PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Cut HEX12 Tarp Kits

ripstopbytheroll
09-06-2016, 16:33
Whenever we're brainstorming new ideas, I try to put myself in the shoes of the DIYer. What problems are out there? What's missing? How can we open up the DIY world to more folks?

One thing I've been thinking about is the DIY tarp. While it's not the only one, a BIG roadblock for a lot of people is the layout and cut process. By layout and cut, I mean the task of laying out fabric, marking it, figuring out cat curves, cutting, etc.

With everything that's involved, it can be intimidating, especially when you're a newbie. You'll either spend several hours struggling to figure it out, make a mistake and ruin the fabric, or maybe never even start the project because you don't have the ROOM to lay things out in the first place. In varying amounts, I did all three when making my first cat-cut tarp about 5 years ago.

We tackled this problem in part with our tarp template (https://ripstopbytheroll.com/collections/patterns) series, but we wanted to take it a step further. Enter the Pre-Cut HEX12 Tarp Kit:

-> https://ripstopbytheroll.com/collections/pre-cut-diy-kits/products/pre-cut-hex12-tarp-kit

The idea here is simple. Instead of struggling for hours, chancing a mistake, or never starting your tarp project, let us do the cutting for you. We'll precision cut both your tarp panels for a 12 foot ridgeline with 2" cat-cuts. All you do is pull it out of the bag and start sewing.

To reduce cost and speed up order fulfillment, we want to have these pre-made and ready to ship. We're starting with the original low-stretch 1.1 oz Silpoly in three colors - Moroccan Blue, Charcoal Gray, and Dark Olive. We picked these to start because they're some of the more popular colors.

However, if you want a certain color, POST IN THIS THREAD. If we get enough hits, we'll start cutting and add that color to the lineup. Same goes for different fabric.

As a launch special for the PRE-CUT kits, we're charging a whopping $0 for the cutting. That means that you can either buy our standard kit and cut tarp yourself, or you can have it done for you FREE OF CHARGE. We don't have a date set when the price will go up, but when it does we will make it reasonable. Also note that we have a limited number of these to start. You can see our inventory right on the site for each color.

As always, open to feedback, suggestions, and questions. Hopefully this is the final straw for a lot of folks in taking the DIY plunge.

-> https://ripstopbytheroll.com/collections/pre-cut-diy-kits/products/pre-cut-hex12-tarp-kit

THANKS!

bser272
09-06-2016, 16:58
That's an awesome idea! I may have to jump on this.

johnspenn
09-06-2016, 18:28
Great idea and offering. I love to see vendors tuned in to their clientele and fill needs.

NarlocB
09-06-2016, 18:32
I would be all over this with a burnt orange color. Will watch really closely!!!!

Eidson
09-06-2016, 18:35
OutdoorINK would be pretty amazing ;)

SilvrSurfr
09-06-2016, 19:53
Thanks for thinking of us - sounds pretty awesome!

Ratdog
09-06-2016, 19:57
Loving it.

Next, a 12' or 13' hex w/ doors pre-cut ??? (thinking winter tarp here)
Pre-cutting service on all hammock/tarp designs???

Cutting is one of those things that requires a lot of space (and no dogs) so this service is a great deal.

underserviced
09-06-2016, 20:20
I love this idea. I share my home with two dogs...

BigE94
09-06-2016, 20:38
Been wanting to diy a hex 12 and you guess it ... The cutting process was the one thing stopping me. Awesome deal here. I'm in. I agree that the outdoor ink would be awesome. Maybe a slight charge for cutting when you get everything up and running.

goobie
09-06-2016, 20:47
I'd be all over this, in earth tones or camo............if only they were 11 footers!!

kitsapcowboy
09-06-2016, 22:43
MULTICAM!!! :thumbup:

Multicam 1.1 oz Intruder sil-nylon, please.

(I too would prefer am 11-foot ridge line, but 12 would work. )

FJRpilot
09-06-2016, 22:52
Very nice! I would have just been happy with the cut lines printed on the fabric. As usual, you guys take it a "step beyond". This is a great deal... Game changer....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

STinGa
09-06-2016, 23:59
Coyote brown seems to be a color that I keep getting drawn to (along with the previously mentioned multi-cam).

