PDA

View Full Version : Hammock Backpacking in AZ?

Steven Hall
01-22-2016, 11:20
Looking to start backpacking and want to get out as soon as it warms up just a little. Mainly looking for a quick overnight to get me started. Maybe a 2 night, but just with a layover in the same spot. Any suggestions? If anyone wants to join me, that's cool too.

Thanks

Steve

dickstarbuck
01-22-2016, 12:57
I would be interested in any suggestions, too. I live in Atlanta but I have a trip planned to Phoenix next November-December.

jamaulwall
01-22-2016, 16:21
There are tons of great places to hammock camp up near Payson, Flagstaff, or even Prescott. I lived in AZ for a few years but it was prior to my hammock camping days. I've always wanted to go back and hang along the Mogollon Rim. Good luck.

pgibson
01-22-2016, 16:26
There is a ton of info on hammocking in AZ here. There have been and are lots of members from throughout the state and lots of trip reports, trip planning threads, videos, as well as photos from all over the state. Do some digging with the search tools through the various sections, especially planning and reports, you will find a good deal. I have been down for a few trips. Oak Creek is nice and you can hang at several of the campgrounds along the creek, West Oak is a good warm weather hike in spot with hanging options. Kurt Papke has been posting a number of videos about trails around the state to hit with info about camping, water sources, and good detail of the trails. He has a number of them linked to threads here as well a few others on hit youtube page.

LuvmyBonnet
01-22-2016, 16:28
Lots of good places in AZ. I have a friend who lives in Phoenix and we camp up at Apache Lake. Great camping and kayaking. Last year we saw an American Bald Eagle. It was the 5th location I saw an American Bald Eagle in 2015. Good on ya Eagles. A little DDT ain't keeping em down!

kwpapke
01-22-2016, 19:14
Kurt Papke has been posting a number of videos about trails around the state to hit with info about camping, water sources, and good detail of the trails. He has a number of them linked to threads here as well a few others on hit youtube page.
Thanks Paul.

Steven: here's the link to my AZ hiking trail playlist (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLp48EAW5rd5IhoDG8_hqUbop5_TqfzggK). A good starter for you would be the Rogers Trough area in the Supes. One of my videos describes a nice hammock camping area along the Highline Trail near Payson - it's on the edge of the Mogollon Rim, so there's enough elevation to have trees, but not so much that you'll be inundated by snow (though this time of year there likely will be some).

Welcome to AZ!

Steven Hall
01-22-2016, 20:36
Thank you! You don't have to welcome me to the state though, I have lived here all my life.

Hey, do you post some of your videos in the Grand Canyon Hiking and Backpacking page on Facebook? I have watched a couple of those since I joined recently.

dickstarbuck
01-23-2016, 08:46
here's the link to my AZ hiking trail playlist (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLp48EAW5rd5IhoDG8_hqUbop5_TqfzggK). A good starter for you would be the Rogers Trough area in the Supes. One of my videos describes a nice hammock camping area along the Highline Trail near Payson - it's on the edge of the Mogollon Rim, so there's enough elevation to have trees, but not so much that you'll be inundated by snow (though this time of year there likely will be some).

Welcome to AZ!

Thanks Kurt. Sounds like I need to research the Mongollon Rim before November gets here.

kwpapke
01-23-2016, 22:51
Thank you! You don't have to welcome me to the state though, I have lived here all my life.

Hey, do you post some of your videos in the Grand Canyon Hiking and Backpacking page on Facebook? I have watched a couple of those since I joined recently.
Sorry for assuming you were new to AZ! Yes, that's me posting on the FB pages as well. I've found that there's a lot of people interested in backpacking the Big Ditch, but of course you cannot hang your hammock there (with a few exceptions).

Steven Hall
01-23-2016, 22:58
No worries, I just thought it was funny. I hope to try out the Rogers trail when it warms up and I get my new hammock setup.

Randerson
01-24-2016, 13:43
Steven,
I'll second K. Papkes Roger's Trough recommendation. Nice hike. I love the Mogollon Rim, anywhere between Pine/Strawberry and Woods Canyon Lake area. Knoll Lake/Babe Haught trail was a favorite last summer. I'd be up up for a trip. I'm in Cave Creek also.
Rick

Steven Hall
01-24-2016, 18:41
Thanks Randerson! It would be great to have someone along that has done the trail before. I was also unaware that there was anyone in Cave Creek that made Hammock gear. Might have to meet up with you soon.

Randerson
01-24-2016, 19:21
Yea, give me a shout anytime. Btw, you don't have to wait too long gone for it to be warm enough for that Roger's Trough trip. I did it in early December. It was gorgeous.

Steven Hall
01-24-2016, 22:40
Will do. Maybe this upcoming week? I would like to check out some of your gear and we can talk about getting a trip together.

mojeb21
02-07-2016, 11:44
+1 for payson/ Mongollon Rim area! my fav

AZsteelman
02-08-2016, 13:37
Hi - I did a couple of short trips last summer and fall to the Mogollon Rim area, also. Bear Canyon lake and Chevlon Canyon Crossing were fun. I'm in PHX - just south of RAnderson and he makes awesome stuff. I'm sporting one of his tarps!