PDA

View Full Version : keeping the peapod dry

stevebo
12-14-2009, 17:37
Is it a problem keeping the down insulated peapod dry on a long trip in rain/fog etc? Any suggestions/tricks?:confused:

joggerjohn
12-14-2009, 17:48
I have used a 1.7 ripstop hammock sock to keep myself dry from fog and mist. There is some condensation inside the hammock sock if you do not ventilate it properly.

joggerjohn
12-14-2009, 17:56
I also hang a sponge over my head in the hammock sock to absorb all the condensation which comes out of my mouth when I breath. It seems to work.

MacEntyre
12-14-2009, 21:31
If you sleep inside the PeaPod, like I do, then you should consider opening a small vent hole in the velcro above your chest, and another small one as far up above your head as you can reach. That will make for a chimney, which will carry out your moisture laden breath.

- MacEntyre

Wentworth
12-17-2009, 05:22
I used the peapod 6 nights straight in constant rainy weather. Even when I went to bed damp, i woke up dry. The moisure from rain and mist didn't seem to decrease the loft either. Having said that, the loft is crazy to begin with.
Use a nice big tarp and I'm sure it'll be fine. And obviously be fastidious when packing it into a dry bag that it never touches the ground.

Hawk-eye
12-17-2009, 06:03
I also hang a sponge over my head in the hammock sock to absorb all the condensation which comes out of my mouth when I breath. It seems to work.

Sounds like a cartoon ... Spongehead PeaBob ;)

MacEntyre
12-17-2009, 07:27
I used the peapod 6 nights straight in constant rainy weather. Even when I went to bed damp, i woke up dry.
The blowing rain and condensing fog that covered my PeaPod with water droplets never penetrated the 1.1 oz ripstop nylon much to speak of. The warmth from my body dried the PeaPod overnight without compromising my comfort.

BTW, Wisenber, Speer says, "Colors - Outer Shell--Navy Blue.....Inner Shell--Kelly Green" so I did not have it inside out after all!

- MacEntyre

BillyBob58
12-17-2009, 09:19
The blowing rain and condensing fog that covered my PeaPod with water droplets never penetrated the 1.1 oz ripstop nylon much to speak of. The warmth from my body dried the PeaPod overnight without compromising my comfort................

- MacEntyre

This has been my experience so far. I was surprised when I found out that it is not even DWR, I surely thought it was based on performance.

I'm pretty sure that the biggest problem is packing up wet, so a means of drying it off before packing should be available, especially on longer trips. Shaking water/frost off, or using a pack towel, something. Though I have lost no loft so far on trips as long as a week with no "drying off" used. Then again, though it was wet outside the tarp, I never noticed any moisture on the shell, but I may well have that problem on another trip.

joggerjohn
12-17-2009, 23:15
I now have two Pea Pods (both I bought on discount ) and every time moisture condenses on their shells it evaporates if I do not wipe it off with a towel. I always use a hammock sock and that sometimes increases the possibility of condensation if you do not hang a sponge over your head to absorb the moisture of ones breath or vent the sock to let air flow through and cool you.