PDA

View Full Version : TX > Fairfield Lake State Park>November 10-13 - 2016 8th Annual Texas Fall Group

UncleMJM
08-10-2016, 18:51
It’s HOT and I’m seeing weather forecasts for more triple digit temps! The Texas Butt Bake Hang is history and I’m ready for some cool weather. I’m ready for fall!

It’s time to start talking about November! Yep, let's get the Annual Texas Fall Group Hang planning underway!

If you don’t have the date saved yet, mark November 10-13, 2016 on your calendar for the Lone Star State’s Annual fall hammock infestation of the trees at Fairfield Lake State Park.

It’s a great time to renew friendships, make new ones, and play with gear, so don’t miss out.

There has been a large increase in forum membership over the past year, (9,000 members more than this same time last year as of this posting), and a good number of them are Texas folks, (or friendly neighbors of The Republic), and all are welcome.

What started with a handful of folks from South/Central Texas in early 2009 has well surpassed the century mark with past participants from Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arizona, Florida, Ohio, North Carolina, Michigan, and places forgotten or unknown.

In past years this planning thread has become a multipage read with some of the details lost in the conversations. To keep the conversations going yet simplify the scrolling, the FAQs (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pwIOJ8XsvmnBfQSJpiWHhsMtkUQ3ilMhh_tFLcCAFLw/edit?usp=sharing) and all the details needed are on a Google Doc (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pwIOJ8XsvmnBfQSJpiWHhsMtkUQ3ilMhh_tFLcCAFLw/edit?usp=sharing) for everyone’s review.

So that we can all be on the same page, if you haven’t been to this event before, or if you’ve been to every one since we started, take a few minutes to read the FAQs (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pwIOJ8XsvmnBfQSJpiWHhsMtkUQ3ilMhh_tFLcCAFLw/edit?usp=sharing).

Frequently Asked Questions
Please check here before posting a question (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pwIOJ8XsvmnBfQSJpiWHhsMtkUQ3ilMhh_tFLcCAFLw/edit?usp=sharing)as it may already have been addressed.

So, read the FAQs (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pwIOJ8XsvmnBfQSJpiWHhsMtkUQ3ilMhh_tFLcCAFLw/edit?usp=sharing) and let’s let the planning conversation begin!

humer91
08-10-2016, 21:44
in before the ban!

UncleMJM
08-11-2016, 18:06
I'm impressed. Less than 24 hours into this planning and there are already 25 sites pd and by my estimate over 90 planning on attending.

The planning sheet is now live! Just to get us kick started; I have added the names of those who have already indicated they were planning on coming by way of Facebook, pm, or emails, as well as carryover info on some fields as we had it from last year. Please look for your name and update the rest of the information. From here forward, please add yourselves.

Oldgringo, aka "The Checotah Territory Banker" will be the only one to edit the "$Pd" column though.

Once a site is paid, Rat will add it to his info for site assignment. He’s an HVAC guy and since we are in triple digit temps, suffice it to say his plate is a bit full so don’t look for site assignments right away. Don’t worry though it will be available well before the hang and everyone will have a place to hang as well as hang out.

Planning Spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/141LYcG09fx5dIV-PELp5_KHFrzdCzd2vGAZh3n5C-P8/edit?usp=sharing)

Kattelyn
08-11-2016, 20:50
In as always. Count on me for a free wild foods and medicines hike.

UncleMJM
08-12-2016, 11:16
In as always. Count on me for a free wild foods and medicines hike.

While I didn't want to "assume", I was already counting on you! :laugh:

Thanks!

Also, I just saw we are up to 26 sites booked and 100 participants potentially!:scared::laugh:

jrs
08-14-2016, 21:56
As Always, will be good to see you and yours, Mike

rodloos
08-14-2016, 23:09
Looking forward to this again. *Really* looking forward to some cooler weather too :) though we finally got a bit of a break here in DFW this weekend. Looks like I'm listed on the spreadsheet OK.

I haven't figured out what I'll bring for the potluck yet, but will try to figure it out as it gets closer.

I don't think I've been camping since last year's event, I'll have to see if I can even remember how to hang my hammock!

Always good to follow along on Kattelyn's wild edibles/medicines hike!

erinkae
08-15-2016, 08:47
Mike and I are in! Sending payment now.

erinkae
08-15-2016, 08:55
Also, I will not forget the sign in binder this year... :/

UncleMJM
08-15-2016, 20:04
As Always, will be good to see you and yours, Mike

We look forward to seeing you too, amigo.

