PDA

View Full Version : PRE-SALE - ROBIC XL is coming...

ripstopbytheroll
02-09-2016, 22:12
In an effort to push the limits and extend our XL line even further, we have developed and scratch woven a new fabric - and it's a doozey. Tonight I'm proud to introduce 1.0 oz ROBIC XL, the ultralight extra wide XL ripstop nylon. :cool:

-> http://ripstopbytheroll.com/products/1-0-oz-robic-xl-ripstop-nylon

This fabric will probably find a home in other applications, but make no mistake, we built this for making hammocks. I know this is a lofty statement, but we designed 1.0 oz ROBIC XL from the ground up to be the strongest, most durable UL hammock fabric you can buy.

The fabric gets it's name from the yarn used to make it - ROBIC nylon. In fabric speak, yarn is the fiber that's woven together to make the fabric. I'll spare you the tech details and just tell you what you need to know - ROBIC is a special yarn that's up to 50% stronger than standard nylon yarn used in other fabrics. In other words...

ROBIC = Higher Hammock Weight Rating

The abrasion resistance is also much better, which means...

ROBIC = Tougher Hammock

Wrap all that up and you have the strongest, toughest, lightest weight hammock fabric on earth. Promise. If you don't believe after opening the box, send it back to us for a full refund, no questions asked. I'll even pay the shipping :).

PRE-SALE: This fabric is live on the site right now. However, we have a lot going on this week that needs to get done ASAP. That being said, we will begin shipping all standard orders @ 8 am this Friday (2/12/16).

To give them a head start, we will be shipping all vendor orders immediately starting tomorrow morning. Those are the only orders that will ship before Friday.

Lastly, we're running a PRE-SALE ONLY special price of just $6.75 /yd. Please understand that these specialty fabrics cost us more to produce and weave from scratch, so we will not be able to offer this price past the PRE-SALE period or perhaps ever again. Said another way, if you buy during PRE-SALE, you are getting the best deal possible.

For colors, we're starting with a full palette of 12 - Black, Burnt Orange, Charcoal Gray, Coyote Brown, Dark Olive, Deep Purple, Hunter Green, Olive Drab, Racing Red, Robin Egg Blue, Spectra Yellow, and Vader Blue.

So that's it. If you have questions I'll be happy to answer. Have a great night everyone!!!

Thanks

Gresh
02-09-2016, 22:34
I'm ordering 4 yards and sending it to a friend to turn into a hammock.

1.0 fabric to be Gresh tested soon.

ripstopbytheroll
02-09-2016, 22:45
I'm ordering 4 yards and sending it to a friend to turn into a hammock.

WOAH WOAH WOAH.......... JK you should be good :lol:

PappyAmos
02-09-2016, 22:50

:scared::scared::scared:

Gresh
02-09-2016, 22:59
I've been told by somebody "in the know" that this stuff is gonna surprise me, so expect to see a video. If I go through this stuff like wet tracing paper, it'll be for the world to see. lol

Intimidator
02-09-2016, 23:06
Any idea on a comfortability rating?

Ratdog
02-09-2016, 23:07
Dang it !!

I literally just finished my HyperD XL 1.6 this weekend and now this! :lol:

How is the hand of the fabric?

Any plans to introduce a 1.4-1.8oz version of the Robic, say in 30D or 40D?

20D has me concerned, I see the charts and everything and willing to give it a go, especially with my confidence in HyperD 1.6 but 20D 1.0 with the approx strength of HyperD 1.6+?? Is that right. :scared: I have to try it... :cool:

PappyAmos
02-09-2016, 23:31
. . . this stuff is gonna surprise me . . .

That is what I'm afraid of! I would hate it if you couldn't come to the Smoked Butt Hang because of a broken hiney!

latriper
02-09-2016, 23:47
Just placed an order! I'm 250ish. We'll see....

HammockBackpacker
02-10-2016, 00:17
Just placed my order for 4 yards. Combined with my MARA 70 I'm expecting to have a fun DIY weekend coming up soon.

JohannesBrahms
02-10-2016, 01:25
124429 I want it all! I want it all! I want it all! And I want it now!

ocnlogan
02-10-2016, 03:27
Wow, that looks quite nice. So your saying that this should be roughly as strong as the 1.6oz hyperD? That and the width make this a pretty obvious choice for a future hammock, providing its safe for to normal loads /etc.

And I say future, because I too have just recently finished a new hammock, and while this is tempting , I'll likely hold off for now.

hutzelbein
02-10-2016, 06:06
What's the stretch like - does it compare to the 1.9oz ripstop you sell? Or more like the 1.6oz HyperD? I'd love to find a tough, lightweight nylon fabric with low stretch...

Gresh
02-10-2016, 07:45

That seems like a hard thing to quantify. I'd call my bed a 10, but my couch a 7.

Tacblades
02-10-2016, 08:43
So what is the weight rating on the fabric?
As there are a few 1 oz hammock fabrics about.

Also so not to confuse is this the same robic fabric that gossimer gear use?

Thanks

Caminante
02-10-2016, 09:23
That is pretty exciting at that width. A 60" fabric (58-59" usable) makes a good hammock for me especially with my UQ width, but I do find myself wanting about 6" more width to really get spread out. A durable 1oz/yd fabric is right in the sweet spot and that dark olive is very sexy.

Dcolon13
02-10-2016, 09:37
I'm also interested in how much it stretches. All of the other currently available 1.0oz fabrics stretch too much for my liking.

Caminante
02-10-2016, 09:42
I'm also interested in how much it stretches. All of the other currently available 1.0oz fabrics stretch too much for my liking.

Are you opposed to poly? My backpacking rig is a 1.1oz poly ripstop that is fairly firm. Some people don't like the slickness, but I'm usually bundled up so it's irrelevant to me. I like the low stretch and high UV resistance.

JohannesBrahms
02-10-2016, 10:15
Here's a comparison chart from their website: 124438

ripstopbytheroll
02-10-2016, 10:18

Not really enough data to pin this one down, but this is a good bit stronger and LESS stretchy than 1.0 oz HyperD if you've used that. The comfort rating will be higher.

