PDA

View Full Version : >Canada>Ontario>Algonquin in Springtime 2016

keg
03-09-2016, 20:28

Figure it's time to start discussing Algonquin in May.

Canoes, good food, all the usual.

Possible weekends in the order of preference:
May 6-8 ( a bit early but with this year's weather I'd expect an early ice out)
May 27-29 (starting into bug season for those who really care.
May 20-23 (long weekend busy but easier for some to get time off)

I've left the 13th-15th off the list because I'm taking students backpacking that weekend but of course if that is what works for people, so be it.

Location? As long as there is water I'm good though probably leaving off of HWY 60 would make sense since some of the other access roads can be difficult in spring.

Bluknu
03-13-2016, 23:26
This sounds like fun. I hope I can make it. I am on holidays the week of May 22 but will be away at a piping competition May 27-29.

I really can't wait for soft water and camping. :)

LuvmyBonnet
03-15-2016, 18:05
I've been wanting to get to Algonquin for a while. I would want to do more of an extended trip as it is a bit of a far trip for me(4.5 hrs each way) for just the weekend. Unfortunately I think I have plans for May 29th weekend. I'll keep an eye on this thread and see how it pans out. I definitely want to be in a canoe in Canada at some point this year!

OotN'Aboot
03-16-2016, 13:06
6-8 would be my preference. I'd love to make it out to one of these, finally.

LuvmyBonnet
03-16-2016, 20:11
I vote 20th-23rd. I like the extra day.

Packrat69
03-16-2016, 21:04
Where in the park would this be happening, I live on the eastern door step of the park Just an hours drive from Achray access point

Godisgr8
03-17-2016, 15:33
i'm game. Can't wait till I get out as only been testing on my back yard. Looking forward to meeting local hangers.

KeeWayKeno
03-18-2016, 08:45
If date established fairly soon I'd love to try my first group hang. Huge bonus it'll be in my favourite place! I also vote for 20-23 but would be happy to extend a day or two either side of that if others want to ... may do so anyway even if solo.

Jayson
03-18-2016, 18:28
Long weekend would be nice. Might I suggest putting in at Canoe and heading into Burnt Island Lake or possibly Little Otterslide. Its a nice easy paddle and non of the portages are terribly taxing.

OotN'Aboot
03-18-2016, 18:30
I would love to canoe in but the logistics might be tough for some people.

Bubba
03-18-2016, 19:44
FYI, Mothers day is May 8th. May matter to some.

OotN'Aboot
03-18-2016, 19:57
GOOD CALL! No can do for the 8th then.

Jayson
03-18-2016, 22:33
Dont want to hijack Kegs thread, but after talking with my buddy Mark we have decided to do Burnt Island lake May 20 to 23. Happy to have the group join us or not...up to you all.

Bluknu
03-18-2016, 23:35
What are the portages like into Burnt Island? I'll have to dig my map out. I'm ok with a couple of easy portages but I have really bad knees and usually try to keep to the easier ones. Lol

Oh and at the moment I don't have a human canoeing partner so that's a consideration too. :)

Jayson
03-19-2016, 08:16
There are a couple portages but non are terrible. I didthe same basic route last year wih my father and he managed it just gine. He is not in the best shape but did fine.

KeeWayKeno
03-19-2016, 08:28
What are the portages like into Burnt Island? I'll have to dig my map out. I'm ok with a couple of easy portages but I have really bad knees and usually try to keep to the easier ones. Lol

Oh and at the moment I don't have a human canoeing partner so that's a consideration too. :)
Only 3 portages, longest one an easy 435 m & if memory serves pretty level. Beautiful paddle in too.

Jayson .. any idea where on the lake you might camp? Big lake I've travelled through but never camped on, wondering where the good spots are ... also considering adding a day or two before or after.

campergf23
03-19-2016, 08:55
The island site closest to canoe lake is a great site! More than enough room for a flock(?) of hammocks!

Jayson
03-20-2016, 09:11
We didnt discuss where on the lake we will stay. Likely at least midway through and on the Northern shore.

keg
03-20-2016, 13:50
Dont want to hijack Kegs thread, but after talking with my buddy Mark we have decided to do Burnt Island lake May 20 to 23. Happy to have the group join us or not...up to you all.

If that's what works for people I'd be fine with it.

The portage from Canoe to Joe is essentially a flat road and according to jeff's maps the other two portages are almost flat as well. And I'm sure people are willing to lend a hand as needed. Usually we're able to figure out paddling partners for those in need.

And non-human paddling partner? Can we make guesses? Ghosts? A trained gorilla would make portages easier.

Bluknu
03-20-2016, 18:29
I've done the Canoe to Joe but went the other way to Tom Thomson. That one was piece of cake. The hardest part was the big a$$ beaver dam into Tom Thomson. Lol

My non human canoeing partner isn't much of a paddler. More of a navigator. Lol she's not very good at warning about underwater obstructions tho. She's a ShihTsu/poodle cross. Lol I highly doubt my boyfriend would be coming so I might be on the lookout for a paddling partner. If not I would manage. I'll just have to pack extra careful. I'd have a better idea in a couple of weeks if I can get the full amount of time off work.

Godisgr8
03-21-2016, 15:19
Either Algonquin or Burnt Lake i'm good either way. Just be happy to test my gear and getting OUT. Let's just get the dates confirmed.
I don't have a canoe but can paddle.

Lofty
03-28-2016, 13:25
Not sure of what I'm working in May - weekends are most definitely out for me

Whatever you guys decide - I'll be looking forward to the trip report

Jayson
04-01-2016, 12:45
So, after some further discussion with my buddy we have decided to do some backpacking instead of canoeing. Have a good trip everyone.

LuvmyBonnet
04-01-2016, 15:11
Hope this thread grows some legs because I am being ask by a buddy to do a trip to Tennessee in May. i can only hold him off so long as he wants to book it. I wouldn't mind going to Ten. but I have really wanted to get up to Algonquin. The pictures I have seen are beautiful.

Bluknu
04-01-2016, 23:42
Tennessee is beautiful in May. I was in Gatlinburg in early May once. Absolutely gorgeous! Personally I think Algonquin is most beautiful late September to mid October. I always plan a trip there then.

I don't know what anyone else is doing but I am aiming for the May 20-23 off work. I'll know better by the middle of next week. A little bit of fly fishing for brookies would be just what the Dr ordered. :)

LuvmyBonnet
04-02-2016, 08:02
A little bit of fly fishing for brookies would be just what the Dr ordered. :)
This would be wonderful! I just bought a Tenkara set up and I really don't know what I'm doing. It would be great to get some pointers from someone who has experience. :thumbup:

Bluknu
04-02-2016, 20:32
Oxtongue River in Algonquin holds a special place in my heart as the place I caught my very first brook trout as a child. Me fishing with worms and a bobber and my dad his fly rod. I have never fished with the tenkara but have tied tenkara flies. I have done a little Spey and nymphed with the longer 10 and 11" rods. I think there are some techniques there that might translate to tenkara. My favourite are my bamboo rods although I currently don't have a nice light one for small stream brookie fishing. I do have a Leonard Baby Catskill clone blank I really should get on finishing. :)

Anyway I for one am looking forward to May and hopefully meeting some people and enjoying some hammocking. I had mine out a couple of weekends ago and it sure was comfy. Just doing some tweaking to make sure it'll be warm and comfy. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

KeeWayKeno
04-02-2016, 22:02
I'm up for that! Is destination still up for discussion? Just thinking ... Burnt Island Lake isn't a Brookie lake, just Smallies & Lakers like most of the Hwy 60 corridor. Tim &/or Rosebary up the west side are Brookie lakes with good access & almost no portages but might be a bit (or a lot) further drive for some. I'm sure there are other alternatives ... ?

LuvmyBonnet
04-02-2016, 23:54
Oxtongue River in Algonquin holds a special place in my heart as the place I caught my very first brook trout as a child. Me fishing with worms and a bobber and my dad his fly rod. I have never fished with the tenkara but have tied tenkara flies. I have done a little Spey and nymphed with the longer 10 and 11" rods. I think there are some techniques there that might translate to tenkara. My favourite are my bamboo rods although I currently don't have a nice light one for small stream brookie fishing. I do have a Leonard Baby Catskill clone blank I really should get on finishing. :)

Anyway I for one am looking forward to May and hopefully meeting some people and enjoying some hammocking. I had mine out a couple of weekends ago and it sure was comfy. Just doing some tweaking to make sure it'll be warm and comfy. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I'm up for that! Is destination still up for discussion? Just thinking ... Burnt Island Lake isn't a Brookie lake, just Smallies & Lakers like most of the Hwy 60 corridor. Tim &/or Rosebary up the west side are Brookie lakes with good access & almost no portages but might be a bit (or a lot) further drive for some. I'm sure there are other alternatives ... ?