Looking forward to this again. *Really* looking forward to some cooler weather too :) though we finally got a bit of a break here in DFW this weekend. Looks like I'm listed on the spreadsheet OK.

I haven't figured out what I'll bring for the potluck yet, but will try to figure it out as it gets closer.

I don't think I've been camping since last year's event, I'll have to see if I can even remember how to hang my hammock!

Always good to follow along on Kattelyn's wild edibles/medicines hike!

We can arrange to have a remedial hanging workshop for lapsed hangers trying to get back into the swing of things if that would help. :laugh:

Mike and I are in! Sending payment now.

Sweet. It'll be great to hang out with you guys again. You just paid for the 28th of the first 35 sites!

Also, I will not forget the sign in binder this year... :/

No worries. :cool: Of course the gig is not just bringing but also updating. :scared:

joe_guilbeau
08-18-2016, 04:11
Nov. 14, 2016
https://youtu.be/NTGsqP49hhM

...although temps at Fairfield Lake in November tend to be mid-40's to mid-60's

8:52 a.m. EST — The Full Beaver Moon. Time to set beaver traps before the swamps freeze to ensure a supply of warm winter furs. Another interpretation suggests that the name Beaver Full Moon comes from the fact that the beavers are now active in their preparation for winter. Also called the Frosty Moon. The moon will also be at an extreme perigee this day at 6:00 a.m., at a distance of 221,524 miles (356,509 kilometers) from Earth. It will truly be a "Supermoon," as the last time the moon came this close to Earth was on Jan. 26, 1948. Large ocean tides can be expected on Jan. 14, 15, 16 and 17 from the coincidence of perigee with full moon.

UncleMJM
08-19-2016, 10:20
Full moon and first week of DST on the same event. Who needs a headlamp any more?

KINGLONESTAR
08-21-2016, 14:57
This Noob is in. Will have the aluminum/fiberglass tarp on wheels parked close by for MrsLONESTAR and DAUGHTERLONESTAR.

I am BRAND new to hammock camping. What better way to learn than from some of y'all?! I'm very excited about this trip and can't wait to meet y'all and learn some cool new things.

See y'all in November.

UncleMJM
08-21-2016, 16:50
This Noob is in. Will have the aluminum/fiberglass tarp on wheels parked close by for MrsLONESTAR and DAUGHTERLONESTAR.

I am BRAND new to hammock camping. What better way to learn than from some of y'all?! I'm very excited about this trip and can't wait to meet y'all and learn some cool new things.

See y'all in November.

Glad that you and your's can join us! Since you say you're new to this, here are a couple of reminders for you...

FAQs (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pwIOJ8XsvmnBfQSJpiWHhsMtkUQ3ilMhh_tFLcCAFLw/edit?usp=sharing) and all the details needed are on a Google Doc (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pwIOJ8XsvmnBfQSJpiWHhsMtkUQ3ilMhh_tFLcCAFLw/edit?usp=sharing) for everyone’s review.

So that we can all be on the same page, if you haven’t been to this event before, or if you’ve been to every one since we started, take a few minutes to read the FAQs (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pwIOJ8XsvmnBfQSJpiWHhsMtkUQ3ilMhh_tFLcCAFLw/edit?usp=sharing).

Frequently Asked Questions
Please check here before posting a question (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pwIOJ8XsvmnBfQSJpiWHhsMtkUQ3ilMhh_tFLcCAFLw/edit?usp=sharing)as it may already have been addressed.

There's lots of good info there, especially important is the info about sites so be sure to check that out. :)

Re: The planning sheet - please add yourselves.

Planning Spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/141LYcG09fx5dIV-PELp5_KHFrzdCzd2vGAZh3n5C-P8/edit?usp=sharing)

That sheet helps us know who will be there and when so we can plan for group activities and be available to help people who need assistance with set up.

Gazelle
08-21-2016, 19:39
Going to try to make it up from Houston. Haven't been to a big hammock hang yet so this is perfect for me.

joe_guilbeau
08-24-2016, 08:43
Full moon and first week of DST on the same event. Who needs a headlamp any more?