Ron S
02-10-2016, 10:33
Not really enough data to pin this one down, but this is a good bit stronger and LESS stretchy than 1.0 oz HyperD if you've used that. The comfort rating will be higher.

I emailed Papa Smurf to see about changing my Darien to this in dark olive. I'm #3000 so I'm pretty close up in the queue. We'll find out soon I hope.

ripstopbytheroll
02-10-2016, 10:37
Dang it !!

I literally just finished my HyperD XL 1.6 this weekend and now this! :lol:

How is the hand of the fabric?

Any plans to introduce a 1.4-1.8oz version of the Robic, say in 30D or 40D?

20D has me concerned, I see the charts and everything and willing to give it a go, especially with my confidence in HyperD 1.6 but 20D 1.0 with the approx strength of HyperD 1.6+?? Is that right. :scared: I have to try it... :cool:

The hand is along the lines of the 2.2 oz HEX70 in terms of erring on the side of durability over absolute softest possible finish. It's very snag resistant and you will feel like you've got something in your hands when you pick it up. So not as soft as 1.0/1.6 HyperD, but also not hard or overly stiff. A good balance.

Perhaps down the road on a heavier version, but not anytime soon. I understand the concern and skepticism, but keep in mind this is new territory. Right now everyone is calibrated on standard nylon for hammock fabrics. There are incredible things that can be done with fabrics and materials. Most of them just haven't been done or haven't been available to the hammock space or smaller outdoor startups. Making that happen has always been our goal.

I know it sounds crazy, but I think 1.0 oz ROBIC is at least equivalent to 1.6 oz HyperD in terms of durability (abrasion and slippage). I can say that just based on my personal testing. On strength it's probably close. The testing continues.

Dcolon13
02-10-2016, 10:42
Are you opposed to poly? My backpacking rig is a 1.1oz poly ripstop that is fairly firm. Some people don't like the slickness, but I'm usually bundled up so it's irrelevant to me. I like the low stretch and high UV resistance.
I actually slept in a SL 1.2 PolyD for the first time last night and it was my most comfortable sleep in a lightweight hammock so far. It did, however, live up to its reputation for static even after throwing it in the dryer with a dryer sheet. Hope that goes away!

ripstopbytheroll
02-10-2016, 10:51
What's the stretch like - does it compare to the 1.9oz ripstop you sell? Or more like the 1.6oz HyperD? I'd love to find a tough, lightweight nylon fabric with low stretch...

Definitely lower stretch than the 1.0 oz HyperD. I would say similar to or maybe a bit more stretch than the 1.6 oz HyperD, but it will help to get some opinions back from others there. Just based on numbers, the elongation of ROBIC yarn isn't much different from standard nylon.

ripstopbytheroll
02-10-2016, 10:54
So what is the weight rating on the fabric?
As there are a few 1 oz hammock fabrics about.

Also so not to confuse is this the same robic fabric that gossimer gear use?

Thanks

Yes it is the same ROBIC yarn that Gossamer gear uses in their packs. I don't want to overpromise, but on weight rating I think it will hold over 300 lbs based on the tensile strength. We'll be gathering some real world feedback to sure up that number though.

ripstopbytheroll
02-10-2016, 11:25
******An update on shipping....

We have gotten some more help for other projects today and will begin shipping orders shortly. This is a change from the OP. There could be a slight delay, but we are shipping ROBIC orders ASAP.

The PRE-SALE is still good through 8 am Friday.

WaffleBox
02-10-2016, 11:45
Is the charcoal grey closer in color to the charcoal grey HyperD300 or the MEMBRANE sil?

Tacblades
02-10-2016, 11:46
Yes it is the same ROBIC yarn that Gossamer gear uses in their packs. I don't want to overpromise, but on weight rating I think it will hold over 300 lbs based on the tensile strength. We'll be gathering some real world feedback to sure up that number though.
Ok sounds interesting, some weight rating testing is needed i think :)

PapaSmurf
02-10-2016, 12:40
I emailed Papa Smurf to see about changing my Darien to this in dark olive. I'm #3000 so I'm pretty close up in the queue. We'll find out soon I hope.
Not a problem. Email sent.

Ron S
02-10-2016, 12:48
Not a problem. Email sent.

Money is sent. Wooo Hooo !!! We'll see what it's like with about 170 in it. You guys are top shelf and thanks for your help PapaSmurf :cool:

ripstopbytheroll
02-10-2016, 13:13
Is the charcoal grey closer in color to the charcoal grey HyperD300 or the MEMBRANE sil?

More like HD300

Intimidator
02-10-2016, 13:14
That seems like a hard thing to quantify. I'd call my bed a 10, but my couch a 7.
Hahaha. Not what I meant :) .

Snowball
02-10-2016, 13:58
UPS,I did it again :lol: Order placed. Guess I need another hammock (or so +) :woot:

hk2001
02-10-2016, 20:42
I've been told by somebody "in the know" that this stuff is gonna surprise me, so expect to see a video. If I go through this stuff like wet tracing paper, it'll be for the world to see. lol

Yea.. No pressure there... Guess I better take a crash course in sewing before you take a crash course in falling... Thanks.

Gresh
02-10-2016, 20:46
You need friends that don't bully you.

B_rizzle
02-10-2016, 20:50
Who wants to make me one? :)

SilvrSurfr
02-10-2016, 21:28
I gave up 1.0 and 1.1 ounce hammocks a few years ago as too fragile for me. However, I just placed an order for some purple ROBIC 1.0. I guess I'll give it another try!

Now I have to pull out the sewing machine and figure out how to make a hammock. I've sewn a tarp, some tablecloth hammocks and other stuff, but this will be my first hammock!

Now where's my magnifying glass. This one-eyed man will be needing it!

Canahang
02-10-2016, 22:20
Just placed an order for 4 yards. This will be my first DIY hammock. Fingers crossed my Thread injector skills are good enough not to dump me on my butt

berk
02-10-2016, 22:40
Four yards dark olive ordered, will report back once I have a few nights in it!

Elementalscape
02-11-2016, 00:24
Who wants to make me one? :)

I will.
PM for Details.

I have a hammock's worth of dark olive on the way. I'll post up as soon as it's a hammock.

