PDA

View Full Version : From the Couch to the Trail

johnspenn
07-04-2016, 22:15
One Couple's Journey to Better Companionship, Fitness and Appreciation of Nature

Hey All,

My wife and I have started a new blog! (https://couch2trail.wordpress.com/)

We have published our first articles. We hope some of you will come along with us on our journey!

MacCherokee
07-04-2016, 22:43
Thank you! I hope I can convince my wife to read that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

STinGa
07-05-2016, 01:12
Nice blog ... I like the He said / She said format. Keep them coming.

STinGa

georgecarr
07-05-2016, 06:55
Nice! I've got it bookmarked.

coachhahn
07-05-2016, 07:01
Very cool. Good for you guys!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Geekeneer
07-05-2016, 07:32
Good read. Keep it coming.

JmBoh
07-05-2016, 07:52
:thumbup: fantastic!! I can completely relate. Kinda been going through the same thing the past couple years. Looking forward to following your adventures!!

Philsweep
07-05-2016, 09:22
Good job. Just keep moving.

ccolclou
07-05-2016, 09:42
Very cool! I really, really enjoy the perspective from both sides. One thing I want to know thought - what were Cathy's thoughts and response when you first brought up buying the bikes?

Turk3
07-05-2016, 09:53
Way to go ...looking forward to the journey with you guys.

Turk3

johnspenn
07-05-2016, 14:25
Thank you! I hope I can convince my wife to read that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope so too! Tell her it's from a woman's point of view, maybe that'll help?

Nice blog ... I like the He said / She said format. Keep them coming.

STinGa

Thanks STinGa, we hope to!

Nice! I've got it bookmarked.

Thanks George, I enjoy your blog as well!

Very cool. Good for you guys!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Thank you coachhahn!

Good read. Keep it coming.

Thanks Geekeneer. Cool name! We plan to!

:thumbup: fantastic!! I can completely relate. Kinda been going through the same thing the past couple years. Looking forward to following your adventures!!

That's cool JmBoh. I knew we weren't the only ones. We're looking forward to the journey as well!

Good job. Just keep moving.

Yes sir, we plan to. Thanks Philsweep!

Very cool! I really, really enjoy the perspective from both sides. One thing I want to know thought - what were Cathy's thoughts and response when you first brought up buying the bikes?

She was for it from the beginning. My wife is very supportive when I have good ideas, and lets me know when my ideas aren't so great or they need a little refinement. Thanks for reading!

Way to go ...looking forward to the journey with you guys.

Turk3

Thanks Turk3, we are as well!

TrailSlug
07-05-2016, 14:59
I knew when I've been watching your videos that there was something special about you and your wife's hikes. Yours and her perspectives were always bright and sunny and it was and is a pleasure watching these videos. Good job by you guys. This could be your mission in life and so far I believe you guys have gotten a great start and doing an excellent job. Now keep it up and and thanks for sharing your videos and your message.

johnspenn
07-05-2016, 15:46
I knew when I've been watching your videos that there was something special about you and your wife's hikes. Yours and her perspectives were always bright and sunny and it was and is a pleasure watching these videos. Good job by you guys. This could be your mission in life and so far I believe you guys have gotten a great start and doing an excellent job. Now keep it up and and thanks for sharing your videos and your message.

Thank you TrailSlug. That really does mean alot to both of us. We're glad you've enjoyed our videos so far and hope you keep enjoying them and our blog too!

TrailSlug
07-05-2016, 15:52
Thank you TrailSlug. That really does mean alot to both of us. We're glad you've enjoyed our videos so far and hope you keep enjoying them and our blog too! You're welcome. I motivated to get back our in this hot weather as I'm a fall/winter/spring hiker but you guys have motivated me. Hopefully I can run into you guys one day on the trail.

johnspenn
07-05-2016, 18:52
You're welcome. I motivated to get back our in this hot weather as I'm a fall/winter/spring hiker but you guys have motivated me. Hopefully I can run into you guys one day on the trail.

That would be very cool. We actually have a video I need to post talking about the heat and other issues. You'll enjoy it :)

dirtwheels
07-05-2016, 18:57
Thanks, I like the principle behind your adventure and enjoyed the video I watched! Keep them rolling.

johnspenn
07-05-2016, 19:00
Thanks, I like the principle behind your adventure and enjoyed the video I watched! Keep them rolling.

Thanks dirtwheels! Will do!

Scarecrow
07-05-2016, 22:13
Great read, and always glad to see folks finding their way "from the couch to the trail". Good stuff, and keep it up!

Early last year, I found myself and others in a relative situation which is what led to the creation of my group, Trekking Recovery. Though we (as a group) haven't been able to get our schedules in sync for all the trips we'd like to take, the ones we have taken have been wonderful in many of the same ways you talk about in your blog. Life's always better with time spent exploring. Not just exploring nature, but exploring our own selves as well. There's treasures to be found out there if one seeks them.

Carry on, good sir!

HippieChick
07-05-2016, 23:10
Nice blog! Echoes some of what I have been experiencing myself this past year. I've caught the hiking and DIY bugs and have no plans to go back to where I was physically or emotionally. Having lost 45 pounds, with more to go, I am much happier and stronger. I am so much more capable than I thought I was!

