PDA

View Full Version : Algonquin Park First-timer

Bluknu
09-08-2016, 10:26
So this is for all those people out there who have experience visiting Algonquin Park.

I have a good friend who has never been to Algonquin Park, who has never been canoe camping, (but has been canoeing) who may not be the most physically fit person in the world. This person has camped but is more of a dyed in the wool tent trailer camper these days lol. He's not too much of a wuss but he is a city boy who likes to claim he's a country boy at heart. :lol:

I guess my problem is that I love canoe and hammock camping and am less fond of actual campgrounds and tents. The dilemma? I want to make sure I present this person with the most amazing trip for his skill set as an introduction to the park I love. I want to take him to some of the various sites around the park that truly gives a full impression of the beauty and history of the park.

I had considered a short canoe paddle and camp on one of the access lakes so that we would be relatively close to the car and could explore some of the sights along the highway corridor. That seems the most logical although I know it will be touristy and busy at the end of September. It seems logical. I was thinking either Canisbay, Rock Lake or Opeongo.

My question to you friendly Algonquinites: if you were taking an absolute newbie to Algonquin what would be your perfect trip either canoe or car camping? Let's say no portages tho at this time lol.

Oh and don't worry I will be checking with him before I plan too much. I'm just looking for some really nice choices. :)

ggreaves
09-08-2016, 13:29
wherever you go, once he experiences the scenery from the thunderbox in the morning (vs campground washrooms), he'll be hooked, I promise... but that wasn't what you asked.

biggy
09-08-2016, 14:22
wherever you go, once he experiences the scenery from the thunderbox in the morning (vs campground washrooms), he'll be hooked, I promise... but that wasn't what you asked.
Ah such an invigorating experience isn't it.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

KeeWayKeno
09-08-2016, 19:10
Hey Blu,
I understand your position ... my wife will happily car-camp Algonquin but her fear of bears ruled out the backcountry. She's slowly become used to the Park & less paranoid about bears after a few innocuous encounters. This year while paddling around different lakes along the highway, she finally expressed the feeling she was ready to try a backcountry site, say, on Canisbay or Opeongo. Success at last!

Your idea to try one of the access lakes is probably a good one. I don't know if there is such a thing as one "perfect" trip for everybody but Opeongo might suit your intentions. I recently met a couple in their late 60's heading to the South Bay beach sites. They were not in great shape - she had really bad knees in braces & his back was a mess - but they've been going there for years & didn't find it to physically demanding. Nearby Bates Island (maybe don't mention it's tragic history) is also very attractive. This presumes a 60 to 90 minute paddle (or longer if the wind is wrong, it is big water) is acceptable.

Beautiful sunsets across a large lake, well-used open sites, an easy paddle to (gasp!) the Opeongo store & showers as well as your vehicle to access all the amenities of Hwy 60. A "kinda" backcountry feel but the comfort of knowing that you can get out of Dodge if things don't go well or the weather turns on you.

For car camping I'd suggest Mew Lake, really just because the sites are a bit more private & it's right on the bike trail. Showers & a heated bathroom are luxuries that help newbies adjust. Downside is you have to truck your canoe to water unless paddling around in circles on tiny Mew is OK.

Hope this helps narrow down your many choices a bit ... good luck & sorry we won't see you at the Fall EGL hang!
Best,
Red

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Redoleary
09-08-2016, 19:20
Rain Lake access point 4 has some nice sites on it and its an access lake. A little more remote than the Hwy 60 corridor but no portages. Even if you only did one night it'd be a good intro to back country camping and the next day you could go do some car camping ... just ease him into it.

Monkeyboy42
09-08-2016, 20:36
I help lead a group that takes incoming university freshman from Maryland up for a seven day canoe trip in Algonquin every August. We bring crews of 6 freshman, 2 upper class men that have been before, and faculty who may, or may not have done it before.

We always have kids that have never done anything like this before. A lot have never even been camping, and some are certainly not in solid shape and conditioning. We put them through a 7 day loop from canoe up to big trout, and they all handle it. It's hard for some, but they learn what they really can do.

If your friend is an overweight 70 heart patient I probably would avoid a strenuous trip. If he isn't in terrible shape to start a back country trip is a great way to shape up I think. Don't make it killer, and plan a rest day in for recovery if needed. Take him out for the real thing though!

underserviced
09-08-2016, 20:38
Yeppers - Rain Lake. It's big but out of sight from the parking lot. There are some really great sites. You'll still feel way out but have a reasonable paddle back to the parking lot.

ps22285
09-08-2016, 21:42
Rock Lake has some great sites a short paddle away. Even Opeongo has some closer sites. Water taxi is available as well. Very special place!

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

ps22285
09-08-2016, 21:44
Check out my profile pic and ask your friend if that isnt pure bliss! Haha

Bluknu
09-09-2016, 01:40
Check out my profile pic and ask your friend if that isnt pure bliss! Haha

I've shown him the 'loo with a view' and explained how much better it is. He looked a little skeptical but not shocked. Lol

My friend is a bit overweight and early stage COPD so I want to absolutely make sure it's as enjoyable as possible but not SO tame as to be boring. He keeps talking about how wonderful Awenda is and I keep teasing him there's no park that's more impressive or iconic Canadian than Algonquin and he should be ashamed of himself that he's never gone. Lol

Opeongo does hold a special place in my heart. I used to camp there with my kids a lot when they were small. I stayed there in August for 4 days and those memories came flooding back. I will say I was slightly disappointed with the amount of motorboat traffic there is there now and it was the very first time I have ever been visited at my campsite by a park warden but it probably is a good place for a newbie with the store and the access to showers if you really need that sort of thing. Lol. I will definitely NOT tell him about Bates Island or any of the other bear fatalities that have happened there. :scared:

Rain was definitely one I'd do again. An easy enough trip and there looked like some promising brookie waters on the way in. :)

One I didn't immediately think of but I have done in the fall and was pretty quiet was Galeairy. Access from the boat launch at Whitney. Might be a possibility.

Red Kanu I'm happy to hear your wife's ready to give it a try. In all honesty I have never seen a bear in all my interior camping experiences. Plenty of wolves, moose, mink, otter, and other various critters but not bear. Not that it totally makes me sad but it seems there are more bear in the established campgrounds these days than the backcountry. It does seem I'm going to miss the fall hang which is really too bad because I really enjoyed the spring one. I still have your bear rope tho so I'll have to make it sometime to return it. :)

Thanks to everyone for their input so far. I was starting to wonder if an easy interior trip would be too much but I think it will be just right. Now hopefully the stars align and he can make it otherwise I will be on my own doing my own thing. Lol

KeeWayKeno
09-29-2016, 12:09
Hey Blu ... just wondering where you settled on & how it worked out? Do we have a newly-minted Hanger to meet?

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Bluknu
10-02-2016, 20:17
Nope. Unfortunately despite my best efforts he cancelled on me. He's got a lot of crap going on in his life right now. Kailua and I went tho. Just a simple trip to Canisbay. I'll post some pics when I get them sorted. I just got back.