Owlsnest
02-11-2016, 04:47
Oh boy,all I need is another hammock...but I really want to try this stuff and at this price I had to order some!

warbonnetguy
02-11-2016, 18:00
Right now everyone is calibrated on standard nylon for hammock fabrics. I know it sounds crazy, but I think 1.0 oz ROBIC is at least equivalent to 1.6 oz HyperD in terms of durability (abrasion and slippage). I can say that just based on my personal testing. On strength it's probably close. The testing continues.

What do you consider "standard" nylon though? When I go to their website I see they compare the strength of ROBIC to nylon 6, but most places using 1.1 fabric for hammocks are using High Tenacity Nylon 6.6. They are only comparing Robic to the weaker nylon 6 so not a good comparison for the hammock world...What is the tensile strength per inch? I could test it for you if you like.

Gresh
02-11-2016, 18:36
Fightin' words.

howlinmadman
02-11-2016, 20:13
Just placed an order for 4yds of charcoal with spectra yellow thread! I had to do it...I'm in the process of making a new hammock stand...I couldn't put an old hammock on a new stand...right? Makes sense to me anyway!!!

ripstopbytheroll
02-11-2016, 21:20
What do you consider "standard" nylon though? When I go to their website I see they compare the strength of ROBIC to nylon 6, but most places using 1.1 fabric for hammocks are using High Tenacity Nylon 6.6. They are only comparing Robic to the weaker nylon 6 so not a good comparison for the hammock world...What is the tensile strength per inch? I could test it for you if you like.

I would consider standard nylon to be nylon 6, which is what most DIY hammocks and vendors are using at present. ROBIC and nylon 6.6 are similar in tensile strength.

I've seen the 1.1 WBBB and recognized you were using nylon 6.6. It's a nice fabric you have.

KenDen
02-11-2016, 22:11
ROBIC and nylon 6.6 are similar in tensile strength.

I've seen the 1.1 WBBB and recognized you were using nylon 6.6. It's a nice fabric you have.

I have used a few 1.1 nylons for my DIY hammocks, however I none of them held up to abrasion as compared to my 1.1 WBBB. I wondered what the difference in materials was. If ROBIC's abrasion resistance is on par with nylon 66 this should be a great hammock material. I think I will try it and see.

biggcarl
02-11-2016, 22:24
With all due respect, Warbonnet guy brings up a good point. I checked out Hyosung's site who make Robic and they bill it as an economical alternative to Nylon 6/6 and less tensile strength. Here is what they state...

ROBIC TM is specially modified nylon 6 yarn of Hyosung, which is made with extra strength adding, so that ROBIC TM fabric is much more stronger than conventional nylon6 fabric. It can compete with N66 high tenacity fabric with the benefit of competitive price.

And here is the graph,

Which vendors are using nylon 6 for their hammocks as standard?

ripstopbytheroll
02-12-2016, 11:50
With all due respect, Warbonnet guy brings up a good point. I checked out Hyosung's site who make Robic and they bill it as an economical alternative to Nylon 6/6 and less tensile strength. Here is what they state...

ROBIC TM is specially modified nylon 6 yarn of Hyosung, which is made with extra strength adding, so that ROBIC TM fabric is much more stronger than conventional nylon6 fabric. It can compete with N66 high tenacity fabric with the benefit of competitive price.

And here is the graph,

Which vendors are using nylon 6 for their hammocks as standard?

I agree. I think Brandon was trying to point out that he uses nylon 6.6, which is a higher performance fabric very similar to ROBIC. The comparisons I'm making are to standard nylon 6. I call nylon 6 standard because that's the most widely used material by DIYers, cottage vendors, and even some larger hammock companies.

ripstopbytheroll
02-12-2016, 12:00
Lastly, we're running a PRE-SALE ONLY special price of just $6.75 /yd. Please understand that these specialty fabrics cost us more to produce and weave from scratch, so we will not be able to offer this price past the PRE-SALE period or perhaps ever again. Said another way, if you buy during PRE-SALE, you are getting the best deal possible.

For colors, we're starting with a full palette of 12 - Black, Burnt Orange, Charcoal Gray, Coyote Brown, Dark Olive, Deep Purple, Hunter Green, Olive Drab, Racing Red, Robin Egg Blue, Spectra Yellow, and Vader Blue.

So that's it. If you have questions I'll be happy to answer. Have a great night everyone!!!

Thanks

Just an update that we have decided to extend the PRE-SALE on 1.0 oz ROBIC XL through this weekend. Regular pricing will take effect Monday @ 8 am. Thanks!

daneaustin3
02-12-2016, 14:02
STOP TEMPTING ME. I haven't spent any time in the last 2 hammocks I felt compelled to make from new fabrics.
Soon I'll be able to put up a fresh hammock everyday of a camping trip.

LuvmyBonnet
02-12-2016, 14:11
Wow! you guys just keep pushing the envelope. Nice!

FJRpilot
02-12-2016, 20:29
Thanks Kyle, I really appreciate you bringing new, innovative products to our community. Looking forward to trying this out.

Canahang
02-13-2016, 02:02
Thanks Kyle, I really appreciate you bringing new, innovative products to our community. Looking forward to trying this out.

I totally agree. Some vendors are happy introducing a core set of products that sell well and are fine with the resulting homeostasis. Thank god that the cottage vendors that are popular among then hammock community are continually pushing the envelope! And the ppl over at RSBTR are at the top of the heap!

CHSGirl
02-13-2016, 08:58
Been wanting to start a DIY project. 4 yards of burnt orange ordered.

Owlsnest
02-13-2016, 15:36
What the.....I ordered some of the new fabric 2 days ago and it shows up in my mailbox today!!!!
Now thats Jimmy John Fast!!!
Thanks Kyle!

Elementalscape
02-13-2016, 16:28
Sweet, mine showed up as well.

An Elemental Hammock is about to be born.

Codiak
02-13-2016, 16:37
Sniff sniff.. mine gother shipped same day but didn't arrive today... dang you USPS

So much for a long weekend of gear making

hk2001
02-14-2016, 08:28
Spent a (Estimated) -20° night in Robic last night (Thanks Gresh) Granted, I only weigh 250, So I'm not pushing the fabric to it's limits. However, I had every piece of insulation i own in the hammock with me last night, and it was great. In temps that cold I begin to worry if the cold will effect the fabric, but the ROBIC took it like a champ.

