PDA

View Full Version : 07 Ect Hike

T-BACK
06-03-2007, 16:24
My life story is developing so fast these past few weeks that I don't even know where to start this post. Let me just start by saying that I'm leaving in October for Key West to start a northbound hike of the ECT. This will be more of a Christian mission than a recreational hike. So much to do in so little time but I have faith that everything will fall into place. Of course I will not be sleeping on the ground;) . I ordered my Snugfit from Ed yesterday and now I've got to work on my passport and all my trail permits. I received my Florida Trail Assoc. membership package yesterday. I'm playing with equipment and packing lists today. I've got to make a hammock stuffsack and due to the speed and ease of setup with the figure 9's I may get away from the tarp skins and go with a stuffsack there also. Gaiters are another project on the worktable. Well, back to work for now!

slowhike
06-03-2007, 17:49
WOW... that's exciting bro!!!
keep us informed. i'll be looking forward to hearing more!
w/ prayers... tim

Just Jeff
06-03-2007, 19:03
Awesome! Are you keeping a journal?

Tango61
06-03-2007, 20:42
I hope you've been reading Sue Turner's (Hammock Hanger) journal on Trailjournals. If not, you should. She's on the ECT right now and it has been a great read!

Man, that woman can walk!!

T

Tango61
06-03-2007, 21:10
Oops, Sue is on the Great Eastern Trail right now. She started down in Florida too, though.
Not sure if these two trails are the same.

T

Cannibal
06-04-2007, 07:51
Oops, Sue is on the Great Eastern Trail right now. She started down in Florida too, though.
Not sure if these two trails are the same.

T

I think it depends on who you ask. I think the only difference is the Florida Keys Roadwalk. I don't "think" the GET includes those 175 miles of concrete.

I'll be two months behind you T-Back (Jan 1; new year, new attitude) be sure to say "hi" in the registers. Good luck and happy trails!:cool:

headchange4u
06-04-2007, 07:59
That's great, T-Back. I wish you the best on your hike.

BTW, I got my SnugFit Saturday. It's soooo nice.

peanuts
06-04-2007, 08:01
oops don't know what went wrong.
congrats tback and good luck!

T-BACK
06-05-2007, 18:16
oops don't know what went wrong.
congrats tback and good luck!

That's great, T-Back. I wish you the best on your hike.

BTW, I got my SnugFit Saturday. It's soooo nice.

WOW... that's exciting bro!!!
keep us informed. i'll be looking forward to hearing more!
w/ prayers... tim

Thanks everyone I need all the support I can get:D

T-BACK
06-05-2007, 18:23
Awesome! Are you keeping a journal?

I will be keeping a journal. I'm going to be getting a pocket mail to keep in touch with everyone. I've also started a journal at Trail Journals.

T-BACK
06-05-2007, 18:26
I'll be two months behind you T-Back (Jan 1; new year, new attitude) be sure to say "hi" in the registers. Good luck and happy trails!:cool:[/QUOTE]

You're hiking the ECT?

Cannibal
06-06-2007, 10:18
Going to attempt to do it, yep! It's nice to know there will be someone ahead of me testing all the "hangin trees". :)

Isaiah52:7
06-14-2007, 14:48
Exciting news. Will you post your trailjournals link? I would enjoy keeping up with your trip.

Hooch
06-14-2007, 14:59
Let me just start by saying that I'm leaving in October for Key West to start a northbound hike of the ECT. This will be more of a Christian mission than a recreational hike.
T-Back, I wish you the best of luck on your hike, my friend. If there's anything I can do, don't hesitate to let me know. :D

slowhike
06-14-2007, 15:02
T-Back, I wish you the best of luck on your hike, my friend. If there's anything I can do, don't hesitate to let me know. :D

same here bro. ...tim

T-BACK
06-14-2007, 16:43
Exciting news. Will you post your trailjournals link? I would enjoy keeping up with your trip.

Here's a link to my journal. http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=6037. Hopefully I'll be able to share some helpful tips on hammocking. In some areas I'm going to have to get really creative to sleep above ground.

T-BACK
06-14-2007, 16:50
T-Back, I wish you the best of luck on your hike, my friend. If there's anything I can do, don't hesitate to let me know.

same here bro. ...tim

Thanks guys. When I get in your areas I might bum a hot shower off of you:D Maybe you guys can hike with me for a few days on the trail. I would be honored.

headchange4u
06-14-2007, 17:11
Here's a link to my journal. http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=6037. Hopefully I'll be able to share some helpful tips on hammocking. In some areas I'm going to have to get really creative to sleep above ground.

You need to get some photos of your hammock setup in the gear section.:D

slowhike
06-14-2007, 20:03
T-Back, I wish you the best of luck on your hike, my friend. If there's anything I can do, don't hesitate to let me know.

