PDA

View Full Version : Poncho/tarp - Equinox or golite?

Arkwater
10-18-2006, 07:29
I've seen both of these on the net for around $45. Does anyone have either? Pros-Cons. Your input is needed. Thanks, Arkwater
P.S. Does anyone know the weight of the surplus military ripstop poncho? Looking at that too.

nchiker467
10-18-2006, 17:01
I've heard that a military poncho isnt big enough, at least on a HH.

Seeker
10-19-2006, 20:21
army issue poncho works, but you have to hang it diagonally, which some folks don't like because they think the ends will get wet... all depends how you hang it.

i don't remember exactly, but i think it was somewhere around a pound, maybe 14 oz... still too heavy for use as a tarp... you can get just about the same coverage from the stock fly on a Hennessy for 7.something oz, and a whole lot more for 14-16 oz.

SuperTroll
10-20-2006, 14:59
I have the Equinox Backpacker Poncho.....I would not use it for a hammock, it is to small for adequate coverage....

Check out SGT Rock's page for his Silnylon Poncho Tarp...larger and more useful as a tarp for a hammock...there are folks on WhitBlaze will make you one if you don't sew.

Just Jeff
10-20-2006, 17:16
There are some pics here (http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingDry.html) of ponchos over hammocks - Equinox is one of them. Couldn't say how well it works, though.

Arkwater
10-20-2006, 18:25
I have the Equinox Backpacker Poncho.....I would not use it for a hammock, it is to small for adequate coverage.

SuperTroll is yours the reg. length or the extended length.