Probably getting lots of rain... watch out for skeeters! I use 100% DEET

UncleMJM
08-24-2016, 16:04
Going to try to make it up from Houston. Haven't been to a big hammock hang yet so this is perfect for me.
Glad to have you with us Gazelle! Group hangs are great for lots of reasons. High among them are the opportunities to meet folks of like interest, good campfire conversations shared, great food, and the wide range of gear to see and try. Check out the info in the posts above and add yourself to the planning sheet. If you have questions, don't be shy about them.

Probably getting lots of rain... watch out for skeeters! I use 100% DEET

Skeeters will be a problem in the next couple of weeks but by the time we are there in November they will be long gone I expect, at least that's been the case in the past.

UncleMJM
09-02-2016, 16:07
Only 2 more "ber" months until we're hanging in Fairfield!

Please add to or update the spreadsheet with your info.

There are still a few sites available for those who want to book them and there are plenty of people willing to share for those who prefer that route.

We've got leaders on board for classes on foraging and line splicing. It's a good idea to bring something to take notes with for the edible hike. While there will be some amsteel available on site at cost, those with a lot of splicing in mind still have plenty of time to place an order with one of the great DIY vendors to get the color and quantity of line you want out there.

The burn ban has lifted and I'm starting to think about meals now!

Texas_toothpick
09-06-2016, 21:53
Do ya'll hang in their primative sites or the main park area? They have a nice trail on the premitive but they have been saying for months it was closed, this is why I ask.

UncleMJM
09-06-2016, 22:17
Do ya'll hang in their primative sites or the main park area? They have a nice trail on the premitive but they have been saying for months it was closed, this is why I ask.

Howdy Texas_toothpick!

When the trail was open, I would hike out to the primitive area but have not camped out there. Since we have a large group, currently expecting over 100, even if it were open, it wouldn't work for this particular annual hang.

This event is a car camping weekend. We have a block of sites reserved in their water only area and those who like to plug in reserve individual sites in the adjacent loop with hook ups of the electric variety.

Texas_toothpick
09-06-2016, 22:26
Last year about this time my hiking buddy and I took their primative trail and fished for blue tilapia. The trail had a few bridges washed out so we told them and hadn't got to go back since. :(

I'd love to make this one cause it is so close to home,(45 mins from my buddies house) however I have no idea if I will still even be local working that far from now.

Edit: I'm new to hanging, and he is a ground dweller. I hope to change his mind. :D

UncleMJM
09-12-2016, 17:39
Only 2 more "ber" months until we're hanging in Fairfield!

Please add to or update the spreadsheet with your info.

There are still a few sites available for those who want to book them and there are plenty of people willing to share for those who prefer that route.

We've got leaders on board for classes on foraging and line splicing. It's a good idea to bring something to take notes with for the edible hike. While there will be some amsteel available on site at cost, those with a lot of splicing in mind still have plenty of time to place an order with one of the great DIY vendors to get the color and quantity of line you want out there.

The burn ban has lifted and I'm starting to think about meals now!

Site update: "still a few sites available" = 3, as of my most recent count!

That's for those who want to book a site in the water only area, "Springfield Loop", where most will be hanging and where the main group activities will take place.

Once those are gone, there will still be plenty of space as many with site reservations are open to sharing and for those who prefer a private site, the adjacent camping area with full hookups still has plenty of space.

Walkin' Dude
09-13-2016, 01:32
This sounds awesome! I will talk to my wife about us and our 7 year-old coming out to meet everyone!

wiredconcepts
09-14-2016, 17:19
I just got into hammocks. The wife and my teen daughter are excited about it. DIY'ing all our own gear just for the fun of it. I just talked to them about coming out if we get all of our gear made, they want to come. I think we will be there. Got to get on making my costco under quilts like now.

UncleMJM
09-14-2016, 18:01
I just got into hammocks. The wife and my teen daughter are excited about it. DIY'ing all our own gear just for the fun of it. I just talked to them about coming out if we get all of our gear made, they want to come. I think we will be there. Got to get on making my costco under quilts like now.

Howdy and welcome!

DIY can be a lot of fun! Even if you don't have everything made by then, there are enough folks going that take extra gear that I bet you could find some loaners should there be the need.

wiredconcepts
09-15-2016, 08:27
Howdy and welcome!

DIY can be a lot of fun! Even if you don't have everything made by then, there are enough folks going that take extra gear that I bet you could find some loaners should there be the need.

Thanks you very much. I am already buying up Costco throws like we are having blizzards. I would love to have all of our gear done by then so we can test it out.

UncleMJM
09-17-2016, 11:56
Planning on attending? If so, please make sure you have added/updated your info to the planning spreadsheet.