You are very lucky to have a life partner who shares your passions. I do most of my hiking solo (but do enjoy the solitude). It would be nice to have a hiking partner occasionally.

johnspenn
07-06-2016, 15:20
Great read, and always glad to see folks finding their way "from the couch to the trail". Good stuff, and keep it up!

Early last year, I found myself and others in a relative situation which is what led to the creation of my group, Trekking Recovery. Though we (as a group) haven't been able to get our schedules in sync for all the trips we'd like to take, the ones we have taken have been wonderful in many of the same ways you talk about in your blog. Life's always better with time spent exploring. Not just exploring nature, but exploring our own selves as well. There's treasures to be found out there if one seeks them.

Carry on, good sir!

Yessir, treasures without and within. Thanks Scarecrow and you as well!

Nice blog! Echoes some of what I have been experiencing myself this past year. I've caught the hiking and DIY bugs and have no plans to go back to where I was physically or emotionally. Having lost 45 pounds, with more to go, I am much happier and stronger. I am so much more capable than I thought I was!

You are very lucky to have a life partner who shares your passions. I do most of my hiking solo (but do enjoy the solitude). It would be nice to have a hiking partner occasionally.

You and my wife's experience sound very similar. She is also finding out that she's much more capable than she thought she was. It's fun to watch.

We feel very blessed that we have this shared passion. Hope you can find a compatible hiking partner that you can share your experiences with soon! Thanks HippieChick!

DelayedNeutron
07-06-2016, 15:49
Very cool idea. The wife and I are also having a bit of a "get out there and just do something" renaissance. I've not yet convinced her to get a hammock yet, or spend a night in the backcountry, but we're working on it. She loves a good day hike though.

I'll be following with interest. You're on my feedly list.

Thanks!

danah.
07-06-2016, 17:03
Excellent write up! This is a great and inspiring thing you are doing, a fine example to us all.
Thanks!
D

johnspenn
07-07-2016, 14:21
Very cool idea. The wife and I are also having a bit of a "get out there and just do something" renaissance. I've not yet convinced her to get a hammock yet, or spend a night in the backcountry, but we're working on it. She loves a good day hike though.

I'll be following with interest. You're on my feedly list.

Thanks!

Keep working on her. My wife was slow to buy in to staying out overnight, but I didn't rush it and just sort of let it become the next logical step in our journey. She loves it now! Thanks for reading and following our journey.

Excellent write up! This is a great and inspiring thing you are doing, a fine example to us all.
Thanks!
D

Thank you so much for the compliments danah. It means alot to us both, and encourages us to keep it going.

eheinzee
07-07-2016, 14:42
Excellent blog and good for you both this is awesome. Im going to have my wife read this in hope that maybe she will backpack with me.

Fancy Ramen
07-07-2016, 17:47
I agree with liking the format. Good work.

Sent from my 0PAJ5 using Tapatalk

johnspenn
07-09-2016, 15:17
Excellent blog and good for you both this is awesome. Im going to have my wife read this in hope that maybe she will backpack with me.

Thanks eheinzee. I hope your wife enjoys the blog!

I agree with liking the format. Good work.

Sent from my 0PAJ5 using Tapatalk

Thank you Fancy Ramen!

Slugger
07-09-2016, 15:27
Bookmarked!!!

sidneyhornblower
07-10-2016, 05:20
I'm sending this link to my wife in hopes that Cathy's point of view will be the prod she needs to get back out with me (that and some new gear I'm contemplating).

johnspenn
07-10-2016, 13:33
Bookmarked!!!

Thank you!!

johnspenn
07-10-2016, 13:34
I'm sending this link to my wife in hopes that Cathy's point of view will be the prod she needs to get back out with me (that and some new gear I'm contemplating).

I hope she likes the blog and is encouraged to get out more by it!

I have enjoyed watching your trip videos. Thanks Sidney!

johnspenn
07-12-2016, 17:56

johnspenn
07-17-2016, 20:17
Hello all,

We now have a FaceBook page:

https://www.facebook.com/fromCouch2Trail/

So if you know someone who's not on the forums but might be interested in following our blog on The FaceBook please share it with them.

Thanks!

BigSky!
07-21-2016, 08:00
Nicely done blog. It should be an inspiration to others.

johnspenn
07-21-2016, 17:20
Nicely done blog. It should be an inspiration to others.

Thanks BigSky! We certainly hope so! We've posted new trip reports to the blog and a new video (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/127557-VIDEO-Three-Days-and-Two-Nights-on-the-AT-Three-Forks-to-Neel-Gap), if you get a moment, enjoy!

2nd Breakfast
07-25-2016, 08:54
That is such great reading. Thanks for sharing this! I really enjoy reading the two prespectives

johnspenn
07-25-2016, 19:34
That is such great reading. Thanks for sharing this! I really enjoy reading the two prespectives

Thank you 2nd Breakfast! I love that scene in LOR where Pippin is asking Aragorn about second breakfast!