PDA

View Full Version : BLOG: How Do You Find Time To Go Backpacking?

12trysomething
04-18-2016, 16:32
I've got all the gear, now I just need to find the time to use it.

This was a fun collaboration on an important topic....please give it a read.

How do you find time to go backpacking? Part 1 (http://www.backpackingadventures.net/blog/params/post/836905/how-do-you-find-time-to-go-backpacking-part-1)

Rob

GoatHanger
04-18-2016, 16:53
Excellent read. Thanks for sharing the link. It's something that every single one of us can relate to, I think. I know I do!

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Lester C
04-18-2016, 20:32
Many thanks for the thread. I look forward to discussion. It helps to have an understanding spouse. My wife enjoys day hiking with me but she's not about to spend the night out there. Our balance - she doesn't complain when I take a week or two a year for a longer hike and I don't complain when she takes more civilized trips. Two years ago she went to Paris with her sister and our daughter and I enjoyed a walk from Winding Stair Gap to Fontana Dam. Occasionally I go on one of her trips and she sometimes takes a short walk with me. This May we plan to spend two days slack packing from Davenport Gap to Hotsprings, spending the night at Laughing Heart Lodge.
It takes more planning and compromise and the days are gone when I can take off on a whim. But I'm not complaining. I appreciate a good hike all the more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mystery Oneal
04-21-2016, 09:25
Hmm...I live in my hammock about 9 to 10 months out of the year. I can't handle houses anymore... I've gone feral...walls do my head in. I have a similar problem, though. How can you find time to work for money, when there's all this free bushland to explore and free bush tucker to eat?

sent from the bush (forest) using my solar powered smartphone

alifeoutdoors
04-21-2016, 09:57
Backpacking is the single most driving force in my life. I made the decisions that would compliment this desire along with the sacrifices. I found a partner who loved it as much as I do and most importantly had no desire to have kids. We choose to move closer to wilderness, live rural and sacrificed making a higher wage for our professions than we would find in a major or larger metro area. We built our own smaller house to keep our cost of living lower. I choose the property we now reside upon because it backed up to a major long distance trail giving us the opportunity for quick trips at a moments notice out or backdoor. I realize I'm an extreme, not many would put hiking and being right next to wilderness that high on their priority list. For us though, time to get out and enjoy life on the trail is our main goal in life right after a stable existence. We're not quite hardcore enough to drop everything to become nomads and make it a lifestyle like the more dedicated lifelong long trail thru hikers.

mayhemkb
04-21-2016, 14:41
Backpacking is the single most driving force in my life. I made the decisions that would compliment this desire along with the sacrifices. I found a partner who loved it as much as I do and most importantly had no desire to have kids. We choose to move closer to wilderness, live rural and sacrificed making a higher wage for our professions than we would find in a major or larger metro area. We built our own smaller house to keep our cost of living lower. I choose the property we now reside upon because it backed up to a major long distance trail giving us the opportunity for quick trips at a moments notice out or backdoor. I realize I'm an extreme, not many would put hiking and being right next to wilderness that high on their priority list. For us though, time to get out and enjoy life on the trail is our main goal in life right after a stable existence. We're not quite hardcore enough to drop everything to become nomads and make it a lifestyle like the more dedicated lifelong long trail thru hikers.

Your life is my goal/dream!

alifeoutdoors
04-21-2016, 14:59
Your life is my goal/dream!

Thanks, it was hard work but overall a very doable process for anyone willing. Though finding the property was pure luck and timing.

cmseeley
04-21-2016, 15:39
Great read!! Definitely touches home. Juggling the job, the family, taking care of the home...Sounds like a 25hr a day task. And then after all of that, still having enough time to get out in the woods when there are only 24 hrs in the day! Very difficult indeed. I can't wait for retirement :shades:

I am looking forward to part 2.

sidneyhornblower
04-21-2016, 17:50
Backpacking is the single most driving force in my life.

You are my hero.

12trysomething
04-25-2016, 05:12
Part 2 can be read here (http://www.backpackingadventures.net/blog/params/post/842454/)

alifeoutdoors
04-25-2016, 07:52
You are my hero.

Awww thanks, that gave me a big smile.

alifeoutdoors
04-25-2016, 07:55
Part 2 can be read here (http://www.backpackingadventures.net/blog/params/post/842454/)

You have an amazing partner, well done :)

OneClick
04-25-2016, 08:34
Certain times of the year can be tough, but there's always time to get out. I don't like to plan things out too far in advance because I have a tendency to "build them up" if there's too much waiting ahead of the trip. Summer is way too hot and buggy, which is fine since that is time for the lake, swimming, fishing, and everything else summer brings.

Fall is "blocked out" time for me...don't mess with my schedule :) I wish it lasted much longer since it's just the best time to get out. Spring is OK; winter is a whole new experience which I love.

As much as I love backpacking, I don't want it to be the focus of my life. Nothing lasts forever. Health, trail closings, boredom from doing the same places over and over...things can happen. Then were are you? You just never know. So I don't want to rewrite my life just to make that number 1 priority. That's for family and friends and securing the future. But for all the time in-between, getting out makes both sides more enjoyable and special.

I also like being somewhat removed from the woods...requiring a 3hr drive to get there. It makes it a "mini vacation" every time and always something to appreciate that much more.

12trysomething
04-25-2016, 09:04
You have an amazing partner, well done :)

Agreed, as do you (as I understand from reading your post). The word partner is perfect.

