PDA

View Full Version : Multi-Buckles are BACK

ripstopbytheroll
03-11-2016, 18:14
Remember that scene in Wizard of Oz where Dorothy walks out and into color?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6D8PAGelN8

Pretty much how I felt picking up the first batch of new Multi-Buckles yesterday :). Without further adieu: http://ripstopbytheroll.com/products/1-multi-buckle

Compared to the original, the baseline functionality of the new Multi-Buckle hasn't changed. We did put a small hole in the middle that allows you to put string through cordage. This should be a handy way to store your buckles when not in use. Maybe it has some other uses, but that was the only intended use. That being said, the obvious thing we have done is introduce COLOR to hammock hardware. We brought you Baskin Robbins for fabric colors, so only seemed fitting to do it for hardware :cool:

Now as most know the standard method of coloring Ti and aluminum is anodizing, but we had another idea. Enter Cerakote - the world's toughest ceramic coating. If you haven't heard of it, it's basically the hardest, toughest ceramic coating you can put on metal. So we're adding color, but also functionality. Compared to standard anodizing, you'll get more abrasion/wear resistance plus no corrosion.

Maybe the best part is that we've worked with a local shop to develop a cost-efficient way to coat in small batches. Our supply chain now consists of an upstart machinist working out of his garage and a Cerakote shop just down the road. This means more colors, more options, and reasonable prices for you. I like it.

To kick things off, we're offering the new Cerakote Multi-Buckle at the original uncoated price of $5 /buckle. I've also setup FREE shipping for these. That price won't last long, so you know the drill. I'm leaving for Ecuador on Sunday night, so I'll probably need to update it before then.

*Note - We do have more colors coming in about 10 days (full list on the product page). I know a lot of people have been patiently waiting for these to come back for a while now, so we busted it to get a couple colors done before I left. My favorite is the Blue Ti btw.

Have a great weekend!

TFC Rick
03-11-2016, 20:20
Thanks Kyle! Just got 2 sets.

ripstopbytheroll
03-11-2016, 20:44
Thanks Kyle! Just got 2 sets.

Thanks Rick. Soon as these are bagged up I'll get tracking on the order and drop off tomorrow. Cup of coffee was all it took lol.

TFC Rick
03-11-2016, 21:15
Man those are awesome looking.

hungh13
03-11-2016, 21:25
When is the next generation of colors coming in? I saw website says 3/23? Planning to order couple red, but looking for black color.

ripstopbytheroll
03-11-2016, 22:11
When is the next generation of colors coming in? I saw website says 3/23? Planning to order couple red, but looking for black color.

Yes 3/23. It's possible we could get some colors next week if I bug the coating crew enough.

hungh13
03-11-2016, 22:34
Yes 3/23. It's possible we could get some colors next week if I bug the coating crew enough.

awesome!

goobie
03-11-2016, 22:37

Hopefully for the same deal as the first batch of colors??

Squid In The Woods
03-12-2016, 02:18
Ordered two sets myself. Thanks for getting these out there.

ripstopbytheroll
03-12-2016, 10:43
Ordered two sets myself. Thanks for getting these out there.

No problem it's been a really cool project. Thanks for the order!

Gone Native
03-12-2016, 21:29
Glad I stumbled upon this yesterday. Waiting patiently for delivery. Thanks.

daneaustin3
03-13-2016, 07:57
If anyone is not familiar with cerekote you will love it. It has been used in firearms and knives for years and is a great coating. Many knife blades are coated and stand up to lots of cutting and chopping.

Zilla
03-13-2016, 14:19
Grabbed a couple pair, thanks!

xtrm611
03-14-2016, 14:16
2 sets on the way!

onetearless
03-14-2016, 14:33
Didn't know what these were so I looked at an old post

https://hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/117722-Multi-Buckles-now-available-4-50-pair?highlight=multi+buckle

Nice!

but do you have any of the uncoated. $4.50 a pair sounds more my style.

Koolranch
03-14-2016, 21:31
How does Dream Hammock fit into this?

goobie
03-14-2016, 22:18
From this thread https://hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/117722-Multi-Buckles-now-available-4-50-pair

NOTE: In the interest of full disclosure, there is a method to my madness. With the permission of Dream Hammock, I have modified the original MULTI-BUCKLE design and need to move these out before bringing in the new. Right now the new design is top secret, so no hints. But suffice to say, it should shake things up.

