PDA

View Full Version : Bryan/College Station

Txscout
09-25-2016, 22:37
Anyone know a good place in/near Bryan/College Station I could go hang for the weekend? I have an open weekend this week and would like to get out of the dorms without being too far away.
Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

UncleMJM
09-26-2016, 06:13
Howdy Txscout!

When I shoot out of Aggieland for a weekend outing, I typically go to a state park for car camping or the Sam Houston National Forest for backpacking.

Lake Somerville State Park is a short drive but with recent flooding, I'd call the park or look at the website first to check on availability. A little more of a drive but good place to hang in the "water only" area is Fort Parker State Park, and a bit more to the north is Fairfield Lake State Park, my personal favorite and the site of our big annual Fall Texas Hang in November. Each of these places have plenty of trees and hanging possibilities at a number of their sites and from my experience been quite hammock friendly.

For backpacking, and some car camping, The Lone Star Hiking Trail website can give you good info on places in the Sam Houston National Forest. Off trail camping is my favorite as you can hike until you feel like camping and set up anywhere within a certain distance from the trail that I don't recall right this moment. Special rules apply during hunting season that limits the off trail camping so be sure to read about designated hunter camp sites.

For more Texas specific outings, if you haven't already joined the Facebook page in my signature line, it's another info source that may be of help.