It all looks amazing to me. I'm up for anywhere but would prefer the premium fishing spot.

Bluknu
04-02-2016, 23:54
I was wondering about that section too. I've only done that area with a canoeing partner. There's just the one portage but there are a bunch of beaver dams on the Tim. During high water we just ran them and then just had to drag the canoe back over on the way back. it is brutal being stuck on the river when the weather is bad lol. Rain and sleet and high winds the whole way in lol. We did see a ton of moose, especially cows with calves and even a couple of wolves and my favourite memory was an early morning sitting in the middle of the river on a rock just below the dam portage from Rosebary/Longbow? (I don't know where one starts and the other ends lol) and watching a mama moose come crashing out of the brush into the river with a baby in tow then realize I was there and went crashing across the river into the brush on the other side. It was beautiful sunny early morning and those few seconds we were looking at each other eye to eye were magical.

Anyway it's a promising area. I have no experience with what the sites are like. I only ever stayed at the one near that portage.

Bluknu
04-02-2016, 23:58
Oh and there were brook trout where I fished in the river. I don't know how tenkara works on a lake I really got the impression it was more stream fishing but I know little lol. I prefer stream for fly fishing for trout personally.

keg
04-03-2016, 22:54
I'm not too fussy about location. I know that the West side access roads can be sketchy during the spring but everyone expects an early iceout so probably won't be too bad. Also might be a little less crowded over a long weekend.

I'm not a fisher but will be happy to hold down camp when others go out. Jeff's maps show most of the parks west side as having brook trout. Could also look at Ralph bice or Daisy (connected to the petawawa).

Likely I won't be able to get to the park until Friday night or Saturday morning.

Bluknu
04-05-2016, 11:13
Looks like I have the long weekend in May off starting with Friday but probably wouldn't get to the park before mid afternoon at the earliest. Does it look like that might be the weekend?

As for location I definitely defer to those with better judgement and more experience. My number one goal is my first hang. :)

LuvmyBonnet
04-06-2016, 18:26
Does Algonquin have a Blackfly season? If so when does it normally occur?

Bluknu
04-06-2016, 21:52
Oh yeah. Usually right around that weekend in May. :lol:

KeeWayKeno
04-07-2016, 08:10
On an Algonquin trip a few years back, temp went from -7c (19f) to mid 20s (low 70s) in a week at the end of May ... then the wee nasties came out in force. Annoying but nothing a Bug Shirt & / or a little Watkins 30% Deet couldn't handle. Worth it to have so much of The Park almost to ourselves!

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

LuvmyBonnet
04-07-2016, 08:25
Annoying but nothing a Bug Shirt & / or a little Watkins 30% Deet couldn't handle.

You folks must have a different variety of Blackfly. They are nasty and relentless in the Adirondacks. The local convenient stores close during Blackfly season because they don't get any business. I had a photographer buddy of mine go to the ADK's during Blackfly season. He said he couldn't get a photo that wasn't clouded by swarms of bugs. He spent most of the time in his tent. Said it was awful!

Bubba
04-07-2016, 10:18
You folks must have a different variety of Blackfly. They are nasty and relentless in the Adirondacks. The local convenient stores close during Blackfly season because they don't get any business. I had a photographer buddy of mine go to the ADK's during Blackfly season. He said he couldn't get a photo that wasn't clouded by swarms of bugs. He spent most of the time in his tent. Said it was awful!

A few years ago I had the best May ever in the park. Ice out was literally 3 days prior to our arrival in the first week of May and there were no bugs at all. Just sunshine and clear skies. Most other May trips I've been on were mostly mosquitoes with only some blackflies. Guess I've been lucky.

Bluknu
04-07-2016, 11:26
Same experience here as Red Kanu. Being stuck on Tim River with nowheres to go and thousands of black flies swarming and biting was not a happy experience and the few thousand that invaded the car when we were loading our gear was fun. The interior of the car was covered with bug guts from crazy maniacal swatting. Lol

Tuck the pants into the socks and make sure there's no exposed skin. I find DEET less than satisfactory. You have to apply it every hour it seems. We are pretty lucky. It's usually not much more than maybe a month. I was in Cape Breton once in the middle of August and the black flies were big and crazy. I had to go get some cortisone cream to try to alleviate the reaction from the bites.

The beauty of the park is worth the black flies.

KeeWayKeno
04-08-2016, 08:11
Every year is different, personally I'll prepare for the worst but hope for the best. Looking at the map, another location might be worth considering ...
Still on the west side, Access Point 4 - Rain Lake is easy access, no portages if we stay on Rain & short ones to a few nearby lakes, 9 campsites right at the put-in to accommodate any late arrivals or inclement weather & good exploring / fishing opportunities.
Unfortunately I've never been there to comment on the site selection but there's plenty to choose from.

Bubba
04-08-2016, 09:44
Every year is different, personally I'll prepare for the worst but hope for the best. Looking at the map, another location might be worth considering ...
Still on the west side, Access Point 4 - Rain Lake is easy access, no portages if we stay on Rain & short ones to a few nearby lakes, 9 campsites right at the put-in to accommodate any late arrivals or inclement weather & good exploring / fishing opportunities.
Unfortunately I've never been there to comment on the site selection but there's plenty to choose from.

I think this is a really good suggestion. I haven't been there either but have heard the island site is quite nice. No portages for the trip in with the option of exploring nearby lakes once camped is appealing.

OotN'Aboot
04-08-2016, 09:54
This was the plan for my last algo trip but the sites were all booked so we ended up at access point 3 with 1 300m portage to our site. Access point 4 looks pretty fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

timplett
04-08-2016, 10:09
We went to Rain last year, but did not stay on Rain, we portaged to Sawyer and that's where we camped, so I can't speak for the campsites on Rain. We went on the Canada Day long weekend, and it looked like many/most of the Rain Lake sites were taken, but there was only one other site taken on Sawyer. We checked out many of the site's on Sawyer and they all seemed pretty nice. The 300m portage wasn't bad, but most of the elevation change is right at the start and end of the portage, so a little steep. Just don't way overpack like we did and you should be OK lol.

The canoeing along Rain Lake was absolutely beautiful. The long narrow section at the sendoff is especially gorgeous in early morning if you get a mist rising off the water. It was also perfect as both my wife and I are beginner canoers, and weak swimmers, so the relative narrowness was comforting. Also, as even the main body of Rain Lake is relatively small and sheltered the surface stays calm even when it's windy, unlike some of the other large lakes I've been on that get fairly choppy (for a canoe) when the wind picks up.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Bubba
04-08-2016, 10:43
How about we all agree on the May long weekend (May 21, 22, 23) and tentatively agree on Rain lake access point? This access point will keep us away from the Hwy 60 corridor long weekend traffic.

Bluknu
04-08-2016, 11:06
I'm up for both those plans Bubba and if necessary a little portage to the next lake wouldn't kill me lol.

keg
04-08-2016, 14:54
I'm fine with wherever but for the fisher types rain doesn't appear to have brook trout (according to Jeff's map). Most of the lakes around the next to access points north (magnetawan and Tim - access 3 and 2) do.

And yes it seems like the long weekend is the consensus.

Bubba
04-08-2016, 15:26
So far from what I've read, Rain has more bass with trout being in the deeper parts. Sawyer has some trout and is a short portage away.

LuvmyBonnet
04-08-2016, 16:48
If I'm able to make this is this one of those trips that should be done with a canoe? I have a 14'6" kayak but don't own a canoe.

Bubba
04-08-2016, 17:04
If I'm able to make this is this one of those trips that should be done with a canoe? I have a 14'6" kayak but don't own a canoe.

If we settle on Rain lake, and if you can fit all your gear in your kayak, no reason why you couldn't. Even if we settled on Sawyer lake, the portage would be doable. I for one am happy to stay on Rain and portage to other lakes as potential day trips. I just want to get out to the woods and relax and leave longer paddles and portages for another longer trip.

76 highboy
04-08-2016, 18:02
Having the spine of a jellyfish, a kayak friendly trip is very appealing.:)
The old back just cant put up with hours in a canoe seat. Plus a couple of small double carries wont kill me.
I agree with Bubba. Getting out is the goal.
Luvmybonnet: We'll help move your gear:)

The Old Boot
04-08-2016, 20:05
I'm in, I'm in!!

