PDA

View Full Version : For those of you who have put off washing your quilts...

Clisbyclark
05-31-2016, 15:43
I recently bought a third-hand Flight Jacket that was a few years old and was not impressed with the down distribution and loft at all-it was a 40*. To be fair, I probably didn't let it loft enough after unpacking from shipping. So I decided to wash it using UGQ directions of 1/4 cup woolite in my front-loader Kenmore. It took less than 30 minutes to wash-which was definitely the easy part! Following the wash, I delicately transferred it to my Front-loader dryer and did a timed dry (80 mins was the max it would allow) on Air Dry setting with the 8-10 tennis balls recommended by UGQ. The tennis balls were LOUD! After every 80 minutes I removed the quilt and fluffed by hand-spilling tennis balls everywhere in the process. I believe it took me 4 sessions, but the quilt did dry and looked AMAZING!!! I already put it in the gear closet or else I would take pics. Loft was spectacular and it was easy to get the down distributed evenly. This would be a bigger hassle if I had to go to a laundrymat, but I won't hesitated to wash any of my other quilts as soon as they seem like they need it.

ironfish77
05-31-2016, 16:33
Good for you! Amazing what a little soap and water will do.

Granted, drying is a PITA, no denying that fact. I always was anything I buy, especially if I am not the first owner. I have been amazed by how wonderful down really is when it is clean.

Montexan
08-12-2016, 19:12
It makes a huge difference. My quilt was uber gwoss after its first season which included several trips with sustained long and sweaty days. If you don't want to do it yourself, I was pretty happy with Rainy Pass.