PDA

View Full Version : FYI - the Kelty Noah's 16 is pretty much the perfect tarp for two Hammeck Stands

bananachunks
02-08-2016, 20:34
Getting ready for a group moto ride next month in Moab and wanted something a little fancier than a "Walmart blue" to cover the stands at the RV park. Ordered a Noah's 16. Nailed it.

Pennsy Camp and Canoe
02-08-2016, 20:55
wowzers, that's a cool tarp

gunner76
02-08-2016, 22:33
As long as it does not rain you will be ok

bananachunks
02-08-2016, 22:45
Definitely going to have to do something for that possibility, yes. Was thinking of doing some sort of single pole mod with an old tent pole, from the end of one stand to the opposite end of the other, and a centerloop on the tarp.

SilvrSurfr
02-08-2016, 23:10
That does not look like a good way to hang a Kelty 16 (or any other tarp) in the rain. You've got several spots that will collect water and it will leak. Additionally, I don't think you want the tarp resting on the crossbars - those areas will leak too. If at all possible, try to find a way to suspend the tarp without touching anything hammock-related.

The Kelty tarps are pretty bomb-proof, but the way you've got it configured it will probably leak. The weatherproofing on the Kelty is not top-shelf and I think you'll have leaks anywhere you have something pressed against the tarp, as well as those concavities and depressions you've created.

Hopefully it doesn't rain.

ipokebadgers
03-06-2016, 00:13
Bananachunks,

Thanks for posting these pictures. I am about to order my second Hammeck stand and was searching for a tarp to cover both. I will be using it in the Mojave where rain is seldom an issue for eight months out of the year.