PDA

View Full Version : Titanium Nail Pegs

gunn parker
06-12-2007, 21:12
Hi All
I am looking into getting some Titanium Nail Pegs, Like This (http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?productId=47799486&storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&color=TITANIUM&img=/media/709914_2659Lrg.jpg&view=large). Can anyone recommend a place where the pricing is good and may ship to Australia. or does anyone have any they would like to part with :)
Thanks
Andrew

blackbishop351
06-12-2007, 21:13
Will REI not ship to Oz? If not, I'm sure someone would be willing to buy some for you and then send them along...

FanaticFringer
06-12-2007, 21:22
Do a Google for best pricing. Here is one source:
www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/Stakes.htm

I prefer these stakes. They are pretty popular:
www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?productId=12276843&storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&color=RED&img=/media/682543Lrg.jpg&view=large
www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=21261973&memberId=12500226&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1

gunn parker
06-12-2007, 21:34
Do a Google for best pricing. Here is one source:
www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/Stakes.htm

I prefer these stakes. They are pretty popular:
www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?productId=12276843&storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&color=RED&img=/media/682543Lrg.jpg&view=large
www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=21261973&memberId=12500226&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1

Hi
I did find the Jack are better ones and they are as are the other Ground hog ones aluminum, do you find these ok? or is better to get the titanium ones?
Thanks
Andrew

FanaticFringer
06-12-2007, 21:47
Hi
I did find the Jack are better ones and they are as are the other Ground hog ones aluminum, do you find these ok? or is better to get the titanium ones?
Thanks
Andrew

Dont know much about titanium stakes other than I've read they bend easy and are a bit pricey. This may be an even better deal on stakes than the Groundhogs. Lighter and cheaper:
www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=38218460&memberId=12500226&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1

FanaticFringer
06-12-2007, 21:51
www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22026&highlight=tent+stakes

angrysparrow
06-12-2007, 21:52
Dont know much about titanium stakes other than I've read they bend easy and are a bit pricey.

I can't speak for all stakes, but I own a set of the very ones that gunn parker linked to, and they are practically indestructible. I've hammered them into very rocky and tough soil without any visible damage at all. I can't say the same for the aluminum ones I've tried in the past, but I'm not familiar with the Ground Hog ones.

blackbishop351
06-12-2007, 22:03
That's the first I've heard about titanium stakes bending. I've had aluminum stakes bend like crazy, but I've driven my Groundhogs into my compacted gravel/soil driveway with a hammer and they've barely even had dents afterwards.

GrizzlyAdams
06-12-2007, 22:31
I carry the Eastman aluminum pegs (pointed to the in the whiteblaze post that FanaticFringer linked to) when I'm not in rock country, and titanium when I am.

I've bent an Eastman, driving it into a buried rock.

I like buying from the backpackinglight.com site. I think the titanium spikes I have are these (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/lazr_ultralight_titanium_tent_stakes.html). Not nails. I have to get them out of the ground sometimes by looping a bit of cord around the hook and pulling hard.

BPL also sell these (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/lazr_hivis_ti_nail_stake.html) that resemble the nails you pointed to.

Grizz

Ewker
06-12-2007, 22:59
go buy some 6" long aluminum gutter nails. They are cheap and weigh next to nothing

angrysparrow
06-12-2007, 23:02
go buy some 6" long aluminum gutter nails. They are cheap and weigh next to nothing

They are cheap and light, but they bend quite easily. I used those for a long time, but got tired of incessantly replacing/straightening them and invested in a good set of durable stakes. Some gear is worth paying a premium for. JMO

headchange4u
06-13-2007, 08:16
I really like the "V" shaped small aluminum stakes. They are light and will go through almost anything. I have some aluminum "nail" type stakes and they bend very easily. I have been using the same set of "V" stakes for a while now and there is no visible damage except for some scuffs and scratches. I have hammered them through what felt like solid rock several times. The "V" shape also give them great holding power. I just can't see spending the money for the titanium stakes.

