PDA

View Full Version : Stephenson Warmlite bag/DAM?

Buttercup
11-21-2009, 17:01
Does anyone use a Stephenson bag w/ a down air mattress? We're thinking about buying them for our Clark Vertex b/c they'd give us separate under-insulation options. (I sleep really cold, hubby sleeps really warm.) They're such a huge investment that we don't want to be stuck with something that won't work well in a hammock.

stairguy
11-21-2009, 17:37
You may want to check out this site before you buy.http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.weasel.com/gear_jack.html&ei=22oIS6GWC4_QtgPq_NjACQ&sa=X&oi=spellmeleon_result&resnum=2&ct=result&ved=0CA4QhgIwAQ&usg=AFQjCNEpYln0fc9XGJe-Jp9ZJt6lT7iXyw

Buttercup
11-21-2009, 18:01
Thanks! Yeah, I had seen that information. But it's the *only* negative review I've found. There aren't may reviews at all about the bags, which is why I thought it best to ask folks here.

slowhike
11-21-2009, 18:53
I can't tell you anything about the Stephens bag, but I have one of there DAMs, as well as a similar sized DAM by Exped.
My only concern w/ the Stephens DAM is that it is not as stable to lay on as the Exped.
It's true that the Stephens is a little thicker but there seams to be something different in the baffle design that makes it a little more "wobbly":)

I use both of them lightly inflated. they conform to my body better & are more comfortable that way to me, but I usually don't use the Stephens DAM long before switching back to the Exped.

JerryW
11-21-2009, 18:57
I think the biggest negative to the Stephenson's (http://www.warmlite.com/) line is the weight. It's an interesting concept, but they are very heavy.

BTW - shield your kids eyes while on the site - mild nudity! :eek:

Jerry

madizazzo
11-22-2009, 13:41
I'm an older (62) backpacker just getting back into the loop after many years away. I had back problems and family issues that kept me away. recently I've had a few illnesses that made being outdoors more difficult.

With that as background, I used a Stephenson Warmlite (on the ground) a week ago on a four day hike. Most comfortable bag I ever slept in. Also the warmest. With weater in the mid 30's at night I had only the heavier top cover on and wearing nothing but briefs. I had the bag 75% unzipped on both sides and was too warm.

I think the lightweight top would have been plenty. Based on other bags I've had in the past, their ratings are very conservative. The down air matterss is great. Warm and soft.

oldgringo
11-22-2009, 21:15

Jerry

I peeked. Bizarre. Somebody is making a statement, but danged if I know what it is.

Buttercup
11-23-2009, 11:50
Thanks, everyone!

Slowhike, what size Exped do you have? Do you just put it in your hammock, or do you have extra sheets/quilts to cover it?

Madizazzo, thanks for the info. It definitely seems like a great option for ground sleeping, but we're hoping to not do too much of that. How long have you had your bag? Has it held up well?

slowhike
11-23-2009, 15:21
Slowhike, what size Exped do you have? Do you just put it in your hammock, or do you have extra sheets/quilts to cover it?

Mine is the 74x26" mummy.
I lay directly on top of the DAM, but I'm always wearing some clothing to bed, & in winter, insulated clothing. It's part of my sleep system.

It takes it a few minutes to warm up the insulated space inside, but not bad if your wearing something between you & the DAM.

You can make short work of that "warm up time" if you like, by putting a bottle of very hot water on top of the DAM & covering it w/ your top quilt.
If the water is very hot, be sure to put the hot water bottle inside a sock or wrap it in something that will keep it from directly contacting your skin while it's still that hot. Feels WONDERFUL on a cold night:D

canoebie
11-23-2009, 15:47
I peeked. Bizarre. Somebody is making a statement, but danged if I know what it is.

I'm guessin they are just free souls. And if you read the stuff about Vapor Barriers in their bags, nudity makes complete sense.

Captn
11-23-2009, 16:16

Do you really want to know the weird part?

The nude pics are of the guy who's running the company PARENTS.

Back in the 60/70's his parents started the company and were rampant nudists .... many of the pics are from the original catalog.

I'm sorry ... but no way would I ever put naked pics of my MOM up on the web ... too weird for me.

Captn

oldgringo
11-23-2009, 19:19
^^^A deathbed promise kept?

madizazzo
12-09-2009, 12:12
I've only had my Stephenson bag a year. I found many folks on the net who had bags for many years, some for a decade or more!
Yes, the toal weight is heavy, but it has more 800 fill down than anything out there. My DAM alone weighs 26 oz. The winter top weighs 24 oz, and it's made from lightweight materials. The winter top is 3.8" thick, that's 7.6" loft (loft in a sleeping bag is the SUM of the thickness of two sides, top & bottom). The thin top is 1.8" thick, or 3.6" loft. That's a total loft of 11.2"!
They have a unique hood set up that allows you to sleep on either side and still have a hood.
Don't forget that the bag has it's own vapor barrier lining too. In effect you get a DAM, vapor barrier lining and a bag that can be used as either a heavy or medium weight bag or quilts.
It's a big purchase and deserves a lot of thought. I'm a cold sleeper, a side sleeper and have back problems. I was out recently and the temp dropped in the 30's at night. I used the heavy top as a quilt and slept on the DAM. I wore only shorts and roasted. Should have brought the light top.

Oh-No
12-09-2009, 12:51
Does anyone use a Stephenson bag w/ a down air mattress? .

I have a Stephenson DAM and like it.
But it is significantly heavier than the listed weight on their website.

WarmSoda
01-11-2010, 01:38
You may want to check out this site before you buy.http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.weasel.com/gear_jack.html&ei=22oIS6GWC4_QtgPq_NjACQ&sa=X&oi=spellmeleon_result&resnum=2&ct=result&ved=0CA4QhgIwAQ&usg=AFQjCNEpYln0fc9XGJe-Jp9ZJt6lT7iXyw

OMG!! I have not laughed so much in a long time!! One talks apples and the other oranges and they'll never see eye to eye. :D:D:D

wisenber
01-21-2010, 23:26
In reading that, I don't think I'm qualified to use a Warmlite DAM.:unsure:

Captn
01-22-2010, 18:23
I don't think I am either with only a BS in Mechanical Engineering ....

I think I'll leave this product to the Doctoral crew ....

Dutch
01-22-2010, 18:56
I think the biggest negative to the Stephenson's (http://www.warmlite.com/) line is the weight. It's an interesting concept, but they are very heavy.

Jerry

I seen that shot before and wondered why they have it. I have a hard time looking at the sleeping bag.

Captn
01-22-2010, 19:35
I seen that shot before and wondered why they have it. I have a hard time looking at the sleeping bag.

It's the guy who owns it's parents .... they were confirmed nudists.