PDA

View Full Version : Step 3 Optional?

No-sage
09-09-2016, 18:16
In the tarp instructions, sewing over the flap on the felled seam is listed as optional.

What is the disadvantage of stopping at step 2? Obviously, the flap would be on the underside of the tarp. Aesthetically, step 3 would look better, but you also have another row of stitches on your ridgeline that you need to seal.

What would a new seamster do?

GadgetUK437
09-10-2016, 00:17
All the tension will be on one line of stiches. Step 3 will give 2 lines of stiches to take the load.
Seam sealing two lines of stiches less than half an inch apart, we'll be no harder than sealing one.

--
Gadget

XJ35S
09-10-2016, 11:42
I tried both. So worth the 3rd stitch. Much stronger.

No-sage
09-10-2016, 18:08
I stitched the flap down. It wasn't too difficult.

All in all, it came out good (enough). I have to hang it and seam seal. It was a fun project.

Heber Hammock
09-13-2016, 08:58
In the tarp instructions, sewing over the flap on the felled seam is listed as optional.

What is the disadvantage of stopping at step 2? Obviously, the flap would be on the underside of the tarp. Aesthetically, step 3 would look better, but you also have another row of stitches on your ridgeline that you need to seal.

What would a new seamster do?

I included step three when I made mine. I think the sealing would have been a real pain without doing it. With step three, I had a relatively smooth surface to seal. Without it, I would have had the ... ridge? ... hanging down to have to seal. That would have been frustrating, and ugly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

T_Bone
09-19-2016, 08:13
I didn't do step 3 on my hex and it came out fine. Yeah there is a hanging seam on the underside but it sealed great and I haven't had any issue with it yet. Granted I made it only a few weeks ago but is been hung several times and at one point for 3 continuous days.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Bothwell Voyageur
09-19-2016, 08:56
I may be wrong, and often am, but I think the "flap" should be on the outside. Done this way there wouldn't be so much tension trying to pull the stitches apart and would work and look similar to a grosgrain ridge used on some commercial tarps. You could even feed a zing-it or dynaglide ridgeline through the seam from one end to the other to take all the load and stop the tarp from stretching.

ripstopbytheroll
09-19-2016, 12:48
I may be wrong, and often am, but I think the "flap" should be on the outside. Done this way there wouldn't be so much tension trying to pull the stitches apart and would work and look similar to a grosgrain ridge used on some commercial tarps. You could even feed a zing-it or dynaglide ridgeline through the seam from one end to the other to take all the load and stop the tarp from stretching.

Yes. If you aren't going to flat-fell the seam, nipple out.

No-sage
09-21-2016, 16:43
Got a chance to hang it over the weekend.

I had enough extra material to make the pack cover from the kit directions on the website.