As usual will need a bow seat.

Sorry for ignoring this thread this long but it's hard to start planning canoe tripping in Ontario when you're sitting in sunshine and 70/80 degree weather in Arizona...I know, I know, it sucks to be me doesn't it...:lol:

Bluknu
04-08-2016, 21:36
My back roads mapbook says Rain and Sawyer are slow for lake trout and Sawyer has a small population of brook trout. Maybe some little feeder streams will have some brook trout. Part of being a fisherman is being an eternal optimist. If the fishing is poor I'm sure the company will be sparkling. :)

LuvmyBonnet
04-09-2016, 09:19
If the fishing is poor I'm sure the company will be sparkling. :)
I'll be expecting some sparkling company then because I have anointed myself "The World's Worst Fisherman". LOL I totally enjoy fishing, I just really don't know what I'm doing. I just like to go through the motions, enjoy the great outdoors and pick up pointers when ever possible. It would be awesome to catch and eat some tasty trout though but let's just say the food I bring won't be reliant on catching a meal.
Well here's hoping that it stays cool for a while and the blackflys don't hatch till after we leave!
So I would like to see the trip be the long weekend and base camp on Rain Lake and be able to do day runs to other lakes if need be. I'd like it to be kayak friendly as I haven't been in a canoe for 42 years. :scared:

timplett
04-09-2016, 09:23
One of the guys from work went on a trip to Algonquin as a kid with his family, and they specifically planned on catching fish to eat while they were there. Let's just say they cleaned out the first McDonald's they saw after they left...

KeeWayKeno
04-09-2016, 18:37
LuvmyBonnet's suggestion to basecamp on Rain & explore from there sounds great to me. I have to leave Sunday so will be heading up on Thursday morning so I can enjoy three nights out ... hopefully this will allow me snag at least one good site for the group coming up Friday. Each site is allowed max. 9 people - not sure what kind of numbers we're looking at yet but might need two sites.

This being my first group hang, wondering how the remaining logistics are usually handled. Eg. ... how do the early arrivers alert later folks to which site we have? Any traditions to be aware of, like a potluck meal or similar (I've seen past references to chowder) ...?

Bubba
04-09-2016, 19:23
LuvmyBonnet's suggestion to basecamp on Rain & explore from there sounds great to me. I have to leave Sunday so will be heading up on Thursday morning so I can enjoy three nights out ... hopefully this will allow me snag at least one good site for the group coming up Friday. Each site is allowed max. 9 people - not sure what kind of numbers we're looking at yet but might need two sites.

This being my first group hang, wondering how the remaining logistics are usually handled. Eg. ... how do the early arrivers alert later folks to which site we have? Any traditions to be aware of, like a potluck meal or similar (I've seen past references to chowder) ...?

In the past the early people have put out a flag for the others arriving later. Whoever is first can figure out what they can use to draw the rest's attention. We can agree on a primary location and a secondary location e.g. "aim to camp on the island but if it's taken check the north shore". Usually a loud "Whoo buddy!" helps in locating the hang :). Rain doesn't look too big so we should be able to meet up. Red Kanu - PM everyone with the permit details when you book. When numbers are more or less confirmed, a second permit will be acquired by someone. Names and mobile numbers are usually exchanged closer to the date for permit purposes. With regards to a group meal we can discuss that from here on in. Suggestions welcome or we can just say each person for themselves.

OotN'Aboot
04-09-2016, 20:57
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160410/cbd55f771b76b38475840044c445a176.jpg

Idk if this is an issue on rain. I've never tried to book Rain L before....

Bubba
04-09-2016, 22:34
That's only for the jumping off point not for the lake itself.

OotN'Aboot
04-10-2016, 12:14
Well I read that incorrectly.

Packrat69
04-10-2016, 13:32
Can someone please post the decieded upon lake and date so I can book time off work and possible get out and do some hangin ....thanks

Bubba
04-10-2016, 13:50
Unless there are any objections, let's say May 20, 21, 22, on Rain lake.

KeeWayKeno
04-10-2016, 14:20
"Aye"

Bluknu
04-10-2016, 17:35
I'm in.

If my boyfriend isn't coming I will have an available bow seat. I will likely be there sometime Friday afternoon as I work until 1 am Thursday night/Friday morning and would like to get some sleep. Lol

LuvmyBonnet
04-12-2016, 08:25
This sounds good to me. Now I have to decide on the fishing license. 1 week or 1 year?

Also anyone know anything about this Sportsman Card? Do I need one?

OotN'Aboot
04-12-2016, 08:29
Wife and I are 50/50 on it right now. Looking at childcare options.

LuvmyBonnet
04-12-2016, 13:49
I got answers to my question. You need the Sportsman Card for anything but the 1 day license. Just seems like a way to milk more money. So I got the 1 year so I don't have to mess with a license for the rest of 16'.

What site and area do you use to check anticipated weather. I've been using Accuweather.com & Ravensworth CA.
Looks like the temps should be a go for my 40* quilts.

Chard
04-12-2016, 14:40
Hi everyone,

Looks like you guys have a fine trip planned and it's nice to see the new faces. Unfortunately I won't be able to join you on this outing, but that's the way it goes. I'll be with you in spirit.

Rain's a lovely lake and the last time I was there (albeit 25 yrs ago) the lake trout fishing was pretty good. We camped at one of the westernmost sites on the south shore and just idling casting from camp I managed to land up a couple nice lakers and dredge up a lot more followers. Back in the day, Casey Lake to the north was a hot brookie lake and Sawyer to the east wasn't bad either. Of course the Petawawa River to the north holds plenty of naive, trusting little specks who I'm sure have never seen a lure.

I'm sure the roads have been improved since the last time I paddled Rain, but just be sure to call ahead and make sure that the access road hasn't been washed out. If there's any gear you need, just give me a shout.

Take care and have fun.

Chard

Bubba
04-12-2016, 16:20
That's too bad chard. We'll miss you on this one. Hope to see you on the next one.

76 highboy
04-12-2016, 22:16
Thats too bad you cant make the trip Chard. It wont be quite the same.

I'm in for friday to monday with a slight chance of arriving thursday and/or leaving tuesday.
Group meal? Anyone want to step up and do the "CHOWDA!" :laugh:

Hoolio
04-15-2016, 13:25
Sounds awesome. I have a site booked on Rosebary for the second weekend in May. Excited to try out my hammock and hope to see some Moose.

The Old Boot
04-20-2016, 19:42
I'm going to have to back out of this one. I closed up the apartment last fall and threw everything in to a cargo trailer because it was too late in the season to have a yard sale.

Yard sale will be the same weekend as the camping trip and it all has to go!

I'll miss y'all! Sure hope I can get in on the next group trip! Have fun!!

KeeWayKeno
04-21-2016, 21:00
I'm going to have to back out of this one. I closed up the apartment last fall and threw everything in to a cargo trailer because it was too late in the season to have a yard sale.

Yard sale will be the same weekend as the camping trip and it all has to go!

I'll miss y'all! Sure hope I can get in on the next group trip! Have fun!!
Sorry to hear that 'Old Boot' - this will be my first group hang & as a recent hammock convert I'm looking forward to meeting & learning from as many from this forum as possible ... an impressive group of folks, very generous with your expertise. Wonder where this leaves us for numbers?

Bluknu
04-21-2016, 22:44
I'm still in. I got a sewing machine for an early birthday present and have a bunch of my DIY projects done and almost done. I can't wait. :boggle:

Bubba
04-23-2016, 09:20
Tentative roll call

Keg
Bubba
Bluknu
LuvmyBonnet
OotN'Aboot (50/50)
Godisgr8
Red Kanu
76 highboy
Packrat69 (50/50)

Posted interest

Hoolio

timplett
04-23-2016, 09:22
Unfortunately interest is as far as it will go for me, won't be able to make it this time.

KeeWayKeno
04-23-2016, 09:28
I'm in.

OotN'Aboot
04-23-2016, 09:37
Still 50/50, it's going to depend on work schedules and kid care.

campergf23
04-23-2016, 09:59
Id love to go but I can't make it, I was jut trying to help out by giving sugestions.

As a university student in Sudbury it's pretty hard for me to get anywhere as I don't have a car... If I want one I have to get picked up or take a bus back to the GTA to borrow my parents car.