Lastly, I want to thank Dream Hammock for allowing me to sell their innovative design and TATO gear for manufacturing a high-quality end product. Have a good night everyone.

onetearless
03-15-2016, 09:42
Ahhhhhh, so no then.

Fantastic work on the improoved coating! Very colorful!

Shihan
03-19-2016, 19:35
I ordered two last week, very fast delivery. Liked the so much I just ordered two more.

TFC Rick
03-19-2016, 21:39
These things are great! Thanks Kyle!

TominMN
03-20-2016, 13:59
Looks great. Just wondering if anyone has explored doing these in titanium?

ripstopbytheroll
03-21-2016, 16:50
Looks great. Just wondering if anyone has explored doing these in titanium?

Yes you can do them in Ti and also other materials. The easy way is to just cut the thickness in half and roll with it. You can do even better if you optimize the part design for each material though. I'll let you guess which I prefer.

On a totally unrelated note, technology is crazy man. I'm sitting outside the presidential palace in Quito, Ecuador, but I just answered you here and made a phone call to the states via Skype. I mean, it's pretty cool.

Also, Ecuador has some sweet fabric prints. There's a big sewing industry here. Been a great trip, but ready to head home tonight.

goobie
03-21-2016, 17:49
That fabric!!....... third from the left......... 5 rows back......... I want that for my next hammock!!! Does it come in sil??

I'm kidding, of course. Sounds like your enjoying a well deserved break!

geneaut
03-24-2016, 11:09
Enjoy your trip !

Eidson
04-11-2016, 14:06
Any update on the additional colors being up on the site? I know the arrival date has fluctuated a bit, but been waiting for a pair of the new safety orange multi-buckles to put the finishing touch on a hammock.

ripstopbytheroll
04-11-2016, 14:12
Any update on the additional colors being up on the site? I know the arrival date has fluctuated a bit, but been waiting for a pair of the new safety orange multi-buckles to put the finishing touch on a hammock.

Picked them up this morning. Will get on the site and announce tonight hopefully.

Eidson
04-11-2016, 14:22
Picked them up this morning. Will get on the site and announce tonight hopefully.

Awesome. Thanks Kyle!
I was only looking for the orange, but after seeing the pink and purple, I think I may have to update my daughter's hammock.

ripstopbytheroll
04-12-2016, 18:17
Happy to announce that all 16 colors of the 1" Cerakote Multi-Buckle are now available: http://ripstopbytheroll.com/products/1-multi-buckle.

Since the 12 new colors were not in the first batch a few weeks back, we're running the special price of $5 per buckle with FREE SHIPPING once again. This price will vanish at 11:59 pm tomorrow night and will not return.

I want to stress that this price will not be coming back. I know there were a lot of folks wanting other colors during the first batch, so I hope this message gets to everyone in time. I don't necessarily want to sell out during this sale, but if we do... we do.

If you haven't seen one of our Cerakote Multi-Buckles, I can summarize: it's multi-function, precision milled hammock hardware - in COLOR. Between the manufacturing details and the Cerakote, there are several things that just haven't been done before. Trick out your setup and scoop these up now during the deal. You will not be disappointed. Promise.

GoatHanger
04-12-2016, 18:28
Still says they are out of stock :'(

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160412/a6e5c95ad6e86addd54b5f257fcfdf14.jpg

ripstopbytheroll
04-12-2016, 18:49
Could be a phone specific bug, not sure. Not seeing any problem on iphone or PC though.

GoatHanger
04-12-2016, 18:52
Okie doke. I'll try from my laptop. Thanks for the quick reply!

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

GoatHanger
04-12-2016, 18:57
Seems to be only the Blue Ti, Flat Dark Earth, USMC Red, and Wild Green that show out of stock.

Ironically, the two colors I wanted were Blue Ti and Wild Green, haha.

TFC Rick
04-12-2016, 19:03
Got me again. Thanks Kyle!

ripstopbytheroll
04-12-2016, 19:52
Seems to be only the Blue Ti, Flat Dark Earth, USMC Red, and Wild Green that show out of stock.

