PDA

View Full Version : Lake Superior Provincial Park

michiganhike
09-11-2016, 11:12
Heading to do the Coastal trail in Lake Superior Provincial Park in a couple weeks. Can anyone offer any advice on campsites or must see sites? Thanks in advance.

Redoleary
09-11-2016, 11:52
I am no help. I hiked this about 12 yrs ago, I don't remember exactly where I started but it was the south end and hiked north to Gargantua Road and got a shuttle back to my car. In fact I was just wearing the t-shirt I got from that trip the other day. :)
Long story short I was a ground pounder at the time so really wasn't looking at trees but I wouldn't sweat it in a hammock. Some bits are hard to follow the trail b/c its just barren rock and the cairns were at times hard to see.... that might have gotten better in the last 12 years. Good luck and enjoy the hike.

michiganhike
09-12-2016, 14:28
Thanks for responding. How was the trail for difficulty? I have read a couple places that you should plan on making half your normal pace, does this sound right to you?

Redoleary
09-12-2016, 17:18
Thanks for responding. How was the trail for difficulty? I have read a couple places that you should plan on making half your normal pace, does this sound right to you?

I do recall some small bits here and there that were exposed and the rock was slippery when wet but beyond that I don't remember being slowed down noticeably by anything.

michigandave
09-12-2016, 19:56
Hey, michiganhike! I like your name. My buddy and I have looked at doing this trail, but honestly, it seemed a bit of a mystery due to info available. Looking forward to seeing how the trip turn out for you I did find this recent video that may be of help:

https://youtu.be/GuAe0GBmlwk

michiganhike
09-12-2016, 20:26
Thanks Michigandave, I'll be sure to report back on how it goes.

Redoleary
09-13-2016, 04:20
I might add that I also did a short section in 2007 from Gargantua Rd. up the the Devils Chair, where upon I got engaged, so the that area is special to me.. probably need to go back and revisit.

Billcole
09-14-2016, 18:19
Looking at doing this trail soon myself, any suggestions would be great.