PDA

View Full Version : ROBIC 7D ULTRALIGHT now available

ripstopbytheroll
06-14-2016, 15:23
"If you thought 10D was sweet, wait til you get a load of this...."

In line with our continued mission to create the best fabrics on earth for the outdoor community, we're proud to announce 0.74 oz ROBIC 7D (https://ripstopbytheroll.com/products/0-75-oz-robic-7d-ripstop-nylon) - the lightest fabric in our exclusive line of ROBIC nylon and one of the ONLY 7 Denier fabrics on the market today.

-> https://ripstopbytheroll.com/products/0-75-oz-robic-7d-ripstop-nylon

This fabric would actually be even lighter than our ultralight Membrane 10 taffeta (https://ripstopbytheroll.com/products/0-66-oz-membrane-10-taffeta-nylon-1), but we wanted to add something extra special. For the 7D ROBIC, we're using a specially formulated backside coating to achieve much higher water resistance (> 1000 mm HH) and... here's the kicker... still maintain good breathability with an MVTR (this is the hydrostatic head equivalent for breathability) of > 7000 g/m2/24 hr.

Combined with the durability of ROBIC and a downproof finish, you get a material that's excellent for ultralight applications like:

- Quilt shells
- Jackets
- Rain mittens
- Hammock socks

I'm sure there are more that I'm not thinking of too. Anything where you desire a breathable fabric with water resistance approaching that of a tarp material :).

It's pricier, but once you get some in your hands you'll know why. Fabric is what we do, and this is by FAR the best 7D fabric we've tested.

If you want truth in marketing, here it is - this material has never been done before and we want to get some out into the community. Seriously, it's that good.

So, I'm setting the price at 20% off ($12.75 /yd) through the end of this week. After that, the regular price will be $15.95 /yd, which believe me is still very reasonable.

That's it for now. Shave Weight. Shed Water. Keep Breathing. (sweet tag line yeah? :cool:)

Thanks and have a great day!

CooOkieCOOon
06-14-2016, 15:26
Oh snap.....

Caminante
06-15-2016, 15:18
Just noticed that during my OCD daily flyby of the site - looks like it's time for Operation Down Beanie & Socks.

BigE94
06-15-2016, 15:31
So i'm not a fabric guru, I am however a huge fan of the PU4000. How does the PU4000 and this 7D compare? Is it suitable for tarps?

Looking at the OP I don't see tarps on the list. May have just answered my own question.

Gqgeek81
06-15-2016, 23:26
I want a Packa in this.

mrcheviot
06-16-2016, 08:19
Breathable enough for a hammock sock? Not sure how "> 7000 g/m2/24 hr" compares to other fabrics..

Caminante
06-16-2016, 09:14
So i'm not a fabric guru, I am however a huge fan of the PU4000. How does the PU4000 and this 7D compare? Is it suitable for tarps?

Looking at the OP I don't see tarps on the list. May have just answered my own question.

I think this is more of a "gore-tex-esque" fabric. Not as waterproof as non-breathable, but much more comfortable for applications where breathability is at a premium such as rain gear. Might make an interesting zippered cover for winter.

Gqgeek81
06-16-2016, 10:00
Breathable enough for a hammock sock? Not sure how "> 7000 g/m2/24 hr" compares to other fabrics..

Yea that was my thought. Its great there's now an objective test but I need perspective.
How does a Frogg Toggs jacket compare? Traditional Goretex? Event? Tyvek?

ripstopbytheroll
06-16-2016, 10:45

This could be used for a UL tarp, but it will have a lot of stretch when wet and most likely mist a bit in hard rain. The stretch would be more problematic than the potential for misting. To summarize, it would probably work OK, but you want to know those two tradeoffs going in.

PYOT - Is that a thing?

ripstopbytheroll
06-16-2016, 11:03
Yea that was my thought. Its great there's now an objective test but I need perspective.
How does a Frogg Toggs jacket compare? Traditional Goretex? Event? Tyvek?

The MVTR (breathability) of rain gear can vary a lot depending on the type of laminate used (eVent, PU, etc) plus a number of other factors, but in general you'll see numbers anywhere from 10,000 (PU and other generics) all the way up to 50,000 (eVent, etc).

The thing to keep in mind is that even the lightest of those fabrics are up around 2 oz/sq yd. This is 0.74 oz/sq yd. So yes this is a bit less breathable, but at ~1/3 the weight. Like everything it's a tradeoff.

If it helps, I had Zpacks make a custom jacket (the one I'm wearing in my profile pic) out of another product we're developing that was spec'd at 5000 MVTR. On a recent trip to Ecuador, I hiked in it for several days through the mountains and one day in the Amazon. Conditions varied - sun, rain, high humidity, etc and I thought the breathability was adequate. By no means the absolute best, but I wasn't uncomfortable.

I've spent the last 6 months learning as much as humanly possible about WPB and laminate fabrics. Now it's time to make some :cool:

Gqgeek81
06-16-2016, 11:51
Thanks for trying to give some perspective.
Maybe I want Packa to use this other fabric... :boggle:

I'm still hoping someone (maybe one of the magazines) does some comparisons. That's kind of the whole point of having an objective test so we can compare fabric with something other than marketing terms. Sure that number won't mean everything. Something like pit zips could make a sub par fabric perform better than a more advanced fabric used in a jacket without the pit zips.

It would be interesting to have some baseline numbers though. I think for rain gear, most people start off with either frogg toggs and/or a Marmot Precip jacket. Those might be great comparisons.

If this robic wasn't coated, I'm curous what the weight limit for a hammock would be and the weight of the resulting hammock.