Hopefully I can get out for a group hang this summer!

OotN'Aboot
04-23-2016, 10:01
My brother is up in Sudbury for school. He is thinking about getting into hammocking, and he drives, might be able to put you to in contact if it would help (not for this trip tho he is not going)

Packrat69
04-23-2016, 17:12
50/50 right now depends on work and if we can get a sitter for the critters

OotN'Aboot
04-24-2016, 09:17
Alright, we are tossing around the idea of our 3 year old coming with us. Are any other kids coming, are kids welcome, is this more of an adults only event? Group consensus?

KeeWayKeno
04-24-2016, 10:19
As a first - timer I'll defer to the collective wisdom of those who've done this before.

OotN'Aboot
04-24-2016, 11:14
My first group hang as well so I'm not sure of the dynamics

Bubba
04-24-2016, 18:37
So far all of our group hangs have been adults only. I think most people that come out do so to have a little break from their daily lives including their family lives. Personally it's one of the reasons I go. I would love to take my kids out but it will be on a trip separate from a group hang. Having said that, I'm not 100% on the trip as I have a complex family life so I don't want to be the one to suggest we keep it adults only. I'll go with what the majority decides.

Singingcrowsings
04-24-2016, 19:48
Hello!

Is anyone heading out from Ottawa or Montreal? I offer gas money.

If so, I'd love to fill a bow seat, if one is still available. :)

If not, I'll need to sit this one out.

keg
04-24-2016, 21:21
Alright, we are tossing around the idea of our 3 year old coming with us. Are any other kids coming, are kids welcome, is this more of an adults only event? Group consensus?

Can the kid scrounge firewood yet?

My only concern is noise. Looking at the roll call, we're on the verge of needing two sites that might be a way around any issues giving the little one their own place if tantrum time hits (as well as us not being as worried being loud after bed time).

Chard
04-25-2016, 08:37
Exciting times... Mountain Trout House's webcam in Dorset shows that the ice went out over the weekend! Doesn't mean Algonquin's ice free yet, but it's a good sign!

OotN'Aboot
04-25-2016, 17:46
Can the kid scrounge firewood yet?

My only concern is noise. Looking at the roll call, we're on the verge of needing two sites that might be a way around any issues giving the little one their own place if tantrum time hits (as well as us not being as worried being loud after bed time).

Little dude does love finding sticks. Lol http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160425/b503a12ac705137daf89a6be5345a95e.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160425/b948814c6eead4084707dc95cade8ea0.jpg

He helps me setup sometimes.

Anyway I don't think he's gonna come but I figured I'd see what the group thought.

keg
04-25-2016, 20:24
I've booked one site for Friday May 20th to 23rd on Rain Lake. We may need a second depending on numbers. As of now there are 8 or so sites remaining.

76 highboy
04-26-2016, 07:34
I just booked another site on rain from thurs nite to monday.
We are golden:)

Hoolio
04-26-2016, 11:20
I will be testing my DIY UQ on Rosebary Lake May 13-15. By the looks of it I will be glad I made one. It will be my first O/N sleep on the hammock. Very excited.

LuvmyBonnet
04-26-2016, 11:37
You might want to test your set up in your backyard first. Better to discover your mistakes in the backyard so you can bail out to the comfort of the house. Not fun to find your mistakes out in the middle of nowhere.

Hoolio
04-26-2016, 15:34
GF will be in tent nearby. She is a furnace. Ill be fine lol.

Bubba
04-28-2016, 08:04
I've booked one site for Friday May 20th to 23rd on Rain Lake. We may need a second depending on numbers. As of now there are 8 or so sites remaining.

I just booked another site on rain from thurs nite to monday.
We are golden:)

Thanks for doing that. I was just about to look into it.

OotN'Aboot
04-28-2016, 11:01
Wife and I are good to go!

Bubba
04-28-2016, 11:32
Tentative roll call

Keg
Bubba
Bluknu
LuvmyBonnet
OotN'Aboot + wife
Godisgr8
Red Kanu
76 highboy
Packrat69 (50/50)

OotN'Aboot
04-28-2016, 16:08
What sites do we have so far, one of my buddies on forum and my 2 brothers are looking at coming. If so I'll grab a site near by.

keg
04-28-2016, 20:40
What sites do we have so far, one of my buddies on forum and my 2 brothers are looking at coming. If so I'll grab a site near by.

Sites are only reserved by lake so all we know right now is we have 2 sites. We just have to rely on highboy and anyone else showing up Thursday to pick something nice.

I do have a map with sites numbered from the forum Algonquin Adventures (a la Jeff's maps). We can figure out if there's any preferred sites before going so we don't have to paddle the whole lake to find the hang.

OotN'Aboot
04-28-2016, 20:42
Haha, I knew that..... Sometimes my brain don't work so gooooood. Lol thanks for the reminder

Edit: I have booked a 3rd site. Wife and buddy (Cyphus on HF) are confirmed. Possible 2 of my brothers.

LuvmyBonnet
04-29-2016, 21:24
Sites are only reserved by lake so all we know right now is we have 2 sites. We just have to rely on highboy and anyone else showing up Thursday to pick something nice.

I do have a map with sites numbered from the forum Algonquin Adventures (a la Jeff's maps). We can figure out if there's any preferred sites before going so we don't have to paddle the whole lake to find the hang.

Need a little assistance with the map. Where would our start point be? Is it at the 1? Also isn't there supposed to be a desirable island to camp on at Rain lake? Also the map shows 2 fish icon by camp 11, does that mean its a good fishing area?
Looking forward to seeing some old faces and new as well and some nice temperatures.

Bluknu
04-29-2016, 21:53
LuvmyBonnet you would do yourself a favour to google a map of the area up the west side of the park. Access point number 4. It looks like up thru Kearneyand across Rain Lake road. Now my question is do we register at Kearney or is there a park office at this access point? I seem to remember registering in Kearney for my Tim River trip but there's no campground up there. Also do we register and pay and just tell them we are with the group? Seems there's enough sites reserved

OotN'Aboot
04-29-2016, 21:59
Parks site says the permit pick up is at Kearney. I'm pretty sure you need to register there as well. Anyone know how it works if your not with the permit holder? Also did you guys max out your party size? I put 5, should I have done 9? Or does it matter?

keg
04-29-2016, 23:58
Need a little assistance with the map. Where would our start point be? Is it at the 1? Also isn't there supposed to be a desirable island to camp on at Rain lake? Also the map shows 2 fish icon by camp 11, does that mean its a good fishing area?
Looking forward to seeing some old faces and new as well and some nice temperatures.

The access is at the black 4. I believe the island site people talk about is #8.

As for the fish, I believe they are just saying that two species of fish are found in the lake, I'd have to look at Jeff's map for the legend of which species.

keg
04-30-2016, 00:04
Parks site says the permit pick up is at Kearney. I'm pretty sure you need to register there as well. Anyone know how it works if your not with the permit holder? Also did you guys max out your party size? I put 5, should I have done 9? Or does it matter?

The number you reserve with is irrelevant. You can change when you register (at Kearney).

What we've done in the past is meet up at the park office or somewhere before and registered together or sent the permit information to anyone coming up at a different time. Usually there isn't a problem adding your name to a permit and paying for yourself and your car. We can always sort out if anyone owes for the permits when there.

76 highboy
05-01-2016, 06:54
Hi ken. Hows it hangin? lol Sorry couldnt help myself.
Hopefully luvmybonnet and myself will be there thursday to grab a site.
If available im thinking east end of the island or the 2nd site west of the portage to sawyer lake.
After that i guess any site is fair game. Thoughts ? and/or know any good sites on the south shore?
Ted

Bubba
05-01-2016, 08:13
I've read a couple reviews that said the west side island site is nice as well as the site close to the Sawyer lake portage. Being hammock friendly for a large group is another matter though.

keg
05-01-2016, 11:12
I've never camped on rain and all the reviews I've seen are from people who (egad!) sleep on the ground. From them I've heard good things about the west end of the island (said to have a great view) and the site 2 from the Sawyer portage (the small lake to the north is supposedly easily accessed). I think I read something about the furthest east site on the south shore being okay as well.

But as Bubba said, who knows how hammock friendly they are. Hopefully you will have something bright and obvious to hang by wherever you select.

keg
05-01-2016, 11:13
I've read a couple reviews ....

I'm glad I'm not the only one desperate to get out and camping vicariously through other people's trip logs. :D

Bubba
05-01-2016, 11:20
Lol! I don't even want to talk about the number of canoe trip youtube videos I've watched.