This is the closest weather station to me at 8 am: And the house is 900' higher in elevation than it is. So it was chilly :)

Gresh
02-14-2016, 12:22
Spent a (Estimated) -20° night in Robic last night (Thanks Gresh) Granted, I only weigh 250, So I'm not pushing the fabric to it's limits. However, I had every piece of insulation i own in the hammock with me last night, and it was great. In temps that cold I begin to worry if the cold will effect the fabric, but the ROBIC took it like a champ.

This is the closest weather station to me at 8 am: And the house is 900' higher in elevation than it is. So it was chilly :)

Well, now I don't want it any more. It's got gross in it.

Rooster
02-14-2016, 13:24
I ordered 5 yards of Robin Egg blue with neon thread and 6 yards of Vader blue with lime green thread.

hk2001
02-14-2016, 13:37
Well, now I don't want it any more. It's got gross in it.

Fine, I'll keep it. Thanks :D

latriper
02-14-2016, 14:18
I got my order of ROBIC XL in yesterday. Made an eleven foot hammock with cinch buckle suspension, Double folded end channels and 12 foot tree straps.http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/02/14/b95dcec502c870f14fa40d4e35d9ebbb.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/02/14/1c6b471a4e2c5846a976c7a420cd9556.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/02/14/efce76107f278a8710c64547ca0f94ca.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/02/14/d66c876c8914a0883c1efd07e0c3060d.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/02/14/c58c235e22080e41d08258cd62c310f3.jpg

latriper
02-14-2016, 14:51
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/02/14/1a2abafbbdbe3a8195b1d3da81d6bf55.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/02/14/fc136f17d41e2875bbff1b391d384bb1.jpg

I'm 6'1" 250lbs. Fabric feels great!

Caminante
02-14-2016, 15:34
I wish you hadn't posted that, it's just pushing me further to the edge of the cliff. The width looks great. Impeccable stitching, as well.

latriper
02-14-2016, 15:57
I wish you hadn't posted that, it's just pushing me further to the edge of the cliff. The width looks great. Impeccable stitching, as well.
Thanks! Don't worry about the edge of the cliff. It is so much fun stepping off the edge! [emoji2]

mrcheviot
02-14-2016, 19:49
latriper do you have experience with other fabrics you could compare it against? stretch, hand, skin feel, how well it behaves while sewing, etc.? Nice stitching btw, looks nice.

latriper
02-14-2016, 20:06
latriper do you have experience with other fabrics you could compare it against? stretch, hand, skin feel, how well it behaves while sewing, etc.? Nice stitching btw, looks nice.
Hey mrcheviot,
Yes, I do have some experience with other materials. I have made many, many hammocks from 1.9 oz, 1.6 oz Hyper D, Hyper D XL, and one from 2.2 oz Hex XL.
I hate comparing since different people feel different things in regards to fabric, but I will try. The ROBIC fabric feels good against the skin but not quite as soft as 1.6 oz HD but way softer than the 2.2 Hex. Maybe just a tad scratcher than 1.9 but that is minimal at best. I can't say I noticed any more stretch than the 1.6 HD. It seems easier to sew than regular 1.1 oz and you get the feeling that it is a strong fabric. It doesn't seem as "wispy"[emoji2] as regular 1.1 oz.
I will be better able to answer after a few nights in it but first impression is Kyle hit a home run with this fabric. Lightweight but tough fabric that feels good. Hope that helps.

Owlsnest
02-15-2016, 10:51
Do you typically double up your end channel or did you think it was needed due to this particular fabric?
I have never done it,but would if needed.
Thanks

hutzelbein
02-15-2016, 11:15
Do you typically double up your end channel or did you think it was needed due to this particular fabric?

I was wondering as well. Does it even do anything? I always thought that the main stress was on the hammock body. I understand doubling up the complete hammock (= making a double layer), but I'm not sure that doubling up the channel helps. But I'm always happy to learn something new.

latriper
02-15-2016, 11:20
I have never done it,but would if needed.
Thanks
I always double the end channels. I may be wrong but it seems that two layers of fabric would be stronger than one. I believe double layer hammocks have a higher weight raiting than a single layer. Just my opinion though.

Caminante
02-15-2016, 11:29
I double mine. I'm currently using a zip tie in the channel to form the end and larks heading a CL below the knob, so the double channel probably doesn't do much. But I have also larks headed the CL through the end channel, in which case it seems like the double channel would add strength.

hutzelbein
02-15-2016, 11:33
I believe double layer hammocks have a higher weight raiting than a single layer.

That's undisputed. But I don't understand how just doubling up the channel will make the hammock stronger. As far as I understand it, the weight in the hammock is borne by the layer(s) that make(s) up the hammock body. If only the channel consists of two layers, the second layer cannot really carry weight - but maybe my thinking is wrong. I would be interested in hearing some scientific evidence.

warbonnetguy
02-15-2016, 11:57
I agree. I think Brandon was trying to point out that he uses nylon 6.6, which is a higher performance fabric very similar to ROBIC. The comparisons I'm making are to standard nylon 6. I call nylon 6 standard because that's the most widely used material by DIYers, cottage vendors, and even some larger hammock companies.

We are using HT nylon 6.6 30D, But I assumed others were as well, but perhaps they are not.

If you're wanting to know the actual strength of a few fabrics I can run a tensile strength test for you on my fancy dynamometer:) shoot me an email if interested.