Ironically, the two colors I wanted were Blue Ti and Wild Green, haha.

I just found a single Blue Ti that somehow got missed. Want it?

GoatHanger
04-12-2016, 20:06
I just found a single Blue Ti that somehow got missed. Want it?
That's super cool of you, man. Not necessary though, I already ordered some gray, green, and yellow. I just didn't realize at first that it was only the colors I wanted that were out of stock, not all of the colors.

Again though, really appreciate the sentiment. Super cool, man.

mychal
04-12-2016, 20:10
That's super cool of you, man. Not necessary though, I already ordered some gray, green, and yellow. I just didn't realize at first that it was only the colors I wanted that were out of stock, not all of the colors.

Again though, really appreciate the sentiment. Super cool, man.
I got a pair of those green ones (and the USMC orange, and the brown) from the first run. I don't really care what colors I have...I just wanted some variety. If you want, I'll trade you one or both of the greens for whatever you wanna send me.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

GoatHanger
04-12-2016, 20:28
I got a pair of those green ones (and the USMC orange, and the brown) from the first run. I don't really care what colors I have...I just wanted some variety. If you want, I'll trade you one or both of the greens for whatever you wanna send me.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Dang. Cool of you too, man. I really appreciate that. Really.

The colors I wanted were just first preference. It's not really that big of a deal. If it were, I wouldn't have ordered different colors, I would have just waited for the others to be in stock.

Sincerely appreciate you offering though. Mighty fine gentlemen, you fellas are.

TFC Rick
04-13-2016, 08:36
Sincerely appreciate you offering though. Mighty fine gentlemen, you fellas are.

Don't let that get out, we have a reputation to uphold around here. :lol:

ripstopbytheroll
04-13-2016, 14:11
Nice...

bccarlso
04-13-2016, 15:12
Sweet just ordered a pair, they look nice!

Zilla
04-13-2016, 15:19
Grabbed a few purple for the wife, i think i have more of these than i need, just can't help myself...:scared:

ripstopbytheroll
04-13-2016, 15:36
Electric yellow...

goobie
04-13-2016, 18:31
Happy to announce that all 16 colors of the 1" Cerakote Multi-Buckle are now available: http://ripstopbytheroll.com/products/1-multi-buckle.

Since the 12 new colors were not in the first batch a few weeks back, we're running the special price of $5 per buckle with FREE SHIPPING once again. This price will vanish at 11:59 pm tomorrow night and will not return.

I want to stress that this price will not be coming back. I know there were a lot of folks wanting other colors during the first batch, so I hope this message gets to everyone in time. I don't necessarily want to sell out during this sale, but if we do... we do.

If you haven't seen one of our Cerakote Multi-Buckles, I can summarize: it's multi-function, precision milled hammock hardware - in COLOR. Between the manufacturing details and the Cerakote, there are several things that just haven't been done before. Trick out your setup and scoop these up now during the deal. You will not be disappointed. Promise.

So these took 3 weeks longer to arrive for us to purchase than started on the website.......... and we get only a day at the special price???

mychal
04-13-2016, 18:32
So these took 3 weeks longer to arrive for us to purchase than started on the website.......... and we get only a day at the special price???
Dial it down, goob. These are Mom and Pop shops here. It's not an exact science.

goobie
04-13-2016, 18:39
Nothing to dial down, just an honest question. IIRC the first sale ended up going about a week?

TFC Rick
04-13-2016, 19:43
They also clearly stated only the first run would get the special price. This was a bonus and a very nice thing for them to do. 24 hours is plenty of time to take advantage of the sale.

TonyK
04-14-2016, 14:07
Glad I ordered the ones I needed when I did. Are more on the way?

ripstopbytheroll
04-14-2016, 19:56
Glad I ordered the ones I needed when I did. Are more on the way?

Yep. Not sure of the exact timing tho. Thanks for the order!

Zilla
04-15-2016, 14:56
Nothing to dial down, just an honest question. IIRC the first sale ended up going about a week?

The way i see it is that the man doesn't have to offer any speacial discount at all if he don't want to, it is a small mom and pop cottage store and I for one am greatful for the chance at a discounted price no matter how small the window is.
Don't look a gift horse in the mouth!!:unsure:

Ratdog
04-15-2016, 15:01
I was too slow :(

Need to up my game for the next round. :cool:

TonyK
04-17-2016, 08:56
Hi Kyle, I received the buckles and they are awesome. They really round out the entire purple theme for my wife's setup.