We currently have 62 line entries representing 121 potential participants.

Of those 62, all but 16 have either booked a site, (through our group or directly with the park), or have indicated who they are sharing with in a site that has been booked.

34 of the 35 available sites we have blocked for our group in the Springfield Loop, water only area, have been paid for with 1 remaining available.

83 sites in the adjacent Cooks Ferry and Post Oak loops are available for reservation directly through the Texas State Parks system.

There are plenty of trees at most of the sites that work well for hanging. Also there are plenty of sites for those who prefer to camp more privately as opposed to sharing with someone they haven't yet met.

If you have not booked a site or made arrangements to share a site, it's a good idea to do that sooner than later. Please mark who you are sharing with on the spreadsheet when that's decided. I'll move your line entry next to the person you are sharing with and mark you as "set". Those still not connected with a site will be on the bottom of the page.

There are at least 9 folks with Pd sites open to share and each site can accommodate several so for those needing to find a space can check who's willing to share and enter into an offline/PM conversation. Once set, please update the spreadsheet.

banshee68
09-29-2016, 00:22
2.5 years and 3 surgeries, and I'm sooooo ready to get back in the woods and hang!!! Alex and I don't mind sharing, we love meeting new people, and can't wait to see old friends. I'll be checking the sign up sheet for someone to share with, or give me a shout. Yes, I'll be bringing cookies as always, and a new family member, Deja. Just need to figure out a set up for her, she's a spoiled furbaby! Maybe SARGE can give me some pointers??? My leg is still a little gimpy, and it's been a while, so would appreciate a hand setting up.

:D:cool::shades:
D

UncleMJM
10-01-2016, 20:36
39 days to go!:boggle::scared:

erinkae
10-01-2016, 22:28
So.. I am racking up a big group again. I can't remember what the sites look like to accommodate us. We have converted a new member to join us as well. I made need help finding site...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

UncleMJM
10-01-2016, 22:40
So.. I am racking up a big group again. I can't remember what the sites look like to accommodate us. We have converted a new member to join us as well. I made need help finding site...

That's great to hear!

Rat will be working on site assignments soon. Please be sure to update the spreadsheet with the size of your group so he has good info to work with. If there's more than 8 or more than 2 cars we may have to spread out some to satisfy park rules, but we'll work it out.

Will any have stands available or should I bring my YATS (3 hammock stand just like what Rat uses)?

erinkae
10-02-2016, 00:20
At this moment there are 10 who plan to go. I will update that on the sheet. None of us have hammock stands...so if there is not enough trees and you do not mind bringing those it will be greatly appreciated. I will have a definite # by end of month.

UncleMJM
10-02-2016, 08:02
At this moment there are 10 who plan to go. I will update that on the sheet. None of us have hammock stands...so if there is not enough trees and you do not mind bringing those it will be greatly appreciated. I will have a definite # by end of month.

You've been busy. I'm thinking word must have gotten out about your mac n cheese. :D

There are plenty of trees and if you are on one of the perimeter sites there should be no problem. If in a site with limited hang options, there are still ways we can make it work.

Parking may become a challenge if folks choose to drive themselves instead of share rides. :)

When you update the spreadsheet, please look at those listed on the bottom of the list/page that are not yet matched with a site and if any are from your group, please
1. note that they will be sharing with you and
2. either change their quantity of participants to "*" and include them in your count or leave their quantity as is but don't include them in your count. (if in both it will inflate the totals at the bottom of the page.)

Good counts help in planning.
I'll have plenty for Saturday breakfast.
Please make sure to bring enough food for 10 for the pot luck on Saturday night.

erinkae
10-07-2016, 11:37
I updated the spreadsheet with our current numbers. I do not see any of my group on the list at the bottom. I thought the Kevin Guidry was one but I asked him and he said he did not even know how to sign up for this so I left that line alone.

As for the parking - I am pretty sure most will be driving themselves since we are all coming up at different times/days. There is parking overflow around the camp area right?

And of course we will all bring different foods to contribute to the potluck like we always do. I do not know what everyone else is bringing though.

Will update if #'s change in the next couple of weeks

UncleMJM
10-07-2016, 11:45
Sounds perfect Erin! Gracias! We'll work with parking. Worst case is there may be a fee for excess cars but I bet we can, at the worst, minimize that.

UncleMJM
10-12-2016, 15:44
Hey campers!