Snowball
02-15-2016, 12:27
That's undisputed. But I don't understand how just doubling up the channel will make the hammock stronger. As far as I understand it, the weight in the hammock is borne by the layer(s) that make(s) up the hammock body. If only the channel consists of two layers, the second layer cannot really carry weight - but maybe my thinking is wrong. I would be interested in hearing some scientific evidence.
I have to agree. Just below the last seam there is only one layer (or two) of fabric (the hammock body) and it has to take all the load so …… ? I could understand it if there was wear in the channel but there is not. :confused:
I have never made a DL layer channel but on the other hand I do not hang from channels if the fabric is <1.6oz. Then I larks head the whoopie sling around the fabric and just make a triple rolled hem as a stopper edge. The triple rolled hem has far more bulk so the larks head cannot slide over the end.

latriper
02-15-2016, 13:39
I have to agree. Just below the last seam there is only one layer (or two) of fabric (the hammock body) and it has to take all the load so …… ? I could understand it if there was wear in the channel but there is not. :confused:
I have never made a DL layer channel but on the other hand I do not hang from channels if the fabric is <1.6oz. Then I larks head the whoopie sling around the fabric and just make a triple rolled hem as a stopper edge. The triple rolled hem has far more bulk so the larks head cannot slide over the end.
Yeah, I do not have any scientific evidence. Just the way I have always done it.
It does seem like if stitching through 4 layers of fabric, you would have a stronger seam than just stitching through 2 layers. I may be totally misguided but I feel confident in the double layer channel and confidence makes me sleep great![emoji2]

Codiak
02-15-2016, 14:01
Yeah, I do not have any scientific evidence. Just the way I have always done it.
It does seem like if stitching through 4 layers of fabric, you would have a stronger seam than just stitching through 2 layers. I may be totally misguided but I feel confident in the double layer channel and confidence makes me sleep great![emoji2]

Regardless, it looks great. A plus is the channel can handle a lot of wear and tear. But it always comes down the the weakest link... and that to me seems to be the 3 rows of holes in the 1 layer of fabric. But to each his own... and it's not like we can't/won't make more!

Snowball
02-15-2016, 14:56
Misguided or not (could be me) you have thread injecting skills :thumbup1: It looks great.

latriper
02-15-2016, 14:57
Misguided or not (could be me) you have thread injecting skills [emoji106]1: It looks great.
Thanks Snowball!

Ron S
02-15-2016, 16:00
Looks great to me. I bought the same color and I'm amazed at how it changes from brown to green. I can't wait to go hang out in mine. Beautiful work !!!

Codiak
02-16-2016, 23:04
My order arrived todayet and I finished one 12 foot hammock.

Loved that the fabric doesn't snag easily, and there is no calf ridge to speak of..
I'm 6'5 350 lbs, and it seems to hold up fine.

Looking forward a weekend hanging in this thing

Elementalscape
02-17-2016, 23:37
I'm 6'5 350 lbs, and it seems to hold up fine.

Well this is saying something. We're going to need status checks every five hangs.. Ha.

I do a double channel too.
I always ensure that the inner channel has enough diameter to butt up against the outer channel.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26285612/0217161838_HDR.jpg

Not sure I accomplished showing this in the photo, but that was the point.

Weight-bearing properties aside - Using a piece of cord and vigorously sawing through the channel, I bet I could saw through one layer quicker than I could get through two.
It's only a gut feeling, I'm not about to test it obviously. Nor is it real world. I also feel like four layers of fabric combine to strengthen the three stitch lines, which would still be three stitch lines even with a single layer channel.

I haven't hung the new ROBIC hammock yet, and it's 126"x64". Curious about the extra width.
The material feels more rigid than HyperD, not quite as soft or smooth but still very nice. It sews easier than 1.1 ripstop.

Codiak
02-18-2016, 00:52
Well this is saying something. We're going to need status checks every five hangs.. Ha.

I do a double channel too.
I always ensure that the inner channel has enough diameter to butt up against the outer channel.

Not sure I accomplished showing this in the photo, but that was the point.

Weight-bearing properties aside - Using a piece of cord and vigorously sawing through the channel, I bet I could saw through one layer quicker than I could get through two.
It's only a gut feeling, I'm not about to test it obviously. Nor is it real world. I also feel like four layers of fabric combine to strengthen the three stitch lines, which would still be three stitch lines even with a single layer channel.

I haven't hung the new ROBIC hammock yet, and it's 126"x64". Curious about the extra width.
The material feels more rigid than HyperD, not quite as soft or smooth but still very nice. It sews easier than 1.1 ripstop.

I've been using the channel simply as a guide for a zip-tie and then use a lock larks head with a continuous loop as whipping. Channel helps a lot as I've been doing 3-5 inch cat cuts on the ends to remove the calf ridge.

I agree with your comparison to HyperD and ripstop in general.
But I am more interested in a comparison to 2.2 HEX70 XL as it's the width I enjoy most

The Robic is far softer and I couldn't really tell a difference with stretch...
While the Robic clearly holds my weight I must admit I "feel" more secure with the 2.2, the rougher feel of the 2.2 maybe why... it just "feels" tough!

I can clearly see a dual layer hammock made of Robic in my near future for a skeeter beater

PNWHiker
02-18-2016, 01:41

I also Have an order in for a Darien made from black Robic. Please let us know what you think when you get your hammock! I'm dying to know but I have a while to wait....

SilvrSurfr
02-18-2016, 01:48
I got my purple ROBIC fabric a couple of days ago. It's not a bright purple, almost black. I hope to get the sewing machine set up in the next week and make a gathered-end hammock with triple stitched channel ends (single channel only - I don't see the point in double channels).

Not sure about width yet - I'm probably gonna aim for 62" wide since I'm not ready for wider.

Ron S
02-18-2016, 06:06
I also Have an order in for a Darien made from black Robic. Please let us know what you think when you get your hammock! I'm dying to know but I have a while to wait....

USPS has it right now. I'll take it out as soon as it gets here and let you know what I think about it. It's an 11' X 64" single layer so when you see me in it you can compare it to what you ordered :cool:

mahaney
02-18-2016, 21:30
You guys made me spend money....Ordered kit yesterday to make an 11 footer...Dark olive FTW..

J

Elementalscape
02-18-2016, 21:51
126" x 64", came in at 14.5 ounces, including the cinch buckles and 12' straps.

Canahang
02-18-2016, 22:37
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160219/bdd552bb864d2a6dedc33bce4237daa0.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160219/38855dd827e733cb48371b0c88bb3301.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160219/b72aa34008852c127de2e409383ff4b9.jpg

I've created a monster!

Final dimensions were 142"x61"
Final weight with 8" 7/64 continuous loops and zing it ridge line came out to a minuscule 8.6oz

This thing is huge. Scary huge. I'm 6'3 and this thing has zero calf ridge and a crazy flat lay.