TonyK128803

GoatHanger
04-17-2016, 09:15
I am definitely diggin mine. These are so simple, and definitely multipurpose. The cerakote really makes them unique as well. Really great little devices. Thanks to Papa Smurf and Kyle for these. I'll probably end up getting more!

ripstopbytheroll
04-17-2016, 21:29
Hi Kyle, I received the buckles and they are awesome. They really round out the entire purple theme for my wife's setup.

TonyK128803

Thanks Tony! You've got a nice looking rig there.

ripstopbytheroll
04-17-2016, 21:30
I am definitely diggin mine. These are so simple, and definitely multipurpose. The cerakote really makes them unique as well. Really great little devices. Thanks to Papa Smurf and Kyle for these. I'll probably end up getting more!

Glad you're digging them!

z96cobra
04-23-2016, 12:35
What is the weight limit on these?

ripstopbytheroll
04-25-2016, 07:23
What is the weight limit on these?

The 1" Multi-Buckle was load tested to 1000 lbs on a straight pull test in all configurations. If you assume proper setup (30 deg hang angle), a weight limit of 300 lbs gives about a 3x safety margin.

z96cobra
04-25-2016, 19:30
Thanks for the info!

ripstopbytheroll
05-19-2016, 11:40
Wild Green, Safety Orange, and USMC red are now back in stock. We're sorting out a new shipping arrangement, but until that gets done, these are still shipping FREE.

pH@willie
05-21-2016, 06:05
I picked a couple up on Friday. 5/20. Wondering when the other colors will be available?

ripstopbytheroll
05-21-2016, 12:22
I picked a couple up on Friday. 5/20. Wondering when the other colors will be available?

Shooting for the end of the week. Thanks for your order!

Namtrag
05-21-2016, 16:54
For whatever operator errors we made, my wife and I both had the straps come off the buckle and we ended up on the ground with a thud. Now I'm scared to try again.

ripstopbytheroll
05-22-2016, 12:46
For whatever operator errors we made, my wife and I both had the straps come off the buckle and we ended up on the ground with a thud. Now I'm scared to try again.

Very sorry about that and glad you're OK. Shoot us an email and we'll be happy to help you determine what happened.

Namtrag
05-22-2016, 14:37
Very sorry about that and glad you're OK. Shoot us an email and we'll be happy to help you determine what happened.

No worries! Next time we try, we will take some pics.

Firesong
05-22-2016, 16:39
Played with my multi buckles a bit this weekend. Used them a different way. Simply wrapped the strap around the top a few times as in the picture and put my continuous loops over the bottom. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160522/766aa385b9e363db4cedfcdd435d1d32.jpg

Worked great
J

Zilla
05-22-2016, 16:49
Played with my multi buckles a bit this weekend. Used them a different way. Simply wrapped the strap around the top a few times as in the picture and put my continuous loops over the bottom. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160522/766aa385b9e363db4cedfcdd435d1d32.jpg

Worked great
J

Hmmm, never thought of using them that way.

Firesong
05-22-2016, 17:20
No knots. Just friction. It doesn't budge

Banjoman
05-22-2016, 19:36
I was thinking it would be nice if the buckles were made to accept 7/64th amsteel through that hole in the center of the buckle. The buckles would have to be redesigned with thicker centers, of course. Just an idea.

goobie
05-22-2016, 20:57

Had this happen on my last hang, on one side only. The strap was slipping on the smooth bark of one of the trees I was using and I'm fairly certain this is what caused the problem. Held fine on the other tree, but I removed them both anyways.

JasonACraft
05-22-2016, 22:28
I did that last weekend too! Two pair, one set for straps around the tree, the other as a toggle to hook my whoopie slings over. I didn't remember to put the slippery hitch in afterwards and that title shot outta there....cracked my tail bone with that fall...

Anyways, found the buckle 30-35' away, hitched it back up and slept pretty well. The hike out the next day 'bout killed me...but it was an adventure!