Bluknu
05-01-2016, 17:42
Hahaha! Me too. I've been watching anything canoeing and Algonquin or hamocking in general good or bad. I'm now at the point I'm watching them for a second and third time. :lol:

Bubba
05-01-2016, 17:52
Hahaha! Me too. I've been watching anything canoeing and Algonquin or hamocking in general good or bad. I'm now at the point I'm watching them for a second and third time. :lol:

Me too. My favourite videos are from YouTuber "Tumblehome". Chard told me about him. He's a hammock camper but I don't know if he's on the forums.

campergf23
05-01-2016, 20:19
My brother is up in Sudbury for school. He is thinking about getting into hammocking, and he drives, might be able to put you to in contact if it would help (not for this trip tho he is not going)

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, I don't check the forums too often.

I'm actually back at home now, but if you could put us in touch it would be great for future hangs next year! I could help him get started hangin around campus if he hasn't already got into hammocking.

Thanks!

OotN'Aboot
05-01-2016, 20:21
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, I don't check the forums too often.

I'm actually back at home now, but if you could put us in touch it would be great for future hangs next year! I could help him get started hangin around campus if he hasn't already got into hammocking.

Thanks!

Turns out he is coming on this trip and will be borrowing my spare setup.

I'm sure you'll meet him, he'll be the one with the man bun. Lol

campergf23
05-01-2016, 20:28
Turns out he is coming on this trip and will be borrowing my spare setup.

I'm sure you'll meet him, he'll be the one with the man bun. Lol

Unfortunately I can't get out for this hang, but hopefully I'll meet him on a future trip!

quiet
05-01-2016, 21:18
I wish I could make it, but my daughter is spending the week and that weekend with me. She’ll be flying in from Nepal where she was working the last 6 months.

I’ve camped on Rain a number of times. The best site I’ve stayed on is at the point where the lake opens up, across from the island. This site is good for large groups and has areas for hammocks. I haven’t stayed at that site for a few years now, but last year when I paddled by, there were 2 Hennessy hammocks right at the water’s edge on the north side of the campsite.

I stayed on the site just east of the McCraney Lake portage several times. I stay there to get an early start the next day on the portage. It’s not as good, but there are trees well spaced for hammocks. I’ve seen large fish swimming close to the shore, close to the surface in late fall at this site.

I’ve never stayed at the island sites. The west end appears very popular, but the east end looks closed in and never seems occupied.

I’ve also stayed at a site on the south side across from the island; close to the Western Uplands Trail. I wouldn’t recommend these sites as I noticed the hikers when they go by and sometimes, they are curious and will drop in.

Rain Lake allows motor boats and there’s a cottage north of the island that often gets rented out. There are fishermen who will troll up and down the lake, especially in the early morning. Have your earplugs on Keg. :) This is the only lake in all my Algonquin trips where I’ve had park wardens come by to check permits and campsites. This happened 3 out of the 4 times I’ve stayed on this lake.

Have fun and pics or it didn’t happen. :)

q

Bluknu
05-01-2016, 23:52
Me too. My favourite videos are from YouTuber "Tumblehome". Chard told me about him. He's a hammock camper but I don't know if he's on the forums.

I really love his vids too. I have a feeling he's a professional. I noticed him in a CBC jacket I think. He is good. I hope he gets back to making videos. One of my faves. :D

OotN'Aboot
05-02-2016, 12:02
Are we doing a group meal? If so which day/meal?

LuvmyBonnet
05-02-2016, 13:23
I don't think I'll be able to participate in a group meal. Sorry, no pot roast this time. I'll be limited to dehydrated meals as I'm restricted to how much stuff I can fit in the kayak. Should be interesting because I usually bring enough for a week for my weekend trip. ha ha ha

OotN'Aboot
05-02-2016, 13:24
I'm sure we can still share with you ;)

Donski
05-04-2016, 07:40
Hi All,

I stumbled across this thread last week and have been putting off commenting because I’m not 100% sure I can go. It is looking more promising so if I am able to go, I would very much like to join you, if it isn’t too late, and there will be an extra spot,

If I can go, I wouldn’t be able to go up until Saturday morning.

Singingcrowsings
05-04-2016, 07:44
I guess I won't be able to make it. Have any of you Torontonians thought of carpooling it? There seems to be a lot of you.

Anyway, have fun everyone. It sounds like it will be a lot of fun!

OotN'Aboot
05-04-2016, 07:49
I'm sure between the 3 sites there will be room. Come enjoy!

Iguana
05-04-2016, 08:53
Hi All,

I stumbled across this thread last week and have been putting off commenting because I’m not 100% sure I can go. It is looking more promising so if I am able to go, I would very much like to join you, if it isn’t too late, and there will be an extra spot,

If I can go, I wouldn’t be able to go up until Saturday morning.

Hi and welcome Donksi,

I was in the same boat as you was not sure if I can make make it. But now I am confirmed :) . Add Iguana to the roll call and a tentative +1

I don't think we have any type of limits, there is always room for more and you are more than welcome.

Iguana

KeeWayKeno
05-04-2016, 09:05
Maximum of 9 per site but with three sites we can do 27 before needing another site. Those numbers might stretch the capacity of each site for suitable hanging locations - they were selected & cleared for tents not hammocks.

OotN'Aboot
05-04-2016, 09:07
I have myself + 3 not on roll call confirmed to hang on my site so far. Possibly a 5th

Chard
05-04-2016, 09:33
Maximum of 9 per site but with three sites we can do 27 before needing another site. Those numbers might stretch the capacity of each site for suitable hanging locations - they were selected & cleared for tents not hammocks.

Generally finding nine hanging spots in Algonquin isn't much of a problem as people don't need flat spots and there's no lack of trees. It's not unusual for hammocks to be well out of sight of each other. Of course small island sites might be the exception.

OotN'Aboot
05-04-2016, 09:44
Anyone listen to the new HYOH? Worst case we can toss some people hammocks up in the canopy.

Bubba
05-04-2016, 13:04
Tentative roll call

Keg
Bubba (not quite 100%)
Bluknu
LuvmyBonnet
OotN'Aboot + 3
Godisgr8
Red Kanu
76 highboy
Packrat69 (50/50)
Donski (not 100%)
Iguana +1 (tentative)

LuvmyBonnet
05-04-2016, 17:28
Anyone listen to the new HYOH? Worst case we can toss some people hammocks up in the canopy.

Can you splain a little? I'm not sure what this means. :confused:

OotN'Aboot
05-04-2016, 17:30
The hang your own hang podcast

mbal1856
05-05-2016, 11:55
We interviewed Treefool. A climber, hammock camper that hangs up in the tree canopy. Think tall tree, climb up, hang, sleep and hope you don't have to pee, and if you do, hope there is no one below you :)

Chard
05-05-2016, 12:23
...hope you don't have to pee, and if you do, hope there is no one below you :)

The dangers of stacked hammocks at a beer tasting festival!

https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/5/2/6/hammock-stack2.jpg

One more reason why you want to be sure to bring the longest ladder!

LuvmyBonnet
05-05-2016, 17:45
I'm heading out to the Finger Lakes this weekend. Going to do my first test run because I have no idea how much gear can be fit into the yak. I will miss having a cooler of cold beers. I'll probably stop at Duty Free and pick myself up a nice bottle of scotch.(Yes I share)
I also need to find my fishing license and sportsman card. I can't find them anywhere. I'll be bummed if I can't fish.(not that I'll catch diner)
So far I plan to use my Hammock Forums flag as a marker for the rest of the troops. Maybe see if I can find some of my Hi-Vis Orange glove to hang from the trees.
Really looking forward to this trip.

KeeWayKeno
05-05-2016, 18:17
LuvmyBonnet ... do you know what route you're taking yet? I (& I'm sure others) can probably offer some easily found places to get your fishing licence, such as a couple of Bass Pro Shops. Also, just in case you didn't know already, you might want to bring along a Platypus or similar bag to decant your beverages ... glass bottles (& cans) are not permitted in Algonquin 's backcountry.

LuvmyBonnet
05-05-2016, 19:42
LuvmyBonnet ... do you know what route you're taking yet? I (& I'm sure others) can probably offer some easily found places to get your fishing licence, such as a couple of Bass Pro Shops. Also, just in case you didn't know already, you might want to bring along a Platypus or similar bag to decant your beverages ... glass bottles (& cans) are not permitted in Algonquin 's backcountry.

