PDA

View Full Version : No Snivller vs Hudson River

lazy river road
12-08-2009, 10:53
SO JRB is haveing winter sales this whole week and right now the No Snivller is on sale. I keep going back and forth between the No Snivller and the Hudson River. I plan on pairing it with a 2/3 uq and will use the NS or the HR as my TQ. But I cant decide on which one to get. The only real difference I see in them is the No Sniv you can wear the HR you cant. Has any one used both or either of these items and could you please highlight the pro's and con's of both...id really appriciate it. The No Snivller is on sale right now and hopefully the HR will be on sale next week....I need to decide aahh :laugh: to many choices.....

lori
12-08-2009, 10:56
Aren't they the same quilt except for the head hole?

I have two HR quilts.... The pro is, they work as I expect them to, warm to the mid-20s. Cons? None for me. YMMV.

Shug
12-08-2009, 10:58
Got the HR ..... love it. Can wear it like a cape and run around like Bela Lagosi..... Sniv has the head hole .... be Clint Eastwood.
Seriously ... you cannot go wrong either way. Get one .....

G.L.P.
12-08-2009, 11:08
I have the Hudson River also and love it...great quilt
Like Shug said you can' go wrong with either

Rockdawg69
12-08-2009, 11:11
Also, the HR can be used as a UQ. Waiting on the next Christmas sale in a few days to get my HR.

CapitalBill
12-08-2009, 11:36
I love my No-Sniveller, but I don't think you can go wrong with either. Being able to wear the NS to keep warm in camp is what swung my decision.

BTW: the No-Sniveller works great as an UQ too.

lazy river road
12-08-2009, 12:34
if the only difference is you can wear the No snivller and not the HR it will be the HR for me. I dont trust my self wearing something like that. Ill get burn holes and rips all over it. I just wanted to make sure I wasent missing something. Now I just have to wait for the HR sale the susspense is killing me......thanks guys....:)

BurningCedar
12-08-2009, 13:27
if the only difference is you can wear the No snivller and not the HR it will be the HR for me. I dont trust my self wearing something like that. Ill get burn holes and rips all over it. I just wanted to make sure I wasent missing something. Now I just have to wait for the HR sale the susspense is killing me......thanks guys....:)

I have and love both of these quilts. In colder weather I use the Hudson River as my bottom quilt and the No Sniveler as the top quilt. I will admit to be extra cautious with the NS (especially around flames); but you can't imagine what a nice feeling it is on a cold morning to slip your already-warm top quilt over your head as you do your morning chores. Its simply wonderful :drool:

That said, I would personally never wear the NS on the trail. But if I could only have one quilt, then I'd pick the NS over the HR for the extra versatility it gives me. YMMV

lazy river road
12-08-2009, 13:40
Thanks Burningcedar give my already full brain more to think about :confused: (just jokeing great points)...had my mind made up and was going to get the HR but then you point out some really good points about the NS...I dont know what to do....the NS does have the versitility of wearing it but in praticality I dont really see my self wearing the NS...i have a day or two to decide keep the comments coming I love gear shopping....

Coldspring
12-08-2009, 13:50
The No-Sniveller is about an oz heavier, for the velcro around the headhole, I suppose. Are you an ultralighter? The headholes are my favorite thing about the JRB quilts. If you get cold at night, at least you'll have it to wear in the morning for warming up.

Scottybdiving
12-08-2009, 14:25
These two quilts are also on my list along with a couple others. Are they large enough to use on the ground if it became necessary?

Doctari
12-08-2009, 17:34
I have the No Sniv, currently using it as my UQ, If I ever get the $$$ I'm getting a Hudson river to use as my UQ & replace the Ray Way TQ with the No Sniv.
IMHO, you cant go wrong with either. :D Heck, get both and be happy!

BurningCedar
12-08-2009, 18:38
These two quilts are also on my list along with a couple others. Are they large enough to use on the ground if it became necessary?

I've used the HR on the ground. It was okay, but I did find a couple of cold spots during the night. However, I roll around a lot during the night; so I'm probably a worst-case test. In any case, I simply re-tucked the quilt under me and went back to sleep.

Given my druthers; I'd still stick with a sleeping back over any quilt when I (God forbid!!!!) go to ground. Of course, the simple solution is to never, ever sleep on the ground :D

Scottybdiving
12-08-2009, 21:25
I just ordered the Siera Sniveller. The extra width and the $50 off was too much to resist.

HappyCamper
12-08-2009, 21:34
I have the No Sniv, currently using it as my UQ, If I ever get the $$$ I'm getting a Hudson river to use as my UQ & replace the Ray Way TQ with the No Sniv.
IMHO, you cant go wrong with either. :D Heck, get both and be happy!

Doctari, wy not the Mt. Washington3 that's differential cut? Just curious. I used my No Sniv as an underquilt for 2 years and then was able to get the Mt. Wash. 4 on sale. I really like the differential cut for UQ. No Sniv now topquilt.

Sailor
12-08-2009, 22:41
I'll vouch for the HR. At 6'1"", I bought the long, and its great to have that extra distance for the toesies, and width is fine.

DGrav
12-08-2009, 22:53
I had the same choice to make and went with the HR because I have a Stealth and have never used the head hole.

When you place your order ask for a special edition with racing stripes. Not as cool as their two-tone 11x10 tarp, but still very stylish!