PDA

View Full Version : diy apex underquilt question

johne
05-27-2016, 07:49
i recently took my apex 5.0 underquilt and top quilts camping... it got down to about 37° F at night... i was wearing a long sleeve shirt and pajama pants and socks... in the night, i got cold on my shoulders and butt from underneath... i got up and put an sol emergency blanket (reflective blanket type thing) in between my hammock and underquilt and was much better (though woke up with some condensation in the am)... it seemed at the same time that i wasn't cold from above even though i only had the same amount of insulation (5.0 apex top quilt)... at that same time, however, i did throw on a fleece blanket just in case (i didn't want to get up again later)...

anyway, my question is: shouldn't the 5.0 apex do the trick at 37° F? do i maybe have the underquilt fitted to my hammock wrong? is there something else i can use that is very compact to augment my underquilt that is more breathable than the sol emergency blanket?

Tacblades
05-27-2016, 09:19
Ignoring the numbers and recomendations, but with my own testing a 6oz of apex is only any good to 45F for me. I prefer down.

johne
05-27-2016, 09:37
i have also noticed that these quilts aren't very compressible... i'm guessing down would be more so... down just seems so much more difficult to work with... i'm not that great at sewing

the thing that makes me wonder is why did the top quilt keep me warm but not the underquilt since both were the same material?

Eidson
05-27-2016, 09:56
Underquilts can be much more finicky in their adjustments. A top quilt, not so much. You'd also need to look at all of the factors involved in your time out in it...was it windy, humid and the rest of your setup. Were you tarped in? Did the tarp have doors to block wind? Some would recommend an underquilt protector to help retain heat. Although it seems like it is an easy question, you have to consider every factor. Try to get as much backyard testing in as possible so you can tweak and get a good idea on what you can safely push the limits to.

I'm a fairly average sleeper and I'm fine down to around 30° with my 5oz apex top quilt with underquilts rated at 20° or 30° and minimal clothing. I don't have a 5oz underquilt, but I'll sleep comfortably down to 50° in my 3/4 2.5oz apex uq.

Don't necessarily write off your uq being unable to perform at these temps without trying adjustments on it. Check out some of Shugs videos on uq rigging or look some some of the threads on the forum.

georgecarr
05-27-2016, 10:27
Sounds like a uq adjustment. Maybe adjust the end cinches to cut cold air creeping in the ends. It's best if you have a friend who knows what they are looking at to take a look at your setup with you in the quilt to see what it looks like.

Countrybois
05-27-2016, 10:45
I had a 5.0....for me 40° was at the lower end of its limit.

It is very typical to need less insulation on top than underneath.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

TonyK
05-29-2016, 09:38
I made a UQ with 3.6 Apex and put a layer of Insultex on the outside to work as a wind barrier. The coldest I've had it was 30deg but I was comfortable. I do sleep warm however and find that I can push the ratings on bags etc. without discomfort.

daneaustin3
05-29-2016, 18:24
My 5.0 quilts get me down to about 34*. I would say you are about the right range. Maybe some changes in clothing could get you lower.
My opinion is below 30 is down country.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

wolf8895
05-29-2016, 20:48
I accidentally took my 5.0 down to 23 wearing capilene 3 top and bottoms and only noticed a chill after I had to get out and take care of some "business". Up to that point i was warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

foxrun
05-31-2016, 15:15
I would agree that you are probably at the limits with the UQ. Were your shoulders covered? the butt cold is probably compression...