Xtrm tj
04-25-2016, 14:53
That was a good Part 1 Rob!! Outlan (Lance) is from my local area, I have had a chance to hang with him at a event our local outfitter put on this January called the Frozen Butt Hang.

I look forward to seeing more content on this, this is a very common problem I bet.

Keep up the Blog!!

12trysomething
04-25-2016, 15:39
That was a good Part 1 Rob!! Outlan (Lance) is from my local area, I have had a chance to hang with him at a event our local outfitter put on this January called the Frozen Butt Hang.

I look forward to seeing more content on this, this is a very common problem I bet.

Keep up the Blog!!

Thanks Jeff. Here is part 2 (http://www.backpackingadventures.net/blog/params/post/842454/Finding-time-part-2)

sidneyhornblower
04-25-2016, 17:14
I seldom send out blog links to people. I sent out that one. Excellently written. Kudos to you.

ccartertn
04-25-2016, 17:37
This hits home with me. As a father of 3 active kids, I WANT TO (not have to) go to all of their events. Surprisingly, I have found they want me to get out and enjoy my hobby. Maybe I am just getting on their nerves!
One thing I have been able to do is camp at some of their soccer tournaments. Quite a conversation piece when dad comes strolling out of the woods at game time.
So, Rob, I think you are spot on with scheduling. If I get it on the wife's calendar, all is good!

ccartertn

BellaHam
01-12-2018, 10:00
Hi,
Thank you for sharing such inspired writing. I`m so motivated by both parts of an article.
Because what you are writing about is so familiar for me, and I think we have similar thoughts on many things.
Will add this article to my bookmarks.

Regards,
Bella
developper at Essaylab (https://essaylab.com/top-writers)

Paddles Down
01-12-2018, 16:36
Thanks for sharing this!

Carrico
01-12-2018, 20:08
I am also married and a father of three, after our first kid me and my wife came to the conclusion that kids are going to drive us crazy;<) so we now give each other one day off a week. I usually save my days up for a couple weeks and then cash them in for an overnight camping trip. This has been working out good for us for over 7 years now and we're still sane, or at least as sane as can be expected.

OneClick
01-19-2018, 09:14
I am also married and a father of three, after our first kid me and my wife came to the conclusion that kids are going to drive us crazy;<) so we now give each other one day off a week. I usually save my days up for a couple weeks and then cash them in for an overnight camping trip. This has been working out good for us for over 7 years now and we're still sane, or at least as sane as can be expected.

That's so important. My wife will do "girls night" every other week or so and get away on her own other times to do whatever. I'll do my kayaking and backpacking. Being married doesn't mean giving up hobbies, losing your identity or being glued together 24/7.

johnbelly
04-17-2018, 13:07
Hi There Thanks for sharing Such type of informative article. I Found this article quite informative and helpful and the stuff you wrote in the article is quite familiar to me so that why I just loved both articles of you.
Keep sharing such type of stuff buddy

Tyroler Holzhacker
04-17-2018, 16:06
Great thread. Thanks for sharing. I can totally relate to the author of this link. Time outdoors is time well spent, and necessary to recharge your "batteries." Hammocks are just a new cool tool to enjoy the outdoors even more, especially as one's bones can no longer tolerate the relative discomfort of camping on the ground. I am a hammock convert for life, even though my wife still prefers tents. We both share a passion for the outdoors though, and that is the main thing.

m00ch
04-25-2018, 14:21
Great article.
I go out once a week every week. Sometimes it's only a hundred feet into the woods in my backyard. But I always pack my backpack like it is a 20 mile hike. I may set up at 9pm and be up at 4am for work but I slept in the woods.

MikekiM
04-27-2018, 06:54

^^^^ This is brilliant ^^^^

Like many of you, I'm married, for a few decades, and a father of one. When my daughter was young, I pushed most everything aside to be home. I think I missed less than five of her games/events in nearly fifteen years. Now, at fifteen years old, she is all over the place and doesn't sit still for a second. She needs shuttling everywhere.

Between work and family I don't claim much time for myself. One hour per day for the gym is non-negotiable, but I am fortunate to have my gym in my home so I am not far. Neither of my girls have any interest in the trail, and really don't 'get it'. My mistake.

I am regretting not implementing a one-day-a-week program like yours..

johnbelly
04-27-2018, 13:40
Your both parts where really helpful and well written is there any chance of you to write 3rd part? I'm quite Curious to read? :D

Moose
05-28-2018, 16:41
I have 4 kids ranging from 2 to 18. And all I have to do is take one or more of the kids with me and the wife is usually ok with it. We go camping as a family a couple of times a year also. They women sleep in a tent and me and a couple of my sons sleep in the hammocks. It’s not finding time to go camping it’s aquiring all the stuff needed to go. Hammocks, quilts, tarps, backpacks, and so in get expensive when you need 3-4 of everything. I just ordered a new Dream hammock and I will pass one of mine down to one of my sons. Shopping for a new set of quilts since he has takin a liking to mine.

deadeye
07-08-2021, 07:48
I realize I'm an extreme, not many would put hiking and being right next to wilderness that high on their priority list.

I made the choice long ago to continue to live in a very expensive state - because I wanted to live where other people wanted to vacation.

Rhody Seth
07-22-2021, 12:08
I made the choice long ago to continue to live in a very expensive state - because I wanted to live where other people wanted to vacation.

It's funny. I live in a quiet town five minutes from lovely beaches where many come to vacation. But I just wish I lived up in the mountains. The oceans are wasted on me! I guess it's all relative.