Thanks guys. When I get in your areas I might bum a hot shower off of you:D Maybe you guys can hike with me for a few days on the trail. I would be honored.

my shower might be quite a ways off your path, but maybe i could work it out to hike w/ you for a day or two. ...tim

slowhike
06-14-2007, 20:15

brian... your hiking/hammocking friends would like to thank your wife for her support of you in this hike!
i don't know how much time you've spent w/ that BA pad in cool temps, but for me it starts feeling cool underneath me in the upper 40s & sometimes the low 50s.
i recently told about using it inside the snug fit quilt at trail days in the mid 30s. i figured that having it inside an under quilt would increase it's comfort range & it did, but it was still noticeably cool underneath me.
turns out i was warmer w/o it, laying directly on the hammock w/ the snug fit under quilt. ..tim

T-BACK
06-15-2007, 18:44
You need to get some photos of your hammock setup in the gear section.:D

Yes, I'm planning to get some pictures up soon.

my shower might be quite a ways off your path, but maybe i could work it out to hike w/ you for a day or two. ...tim[/QUOTE]

I look forward to it!

brian... your hiking/hammocking friends would like to thank your wife for her support of you in this hike!

Brother, that's one way I know the LORD is behind this trip.;)

i don't know how much time you've spent w/ that BA pad in cool temps, but for me it starts feeling cool underneath me in the upper 40s & sometimes the low 50s.
.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I'm only going to use it during the southern part of my hike in Florida. I will go through a long section with very few hanging opportunities. I also have an insulated air core that I sometimes use during the colder months when I am Reenacting (Civil War). Last year it got down to about 18 degrees in Lake City and I slept pretty cool underneath. The Exped would have been a better choice but that environment is kind of rough on gear. I didn't want to risk any damage to it.

T-BACK
08-20-2007, 20:29
Well I've crossed another hurdle today. I had sinus surgery this morning and I can breath through my nose again.:D I had polyps that had completely occluded most of my sinuses. Once everything stops bleeding and draining (which can take up to two weeks) I'll be good to go. Right now I look like I've got a white, Hitler style gauze moustach. I had forgotten what it felt like to breath through my nose. I turn in my resignation in three weeks. I just realized that I've been a double-digit miget for a while now! I'll use the time off work to get some pics posted of my set-up and to take care of som last minute logistics. I got my Pocketmail from UPS on Friday, also my polycro groundsheet and Dri Ducks from Gossamer Gear. I can't wait to try them out (the ducks not the ground sheet:rolleyes: Pardon any typos, I'm on painkillers!

slowhike
08-20-2007, 21:26
i'll bet it does feel great to be able to breath through your nostrils!
that should be helpful in more than one way.

i know you're excited about the hike.
we'll be looking forward to seeing pictures & hearing the details.
and we'll miss you at hot springs this trip, but all you've got going on, it's sure understandable. ...tim

Hooch
08-21-2007, 03:28
Brian, sorry you won't make Hot Springs also, but we totally understand why. I'm glad all is falling in place for your ECT hike, I hope all goes well for you my friend. Just remember to let us know if you need anything. We're only a mail drop away. I'll PM you my number, just in case you need something. I'm always hapy to help a friend out. :D

Hooch
10-22-2007, 08:25
Has anyone heard from T-Back since he started his ECT hike? Does anyone know if he has a Trailjounal or not?

Cannibal
10-22-2007, 08:28
Here you go!

http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=185183

Hooch
10-22-2007, 08:31
Here you go!

http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=185183Gracias! :D

Cannibal
10-22-2007, 08:33
He has learned how much roadwalks suck in Florida! I feel his pain on that one.

kohburn
10-22-2007, 09:16
the last post is a week old now.

Cannibal
10-22-2007, 09:28
Yeah, I just signed his guest book trying to make him feel bad and post something. :D

Actually, I did send him a PM so that he can get in touch with me when he gets to my neighborhood. I'm guessing that he should be in this area in a couple of weeks. I'm hopin to be able to offer a hot and a cot. I'll let everyone know if I get a chance to meet up with him.

GrizzlyAdams
10-22-2007, 09:29
the last post is a week old now.

hammock engineer's posts lag by about 2 weeks, but he's writing hundreds of words almost every day. I've wondered if this is a design option with livejournal, to delay posting, for the safety of the poster (to obscure location). Or maybe just coincidence.

Just last week there was a report of how some teens in England posted details about a birthday party that evening on YouTube, the party was crashed by some hooligans, the house trashed, people beaten.

it's a screwy world we live in where we have to be so careful about what we put on the Internet.

Grizz

slowhike
10-22-2007, 15:14
Yeah, I just signed his guest book trying to make him feel bad and post something. :D

Actually, I did send him a PM so that he can get in touch with me when he gets to my neighborhood. I'm guessing that he should be in this area in a couple of weeks. I'm hopin to be able to offer a hot and a cot. I'll let everyone know if I get a chance to meet up with him.

he's a good guy. i hope that works out.

T-BACK
01-05-2008, 11:12
Hey Guys,

I'm staying with Hammock Hanger in Jacksonville for a couple of days to get my cold weather gear in order and to thaw out. (18* two nights ago) Now I will be heading West for a change. A few more weeks and I will be a Florida Trail end2ender, God willing. I miss you guys and think of you often. Keep the home fires burning until I return. BTW I have had issues with my Poctmail device transmitting symbols instead of text. It seem to be working now but several days are unaccounted for. I'm going to try and get everything current while enjoying the hospitality of HH and her husband. Thanks for being patient with the journals.

Just Jeff
01-05-2008, 11:17
Good stuff, T-BACK - keep moving and it'll all work out. I haven't met HH yet but I read all kinds of stuff from her when I first started hanging. Hope to meet her eventually.

slowhike
01-05-2008, 15:08
good to hear from you brian. i'll look forward to catching up on your journals! ...tim