PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Guide Recommendation for NM

laxdad
06-13-2016, 08:54
I am taking the family to New Mexico and Arizona for a camping vacation mid July. We have the hammocks ready to go. My son and I are set, but we are a little concerned about the Dutchess!! We have assured her she will be fine. Anyway, I need a good fly fishing guide for a 1 day wading trip for the three of us. I have looked on line but prefer some personal recommendations if you have them. Not particular about where in New Mexico as we are in the planning stage and could make most area work. Thanks for your help!!!

laxdad
06-15-2016, 10:49
I'm guessing New Mexico isn't good for fly fishing then. Looks like we will have a small change of plans. Anyone know of someone n Arizona?

pgibson
06-15-2016, 12:20
Don't know a lot about NM and only been down to fish AZ a couple times. Me and a bud have been looking at NM though and want to make the trip down but I don't think it's going to work out this year. These guys have been killing it with videos from all over NM and at one point they had a thing that said to contact them for guide service...but I don't see that on their site right now. http://www.wtrr.net/wtrr.html

There also looks like there is only a few fly shops around the state and they all list guide services. A google search should put you into some contact info for all of the options.

In AZ we have hunted for good trout water a few times and not come up with much. The guys I know down there are very tight lipped about where the streams are and whats in them. Guys I have know for several years won't openly tell me diddly. Sorry don't know any guides in that area.

Redfish
06-15-2016, 15:10
Look in the Red River and Eagle Nest area. There are shops in that area.

laxdad
06-16-2016, 07:40
Thanks for checking.

NMTrekker
06-18-2016, 19:52
I have fly fished many places in northern NM. The San Juan, of course, is world famous. We have trout all over the forests north of Santa Fe. Find NM Game and Fish website for all kinds of information. Or ask me.

FJRpilot
06-19-2016, 10:30
Interesting reading...

http://www.nmmagazine.com/article/?aid=96699#.V2a6K6pOKK0

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AZsteelman
08-08-2016, 19:28
Flyfishing on the San Juan river is pretty good. If you have a choice, I would say go to lees ferry in Arizona. I go there several times a year, and it is amazing. If you're interested, shoot me a message and I will hook you up with the guide that I use.

FJRpilot
08-08-2016, 20:39
Flyfishing on the San Juan river is pretty good. If you have a choice, I would say go to lees ferry in Arizona. I go there several times a year, and it is amazing. If you're interested, shoot me a message and I will hook you up with the guide that I use.

Is there a best time of the year?

AZsteelman
08-08-2016, 22:29
Is there a best time of the year?

If you're talking about for Lee's Ferry, spring summer and fall are the only times I've gone. Not into winter cold fishing yet. I love going in the summer. Just went July 8, going again this fall. The only guide i use is Natalie - she's so patient and amazingly good!

FJRpilot
08-09-2016, 11:39
Thanks AZsteelman. If you could PM me contact info for Your guide, that would be great. So do they support alternate fly fishing methods like Tenkara? Just bought 2 outfits (one for the wife and me) and I'd love to try them out. If not, NP. I still have our conventional setups we could use.

AZsteelman
08-09-2016, 12:34
Thanks AZsteelman. If you could PM me contact info for Your guide, that would be great. So do they support alternate fly fishing methods like Tenkara? Just bought 2 outfits (one for the wife and me) and I'd love to try them out. If not, NP. I still have our conventional setups we could use.

PM sent

FJRpilot
08-09-2016, 15:01
Thank you sir!