The ones I use are pretty small, 6-8" I think, and I only paid like $1 each at my outfitters. They only downside it that they tend to collect dirt in the "V" section. I firm whack against a rock will take care of that most of the time.

blackbishop351
06-13-2007, 08:20
I really like the "V" shaped small aluminum stakes. They are light and will go through almost anything. I have some aluminum "nail" type stakes and they bend very easily. I have been using the same set of "V" stakes for a while now and there is no visible damage except for some scuffs and scratches. I have hammered them through what felt like solid rock several times. The "V" shape also give them great holding power. I just can't see spending the money for the titanium stakes.

The ones I use are pretty small, 6-8" I think, and I only paid like $1 each at my outfitters. They only downside it that they tend to collect dirt in the "V" section. I firm whack against a rock will take care of that most of the time.

That's pretty much the same idea as my Groundhogs...which, by the way, are only $2 or so at my REI store. Not bad for titanium. And I know they'll last pretty much forever. Interesting you haven't bent your aluminum ones - I've never had a set last me more than 3 or 4 uses.

angrysparrow
06-13-2007, 08:25
That's pretty much the same idea as my Groundhogs...which, by the way, are only $2 or so at my REI store. Not bad for titanium.

Groundhogs (http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?productId=12276843&storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&langId=-1) are aluminum, no?

blackbishop351
06-13-2007, 09:03
Hmm...I thought they were titanium. Maybe I'm wrong, unless they make them in aluminum too...

angrysparrow
06-13-2007, 09:12
Hmm...I thought they were titanium. Maybe I'm wrong, unless they make them in aluminum too...

Maybe they used to make titanium ones. Currently all the ones listed on MSR's website (http://www.msrcorp.com/tents/accessories.asp) are aluminum.

blackbishop351
06-13-2007, 09:34
Maybe they used to make titanium ones. Currently all the ones listed on MSR's website (http://www.msrcorp.com/tents/accessories.asp) are aluminum.

I bought these at REI less than a year ago, so I guess they're aluminum. Interesting. No wonder they were so cheap! :p Really light and DURABLE though, so no worries!

Hooch
06-13-2007, 09:35
I've never had a set last me more than 3 or 4 uses. Guess you have now. :p Seriously, though, the last time I was in Charlotte, I got a few Groundhogs @ REI as well. I used them on the one night of my ill-fated AT section hike and they seemed to work well. I had no problem getting them in the ground @ Groundhog Creek Shelter at all.

Ewker
06-13-2007, 09:40
They are cheap and light, but they bend quite easily. I used those for a long time, but got tired of incessantly replacing/straightening them and invested in a good set of durable stakes. Some gear is worth paying a premium for. JMO

I have used the aluminum gutter nails for yrs with no problems..maybe you have a heavy foot :p

angrysparrow
06-13-2007, 09:43
I have used the aluminum gutter nails for yrs with no problems..maybe you have a heavy foot :p

Maybe, but now I've got some good stakes that don't bend, so I'm satisfied. :rolleyes:

Hooch
06-13-2007, 09:45
Maybe, but now I've got some good stakes that don't bend, so I'm satisfied. :rolleyes:
You mean haven't bent yet, don't you? :p

Ewker
06-13-2007, 09:48
I have had the Kelty nobendium stakes bend. I sent them back and got new ones only to have them bend again.

The groundhog stakes (red ones) that was mentioned above is probably one of the better stakes for not bending.

Hooch
06-13-2007, 09:50
The groundhog stakes (red ones) that was mentioned above is probably one of the better stakes for not bending. That's actually very reassuring, Ewker, thanks. $12 well invested. :D

angrysparrow
06-13-2007, 09:54
You mean haven't bent yet, don't you? :p

:)

If they were going to bend, i think it would have already happened. I've taken special care to abuse them. :eek:

headchange4u
06-13-2007, 09:56
That's pretty much the same idea as my Groundhogs...which, by the way, are only $2 or so at my REI store. Not bad for titanium. And I know they'll last pretty much forever. Interesting you haven't bent your aluminum ones - I've never had a set last me more than 3 or 4 uses.

From looking at the picture of the Groundhog stakes, they look just like mine except mine are blue and they don't have that piece of line on them, but other than that they look the same.

