PDA

View Full Version : New KNOTLESS ROPE LOCK device

jadekayak
09-10-2016, 00:24
A perfect spring afternoon at Kohimarama beach,New Zealand,to try out my knotless rope lock inspired by the "pirahana" rope lock.

Simple to use,and only 6 grams.

fallkniven
09-10-2016, 07:17
Very intriguing. Reminds me of Dutch's speed hooks. The only thing I don't like about hardware like that, Is making quick minute adjustments are usually a pain, atleast compared to my ucr's. The reason Dutch took the speed hooks off the market, is because there were destroying the amsteel after simple use. How's your line fair with these little doohickeys?

G-Rat
09-10-2016, 11:33
Intriguing. Any more details? Homemade?

Looks more like a Sqwurel (http://bg-gear.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=160) than a Pirana (https://www.petzl.com/US/en/Sport/Belay-devices--descenders/PIRANA#.V9Qz8fkrLIU). I find the Sqwurel offers far better modulation of rappelling friction (not that that's an issue for hammock suspension).

jadekayak
09-11-2016, 04:19
Very intriguing. Reminds me of Dutch's speed hooks. The only thing I don't like about hardware like that, Is making quick minute adjustments are usually a pain, atleast compared to my ucr's. The reason Dutch took the speed hooks off the market, is because there were destroying the amsteel after simple use. How's your line fair with these little doohickeys?

I have no problem with all my gadgets as I round over all the edges by hand.
I tried UCR's instead of whoopies but didn't like the length on either for the non adjustable sections.

The hammock is 11' long and another foot of non adjustable length on each end made it to difficult to find good spots.

I miss the minute adjustment but does an extra inch of line really make that much difference?

Intriguing. Any more details? Homemade?

Looks more like a Sqwurel than a Pirana. I find the Sqwurel offers far better modulation of rappelling friction (not that that's an issue for hammock suspension).

The principle of the pirhana or snappa line lock is what was used.

I've got the one large ring for the larkshead and bitter end to go through and the standing end clips over/under the loops on the shaft to hold them in place.

The notches were used to make the line adjustment quicker than holes and the shaft length/wraps is what does all the real "holding" work,a bit like a descender ring with multiple wraps.

This one is the shortest one so far and any shorter won't hold my 126kgs.

Completely hand made from 316l stainless.

I've got about 30 little devices now-all slight adaptions of the one before.

My favourite ones are the 3 hole versions but they are much slower to use(much safer too)

I'll check out the squrwal-never heard of them