1-Hung-Low
05-22-2016, 22:45

TonyK128803

I see you have the "Patterned Polyester" straps from Strapworks. I really like the thickness of those straps.
Just ordered 4 of the "Multi-Buckles" tonight

PapaSmurf
05-23-2016, 11:13
I'd be very interested to hear details from folks who have had any trouble with these.
Type of webbing used, how the buckles were threaded and put into use, exact point of slippage, etc. I'm also available via email ([email protected]) if I may personally help in any way.

rais'n hammock
05-23-2016, 11:56
I'd be very interested to hear details from folks who have had any trouble with these.
Type of webbing used, how the buckles were threaded and put into use, exact point of slippage, etc. I'm also available via email ([email protected]) if I may personally help in any way.

I have been watching this thread as I had my strap slip out the 2nd or 3rd time I used these. It was odd because I had them set up in my basement around some open studs and I had hung a number of times on them before. Just this once I had the strap slip out and I landed in my backside.

I mostly use some 1" tubular PE strapping from REI. They are much thicker than a single strap and I thought the thickness would be an advantage. I have used them since but am always very careful and watch both ends when getting in after initial setup or in the hammock for the night. I put one side on the loop of my strap and the other side just has the strap through the open slot on the other side. I purchased mine from RSBTR and they are unfinished (plain aluminum) so I am not sure they are the exact same as these but they look the same.

JasonACraft
05-23-2016, 12:14

I am using dutch's straps. I'm positive this is user error, like other's I tested repeatedly at home before taking them out. I must not have checked them enough before my 'test sit' though.http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160523/676d2050c6db693fee50d9f10973a116.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160523/65aa7e1ae7abf6929e12566deb8790f8.jpg

PapaSmurf
05-23-2016, 12:30
I have been watching this thread as I had my strap slip out the 2nd or 3rd time I used these. It was odd because I had them set up in my basement around some open studs and I had hung a number of times on them before. Just this once I had the strap slip out and I landed in my backside.

I mostly use some 1" tubular PE strapping from REI. They are much thicker than a single strap and I thought the thickness would be an advantage. I have used them since but am always very careful and watch both ends when getting in after initial setup or in the hammock for the night. I put one side on the loop of my strap and the other side just has the strap through the open slot on the other side. I purchased mine from RSBTR and they are unfinished (plain aluminum) so I am not sure they are the exact same as these but they look the same.

Take a peek at this video. Specifically the first 30 or 40 seconds. The tree strap loop should go through the slots on both sides of the buckle. If only connected to one side of the MultiBuckle, there is a possibility of it pulling out through the little slot. Of course, that may make them much tougher to work with considering the thicker tubular webbing you are using.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCglc66xAvU

sidvicious
05-23-2016, 12:34
those look great, man........sv-

PapaSmurf
05-23-2016, 12:40
I am using dutch's straps. I'm positive this is user error, like other's I tested repeatedly at home before taking them out. I must not have checked them enough before my 'test sit' though.

The buckles are threaded correctly, but in your photo the loop is on upside down and preventing the MultiBuckle from locking into place. You should be able to see the top edge of the MultiBuckle, not the bottom edge. This video shows how it should appear right around the :45 to :50 second area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6vLYw3ea9s

JasonACraft
05-23-2016, 12:54
The buckles are threaded correctly, but in your photo the loop is on upside down and preventing the MultiBuckle from locking into place. You should be able to see the top edge of the MultiBuckle, not the bottom edge. This video shows how it should appear right around the :45 to :50 second area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6vLYw3ea9s
awesome! So I've been cheating falling this whole time....thanks for the feedback, I knew it had to be my fault.:)

Intimidator
05-23-2016, 13:00
I was reading this and thinking... dang I've used these a few times with no problems. I think I ordered them when they first came out from dh. Went out in the yard and set up a bridge hammock I never use just for fun. I used them in place of a carabiner/ Dutch clip. Sure enough, had my first drop to the ground ever. (impressive right?) I am pretty confident I used them correctly and have always used them based on the demo video. Nothing in the strap or buckle was compromised so I can only assume the strap somehow slipped through the buckle. Using Dutch poly webbing.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

PapaSmurf
05-23-2016, 13:00
awesome! So I've been cheating falling this whole time....thanks for the feedback, I knew it had to be my fault.:)
No problem at all. I'm glad it's something we can point to and say "that's why".
Some of us have to fall once in a while so we all know what doesn't work. :)

hk2001
05-23-2016, 13:21
If I can use a multitasking piece of gear for anything in the outdoors, I will. I remember a few years ago, I lost some hardware while out on a multiday hike.. I spent the next few nights getting creative on how to hang.