Thanks Red. I was not aware of the no glass rule. Makes sense.
As for the fishing license, I already have one for 2016. I just can't find the darn thing.:lol:

Bubba
05-05-2016, 22:23
I've been going to Algoquin for a long time and I have to admit to bringing in bottles and cans on more than one occasion. As long as you are responsible and pack them out it's not usually a problem and so far I have never run into a park ranger. On this trip however, the chance of running into a ranger is likely higher than other trips since Rain lake allows motorized boats and we're not portaging further into the park. Not to worry, there are some good whiskies that come in plastic bottles and glass bottles and cans weigh too much anyways.

keg
05-05-2016, 23:19
Thanks Red. I was not aware of the no glass rule. ...

Don't worry. There are some decent Canadian whiskeys in plastic or you can just pour the good stuff into a big thermos.

Speaking of that, it's time to get a new bottle.

Chard
05-06-2016, 08:56
I've been going to Algonquin for a long time and I have to admit to bringing in bottles and cans on more than one occasion. As long as you are responsible and pack them out it's not usually a problem and so far I have never run into a park ranger. On this trip however, the chance of running into a ranger is likely higher than other trips since Rain lake allows motorized boats and we're not portaging further into the park. Not to worry, there are some good whiskies that come in plastic bottles and glass bottles and cans weigh too much anyways.

As you say Bubba, we've almost always been on interior lakes and Rain's a little different. As Quiet pointed out earlier, camping on an access lake makes it much more likely that you'll come under the scrutiny of the generally very friendly park staff. Be sure to watch the 9 person site quota's as it'd be a real pain to have to move sites because someone inadvertently set up as the 10th person on the site. Also the glass/can bans should be taken more seriously. Be respectful, keep your surroundings clean and don't be an idiot. Basically the three guiding principles for successful living in any civil society.

Bummed out factor increasing!

Donski
05-09-2016, 02:44
FYI, I’m a little green!
I’ve been car camping for over 40 years, but when it comes to Hammock and back country camping, I’ve only been out once. It was Last fall in the Haliburton area, four of us canoed in while two guys flew in with all our heavy items. Some of the heavy items included flats of water and flats of beer, cast iron frying pan and Dutch oven. All of our meals were communal and gourmet, for camping. While it was an interesting adventure, it certainly wasn’t a minimalist or pack light trip. I was the only one hanging!

I will also pass on the group meal as all my food will be dehydrated as well. I am hoping to use a Costco/Pelican kayak. I’ve been out in the kayak many times but never camping or fishing.
I’m really looking forward to this trip!

LuvmyBonnet
05-09-2016, 08:14
Donski- The Costco/Pelican you speak of, is that a 10' Pelican? If so I'm thinking that might not be enough to hold all your gear. I would recommend getting your gear together and do a test.
If it is the 10' yak you might want to hook up with someone who needs a paddler in their canoe.

OotN'Aboot
05-09-2016, 08:45
If anyone needs a pelican I can get them a bit cheaper. Let me know ;) pm's and what's not

Chard
05-09-2016, 13:07
Donski- The Costco/Pelican you speak of, is that a 10' Pelican? If so I'm thinking that might not be enough to hold all your gear. I would recommend getting your gear together and do a test.
If it is the 10' yak you might want to hook up with someone who needs a paddler in their canoe.

LuvmyBonnet's got a point. Worst comes to worst, since you guys aren't portaging, I think the going rate for throwing your pack into someone else's canoe is a bottle of Baileys and not the tiny inflight bottles mind you :lol:.

I've been out with a chap who paddled a whitewater kayak down through Smoke and up and around to Cache. He was wet most of the time and cranky and did have to travel quite light.

Packrat69
05-09-2016, 17:29
My partner and I both own the 10 ' pelican kyayk130097from Costco and have used them on several week long trips into the interior with all our gear no problem you just have to be creative with packing and weight distribution. The only draw back is portaging isn't as easy but it is doable. We will be using them on the upcoming hang trip if I can get my dang work schedule fixed up😕

Chard
05-09-2016, 18:15
Well, you've got a surprising amount of freeboard. Looks like you're set.

Very cool.

LuvmyBonnet
05-09-2016, 18:22
Impressive that you can get a weeks gear into a 10fter. Even more impressive is how your able to paddle upside down. :laugh:

KeeWayKeno
05-09-2016, 18:36
The beauty thing about our destination is no portages. For the 'spatially challenged' it is an easy trip back to your vehicle for a second load if needed. For the same reason I'm sure it'll be easy to find a little extra space in a friendly canoe for the outbound trip.

Donski
05-10-2016, 00:26
Yes Luvmybonnet it is the 10' Quest model. I'll see what I can get into it before I head north. My other concern, as Chard pointed out, is the freeboard, I'm not a small person and being green I will probably pack too much. Unfortunately I won't find that out until I'm in the water.
My main reason for trying the kayak is, as Red Kanu suggested, I can always make a couple of trips because we aren't portaging.

Bluknu
05-10-2016, 01:22
I will have canoe space for either packs or a person or both. :)

I hope to be in Kearney around 2:30 or 3 on the Friday and barring any unforeseen circumstances plan on staying to Monday.

KeeWayKeno
05-10-2016, 08:02
For our kayaking friends ... http://www.kayakcamper.com is a new site dedicated to kayaking in Algonquin.

Donski
05-10-2016, 22:15
I will have canoe space for either packs or a person or both. :)

I hope to be in Kearney around 2:30 or 3 on the Friday and barring any unforeseen circumstances plan on staying to Monday.

I appreciate the offer, but I won't be arriving until Saturday morning.

Donski
05-10-2016, 22:16
For our kayaking friends ... http://www.kayakcamper.com is a new site dedicated to kayaking in Algonquin.

Thanks for the link.

Bluknu
05-11-2016, 00:43
I appreciate the offer, but I won't be arriving until Saturday morning.

No worries. Offer is open to anyone if it helps them out. Two paddlers is easier than one and I haven't quite given in to the temptation of a kayak paddle yet. Lol

Huckleberry Hanger
05-11-2016, 14:57
I just stumbled on this trip. Once again, have to pass but have a blast! I am actually going up to Kearny tomorrow bright and early for an extended weekend on Ralph Bice. 4 of the 5 of us are hangers and one knuckle dragging tenter!

Hoolio
05-12-2016, 11:39
Hang warm Canuck! I'm heading up to Kearney tomorrow for extended weekend on Rosebary. I am the lone hanger but am happy my GF will be in a tent if Saturday's 0 C gets to the bones.

LuvmyBonnet
05-12-2016, 13:07
Hope you stay warm Hoolio but I would like to see it get cold this weekend and kill all those black fly eggs! :laugh:

Jayson
05-13-2016, 06:59
So Mark and myself have changed our minds and decided that a weekend of lounging with a bit of fishing sounds just about right after the past couple months so we would like to join the group. Will be arriving Friday and staying till Monday. Hope there is still room for 2 on one of the reservations.
I work till 7am Friday morning and we are leaving within the hour so would hit the park between 1 and 2pm. Can someone PM me the reservation details?

LuvmyBonnet
05-13-2016, 14:12
Can someone assist as to final destination? My GPS doesn't allow me to enter postal codes so I'd like to get my maps set before crossing the border. Once I cross the border my phone and gps are pretty much a paper weight.

Chard
05-13-2016, 14:40
Unless I'm mistaken, you should be able to Google driving directions to Kearney Ontario where the Rain Lake Park office resides.

Drive up the highway until you see the french-fry truck with the big Canadian maple leaf on the side and then turn right. On second though, scratch that. That landmark that I used for years moved unexpectedly a few years back and I found myself a half hour up the highway before realizing that I'd missed my turn. Note to self: landmarks with wheels make bad landmarks.

OotN'Aboot
05-13-2016, 17:48
Can someone assist as to final destination? My GPS doesn't allow me to enter postal codes so I'd like to get my maps set before crossing the border. Once I cross the border my phone and gps are pretty much a paper weight.

Dropped pin
near Rain Lake, Nipissing, Unorganized, South Part, ON https://goo.gl/maps/Srp1Dzpk1o42

Park at access point 4. Canoe east till you get to the end of the lake.
https://goo.gl/maps/csL9qDdwm672

KeeWayKeno
05-13-2016, 19:50
LuvmyBonnet, this link gives written directions to both the Permit Office in Kearney (there is no gatehouse or permit office at our access point) & then on to the parking lot at the lake.
http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/visit/camping/rain-lake-access-point.php

As for mapping, if you have any kind of 'smart-ish' phone or tablet, you might want to download the free 'Here Maps' app & the also the off - line map for Ontario. Works very well & doesn't use up data or need a cell signal. Once you have that, search 'Rain Lake Road, Nippissing Township, ON' ... that'll put a pin down at some random spot on the road so just follow it roughly east to its dead - end at the lake. Hope that helps!

