PDA

View Full Version : pea pod storage question

stevebo
11-18-2009, 14:14
I just received my new peapod--------very exciting! however, now I have to find a place to store it. Ive never owned a down sleeping bag before...............I have a shelf in our closet that is about 60 inches wide, 33 inches deep and about 8 inches high. Is this big enough to store the peapod inbetween trips, or is it too small? I dont want to damage my new peapod! I know you can damage down by compressing it for long periods of time, but how big an area do I have to have to store it?

angrysparrow
11-18-2009, 14:19
I have a shelf in our closet that is about 60 inches wide, 33 inches deep and about 8 inches high. Is this big enough to store the peapod inbetween trips, or is it too small?

That's plenty large enough to store it. The plastic bag that Speer ships it in is actually uncompressed enough to store it, just not the silnylon stuff sack.

Mrprez
11-18-2009, 14:45
Just don't store your bowling balls on top of it and you should be fine.:-)

MacEntyre
11-18-2009, 16:59
Just don't store your bowling balls on top of it...
Don't store your bowling balls on a shelf, whether you have a PeaPod under it or not!

:scared:

stevebo
11-18-2009, 17:31
Thanks guys------its problably the nicest piece of camping equiptment ive ever owned and I m a little paranoid about it! One more question........living in the south, is humidity a problem with storing down items? ( Its in my bed room closet so its in AC most of the year) Do I need to worry about ventilation etc? I know , im big dealing the heck out of this, but I want to do it right! Also, is down like synthetic in that it can loose its loft with time (and along with that its temp rating?) Thanks for the advice!

MacEntyre
11-18-2009, 17:35
...its problably the nicest piece of camping equiptment ive ever owned...
That's a good point! It certainly is the nicest I have ever owned.

...is humidity a problem with storing down items?
The best you can do is store it indoors. Nothing lasts forever!

That said, my father just visited, and after he left I found that he had placed his 40 year old, 12 lb down sleeping bag on the bed. The thing is huge! It still has plenty of loft, and will drive you out of bed if you don't ventilate the heat.

- MacEntyre

Coldspring
11-18-2009, 17:49
You need to take it out when it's rainy, get a splash of mud on it, some wind driven rains, do a little sweating into your backpack.

Stuff it on the shelf, as long as there are no sharp objects on your shelf to puncture it, or mouses running loose. Speaking of mouses, I'd better check my trap, they're moving in for the winter, and I've got too many down things sitting on my shelves. And I know those little guys could build a really nice nest out those bags of 900-fill Speers down laying in my gear closet!

BillyBob58
11-18-2009, 22:37
Thanks guys------its problably the nicest piece of camping equiptment ive ever owned and I m a little paranoid about it! One more question........living in the south, is humidity a problem with storing down items? ( Its in my bed room closet so its in AC most of the year) Do I need to worry about ventilation etc? I know , im big dealing the heck out of this, but I want to do it right! Also, is down like synthetic in that it can loose its loft with time (and along with that its temp rating?) Thanks for the advice!

I don't think you will see any loss of loft in your life time, assuming reasonable storage conditions. Which is to say: not compressed a lot- say in stuff sacks though some compression is probably a-ok. Maybe even the little plastic container Speer shipped it in. And assuming the humidity in your house is any where near normal house humidity, with no water condensing on the walls.

As I recently said, I once left a Patagonia down vest way compressed in it's stuff sack for a long time by accident. There's no telling how long it was stuffed, it might have been 6 months or a year or more. I knew I had ruined it, and it looked pretty flat for a while. But after a while, it puffed back up like a ballon, at least as fat as ever. I think it was actually good for it! :rolleyes: It's years later and still going strong.

Mrprez
11-18-2009, 22:54
Don't store your bowling balls on a shelf, whether you have a PeaPod under it or not!

:scared:

Oh. Maybe that explains the headaches.:confused:

I Splice
11-19-2009, 01:23
My wife sewed a storage sack for mine. It's about 22 x 60 inches - way big. Something like a king-size pillow case should be fine

Hooch
11-19-2009, 05:40
I don't own a PeaPod, but I do have a SnugFit and a Top Blanket. Each are stored separately in large cotton laundry bags I got at Wally World for a couple bucks each. They do the job fine and allow the quilts to breathe, with no condesation problems whatsoever.

lazyboy
11-19-2009, 09:19
ditto on the nicest equipment comment, the peapod is my favorite also. I store mine in the plastic bag it came in .