PDA

View Full Version : Attaching bug net directly to tarp

NotJustGingerly
07-23-2016, 09:03
Help me out guys... Now that I have some things figured out and want to DIY a hammock setup, the hubby wants me to change things and attach the bug net directly to the rainfly/tarp. I think it's an idea to explore because I haven't seen anything like this so far, but the more I think about it, the more I think it isn't going to work. We need to be able to adjust the tarp according to the hang, conditions, etc, and considering the adjustments alone makes figuring out how to attach the netting a nightmare. It would probably need twice as much netting as well. I see many wasted hours and yards of wasted tarp material and bug netting in my future.

So, has anyone considered this?

lubbockhammockguy
07-23-2016, 09:17
I have considered this, but haven't done it yet. I am waiting to do it when I create my next tarp. I plan on having about 2 foot of netting attached to the bottom of the tarp. This would allow me to hand the tarp all the way against the ground or off the ground 1.5 feet for airflow during the summer.

I personally like the idea of being fully protected and not being stuck in my hammock away from the flying blood suckers aka. Mosquitos.

GadgetUK437
07-23-2016, 09:26
Sgt Rock's Bughut might give you a few ideas,
https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/42670-Anyone-play-around-with-making-a-Bug-Hut?highlight=bughut

zukiguy
07-23-2016, 09:33
If you're not going to have to carry it (car camping only) I can see where this might be an option. As you mentioned though, you're looking at many times as much netting to cover a much bigger area. You'll just have to leave the edges really long so they reach all the way to the ground. I think what you'll end up with is a floorless puptent with a roof of tarp and the walls/doors of netting. I'm guessing you'll want some kind of edging at the very bottom other than net. The net tends to stick to the forest duff like glue. Maybe add some loops to put a few stakes at the corners to keep them from blowing around. I say this project is doable but not terribly practical.

Is this something you're planning to hang just one hammock under or is this some kind of couples retreat? I've had a similar thought about modifying a tent to do the same thing. My kids and I stay in a Kelty 6-person. This one is too small for the purpose but a friend is about to retire a huge multi-room beast. It might be worth cutting it down into so kind of screen house and adding some ports for the suspension.

HammockCanoe
07-23-2016, 09:34
Help me out guys... Now that I have some things figured out and want to DIY a hammock setup, the hubby wants me to change things and attach the bug net directly to the rainfly/tarp. I think it's an idea to explore because I haven't seen anything like this so far, but the more I think about it, the more I think it isn't going to work. We need to be able to adjust the tarp according to the hang, conditions, etc, and considering the adjustments alone makes figuring out how to attach the netting a nightmare. It would probably need twice as much netting as well. I see many wasted hours and yards of wasted tarp material and bug netting in my future.

So, has anyone considered this?

Do a search for Eureka VCS 13 and Nemo Bugout series for ideas.

http://www.nemoequipment.com/shop/tents/?type=screenRooms
http://theultimatehang.com/2013/05/n...t-9x9-shelter/

https://youtu.be/Xd_iVqhSabE

Tacblades
07-23-2016, 09:41
I have often thought about it but when i have worked it all out to need loads of bug netting for coverage and it just adds a lot of weight.

GreatBigDave
07-23-2016, 10:07
Have you seen the Sierra Madre Research Nube? It has bugnet hanging under and attached to the tarp. Here's a link to a discussion here on HF: https://hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/124575-Nube/page2?highlight=Nube

Beeip
07-23-2016, 10:24
The net tends to stick to the forest duff like glue.

In my opinion, this would be the be the worst part! The "walls of no-see-um" tent-style tarp would be cool, except picking out pine needles the entire trip.

NotJustGingerly
07-23-2016, 10:54
Sgt. Rock's bug hut concept looks cool, but needs to be set up on somewhat level ground and the use of a ground cover to avoid damage from standing on the bug net to get at the very inconveniently zipper access at one end. The netting is not attached to the tarp.
The Hammock Bliss sky tent is definitely in the right direction, but looks like a mathematical & sewing nightmare to recreate, thus reasoning why they get $150.

jaywxsl
07-23-2016, 11:28
I can see it. Kinda like how the eno guardian is. I'm thinking you can sew it into the ridge line seam and let it hang down under the hammock. Also you can come down a foot on both sides of the ridge line and sew a 1 inch pleat into the tarp and attach the bug net to those tabs and then sew the bug net along the hemmed edge. If the hammock is going to be hung the same distance from the tarp then add about a 6 inch strip velcro to where the suspension would pass through. I do not know how well that would would just something I can imagine.