I just got word that the final space in Springfield has been paid for and booked! What that means is if you do not already have a site, now is the time to be sending private messages to those people who have already paid for a site and have noted on the planning sheet that they're willing to share. Once you set up who you're sharing with, please post that information on the spreadsheet so we know that you are set.

The other option is to book a site directly with the park system. Cook's Ferry and the adjacent areas have close to 96 campsites but as of today only 28 sites are left for the weekend that we'll be there.

What's this mean? We're getting close to the hang and it's time to make some decisions. :)

Calait
10-14-2016, 22:10
Hoping this is my first hang for 4 nights, though I will have to configure my sleeping bag to an underquilt.

UncleMJM
10-17-2016, 16:57
Here's the list of interest areas for classes as I've seen it so far on the planning spreadsheet, (please feel free to add topics).

Anyone willing to lead, please shout out.

Leaders, if you need folk to bring supplies or have a time in mind, please note that too.

Brandy - wild edibles hike
Hummer91/Scuba - Splicing BYO Amsteel project or he'll have some available at cost
Rat - Knots & Paracord Bracelets - ready for round 3 Rat?
Ken - sewing machine basics for DIY

Topics mentioned with no set leaders yet:
Kayaking
DIY Hammock
hunting/fishing
archery
wilderness survival
stoves
light weight gear
insulation

Any other topics of interest???

KINGLONESTAR
10-17-2016, 18:22
Wilderness survival/bushcraft-type stuff. Less than 30 days out and I'm pumped for my first Hang!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UncleMJM
10-19-2016, 16:55
Still a bit too soon for a countdown, but doing a bit of meal planning in anticipation…

okay, 21 days!

Throkda
10-20-2016, 09:23
I'll have games to play as usual. Been amusing myself drawing boards on canvas to teach things like Nine Men's Morris and Alquerque at an event about the Spanish Colonial period this weekend at Caddo Mounds....naturally I'll bring all that to the hang if there's any interest in playing a game at the host site.

Hornman
10-21-2016, 10:03
Hello Folks I back ....I'll be there. trying to talk my wife into coming.

KINGLONESTAR
10-21-2016, 10:34
HOLYCRAPTUISWEATHERISAWESOMEIHAFTAGOHANGAHANMOCKSO MEWHERENOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UncleMJM
10-21-2016, 15:01
Hello Folks I back ....I'll be there. trying to talk my wife into coming.

Glad to see you on here buddy! Be sure to add your info to the planning spreadsheet linked above as that's the official planning tool. (The Facebook event is informative but not where we are basing our counts and site assignments.)

The spreadsheet is also worth showing your wife if part of her concern is being the only female type person camping as there are at least 2 1/2 dozen wives, girl friends, significant others or solo women that will be there by my count.

UncleMJM
10-21-2016, 16:04
I just got off the phone with my contact at Fairfield Lake State Park and they are really excited about us coming again this year.

I learned the park is under a burn ban again which is an annual frustration in Texas. It's time for those who choose to pray for rain or do rain dances to kick it into high gear. Charcoal is still allowed for cooking, but we may have some limitations as far as campfires go.

Those who have done this before know this is an annual occurrence and for those doing this the first time don't worry chances are good we'll have plenty of October rain.

I'll keep everyone posted so we know whether to bring firewood or extra glow sticks.

oldgringo
10-22-2016, 17:38

Dude. Calm down.:D

Calait
10-22-2016, 21:31
I am hoping to get into Cooks Ferry near Springfield camping area. I am bringing our trailer along with the wife, hoping our site has trees I can hang in at least one night.

UncleMJM
10-22-2016, 22:25

Dude. Calm down.:D

Hahaha. Sounds like someone has already taped onto the oldgringo coffee pot

I am hoping to get into Cooks Ferry near Springfield camping area. I am bringing our trailer along with the wife, hoping our site has trees I can hang in at least one night.

Cooks Ferry has tons of trees and finding a site for a trailer and one hammock will be easy. Where it gets dicey for me and my crew is we are looking for 3 or more hang spots per site when we go out and while many have that, not all do.

Calait
10-22-2016, 22:57
That would be considered great news, thanks.

erinkae
10-30-2016, 21:01
Not sure if site assignments have been given... We are down to 8 people now instead of 10. Will update spreadsheet.

UncleMJM
10-31-2016, 06:52
Not sure if site assignments have been given... We are down to 8 people now instead of 10. Will update spreadsheet.