JasonACraft
02-18-2016, 23:47
I've created a monster!

Final dimensions were 142"x61"
Final weight with 8" 7/64 continuous loops and zing it ridge line came out to a minuscule 8.6oz

This thing is huge. Scary huge. I'm 6'3 and this thing has zero calf ridge and a crazy flat lay.

Also 6'3".....this sounds amazing. What a beast! How does an uq hang on it?

Canahang
02-19-2016, 00:32
Also 6'3".....this sounds amazing. What a beast! How does an uq hang on it?

I have a regular width 3/4 from HG. It hangs the same mostly since I had to take up some of the shock chord on the primary originally, I had it tied up in a slippery hitch so I just let it down to help with the extra foot in length over my sparrow and it works pretty well

PNWHiker
02-19-2016, 01:44
USPS has it right now. I'll take it out as soon as it gets here and let you know what I think about it. It's an 11' X 64" single layer so when you see me in it you can compare it to what you ordered :cool:

Huh... Exactly the same dimensions I ordered for my Darien.

Tacblades
02-19-2016, 03:16
Think it will take a lot to move me from hexon 1.0 as it does everything i need and very silky feel.

But for the odd hammock i make for heavier loads this may be an option. Waiting for some proper stress strength testing to destruction. :)

Codiak
02-21-2016, 13:06
My son and I slept in the backyard last night on our new 12 foot RobicXL hammocks.

I'm 6'5 350lbs, he is 49 inchs and 59lbs

Temps ranged from the low 40s to upper 20s

While I had reservations about a single layer having enough support, that doubt is now in the past.
Visual inspection this morning revealed no obvious stress points as I'd expected. For the record I am a side sleeper that tosses and turns all night... this fabric wasn't babied, that's for sure.

As to the fabric feel, it did not seem to stretch and was clearly taught and smooth while I was laying in it. I found it so soft that I was having issues telling where my TV ended and the hammock begin....

No calf ridge was a real pleasure, but so too was width of hammock. For the first time I actually managed to sleep in a hammock without leg cramps!!

Fantastic material, more than happy with the strength and feel.... dual layer is next but now it's only about preventing mosquitos bites

A very happy customer

Canahang
02-21-2016, 14:28
No calf ridge was a real pleasure, but so too was width of hammock. For the first time I actually managed to sleep in a hammock without leg cramps!!

For you non-xl hammocks try hanging your foot end a little higher, the cramps are usually caused by hyperextending the knees when in the hammock. Or stuff something under the back of your knees before you go to sleep. It should help

Codiak
02-21-2016, 14:34
For you non-xl hammocks try hanging your foot end a little higher, the cramps are usually caused by hyperextending the knees when in the hammock. Or stuff something under the back of your knees before you go to sleep. It should help

Head lower works to some extent, but tall heavier peeps can use long hammocks, cat cuts on the ends as well which I did in this case.

As to cramps, there are many reasons inclouding hyper extention which can cause them... for me I believe it was the construction leg pressure pushing the side of the hammock out from the calf ridge.
Everytime I roll and returned to by back I was digging the heal in at the rig and pushing to the outer edge.

I found with the wider width and no ridge I wasn't doing this unnatural activity

ripstopbytheroll
02-21-2016, 17:00
My son and I slept in the backyard last night on our new 12 foot RobicXL hammocks.

I'm 6'5 350lbs, he is 49 inchs and 59lbs

Temps ranged from the low 40s to upper 20s

While I had reservations about a single layer having enough support, that doubt is now in the past.
Visual inspection this morning revealed no obvious stress points as I'd expected. For the record I am a side sleeper that tosses and turns all night... this fabric wasn't babied, that's for sure.

As to the fabric feel, it did not seem to stretch and was clearly taught and smooth while I was laying in it. I found it so soft that I was having issues telling where my TV ended and the hammock begin....

Fantastic material, more than happy with the strength and feel.... dual layer is next but now it's only about preventing mosquitos bites

A very happy customer

Great to hear everything is working out! I appreciate the real world feedback too. 350 lbs is impressive. Let us know how things go with continued use.

X-Ringcutter
02-22-2016, 02:30
I just finished a dual layer hammock out of robicXL for my daughter's birthday, it is my first Diy hammock. She will be 7 in March. It is racing red inside and deep purple outside layer stitched in Amaranth/Pink? We are both new to hammocks. It was also the first time in my 36 years of life that I ever used a thread injector. I even had to buy a machine but got a good deal on a local machine off evil-bay got a vintage singer 403.
After see the the awesome diy stuff here I'm embarrassed to post any pics, I haven't taken any yet just tested it after I finished and then stashed it. I did make whoopies and straps too! I'm only 210 but it held me just fine no ripping, popping, or scary sounds of any kind.

Next I have to start on my 12' hammock out of 1.6 HyperD XL

Thanks Kyle and RSBTR crew! I also I want to thank everyone here you have no idea how much info and experience I lurked from this site before I had to join.
Shug and his videos.
I've been bitten!!

berk
02-23-2016, 21:50
Just finished sewing mine, single layer of the dark olive, finished length of 11', full width. Paracord to gather the ends. Very easy to work with. TurtleDog stand will be set up tomorrow night!

JasonACraft
02-24-2016, 09:08
Just finished sewing mine, single layer of the dark olive, finished length of 11', full width. Paracord to gather the ends. Very easy to work with. TurtleDog stand will be set up tomorrow night!

Oh no!!!! You said the 'p' word!!! On this forum!?! Prepare for corrective action!

TFC Rick
02-24-2016, 11:02
Oh no!!!! You said the 'p' word!!! On this forum!?! Prepare for corrective action!

There is nothing wrong with using Paracord like he has. In general, the community warns new users against hanging from it. (But I also get your point:rolleyes:)

berk
02-24-2016, 13:41

LOL, I know it! I only utilize HF-approved Amsteel for suspension elements[emoji1]

Codiak
02-27-2016, 20:56
A second night of hanging in my single layer and still no strain indicators.

