PDA

View Full Version : Winter Hammocking

Ewker
10-18-2006, 11:30
I read on WB that some guy had his basic winter setup for his hammock. He said it would hold him to about 15° to 20°. He also mentioned that the total weight was 6-7 lbs.

That seems awful heavy to me. Was he over estimating his weight or adding way to much stuff to his hammock. Yeah I know hard to say w/out knowing his setup.

I know my winter setup tent, 15° bag and pad weighs in at 4.75 lbs or 6.75 lbs if I use a -5° bag. It has been a while since I have used that though.

Was his weight normal for winter?

attroll
10-18-2006, 11:35
I don't know about anyone else, but I like to an a person that not sleep unless I am warm. If I was using my tent in 15° weather I would probably be carrying 30 lbs or more, but I am a sissy when it starts getting that cold.

Just Jeff
10-18-2006, 12:14
Staying at 5 lbs for a 20F hammock shouldn't be too hard. Here's a 30 F setup for just over 4. Add a torso pad or another quilt for underneath and it would easily be a 20F setup.

11 - Speer (w/o bugnet)
29 - PeaPod
16 - Top Blanket
09 - JRB 8x8 Tarp
02 - 2 stakes w/ cord
67 oz total - 4 lbs 3 oz - 1900 g (30 F)

Here are two homemade 0F setups:

Risk's setup:
23.4 - WarmHammock w/ 2" insulation, TravelPod, suspension
11.0 - Homemade Tarp
24.5 - Homemade Quilt
04.0 - Stakes/line*
63 oz total - 3 lbs 11 oz - 1786 g

Gardenville's Setup:
16.9 - Silk Speer w/ Bugnet
12.8 - Custom MacCat Tarp
01.8 - Stakes/line
23.0 - Homemade Down Air Mattress
23.0 - Homemade Down Top Quilt
77.5 oz total - 4 lbs 13 oz - 2197 g

Lots more comparisons here:
http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockGroundWeights.html

Peter_pan
10-18-2006, 16:20
I read on WB that some guy had his basic winter setup for his hammock. He said it would hold him to about 15° to 20°. He also mentioned that the total weight was 6-7 lbs.

That seems awful heavy to me. Was he over estimating his weight or adding way to much stuff to his hammock. Yeah I know hard to say w/out knowing his setup.

I know my winter setup tent, 15° bag and pad weighs in at 4.75 lbs or 6.75 lbs if I use a -5° bag. It has been a while since I have used that though.

Was his weight normal for winter?

I think that 6-7 for winter is pretty good considering that in addition to off setting the winter bag and full winter pad, it also off sets the tent and ground cloth by including the hammock and tarp.

Pan

Miguel
10-18-2006, 17:25
I don't know about anyone else, but I like to an a person that not sleep unless I am warm. If I was using my tent in 15° weather I would probably be carrying 30 lbs or more, but I am a sissy when it starts getting that cold.

Amen to that Brother!:o

Hangman
10-18-2006, 17:37
I think that 6-7 for winter is pretty good considering that in addition to off setting the winter bag and full winter pad, it also off sets the tent and ground cloth by including the hammock and tarp.

Pan Pan whats your set up for 15 to 25 weather?

Coffee
10-19-2006, 20:25
That was MedineMan. If I remember right he was using The JRB Mt Rogers, maybe an underquilt, and a n. arc top quilt. From what I gather from his posts and a couple PM questions I had on some of his gear, he buys and tests a lot of gear.

BTW first post, let the addiction start.

Just Jeff
10-19-2006, 22:07
Oh, I got a feeling you're already addicted, Nate. And Medicine Man has more high-end hammock gear than anyone else I've heard of!

Peter_pan
10-25-2006, 08:16
Pan whats your set up for 15 to 25 weather?

Hangman, et al,

My set up for 15-25 degrees is

HH ELR, 16 oz
JRB Tarp w/ lines and ti ul pegs, 11 oz
JRB Nest w SS, 21 oz
JRB No Sniveller, 20 oz
JRB Old Rag Mtn, 24 oz
( Removable back pad of pack
11x20 inches)
JRB compression sacks 2, 2 oz

Total 78 oz 4.88 lbs

Note , if I went out expecting 15-25, I'd be prepared to go 10 more below that.

Add JRB Weather Shield Top and Bottom at 9.4 oz each for a total for single digits as 97 oz or 6 pounds.

