PDA

View Full Version : GG ThinLight Ratings

LyttleBryan
12-04-2009, 14:26
Anyone able to shed some light on what I can expect out of the varying thicknesses of GG ThinLight? I was looking at the Pad Comparison Matrix (http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/pad_matrix.html), but didn't really see anything to give me an idea of what to get. I'm waiting (quite anxiously) for my new WBBB to get here, and was just thinking about the foot insulation issue. Actually I'm thinking about insulation in general as I have no winter suitable insulation.

animalcontrol
12-04-2009, 14:47
Anyone able to shed some light on what I can expect out of the varying thicknesses of GG ThinLight? I was looking at the Pad Comparison Matrix (http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/pad_matrix.html), but didn't really see anything to give me an idea of what to get. I'm waiting (quite anxiously) for my new WBBB to get here, and was just thinking about the foot insulation issue. Actually I'm thinking about insulation in general as I have no winter suitable insulation.

there is a chart in the middle of this (http://www.hammockcamping.com/Newsletters/2006/Jan2006.htm) page ...it is only a guide and your personal temps will vary.
Pads for just under the legs (using 2/3 UQ) will go much lower than if the same pad is your primary insulation under your entire body.
1/4" GG pad for me was good to 50-55* (maybe lower including clothes). same pad good to 35-40* for just under my legs using a 2/3 UQ
YRMV

Fiddleback
12-05-2009, 12:13
It's really difficult to answer because of all the variables. As animalcontrol mentioned above, clothes and other parts of the sleep system impact the overall comfort. With my hammock sleep system, my 3/8" pad is good to the low-20's. If I added my blue foam sit pad I could probably get another 10 degrees lower. But then, I'd have to add something to keep the top warm.:rolleyes:

The sleep system is a system. Add or change one part, and it effects the performance of the others.

FB

wisenber
12-06-2009, 12:38
I just got back from using my new DIY DL hammock. I took a GG Thinlite wide 1/4" 40X60 and folded in half to yield 40X30X1/2. Folded over to make a 1/2" thick pad is supposed to yield R2 (about 26* of insulation or warmth to about 44*). I used the pad placed between the layers of the DL hammock and a Te-Wa 3 season 3/4 length UQ. That system kept me pretty warm down to about 15* last night at about 3000' elevation. Under my feet, I used a stuffsack filled with extra socks and a jacket.

All in all, not bad for bottom insulation. I used my JRB Old Rag Mtn for a TQ.

LyttleBryan
12-06-2009, 17:39
I just got back from using my new DIY DL hammock. I took a GG Thinlite wide 1/4" 40X60 and folded in half to yield 40X30X1/2. Folded over to make a 1/2" thick pad is supposed to yield R2 (about 26* of insulation or warmth to about 44*). I used the pad placed between the layers of the DL hammock and a Te-Wa 3 season 3/4 length UQ. That system kept me pretty warm down to about 15* last night at about 3000' elevation. Under my feet, I used a stuffsack filled with extra socks and a jacket.

All in all, not bad for bottom insulation. I used my JRB Old Rag Mtn for a TQ.

Looking forward to seeing all your nifty toys in a couple of weeks!

wisenber
12-06-2009, 18:37
Looking forward to seeing all your nifty toys in a couple of weeks!

I was going to use my GoLite pack, but in the interest of bringing hammock toys along, I may need to bring my Deuter pack to hold all of the hammocks and quilts and such.

LyttleBryan
12-06-2009, 18:42
I was going to use my GoLite pack, but in the interest of bringing hammock toys along, I may need to bring my Deuter pack to hold all of the hammocks and quilts and such.

It's only a 3 mile hike, and aside from a 1/4 mile steep up, it's easy as pie. I'm actually packing in a couple of firelogs to increase our chances of someone catching something sil-nylony on fire!

MacEntyre
12-06-2009, 18:52
I've found Thinlite to be slightly squishier and lighter than Speer or OWF foam pads. The Speer and OWF pads are more firm.

- MacEntyre

wisenber
12-06-2009, 19:51
I've found Thinlite to be slightly squishier and lighter than Speer or OWF foam pads. The Speer and OWF pads are more firm.

- MacEntyre

My GG 1/4" wide is pretty "squishy". I bought it to put between the layers of my DL hammock. For that, it seems to work well enough.

I do like the flexibility of an unmodified wide pad. If it's too warm, I don't use it. If I need 13* extra insulation I use it as a single layer. If I need 26* of extra insulation, I can make a double layer 20X60 or 30X40. I did get a pretty wet back even through my Gore-Tex jacket last night when I used it in the teens.