Now, I use Multibuckles EVERYWHERE. I keep a spare pair hiding on a 1" strap on my pack, so if I ever lose a piece of hardware, I have backups on hand. Granted, with the Cerakote, it's going to be a lot harder to lose them.

My favorite use: Bridge hammocks - Dog bone to whoopie connection.

Zilla
05-23-2016, 13:59
No problem at all. I'm glad it's something we can point to and say "that's why".
Some of us have to fall once in a while so we all know what doesn't work. :)

If y'all don't mind i will leave the falling to someone else and just learn from thier mistakes.
Some lessons need to be learned the hard way but whenever i can i am ok with learning from others..!:tongueup::tongueup::tongueup::tongueup:: tongueup:..
Much easier on the backside..

JasonACraft
05-23-2016, 16:06
If y'all don't mind i will leave the falling to someone else and just learn from thier mistakes.
Some lessons need to be learned the hard way but whenever i can i am ok with learning from others..!:tongueup::tongueup::tongueup::tongueup:: tongueup:..
Much easier on the backside..

Please do! Expected 2-3 months for my tailbone recovery.... [emoji52]

goobie
05-23-2016, 16:45

AHE straps, about 4 years old and a bit stiffer than new. Threaded same as in your video, I watched it a bunch of times before I got to use em:D. IIRC the top of the strap came out of the buckle, not entirely sure though. I was setup on the side of a hill, foot end strap that came loose was WAY up there! I think it was the slippage on the smooth bark that caused my issue. As soon as I can get back out there I'll get some pics for ya PapaSmurf.

I've used them on 2 different types of hammock stands with no problems..... so I'm blaming the trees!!:scared: Stupid nature.......:scared::lol::lol:

rais'n hammock
05-23-2016, 17:33
Take a peek at this video. Specifically the first 30 or 40 seconds. The tree strap loop should go through the slots on both sides of the buckle. If only connected to one side of the MultiBuckle, there is a possibility of it pulling out through the little slot. Of course, that may make them much tougher to work with considering the thicker tubular webbing you are using.

I will change the loop connection to the middle and see if there is enough room for my strap as you demonstrate. It might be tight and time to change to a single thickness strap. I have used them successfully when I am careful but it is more relaxing to set it and forget it than having to double check every time I get in.

Flash Grundelore
05-23-2016, 18:36
If I can use a multitasking piece of gear for anything in the outdoors, I will. I remember a few years ago, I lost some hardware while out on a multiday hike.. I spent the next few nights getting creative on how to hang.

Now, I use Multibuckles EVERYWHERE. I keep a spare pair hiding on a 1" strap on my pack, so if I ever lose a piece of hardware, I have backups on hand. Granted, with the Cerakote, it's going to be a lot harder to lose them.

My favorite use: Bridge hammocks - Dog bone to whoopie connection.

So... you are using them rotated 90°? .....ie: "fangs" pointing up and down the length of the line and not across?

hk2001
05-23-2016, 20:37
So... you are using them rotated 90°? .....ie: "fangs" pointing up and down the length of the line and not across?

I'm using them like this (Blue line is whoopie sling, each black is a separate dog bone)

goobie
05-23-2016, 20:45
I'm using them like this (Blue line is whoopie sling, each black is a separate dog bone)

So I'd be safe using them on each side of my "open" CL's?? Same as your picture except I'd be catching either side of the loop.

hk2001
05-23-2016, 20:53
So I'd be safe using them on each side of my "open" CL's?? Same as your picture except I'd be catching either side of the loop.

I can't make a judgement on what is safe outside of the 4 uses we list on the site. I risk my own butt quite often in the name of testing :)

Hang your own hang, Never hang higher than your willing to fall.. and when in doubt, pad under your hammock :) I picked up a cheap $20 air mattress from walmart for when I test new things. It's saved my tailbone more than a lot.