PDA

View Full Version : HyperD 1.0 DL hammock

Snowball
01-06-2016, 17:18
I have been thinking about making a DL hammock from HyperD 1.0 but I have some questions.
Will the stretch be reduced by half by making it a DL? In my head it will but perhaps not in real life?
In the past I made a SL hammock in HyperD 1.0 but sadly it was too stretchy for me.

A question for Kyle.
On the web page its specified to be 58-60” wide. Is there a difference from roll to roll or how are we to understand it? The reason I ask is if I decide to make it, it will properly be a two tone hammock (different rolls).

Caminante
01-06-2016, 17:26
Are you opposed to poly? I made a SL hammock from RSBR's 1.1 poly ripstop and the low stretch + UV resistance were nice pluses for me, and it's quite light.

Snowball
01-06-2016, 17:32
Are you opposed to poly? I made a SL hammock from RSBR's 1.1 poly ripstop and the low stretch + UV resistance were nice pluses for me, and it's quite light.
The idea is for a DL because it includes a pad sleeve. I have tried it before and i love the feel of it. Its so soft its second in line after goose down ;)

Caminante
01-06-2016, 20:26
Got it. In that case, I guess I don't know. Clearly the poly 1.1 DL would be less stretchy than 1.0 HyperD DL, maybe even too much so, but I'm not sure how to quantify the reduction in stretch of a DL vs SL. Maybe 1.0 HyperD for the inner layer for the soft feel, and 1.1 poly on the outside to stiffen it up?

hutzelbein
01-07-2016, 05:21
I haven't yet built a 1.0oz HyperD double layer hammock, but for all double layer hammocks I own, the stretch is reduced. I would never be able to sleep in a 1.1oz single layer hammock due to the stretch, but my 1.1oz double layer hammocks are alright for me to use. If you can sleep in a 1.6oz HyperD single layer hammock, you should be fine with a 1.0oz HyperD double layer hammock.

BackpackerGuy
01-07-2016, 07:11
I had a SL 1.6 Hyper D and it was too stretchy for my liking. Added a layer of 1.0 Hyper D to the inside and that made a world of difference. Stretch was almost negligible, and I still have the buttery soft feel.

Dcolon13
01-08-2016, 01:18
Haha, these were basically the exact questions i had. I had a SL Hexon 1.1 hammock that was too stretchy for me. I attached a second layer of 1.0 HyperD and love it. Stretch is reduced and it's very comfortable with a pad.