Thanks for the update! We're looking forward to seeing you guys!

UncleMJM
10-31-2016, 07:01
DIY Videos are great but sometimes you need some hands on help… Sarge to the rescue!

Here's a recent post from our FB group in response to my bribe attempt for some DIY help…

Uncle Mike is bribing me with coffee and extra breakfast tacos to put some snaps on some Costco quilts for top quilts, and I figgered it might also work as a how to demostration for making the "No Sew Wearable Top Quilt and Underquilt Booster" as shown in my soon to be award winning video series on the subject.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSqjIjcsk2faiYTp2mTFbyZJd7WH_9YCJ

So if you've got the quilts, snaps, and a snap gun and want to follow along, bring them along and we'll do it together. I might be talked into loaning out my snap gun for those who don't have one, and I might be talked out of a few snaps, too. But bring your own if you can.

You can get them here:
https://ripstopbytheroll.com/collections/kam-snaps/products/kam-snaps-plier-kit
https://ripstopbytheroll.com/products/kam-snaps
Or you can run down to Hobby Lobby and look for the "Babyville" snap pliers in the sewing section.

In addition to breakfast tacos on Saturday morning and a pot luck dinner Saturday evening, other plans in addition to gear show and tell include a prize drawing Saturday night. (No tickets sold, only requirement is you have to be present to win.) I can't tell you what the prizes are because different folks bring donations, but the odds are great that there will be some cool gear and at least a hammock or two in the mix.

Other goings on include knot tying, paracord survival bracelet construction, splicing, kayak conversations, and a stroll around the trees to learn about edibles underfoot.

erinkae
10-31-2016, 17:13
Okay down to 6 people now. So that should be our final number. I will update spreadsheet.

UncleMJM
11-04-2016, 08:04
Hey Campers!

We are less than one week out!

Group hang notes and considerations (some may be excessively, overly redundant but still bear repeating):

Here are some details and reminders. (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BoVRy7z2crCCtryvg9owCNFGWa4UCS1D968sSKw7QX8/edit?usp=sharing)

oldgringo
11-04-2016, 08:50
How do we stand re: burn ban, Mike?

Rat
11-04-2016, 08:51
I will have the sites up and ready to go tonight. I have no access to the planning spreadsheet from my work computer so it will be late this evening. I have everyone's requests via PMs and Messages.

I apologize for my late update, you can slap me at the hang!

oldgringo
11-04-2016, 08:58
The Rat lives!:D

UncleMJM
11-04-2016, 09:42
How do we stand re: burn ban, Mike?

As of late last night still charcoal cooking and glow sticks. I'll be checking daily and update when I know something more.

humer91
11-04-2016, 12:34
The weather is calling for rain Sun, Mon, Tues, and Wednesday.....we can still hope.

UncleMJM
11-04-2016, 14:57
I get asked a lot by folks, "What should I bring to the pot luck?"

My answer is frequently, "Something good." Or, "Something good and lots of it."

For anyone seeking an unsolicited opinion, here's some rantings about pot lucks… (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MOaWX26tdmyIWgUNpRHe_GLtlIiAvw6lCpsP2Dn58IM/edit?usp=sharing)

erinkae
11-04-2016, 15:19
I will have the sites up and ready to go tonight. I have no access to the planning spreadsheet from my work computer so it will be late this evening. I have everyone's requests via PMs and Messages.

I apologize for my late update, you can slap me at the hang!

Yay! Yeah I was going to ask that because we plan on being up there Wednesday night. I do no think any of our "leaders" will be there until Thursday and I didn't want to go to the wrong site. :)

erinkae
11-04-2016, 15:24
I get asked a lot by folks, "What should I bring to the pot luck?"

My answer is frequently, "Something good." Or, "Something good and lots of it."

For anyone seeking an unsolicited opinion, here's some rantings about pot lucks… (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MOaWX26tdmyIWgUNpRHe_GLtlIiAvw6lCpsP2Dn58IM/edit?usp=sharing)

So what I am hearing is...double the mac n cheese? :P Nice rant.

I plan on revamping the sign in binder...nothing fancy of course. I will place it at the hospitality site like I did couple years ago since everyone will be coming in and such at different times/days - if that is okay.

UncleMJM
11-04-2016, 15:48
So what I am hearing is...double the mac n cheese? :P Nice rant.

I plan on revamping the sign in binder...nothing fancy of course. I will place it at the hospitality site like I did couple years ago since everyone will be coming in and such at different times/days - if that is okay.