Camp clothes to sleep in; include, fleece lj & top, wool socks, fleece balaclava, JRB Down hood and JRB Down sleeves (worn as foot covers), and possum down gloves... All of these items are in the winter pack for camp use anyway.

Pan

Ewker
10-25-2006, 08:50
Pan, I notice you carry a lot of clothes to sleep in. Is this normal with winter hammocking? I know it doesn't apply to winter tenting.

Peter_pan
10-25-2006, 16:37
Pan, I notice you carry a lot of clothes to sleep in. Is this normal with winter hammocking? I know it doesn't apply to winter tenting.

Ewker,

I don't necessarily sleep in all the clothes items cited... the ljs and top are normal (they hold the first thermoclime)...hats are normal for quilt users.... all the other is "available"...

BTW, many tenters also sleep in ljs and wear caps.... their set up, ground cloth, tent, winter pads and 10 degree bags usually come to more weight...

FWIW, most ULers will carry lighter bags and supplement with clothes since they have them anyway.

Pan

Just Jeff
10-25-2006, 17:10
Ewker - I'd like to highlight what Pan said, "most ULers will carry lighter bags and supplement with clothes since they have them anyway." So sleeping in extra clothing IS normal in a certain style of winter camping. It's not a "hammock vs ground" thing, it's a "lightweight vs traditional" thing.

Hangman
10-25-2006, 17:26
Hangman, et al,

My set up for 15-25 degrees is

HH ELR, 16 oz
JRB Tarp w/ lines and ti ul pegs, 11 oz
JRB Nest w SS, 21 oz
JRB No Sniveller, 20 oz
JRB Old Rag Mtn, 24 oz
( Removable back pad of pack
11x20 inches)
JRB compression sacks 2, 2 oz

Total 78 oz 4.88 lbs

Note , if I went out expecting 15-25, I'd be prepared to go 10 more below that.

Add JRB Weather Shield Top and Bottom at 9.4 oz each for a total for single digits as 97 oz or 6 pounds.

Camp clothes to sleep in; include, fleece lj & top, wool socks, fleece balaclava, JRB Down hood and JRB Down sleeves (worn as foot covers), and possum down gloves... All of these items are in the winter pack for camp use anyway.

Pan Pan, did you use the nest and ns as 2 under quilts in that set up? i'm trying to get comfortable to 20-25 range. i have a nest and 20 degree western bag. i also have a wm blue pad that 24 inches wide. i have not used that in hammock yet. i was wondering about moisture if i use that.andbody else please feel free to leave suggestion

Peter_pan
10-25-2006, 20:58
Pan, did you use the nest and ns as 2 under quilts in that set up? i'm trying to get comfortable to 20-25 range. i have a nest and 20 degree western bag. i also have a wm blue pad that 24 inches wide. i have not used that in hammock yet. i was wondering about moisture if i use that.andbody else please feel free to leave suggestion

Hangman,

Yes, For temps below 30 it is time to double up....or use an ORM as the under quilt .... Personally I prefer to double the bottom w/Nest and No Sniveller quilts and use the Old Rag Mtn quilt on the top.... Easier to just have one quilt in the hammock... ( and Yes, I am aware, as a ULer that two ORMs would do the job for less weight... the four season set is more common and I like to use what others have, so that they can see the flexibility of the set by the varying seasons).

If I were to use a full size pad, esp one that is 24 inches wide, I'd use it inside the hammock and work the condensation and back sweat accumulation as it occurs (worse for some than others).... placing a pad of this size between the hammock and Nest will mostlikely result in air pockets or stress on the Nest causing thin spots.... Recommend using the WM as a top quilt, venting as necessary to avoid over heating.

Pan

Arkwater
10-25-2006, 21:20
What do you all think about using a few bungee cords to keep the pad against the bottom of the hammock so it does not weigh down the underquilt? I could attach to the underquilt suspension.

Hangman
10-25-2006, 21:50
What do you all think about using a few bungee cords to keep the pad against the bottom of the hammock so it does not weigh down the underquilt? I could attach to the underquilt suspension.

Thats interesting idea Arkwater let us no how it works!!

Hangman
10-26-2006, 18:15
I was wondering if anybody used the hennesy super shelter set up with the nest. weather shield and pad under hammock and nest under that. that would take the pad out of hammock for more comfort,and possibly cut down on moisture from sweating on pad. i think the weather shield and pad together weigh 13oz. any thoughts?