PDA

View Full Version : Bugnet

thekid
08-21-2016, 16:38
I have been making a few bottom entry bugnets out of sheer curtains and it can be a pain to sew. It stretches and slides. So I have been measuring, chalking a line, and using Elmer's school glue on the outside edge to hold the layers together. I dab the glue with my finger every couple inches so it soaks through. Then I let it dry, cut the extra fabric then sew a zigzag stitch, then use pinking shears to get a closer cut. I know its a few extra steps but it saves me some frustration. This is a pic before I cut the glue line off.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160821/8b1e6cc4c940d62901d4d84e04e5a60a.jpg

bobamos
08-21-2016, 23:21
Hmmm. I am making the exact same bug netting from the same curtains. I just pin things about every 6 to 8 inches and it has been simple to sew...

thekid
08-22-2016, 05:40
Hmmm. I am making the exact same bug netting from the same curtains. I just pin things about every 6 to 8 inches and it has been simple to sew...
I tried pinning but for some reason the material keeps shifting on me and my pins fall out. This was just my quick lazy alternative

massis
08-22-2016, 06:45
While making a snakeskin from bugnetting last weekend, I used clothespins (plastic ones with a rubbery gripped section) to hold everything in place, every 10-15", and remove them as I go along sewing. Worked quite well to be honest!

Boston
08-22-2016, 07:40
I tried pinning but for some reason the material keeps shifting on me and my pins fall out. This was just my quick lazy alternative

Whatever works for you, there are commercial products meant to do the same thing, fwiw.

However, if you're going to do a lot of this, I really suggest working at it to be able to sew everything without this step. Hell of a time saver. Heck, most of the time I don't even pin.