OotN'Aboot
05-13-2016, 19:55
Also if you use google maps new feature to download maps for offline use you should be able to turn off your data and still use google maps. I do it because reception is nonexistent in the park and I like to have the map available as a back up to check location info.

Donski
05-14-2016, 02:02
Hi All,
I see I am not the only one working nights this week, but I switch back to days next week.

It looks like it's still a go for me, but I was wondering what to do. I won't arrive until around noon Saturday, and I see the Kearney municipal building is closed Saturday. Does the park office have a separate entrance? What do late arrivals do?

Hi ken. Hows it hangin? lol Sorry couldnt help myself.
Hopefully luvmybonnet and myself will be there thursday to grab a site.
If available im thinking east end of the island or the 2nd site west of the portage to sawyer lake.
After that i guess any site is fair game. Thoughts ? and/or know any good sites on the south shore?
Ted

Do you what site #'s these are?

Bubba
05-14-2016, 06:30
Hi All,
I see I am not the only one working nights this week, but I switch back to days next week.

It looks like it's still a go for me, but I was wondering what to do. I won't arrive until around noon Saturday, and I see the Kearney municipal building is closed Saturday. Does the park office have a separate entrance? What do late arrivals do?

Do you what site #'s these are?

The community centre is closed but the park office is open at 7:00am. Keg, OotN'Aboot, and 76 highboy all have permits. Contact one them and get the reservation details so when you show up you ask to be put on the permit. Usually permit holders send out a PM to the group with the reservation info. We also often times send out a PM to exchange mobile numbers.

The sites are not numbered. Late comers just go to an agreed upon area of the lake and look out for an agreed upon marker like a flag or something. Yelling out "whoo buddy" is a sure way to know you are in the right place.

OotN'Aboot
05-14-2016, 06:34
The community centre is closed but the park office is open at 7:00am. Keg, OotN'Aboot, and 76 highboy all have permits. Contact one them and get the reservation details so when you show up you ask to be put on the permit. Usually permit holders send out a PM to the group with the reservation info. We also often times send out a PM to exchange mobile numbers.

The sites are not numbered. Late comers just go to an agreed upon area of the lake and look out for an agreed upon marker like a flag or something. Yelling out "whoo buddy" is a sure way to know you are in the right place.

Bubba, am I correct in assuming that we won't have our permit details until the day of? They are different than our reservation details correct? As well when I get my permit I just pay for the people that are with me when I get it and anyone adding themself on later will just pay to be added on?

Sorry I've only ever gone up to Algonquin with groups that are already one unit at the time of acquiring the permit so I want to make sure I don't **** this up ;)

Bubba
05-14-2016, 07:04
Bubba, am I correct in assuming that we won't have our permit details until the day of? They are different than our reservation details correct? As well when I get my permit I just pay for the people that are with me when I get it and anyone adding themself on later will just pay to be added on?

Sorry I've only ever gone up to Algonquin with groups that are already one unit at the time of acquiring the permit so I want to make sure I don't **** this up ;)

Typically, when we all show up, the permit holder and those others present pay their fees and get the back country permit that goes with the group as well as vehicle permits for all the cars. People arriving later usually just give the name of the reservation holder get their name put on the permit, pay their own fees and get their vehicles permit.

Canahang
05-14-2016, 07:57
I won't be able to make it to Algonquin this spring but to anyone heading out please remember it's blackly season and they're out in FORCE due to the mild winter. I went for a weekend in Frontenac park last week and they were insane.

Pic is from me unzipping my sparrow, crawling in. And zipping back up

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160514/23be844dc61f8581bf02c72c2fe7eb4a.jpg

Other images for relief from the horror

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160514/8b690d6548bdf623e9d1ffc93c12283e.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160514/85bd25b01269d7c997cd3a01791be781.jpg

KeeWayKeno
05-14-2016, 08:59
I have to leave Sunday so decided to head up on Wednesday to squeeze in an extra night. This will give me a jump on scouting good sites ahead of the long weekend crowd (with the emergence of the bugs, gonna try to grab that western island site for us - had a similarly situated site on Ralph Bice at the peak of bugs two years ago & it really helped). I'll pick up a Canadian flag today to indicate the site I get. The way Bubba explains it, guess I need to add myself to one of the reservations that start on Thursday night, think that is 76Highboy & LuvmyBonnet? If so, could you PM the details please.

LuvmyBonnet
05-14-2016, 11:57
I was thinking the island as well. 76Highboy & I will be up sometime Thursday. We should be pretty easy to locate. Just look for the 2 14ft lime green kayaks. details to come

Bubba
05-14-2016, 12:15
I have to leave Sunday so decided to head up on Wednesday to squeeze in an extra night. This will give me a jump on scouting good sites ahead of the long weekend crowd (with the emergence of the bugs, gonna try to grab that western island site for us - had a similarly situated site on Ralph Bice at the peak of bugs two years ago & it really helped). I'll pick up a Canadian flag today to indicate the site I get. The way Bubba explains it, guess I need to add myself to one of the reservations that start on Thursday night, think that is 76Highboy & LuvmyBonnet? If so, could you PM the details please.

If you are actually paddling in on Wednesday, you'll need a permit for that night. Don't know what the best thing to do is. You could just get your own permit for your length of stay since you'll need vehicle permit. Maybe give the reservation line a call to find out.

76 highboy
05-14-2016, 20:31

Looks like its up to you to find the best site ever.
No pressure:laugh:

LuvmyBonnet
05-14-2016, 23:07
If you don't get the best site there will be a hangin'! :lol:

Donski
05-15-2016, 01:44
The sites are not numbered. Late comers just go to an agreed upon area of the lake and look out for an agreed upon marker like a flag or something. Yelling out "whoo buddy" is a sure way to know you are in the right place.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I should have been more clear, I was referring to the Jeff's map that Keg posted (#98) Jeff has the sites number along the lake.

Donski
05-15-2016, 01:48
[QUOTE=Bubba;1627937]The community centre is closed but the park office is open at 7:00am. Keg, OotN'Aboot, and 76 highboy all have permits. Contact one them and get the reservation details so when you show up you ask to be put on the permit. Usually permit holders send out a PM to the group with the reservation info. We also often times send out a PM to exchange mobile numbers.

It would be best if I contacted the person with the least amount of people on their permit, but I'm not sure how to find that out:confused:.

Bubba
05-15-2016, 06:45
Tentative roll call

Keg
Bubba (not quite 100%)
Bluknu
LuvmyBonnet
OotN'Aboot + 3
Godisgr8 (unconfirmed)
Red Kanu
76 highboy
Packrat69 (50/50)
Donski
Iguana +1 (tentative)
Jayson
Mark

In the next day or two let's put names with permit holders. It's good to have all the permit holders' info in case of any mix up when checking in but we each can go to the office with a primary permit holder in hand. I think only Godisgr8 may need a spot in a canoe. Sounds like Bluknu may have space based on posts.

We have 17 so far so if both island sites are available it's possible we could all stay on it. Depending on the size and hammock potential this may not be an option. The two sites just west of the portage to Sawyer lake may be worth a look since they are close and should have more space. Red Kanu can at least scout out a good initial site but we'll have to figure out logistics when we arrive.

To all who can't make it, we hope to see you in the fall!

Jayson
05-15-2016, 08:58
76 highboy sent me his permit info.

KeeWayKeno
05-15-2016, 09:02
76 highboy sent me his permit info.
Me too.

Bluknu
05-15-2016, 09:18
I do still have space.

LuvmyBonnet
05-15-2016, 10:31
Donski can at least scout out a good initial site but we'll have to figure out logistics when we arrive.

Red Kanu will be first in for logistics. Donski may need help carrying some stuff in with his yak or a spot in a canoe.
Hope you switch that to a 100% Bubba.

keg
05-15-2016, 11:04
Looks like beautiful weather for the weekend. Just got back from a few days up there with students and the black flies were just getting warmed up. Definitely a site exposed to wind will be good.

I'll send out my permit info when I get home tonight. We might want to sort the list/permits depending on arrival date/time.