STinGa

kitsapcowboy
09-07-2016, 02:43
Coyote brown seems to be a color that I keep getting drawn to (along with the previously mentioned multi-cam).

STinGaAgreed.

hk2001
09-07-2016, 09:50
MULTICAM!!! :thumbup:

Multicam 1.1 oz Intruder sil-nylon, please.

(I too would prefer am 11-foot ridge line, but 12 would work. )

Do I get to vote? If so, I second this

kitsapcowboy
09-07-2016, 09:53
Do I get to vote? If so, I second this
I think your vote should count twice. :thumbup:

Pennsy Camp and Canoe
09-07-2016, 10:00
greatest idea since pre-cut bread! Gotta talk the wifey into this (she wants a jet boil)

hk2001
09-07-2016, 10:22
greatest idea since pre-cut bread! Gotta talk the wifey into this (she wants a jet boil)

Need the tarp to stay dry while cooking.

Concerning the stove, as somone who has owned both, look at the MSR windburner (http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/product_MSR-WindBurner-Stove-System_10296444_10208_10000001_-1_).

HammockCanoe
09-07-2016, 11:11
I'd be all over this, in earth tones or camo............if only they were 11 footers!!

+1 on the 11 footers.

Intimidator
09-07-2016, 11:20
+1 on the 11 footers.
+2 on 11

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Rynomcavoy
09-07-2016, 13:40
How long of a wait until you offer MEMBRANE fabric? That would be sweet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

levithix
09-07-2016, 15:02

This

Also, almost wish I hadn't ordered a kit a week ago (though I ordered MEMBRAINE winter, so still happy)

JPaulRoadKing
09-07-2016, 15:36
I was just about to order the kit. This is great, was going to get the template. I have a big shop, but the floors get crowded up in a hurry with projects and doesn't leave that kind of layout room. How do we order one of these?

ripstopbytheroll
09-07-2016, 16:03
I was just about to order the kit. This is great, was going to get the template. I have a big shop, but the floors get crowded up in a hurry with projects and doesn't leave that kind of layout room. How do we order one of these?

Good deal. I'm glad this helps out :). You can order here: https://ripstopbytheroll.com/products/pre-cut-hex12-tarp-kit. Thanks in advance.

JPaulRoadKing
09-07-2016, 18:05
Thanks, ordered a blue kit.

BigE94
09-07-2016, 18:57
I'm officially in. Put in what was supposed to be a modest order with RBTR and it ballooned. I've had that outdoor ink red scales fabric running through my head and finally pulled the trigger. Now I need some noseeum printed to match.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Roundtrip Raven
09-07-2016, 20:27
OutdoorINK would be pretty amazing ;)
+3 on OutdoorINK. Preferably Starry night or scales.

+2 on 11

+3 on 11 footer

Pennsy Camp and Canoe
09-07-2016, 21:56
Need the tarp to stay dry while cooking.

Concerning the stove, as somone who has owned both, look at the MSR windburner (http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/product_MSR-WindBurner-Stove-System_10296444_10208_10000001_-1_).

thx Justin, we will!

BTW, approximately how much does this weigh?

Heber Hammock
09-07-2016, 23:43
Placed my order for a Moroccan blue pre-cut kit today. Looking forward to getting straight down to the stitching.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ripstopbytheroll
09-08-2016, 10:47

We're cutting the first batch of charcoal gray now.

goobie
09-08-2016, 16:52
We're cutting the first batch of charcoal gray now.

Can ya cut an 11'??...........please;)

Enobuffalo
09-08-2016, 16:54
Camo silpoly?

Redfish
09-08-2016, 19:33
Green Branch camo, Orange Branch camo, White Branch camo.

You get the idea??? ����

ripstopbytheroll
09-09-2016, 11:14
Camo silpoly?

I think that's probably a good one to add. MARPAT or Woodland you think?