EDIT:
I did a little searching and it seems I am using the Sierra Designs Y-peg (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39199585&memberId=12500226&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1).

Ewker
06-13-2007, 09:59
I got 6 free one yr as a Christmas ornament. If you wrap a silver pipe cleaner around them you can use it to decorate your Christmas Tree like an icicle.

sk8rs_dad
06-13-2007, 10:20
The Scout Shop (http://scouts.ca/inside.asp?cmPageID=236) sells something like the groundhogs, in aluminum for $1 CAD each.

txulrich
06-13-2007, 10:53
I got an REI gift card recently and bought the titanium nails mentioned in the first message. Prolly wouldn't have bought them with my own, hard earned cash. I've used them once (pretty rocky soil) with no evidence of damage.

TeeDee
06-13-2007, 12:07
The titanium nail pegs are very good - durable. You really only need one or 2 and then another Ti or Al stake. If the ground is really hard or rocky, just pound the Ti nail into the ground and immediately extract. Then push the smaller Ti or Al peg in the hole. Saves abusing the smaller stakes.

Coffee
06-13-2007, 12:44
Looks like the golite Y stakes I use. Same concept on all of them. A Y shape for strength. I only had issues when I hammered them into the ground last winter for my sub-zero hang. I broke one of them when I tried to pull it out (with pliers). After that I left them in until the snow melted. No signs of rust after a few weeks in the ground though.

slowhike
06-13-2007, 13:09
Looks like the golite Y stakes I use. Same concept on all of them. A Y shape for strength. I only had issues when I hammered them into the ground last winter for my sub-zero hang. I broke one of them when I tried to pull it out (with pliers). After that I left them in until the snow melted. No signs of rust after a few weeks in the ground though.

you did a sub-zero hang? i missed that one<g>.

Coffee
06-13-2007, 13:26
you did a sub-zero hang? i missed that one<g>.

I posted something about that in Jan or Feb. I felt bad after missing Mt Rogers and had to catch up with everyone. My thermometer read below 0 with the news saying the wind chill was something like -10. Good to know that I can make it that low and still be comfy with my normal winter setup.

slowhike
06-13-2007, 13:39
I posted something about that in Jan or Feb. I felt bad after missing Mt Rogers and had to catch up with everyone. My thermometer read below 0 with the news saying the wind chill was something like -10. Good to know that I can make it that low and still be comfy with my normal winter setup.

that's doing pretty well! i'll have to go back & read that report. i musta read it first time before my coffee kicked in<g>.
what was the title of that thread?

Coffee
06-13-2007, 13:52
that's doing pretty well! i'll have to go back & read that report. i musta read it first time before my coffee kicked in<g>.
what was the title of that thread?

Here (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=553) is a thread where I talked about it with condensation issues. My memory was a little off. It was only 4 deg with a wind chill of -7.:rolleyes: I think after a certain temp, all it is is very cold.

slowhike
06-13-2007, 14:00
Here (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=553) is a thread where I talked about it with condensation issues. My memory was a little off. It was only 4 deg with a wind chill of -7.:rolleyes: I think after a certain temp, all it is is very cold.

oh, i see... only 4°f. and i thought you said it was cold:confused:
yeah, you're right... at some point, it's just very, very cold<g>.

NCPatrick
06-13-2007, 14:23

I broke one of those too, at Mt. Rogers (not sub-zero). It broke as I tried to pull it out of the ground. I kicked at it to loosen it up, and it broke off at the ground level. The rest of the stakes came out ok, and the Outfitter I bought the stakes from replaced the stake for free.

skar578
10-01-2007, 18:07
I plan on getting ti v stakes (if money allows) or just regular vargo ti stakes at ems.

kohburn
10-18-2007, 10:19
i love my groundhog stakes. best i've ever owned.

Quoddy
10-18-2007, 11:33
I use Hilleberg Stingers, which are titanium nails. Great pegs in frozen or very hard, rocky ground. Wheneven I use them I figure on grabbibg a good sized rock and pounding them in. Never had one bend yet.