I do love mac n cheese :shades:

Sounds good on the binder. My hope too is that at some point we get a good count so any thoughts on that are welcome.

I look forward to seeing Mr & Mrs The Beard soon!

KINGLONESTAR
11-04-2016, 17:25
What I read was bring lots of Cole slaw...

UncleMJM
11-05-2016, 11:11
** Burn Ban Update **

There has been plenty of rain in the last couple of days however there is no change to the burn ban status yet. The County Commissioners meet on Tuesday and my bet is they will lift it. Nothing official about that though until middle of next week. I'll post more when we have more to tell.

erinkae
11-05-2016, 16:18
I got my mom's Dutch oven to try cooking in... Definitely going to make cobbler

UncleMJM
11-05-2016, 17:00
I got my mom's Dutch oven to try cooking in... Definitely going to make cobbler

Mac -n- Cheese AND Cobbler????? :thumbup: :boggle:

Glad to help you any way I can if you have any D.O. questions!

UncleMJM
11-07-2016, 13:51
Some folk like to have a schedule to have a sense of what’s going on so for those who do here is the flow of the hang (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Q3EMk7GNyQWLI_Ia6P0gbQ7ETZHTWvhk8_g-7_QRjgk/edit?usp=sharing), (not to be confused with a real schedule except for meal times on Saturday that relate to food prep and sunshine)…

gospidey
11-08-2016, 09:39
is the D.O. or OD? :)

Mac -n- Cheese AND Cobbler????? :thumbup: :boggle:

Glad to help you any way I can if you have any D.O. questions!

Tyler
11-09-2016, 19:41
Anyone have better news than I'm finding on the burn ban? Park website says its still in place.

rodloos
11-11-2016, 01:48
Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to make it after all this weekend, so someone else can use my site if needed. It's paid for.

CooOkieCOOon
11-11-2016, 14:18
Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to make it after all this weekend, so someone else can use my site if needed. It's paid for.

Five guys from my normal posse decided to go today. They normally stay in the ghetto 36. But they may not all fit. They'll reimburse whomever necessary for that site. Or just stick them wherever. Thanks!

JollyGreen
11-11-2016, 17:22
Five guys from my normal posse decided to go today. They normally stay in the ghetto 36. But they may not all fit. They'll reimburse whomever necessary for that site. Or just stick them wherever. Thanks!

You have a posse??

KINGLONESTAR
11-11-2016, 18:24
KINGLONESTAR and crew leaving Cypress. ETA, 3 hours...due to obligatory pits top at BUCEE'S!!!

KINGLONESTAR
11-11-2016, 23:59
CLANLONESTAR on-site. We are in the loop next door to Springfield loop in our travel trailer. See y'all at breakfast in the morning. Can you make breakfast tacos like they have at BUCEE'S?

CooOkieCOOon
11-12-2016, 00:56
You have a posse??

Undoubtedly. Come on Muffin Killer, you know how I role. ;)

JollyGreen
11-12-2016, 06:47
Undoubtedly. Come on Muffin Killer, you know how I role. ;)

How do I get a roll in your posse?

Zort
11-13-2016, 17:47
The Zort clan has made it home.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

erinkae
11-13-2016, 20:26
Made it home! Had an awesome time. Thanks to all those who make this hang possible :) hope to see everyone soon

Snaggleroot
11-13-2016, 22:36
Got home in time for kick-off. Had a great time again this year. This picture was from the Friday hike - Fall comes to Texas.

https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/1/4/7/4/fairfield_lake.jpg (https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=28932)

I can't modify my signature line, but here's a link to my recent Minnesota hike...
http://hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/130437-Superior-Hiking-Trail-(SHT)-Flip-flop-Hike

PapaSmurf
11-13-2016, 23:05
Great time seeing everybody.
And yes.... everything is bigger in Texas.

UncleMJM
11-14-2016, 00:06

We missed you buddy!

Great time seeing everybody.
And yes.... everything is bigger in Texas.

Thanks again for making the trek PapaSmurf. It was great to see you and your bride again!

I'm glad to see folks made it home safely. Still worrying about those who haven't checked in.

I had a great time seeing old friends, making some new ones, and reuniting with some who have become family. It's good to be home, at least for 20 hours before work sends me off.

UncleMJM
11-14-2016, 11:09
There were a lot of people that did a lot of work to make this year's Texas Hang a success and the numbers are too many for me to mention without the risk of missing some.

Even so, I do want to thank Old Gringo, the banker, for collecting site fees in advance and keeping us caffeinated. Rat, for coordinating site assignments prior to our arrival and jump starting our car Sunday morning so we could go home. Captn for giving away a lot of wonderful donated prizes after an amazing feast. And, although he couldn't make it in person, Alan, whose advance help was greatly valued and missed by many.

We ate incredibly well.

Thanks Babelfish5 for adding a delicious Friday morning breakfast to our list of things to do again and for the finishing wax that has already been put to use. Friday breakfast was much more than the Clark and Uncle Mike show. Thank you Cindy for the fantastic biscuits and Frederick for a great job on the gravy that accompanied the main dish of the best Pancakes and hash browns I've had in ages.

Breakfast Saturday morning was a major production beginning late Friday evening and continuing prior to sun up with the kitchen set up in preparation for a major task with a small army of volunteers. They diced onions and peppers, fried bacon, chopped taters, cracked eggs, lifted and stirred heavy hot pots, served, cleaned up and fed 20 to 30 folks after the official line count of 78, so we'll call it close to 100.

I've never seen so much food at a Saturday night pot luck and everything I tried was delicious. Set up with 2 lines went great thanks to the work of Gage, Brian, and Alex and the cleanup was a snap.

Speaking of snap, thanks to Sarge for the DIY lesson on quilts, Brandy for once again teaching us about plants along with Hummer91 for splicing, Rat for paracord work, Polkster13 for bringing yaks, and here's where my memory fades...

There were so many prizes donated that there's no way to thank everyone who offered gifts to others. Thank you all.

I'd like to encourage everyone, especially those who won prizes, to thank Paul w/ UGQ, PapaSmurf, and Hummer91 for their generosity and some really cool gear.

Also, please be sure to thank the fine people at Fairfield Lake State Park for their hospitality and then go back and Camp there some more and spend some money in the gift shop.

I especially want to thank my amazing wife, Cindy, for all her hard work and letting us all go play with our friends in the woods!

I look forward to next year as well as many fun times between now and then!

Spiguyver
11-15-2016, 22:10
Can any of you point me to a good place to do some backpacking this weekend within 3-4 hours of Abilene?

oldgringo
11-16-2016, 00:26
I'm through with surgery, and enjoying my first cup of coffee. Thanks for all of the wishes and prayers...seeing you all was good for the soul. Gringo.

UncleMJM
11-16-2016, 08:28
I'm through with surgery, and enjoying my first cup of coffee. Thanks for all of the wishes and prayers...seeing you all was good for the soul. Gringo.

Glad to hear it buddy. I look forward to the next time our paths cross.

LoxyGirl
12-04-2016, 11:21
I saw an A-Frame hammock stand made out of chain link fence post. I want to build this but I need the length of the post in the construction.

gmcpcs
12-25-2016, 10:28
I saw an A-Frame hammock stand made out of chain link fence post. I want to build this but I need the length of the post in the construction.
Hi Loxygirl,

I was hanging in one of these. I got the plans/ideas from a post here, but I don't know how to get a link for you as I'm on my phone. Here's a picture of mine though. I overbuilt mine, so I can walk under it.

Take it easy,
GMCPCS

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

gmcpcs
12-25-2016, 10:33
Hi Loxygirl,

I was hanging in one of these. I got the plans/ideas from a post here, but I don't know how to get a link for you as I'm on my phone. Here's a picture of mine though. I overbuilt mine, so I can walk under it.

Take it easy,
GMCPCS

Here's the link, I can't load my picture.
https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=114799

UncleMJM
07-22-2017, 19:41
Believe it or not, it's time to start planning for November 9-12, 2017. (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/139799-TX-gt-Fairfield-Lake-State-Park-gt-November-9-12-2017-9th-Annual-Texas-Fall-Group?p=1804092#post1804092)

Hornman
08-09-2017, 11:24
Hey Big Brother. How are you. How do I get you the funds

oldgringo
08-09-2017, 13:53
Hey Big Brother. How are you. How do I get you the funds

You have a pm, Ben.:)

Spiguyver
08-23-2017, 21:08
I just put my name on the planning spreadsheet. I'll let you know tomorrow if I need a site, or if I have someone to share with. If not, it's just me, anyone have room on their site? Be warned, I will be doing a lot of filming while I'm there!