Grapenut
07-23-2016, 14:04
There's more than one way to skin a cat. I made a contraption designed to enhance the Asym tarp experience but could be used with any tarp. Came in at 10 ounces...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eMgWfQZPBjI

Red Wing
07-23-2016, 15:22
Have you seen the Sierra Madre Research Nube? It has bugnet hanging under and attached to the tarp. Here's a link to a discussion here on HF: https://hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/124575-Nube/page2?highlight=Nube

This is what i was thinking. Actually looks highly functional evem ifd not the prettiest thing.

NotJustGingerly
07-23-2016, 17:43
I'm gonna smack whoever thinks that nube thing can be recreated by the intermediate sewer. $300 for the thing, does that come with turn down service and a mint on your pillow?

Very nice Grapenut, I can see where the lower water proof part would help from water spashup if it started raining buckets and the tarp was pitched high.

Zukiguy I am setting us up to island camp at the nearby lake, so I don't want the bugnet too heavy and bulky even if we do car camp (it would be jeep camp for us). No kids so two under one tarp is possible, I am planning on making two simple square tarps in case we need it (or was until the hubby started thinking up a bugnet princess palace). Yes it would be a couples retreat but we have a few friends that we would invite (adults only!)

jadekayak
07-24-2016, 01:17
I would have to say that this is not a good idea.

You may have good weather and lots of bugs.

If you like to watch the stars you are unable to.

If you connect to the hammock or have a stand alone bugnet you can still enjoy the environment.

I have also noticed a lack of bugs when it rains.

HammockCanoe
07-24-2016, 09:06
My wife and I hang on canoe trips only, so weight is not so much an issue as for backpackers. We used the Eureka VCS 13 but found that it wasn't ideal.

My hammocks have integrated bug nets and my wife use a Fronkey style bug net. When the bugs are insane, we need a bug shelter to change clothes and wash-up, so we made one using no-see-um. It's just large enough for one person and is very light. It's been working really well for us. The one we made is similar to this one from REI, but with a smaller foot print and higher peak.

https://www.rei.com/media/0f9b7ba6-537c-4b34-b96d-7395a689e9f6

WalksIn2Trees
07-24-2016, 17:18
I considered something like this, but my thought was, I'd really only need it in the area in front of the hammock where I get in and out of it. so instead of sewing it to your tarp, consider a fronkey style net, that hangs from a ridgeline. on one side it's like normal and hangs down next to your hammock, but on the side you get in your hammock from, it extends as a net ceiling over from the ridgeline to inner-loops at the side-pulls... or made to work with a pole mod ... creating basically an enclosed netting wedge with a zipper up the middle of one side that you can stand in and get changed without being eaten alive. It would still be more material, but much less than going around the whole tarp, plus not permanantly attached to the tarp. I would use a strip of webbing around the base of it too to act as a weight, keeping the bottom edge on the ground, and not flapping around in the breeze letting bugs in.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

elutfall
07-24-2016, 18:49
I'm with jadekayak. I only have my tarp up if it's going to rain. Otherwise, I want to enjoy the view. A separate bug net and tarp lets me determine my setup based on conditions.

Chesapeake
07-25-2016, 08:40
134062 add ports for suspension and your ready to hang. I think we got this at Kmart a few years ago.I was thinking of do the same thing as we have spiders really bad BC we live on the water

NotJustGingerly
07-25-2016, 09:38
Thank you everyone who has responded! It really helps to hear what others think. After reading your input, much thought (my brain hurts) and a serious discussion of concerns, needs, and wants with the hubby, in reality he wants a bug net with no zipper due to some bad tent incidents he has had trying to get out in the middle of the night. I am going to do a cocoon style with a bungee cord opening at the bottom, he really liked the pre-made ones and I know I can pull one off. I can also attach something glow in the dark so he can find the opening too.

It has been refreshing for me to think about how I'm going to sleep in the woods and eliminate the things I hate about tents. I also pointed out to him my goals of making our gear: to make what we need cheaper than buying it already made, and not to reinvent the wheel. I can make everything for less than half of what it costs to buy it pre-made and with better materials, and put the cost savings towards other gear (like a rechargeable lightweight flashlight for the hubby, so he can see what he's doing in the dark).