Additionally my 5 year old, 60+lb 49 inches boy decided to dive bomb me by jumping on top of me at a park today. Then proceeded to swing us. Again no issues.... now I admit I hung the thing just a few inches from the ground just in case, but if it's holding an active 410lb load...I'm done working about this stuff holding up..

dual layer for bug protection is going to be my dream hanger at 1 lbs with ridgeline.. single layer with ridgeline is 8.1oz

X-Ringcutter
03-04-2016, 18:09
dual layer for bug protection is going to be my dream hanger at 1 lbs with ridgeline.. single layer with ridgeline is 8.1oz

I weighed the double layer I made for my daughter today. With the 8' tree straps(1''), 3 3/4'' arrow shaft toggles, 6' 1/8 amsteel whoopies, a zing it(2.2mm) adjustable ridgeline all in a 2.2hex70 double ended stuff sack for a grand total of 1.19 lbs or 540g or 19.04 oz.

The hammock I made for her is only 8'8'' or 104 inches oal, but I still think you can hit 1 lb in an adult sized hammock, because I wasn't trying to go lite.

Codiak
03-04-2016, 18:54
Dual layer. 11.5 foot hammock, zingit ridgeline and amsteel continous loop tie outs plus dual open stuff bag 1.09 oz

Codiak
03-04-2016, 21:15
Kyle,
I'm really impressed with the comfort, strength and weight of this material.
Its near a dream default goto material that's easy to work with.

So I'm have got to ask:
Can we get it in pure white?
How about a sil version? Pu3000?
Calendered?

Down quilts check...
Tarps yeah I'm thinking so
Hammocks... yeah got that.
Pack covers...yep
Packs....yep
UQ protectors...yah

Snowball
03-06-2016, 05:38
Yesterday I made my first ROBIC hammock. When I bought it (8yd) my intensions was to make a DL hammock but because of the positive feedback I decided to give it a chance as a SL hammock.
I have made a hammock in HyperD 1.0 oz and normal 1.0oz in the past but it had too much stretch for my taste but Robic is different regarding stretch IMO. It’s also easy to sew. Generally I am positive surprised.
BUT….
The hammock I made was not rectangular but had a mod forcing me more out to the head side edge. All the tests was fine no problems so I decided to sleep in it last night at home. Then I woke up in the middle of the night with my shoulder over the edge:scared: I tried to adjust my position but I could not because the side had stretched. Again please have in mind this was NOT a normal shaped hammock is I am fairly sure it’s one of the reasons. I doubt it would have happened if it was rectangular shaped because then there is more fabric on both sides to take the load, more even load spread if you will. I changed hammocks and went back to sleep.

I checked it again this morning and as far as I can tell it’s more or less back in its original shape.

So what did I learn from this? The hammock did have a rolled hem but apparently it also stretched.
My next step will be to partly rip the end channels in all 4 corners and roll the hem a few times more to make it stronger. It is a no go if there is stretch on the edges.
BTW I am 190ish Lbs
I do not blame the fabric because I knew I may be pushing the limit and it’s a risk we have to take sometimes and I doubt it would have happened if it was a normal hammock.
If you are in the same weight class as me I will recommend you give your hems an extra roll or two from the start so it doesn’t happen just to be on the safe side. The fabric is plenty wide so I doubt you won’t feel the difference.

I still love this fabric but we have to learn its limitations.

Canahang
03-06-2016, 07:41
Yesterday I made my first ROBIC hammock. When I bought it (8yd) my intensions was to make a DL hammock but because of the positive feedback I decided to give it a chance as a SL hammock.
I have made a hammock in HyperD 1.0 oz and normal 1.0oz in the past but it had too much stretch for my taste but Robic is different regarding stretch IMO. It’s also easy to sew. Generally I am positive surprised.
BUT….
The hammock I made was not rectangular but had a mod forcing me more out to the head side edge. All the tests was fine no problems so I decided to sleep in it last night at home. Then I woke up in the middle of the night with my shoulder over the edge:scared: I tried to adjust my position but I could not because the side had stretched. Again please have in mind this was NOT a normal shaped hammock is I am fairly sure it’s one of the reasons. I doubt it would have happened if it was rectangular shaped because then there is more fabric on both sides to take the load, more even load spread if you will. I changed hammocks and went back to sleep.

I checked it again this morning and as far as I can tell it’s more or less back in its original shape.

So what did I learn from this? The hammock did have a rolled hem but apparently it also stretched.
My next step will be to partly rip the end channels in all 4 corners and roll the hem a few times more to make it stronger. It is a no go if there is stretch on the edges.
BTW I am 190ish Lbs
I do not blame the fabric because I knew I may be pushing the limit and it’s a risk we have to take sometimes and I doubt it would have happened if it was a normal hammock.
If you are in the same weight class as me I will recommend you give your hems an extra roll or two from the start so it doesn’t happen just to be on the safe side. The fabric is plenty wide so I doubt you won’t feel the difference.

I still love this fabric but we have to learn its limitations.

I'm about your size and have had zero problems with a single rolled triple stitched channel.

Perhaps the shape is what's doing it, maybe try whipping the ends so you can play around with the tension closer to the edges?

Snowball
03-06-2016, 08:02
I'm about your size and have had zero problems with a single rolled triple stitched channel.

Perhaps the shape is what's doing it, maybe try whipping the ends so you can play around with the tension closer to the edges?
I am relative sure the mod i made was a big part of it because my weight was shifted towards the edge. It was hung from the channels in both ends, triple stitched but no visible problems there.

A normal hem has 3 layers of fabric.
Before.
After. I rolled the hem additional 2 times and sewed it again so now it has 5 layers. I hope it will do the trick.
126295 126296

Now I have ripped the channels ends i will make the edges a bit more taut.

Edit:
I spend a few hours in the hammock after I doublet the hems and it looks like it did the trick so no matter what style hammock you are making its something you should consider IMO.
I'm still impressed with this fabric so i hope it holds.

Dcolon13
03-06-2016, 16:50
I have made a hammock in HyperD 1.0 oz and normal 1.0oz in the past but it had too much stretch for my taste but Robic is different regarding stretch IMO.