Update - We've just added the first UL HEX12 PRE-CUT kits here: https://ripstopbytheroll.com/products/pre-cut-hex12-ultralight-tarp-kit

goobie
09-09-2016, 12:48
I vote for MARPAT.......................and an 11 footer!!

hutzelbein
09-11-2016, 02:11
Kyle, would you consider offering the option to just buy the pre-cut fabric, without the rest of the kit? The Kit is a great option for beginners or people who just want to build one tarp. But I'm sure I'm not the only one who likes to tinker and use different add-ons with every new build. The pre-cut would be very helpful, but I don't want to spend money on stuff I don't need and likely won't use.

ripstopbytheroll
09-11-2016, 10:24
Kyle, would you consider offering the option to just buy the pre-cut fabric, without the rest of the kit? The Kit is a great option for beginners or people who just want to build one tarp. But I'm sure I'm not the only one who likes to tinker and use different add-ons with every new build. The pre-cut would be very helpful, but I don't want to spend money on stuff I don't need and likely won't use.

That's something we could look at. Anyone else interested in having an option for no components?

hutzelbein
09-11-2016, 10:34
That's something we could look at.

Thanks!

Another question came up in the meantime, though: are the edges heat-sealed? So do you pre-cut with a hot knife or with a cutter?

ripstopbytheroll
09-11-2016, 10:53
Thanks!

Another question came up in the meantime, though: are the edges heat-sealed? So do you pre-cut with a hot knife or with a cutter?

We use an industrial rotary cutter, actually the same model used in all the commercial cut/sew rooms I've been to. Since the fabric is coated, it also doesn't tend to fray. It's a very clean cut.

XJ35S
09-11-2016, 13:09
I vote for a cut, no component option too. You're doing an awesome job!!

sbilly
09-11-2016, 13:09
Are you going to be doing the pre-cut in the winter tarp at anytime.

Winnie
09-11-2016, 19:20
I'm hoping to see a wider fabric in your tarp kits some day.

Winnie
09-11-2016, 19:23
I'm hoping to see a wider fabric like the silnylon XL in your tarp kits some day.

ripstopbytheroll
09-11-2016, 20:54

If I can talk the crew into a few hours of OT, hoping for tomorrow.

goobie
09-11-2016, 21:02
Which one of the crew do I send Kringle to so they cut a foot off the length of one of those:rolleyes::rolleyes:?? In MARPAT maybe??

JPaulRoadKing
09-12-2016, 09:49
My kit is supposed to be here today! I do have a question, if you can? I have heard somewhere of what kind of thread is the best for sewing one of these, polyester??? Maybe, cant remember. I have always just used a heavy thread before on my projects and not really given it much thought.

ripstopbytheroll
09-12-2016, 12:32
My kit is supposed to be here today! I do have a question, if you can? I have heard somewhere of what kind of thread is the best for sewing one of these, polyester??? Maybe, cant remember. I have always just used a heavy thread before on my projects and not really given it much thought.

MARA 70 thread is polyester and will work great - https://ripstopbytheroll.com/products/gutermann-mara-70

This is what I've used on all the tarps I've done.

JPaulRoadKing
09-12-2016, 13:29
Well, wish I had asked before I ordered. Got in a hurry, test run on the new prototype sandbar hanging rig is this weekend. I'll see what I can find locally in that line and will be sure to get some from you on the next project. Coming soon!

Thanks,
Paul

Enobuffalo
09-12-2016, 16:56
I vote for MARPAT.......................and an 11 footer!!
I second the MARAPAT

humer91
09-12-2016, 22:56
12 ft, MARPAT, no components

ripstopbytheroll
09-13-2016, 17:32

Just finished up adding this - https://ripstopbytheroll.com/products/pre-cut-winter12-tarp-kit. Enjoy!

kitsapcowboy
09-13-2016, 17:35
Just finished up adding this - https://ripstopbytheroll.com/products/pre-cut-winter12-tarp-kit. Enjoy!

How wide are the winter tarps when finished?

ripstopbytheroll
09-13-2016, 17:41
How wide are the winter tarps when finished?

Each panel is 58-59" wide, so assuming edge hemming and ridgeline seam probably around 115".

Ratdog
09-13-2016, 17:55

Oh man is my trigger finger getting itchy.

Need this kit in the wide silpoly fabric. The Ultimate Winter Tarp.
just saying' :cool:

ripstopbytheroll
09-15-2016, 10:21

We've now added a no components option to all the pre-cut kits.

hutzelbein
09-15-2016, 15:28
We've now added a no components option to all the pre-cut kits.

Great, thanks!

Pavel
09-18-2016, 09:54
marvelous. I've got the space, but with four cats in the house that means 80 sharp claws on anything put on the ground, and one large dog drooling and shedding - this has been the most significant factor delaying any DYI thinking for me, for years. This offer calls my bluff, now I'm almost all out of excuses. :D

ripstopbytheroll
09-18-2016, 11:14
marvelous. I've got the space, but with four cats in the house that means 80 sharp claws on anything put on the ground, and one large dog drooling and shedding - this has been the most significant factor delaying any DYI thinking for me, for years. This offer calls my bluff, now I'm almost all out of excuses. :D

Great! Let us know if we can help with anything.

hungh13
09-21-2016, 14:22
I need 11' one, 12' is wayyyy too big and hard to find good spot for it.

mrcheviot
09-21-2016, 18:10
I agree, 11' would be nice.. although I don't mind taking the rotary cutter from outermost cat cuts to 6" in on each side of the RL. If anything I think this just helps create a larger vestibule for an 11'.

I realize that's not for everyone, and sort of defeats the purpose of a pre-cut tarp.

Carry on.

goobie
09-21-2016, 21:14
I agree, 11' would be nice.. although I don't mind taking the rotary cutter from outermost cat cuts to 6" in on each side of the RL. If anything I think this just helps create a larger vestibule for an 11'.

I realize that's not for everyone, and sort of defeats the purpose of a pre-cut tarp.

Carry on.

I'd like to see that. Changes the entire tarp, no? You're losing 6" on the RL, but leaving the sides the same length??

mrcheviot
09-21-2016, 21:59
I'd like to see that. Changes the entire tarp, no? You're losing 6" on the RL, but leaving the sides the same length??

6" in on each side would reduce the RL by 1 foot, while keeping the bottom edges same length. This alters the shape of the triangle that make the doors, making the top most angle where it meets the RL more obtuse.

If you look at the RSBTR plans (link (https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0261/6507/files/WINTER12_Tarp_Instructions_-_revA.pdf?3735829523060114529)) it's just moving the RL in by one box on each side.

I'm not sure how this affects door pitch when closing the doors to the opposite hex pullout since the angles and lengths of the triangle are different (vertical edge may become less taut, or bottom edge less horizontal), but when connecting the doors to a single stake or connected around the trees so they're pulled away from the RL I don't see if having any impact other than giving you a slightly larger vestibule.

So it's not really changing the entire tarp. I just cut a 12' tarp following the website plans and afterwards shortened the RL by 3" on each side doing it this way to give me 11 1/2' RL, so I guess I'll find out.

Anyone else w/ more tarp experience than I have can chime in on this though.

Nellythe1th
09-25-2016, 21:19
just received my pre cut winter 12 tarp kit olive drab super stoked.i just got back from a camp out with my sons boy scouts where it rained non stop for a day and half and the old trusty blue tarp did well but i saw here flaws lol, so i started looking at just material on your web site and found the kit was cheaper then buying 10 yards alone so grate deal and not having to cut it big plus for me. i hope that i get some time to get here put together before my sons next camping trip in October

nothermark
09-26-2016, 08:14
I just looked at your kits. What was not clear was whether all your kits were cat cut or not. It seemed to me that is worth pointing out. I was checking because I was going to suggest you offer the cutting service for both cat cut and straight cut tarps. Many of us do not want a cat cut tarp or want a cat cut on the bottom but not the ends or middle seam.

BigE94
09-26-2016, 08:48
Didn't see any pics of completed Hex12's using this kit. Here's the one I made from the RSBTR's precut kit.137538

Don't think I would have had the guts to take this one on if not for the precut option.

Weighed in at 16oz including stuff sack.

Nick
10-02-2016, 11:16
Tarp looks good!

ripstopbytheroll
10-03-2016, 16:43
Just a heads up that TOMORROW will be the last day for PRE-CUT tarp kits at the launch special. After midnight tomorrow, you'll be stuck paying an extra $15.

Incidentally, if you don't pick one up in time, that will STILL be the best $15 you ever spend. Promise.

https://ripstopbytheroll.com/collections/pre-cut-diy-kits

SmokyMtnHiker
10-03-2016, 19:35
Good thing I ordered mine last Thursday! Arrived today! I am stoked about doing this project. Alas, it will need to wait for this winter. Now until the snow arrives here in the Midwest is one of my busiest times of year where I work.