I'm looking at Friday at a time TBD depending on work. If I'm not able to be there until evening I can transfer the permit to someone else's name. Will know in a day or two.

Huckleberry Hanger
05-16-2016, 08:20
FYI, just got back. The first day (last Thursday) the black flies were coming out but were still groggy and not really biting and it was 26 C. By Sunday it was -5C and it had rained for two days. The black flies were MIA. Not sure what I am hoping for you guys. Hot or cold! My new tip we tried and will continue on future outings. Heating up wine in a pot to just before boil. Warmed the soul! Have a blast!

Donski
05-16-2016, 16:06
Red Kanu will be first in for logistics. Donski may need help carrying some stuff in with his yak or a spot in a canoe.
Hope you switch that to a 100% Bubba.

Actually, I will be the last to arrive, not until Saturday. Thanks for the concerns and offers of help with my gear, but I'll make it work. I can always get a canoe if I have to.

LuvmyBonnet
05-17-2016, 06:56
What time on Saturday do you expect to arrive at the parking? I could always paddle out there to help with some of your gear.

Chard
05-17-2016, 09:02
Hi everyone,

Before everyone started heading into the Park, I just wanted to give the old timers a nod and wish those friends I haven't met yet good luck and happy paddling.

Safety first and keep your eye on the last guy.

Chard

KeeWayKeno
05-17-2016, 09:17
Hi everyone,

Before everyone started heading into the Park, I just wanted to give the old timers a nod and wish those friends I haven't met yet good luck and happy paddling.

Safety first and keep your eye on the last guy.

Chard
Thanks Chard, sorry you can't make it out this trip but hope to meet you in the Fall.

Bluknu
05-17-2016, 09:42
I'm sorry too that I won't get to meet you this trip Chard. I have watched your Algonquin YouTube video a few times and was hoping the meet the person behind the camera.

Anyway as for organization here. What's up? Who has spots left on their site? I don't think they'll be amused at the registry office when a ragtag bunch of hangers filter thru and don't know what's going on lol. Also is there a group meal? How is that organized? What do I need to bring?

Sorry I'm getting excited. And impatient. I can't wait. :)

Jayson
05-17-2016, 13:06
Chard: a real bummer you cant make it up. As for a group meal me and Mark are out. We were all prepped for backpacking so....
Cant wait.

76 highboy
05-17-2016, 14:48
Too bad you cant make this hang Chard. I got the impression that the spring hang was your favourite.
I'll do my best to put a fish in the pan for ya. And maybe a wee extra dram in my mug for you.:)

Group meal ? is that a zombie thing ??:scared:

76 highboy
05-17-2016, 15:36
I'm sorry too that I won't get to meet you this trip Chard. I have watched your Algonquin YouTube video a few times and was hoping the meet the person behind the camera.

Anyway as for organization here. What's up? Who has spots left on their site? I don't think they'll be amused at the registry office when a ragtag bunch of hangers filter thru and don't know what's going on lol. Also is there a group meal? How is that organized? What do I need to bring?

Sorry I'm getting excited. And impatient. I can't wait. :)

Right now I have Jason,Mark,Redkanu,Bubba,Luvmybonnet on my permit.
And we dont know whats going on cause were exicited too!:laugh:
2 More sleeps!

KeeWayKeno
05-17-2016, 16:15
So I'm heading up bright & early tomorrow. Will see what I can do about snagging one of the island sites or one of the two close to the Sawyer Lake portage. My goal Thursday morning will be to try 'squatting' on a second site close by. If we stay at 18 or less, the two sites may suffice if the trees cooperate.

Weather looks awesome, bugs are reportedly still 'light' (but a couple of 20 degree days will change that real quick!).

Looks like the 'group meal' thing isn't happening but if you change your minds after tomorrow morning when i go 'off-grid' I've got plenty of Ramen Noodles to contribute. What canoeist doesn't love them, right?

See y'all in the Park!

(P.S. My solo boat is actually green. Mostly.)

Donski
05-17-2016, 17:50
What time on Saturday do you expect to arrive at the parking? I could always paddle out there to help with some of your gear.

Thanks for the offer but I am pretty sure I'll be OK. After switching to smaller drybags, most of it fit.

keg
05-17-2016, 21:14
Anyone not on a permit yet can message me for my permit info.

Bubba
05-17-2016, 23:37
Chard is usually who does much of the organizing and I try to help a bit in the thread but since he is not attending, our organization is not as good as it normally is. Chard's absence can be felt even before any paddle touches water! I've tried to help steer things but I've been busy and my attendance has been in question more so than usual since I've been nursing a back injury the last two weeks.

I'll likely be heading in on Thursday with 76 highboy and LuvmyBonnet. We'll meet up with Red Kanu on Rain lake and await those coming in Friday. This is our largest group ever so I think we'll just have to figure out sites when everyone is present. Ideally we can all camp on the island but it may not be possible. Also, not everyone may want to camp all together either which is of course totally fine. We've always said in the past that anyone can do whatever they like. No one needs to feel pressure to not do anything they wouldn't ordinarily do on a canoe trip. Fishing, day tripping, or lollygaging are just a few of the things people tend to do.

As keg posted, anyone not on a permit should send Keg a PM. I'm assuming because of the Wednesday arrival Red Kanu has a permit already.

Those arriving Friday can choose to meet on the way up or at the permit office or even just show up at the camp site. In the past we've met at a Tim's on the way to the park but you can choose to do as your various schedules and plans allow.

Chard is also an organizer of the group meal and he has a nice big pot perfect for group stews/soups. I think for this trip we'll just skip the group meal. Not to say you can't bring stuff to share mind you which happens anyways.

I haven't seen any indication that anyone needs a spot in a canoe. Feel free to post if anyone needs anything or if you want to arrange meet up times.

For me, it's just about getting out on the water, enjoying the backcountry, seeing old friends and making new ones.

Bubba
05-17-2016, 23:52
I don't think they'll be amused at the registry office when a ragtag bunch of hangers filter thru and don't know what's going on lol...

Lol, that's what always happens. :)

Bubba
05-19-2016, 10:41
Halfway there. Have a safe drive everyone and we'll see you soon.

Jayson
05-19-2016, 12:11
See ya tomorow afternoon. Text if you forgot anything.

LuvmyBonnet
05-23-2016, 16:27
Trip Report.
hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/125610-Algonquin-Rain-Lake-Trip-Report?p=1632266#post1632266

KeeWayKeno
05-23-2016, 19:45
Great T.R. & photos LuvmyBonnet!

WalkintheWoods
05-23-2016, 21:20
I had a great weekend. Thanks Bonnet for posting your pics!

Donski
05-25-2016, 05:09
Great pictures!
I had a great weekend! The weather was great, as was the company! Thanks to everyone for your tips and help! my next hang should go smoother.
I hope everyone’s drive home was better than mine. While somewhat uneventful, what should have been a 4 hour (or less) drive, ended up being 7 hours. I hit the road at peak traffic! It reminded me why we don’t go camping on the long weekends anymore.

LuvmyBonnet
05-25-2016, 16:07
I hope everyone’s drive home was better than mine. While somewhat uneventful, what should have been a 4 hour (or less) drive, ended up being 7 hours. I hit the road at peak traffic! It reminded me why we don’t go camping on the long weekends anymore.
You were not alone my friend. I left on Sunday at noon and still got stuck in stop and go traffic for quite some time. I hate driving on the QEW. No one has any respect for your personal space. People driving a foot off your bumper and cutting a foot in front of you. Geez! Surprised you don't have more multi car pile ups than you already do. Took about 2hrs 15 min longer coming home. I didn't let it put a damper on my weekend. :D

Donski
05-25-2016, 20:38
You were not alone my friend. I left on Sunday at noon and still got stuck in stop and go traffic for quite some time. I hate driving on the QEW. No one has any respect for your personal space. People driving a foot off your bumper and cutting a foot in front of you. Geez! Surprised you don't have more multi car pile ups than you already do. Took about 2hrs 15 min longer coming home. I didn't let it put a damper on my weekend. :D

The QEW is almost always crazy. I didn't let it put a damper on mine either, it was fun and I look forward to the next one. I just wouldn't do it every long weekend:D

LuvmyBonnet
06-02-2016, 08:53
Did anyone ever find out what the story was with OutNaboot?!? I only saw one guy on the other end of the island. He was chopping wood and apparently the others went back to the launch to try to find someone else. They never visited while I was there.

OotN'Aboot
06-02-2016, 08:53
We came that night