How would you compare the stretch to PolyD or a heavier 1.6 or 1.9 nylon? I'd love to go lighter and and wider, but really don't like much stretch at all.

howlinmadman
03-06-2016, 17:15
Do you think I should be worried about this?126319126320126321 I noticed this today along with a couple little pin holes. Its right about where my butt/belt line would be, I don't know if I sat in it and something on my pants snagged it or what. I am 5' 10" and about 165. This is my first full size hammock I've made and it is just for use at the house and or on vacation/car trips. Since making it I have kept it on my Turtledog stand in the basement, its funny because every time I go down to the basement I just have to lay in it! If only my exercise equipment in the next room would call to me like my hammock does!!!

Snowball
03-07-2016, 10:19
How would you compare the stretch to PolyD or a heavier 1.6 or 1.9 nylon? I'd love to go lighter and and wider, but really don't like much stretch at all.
How much a given fabric will stretch depends on your weight but the hammock design can also have an impact.
I have never tried PolyD so i have no clue.
I have made several hammocks in HyperD 1.6 and Robic does stretch a bit more IMO but i can not give you any indications of how much. I don't know how to describe it and you cannot compare the hammock i made with a "normal" hammock because the design is different. I am relative sure they would behave different but i haven't tried so i don't know for sure. Only Kyle can give you give you a number if he got it but a number don't say anything it is just that a number. Its about comfort something you have to try so if in doubt and you are in the same weight class as me or below try it ;)

Snowball
03-07-2016, 10:35
Do you think I should be worried about this?126319126320126321 I noticed this today along with a couple little pin holes. Its right about where my butt/belt line would be, I don't know if I sat in it and something on my pants snagged it or what. I am 5' 10" and about 165. This is my first full size hammock I've made and it is just for use at the house and or on vacation/car trips. Since making it I have kept it on my Turtledog stand in the basement, its funny because every time I go down to the basement I just have to lay in it! If only my exercise equipment in the next room would call to me like my hammock does!!!
I am no expert on this but i would not worry (yet). If it spreads somehow then maybe....
Always empty your pockets etc. before entering a hammock including no knifes or similar on the belt.
Also keep cats and dogs away from your hammock.

Use it as an excuse to make a new hammock ;)

Ratdog
03-07-2016, 12:58
I am no expert ...Also keep cats and dogs away from your hammock.

What did @Snowball just say?!?!?!?

http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t439/Ratdogman/2dognight.jpg (http://s1059.photobucket.com/user/Ratdogman/media/2dognight.jpg.html)

Nothing important...go back to sleep.
http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t439/Ratdogman/0f892e0adcee80f7266e31df5a44d7eb.jpg (http://s1059.photobucket.com/user/Ratdogman/media/0f892e0adcee80f7266e31df5a44d7eb.jpg.html)

Snowball
03-07-2016, 14:25
Nice dogs..........

benfishin
03-07-2016, 21:12
If anybody wants my kit that I bought and gave up on once I saw Dutch's post about wide hammocks today, it's available here: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showpost.php?p=1597943

I never even started on it; the kit is untouched.

FreakinJohn
03-09-2016, 00:01
The next ROBIC weights should be 1.6 oz and 2.2 oz. I would love to experiment with making backpacks and this might be the perfect material!

ripstopbytheroll
03-09-2016, 18:54
The next ROBIC weights should be 1.6 oz and 2.2 oz. I would love to experiment with making backpacks and this might be the perfect material!

The next ROBIC is actually finished. It's not 1.6 or 2.2, but it is AWESOME.

Codiak
03-09-2016, 19:04
Oh come on don't leave us hanging

ripstopbytheroll
03-10-2016, 00:27
Oh come on don't leave us hanging

Fair enough... it's a PACK fabric. And not just in Black :). There are a couple small to mid size pack companies that should be using it to some extent, which is one of the coolest parts of what I do. High-end fabrics and color options shouldn't just be reserved for the big names in outdoor.

OH yeah, and now I can finally try my hand at a pack. Watch out.

Ron S
03-10-2016, 06:14
Lighter than but just as durable as 210 Robic maybe ? My wife wants an OHM pretty bad but we've been waiting thinking there may be some future correlation to this ?

ripstopbytheroll
03-10-2016, 10:52
Lighter than but just as durable as 210 Robic maybe ? My wife wants an OHM pretty bad but we've been waiting thinking there may be some future correlation to this ?

No this will geared towards heavier duty packs. Stronger and a bit heavier than the 210D.

Caminante
03-10-2016, 14:22
Fair enough... it's a PACK fabric. And not just in Black :). There are a couple small to mid size pack companies that should be using it to some extent, which is one of the coolest parts of what I do. High-end fabrics and color options shouldn't just be reserved for the big names in outdoor.

OH yeah, and now I can finally try my hand at a pack. Watch out.

Swoon. Just ordered a sample of the 420D and 3D mesh's as phase I of a pack project. Can't wait to see this new fabric and compare pack project notes.

Snowball
03-12-2016, 03:49
Time for me to evaluate 1.0 oz ROBIC XL
I have just inspected my single layer ROBIC 1oz hammock.
Nothing negative to report.
The SUM of time I have spend in it in total is approx 7 nights (full time + naps) and I am approx 190lbs.

No signs of permanent stretch I can see or any other damage including the channels its hung by. I would expect to see stretch around the channel seams (3) in the mid section of the hammock IF I had pushed the limit too far but nothing of the kind.
I am actually positive surprised because I expected to see something.
Now I have a hurdle or a mindset I have to deal with and I don’t think I am alone. It is thin so will it hold me? Apparently it will and so far it does a good job. For many of us I think there is a kind of psychological barrier we have to deal with (I do) when it comes to thin materials. In our minds thicker materials is better and safer.
Will it last as long as a hammock in a thicker fabric? Time will show but I doubt it will but IMO it is what we should expect. Thicker materials is likely to last longer because its more robust but everything has price (weight and bulk) and nothing will last forever.

Any regrets (my first build in this fabric)?
Yes, but it’s all on me and my hammock design.

The first thing is I will not build a hammock again in this fabric without rolling the side hems at least 4 or 5 times. Please see post #106
The second thing is I regret I did not make the hammock a bit more narrow but it’s my personal preference. I should have made it around 62”-64” wide it would have been more appropriate VS. full width.

Assessment :thumbup1: