PDA

View Full Version : Tarp Review UGQ Winter Dream 13

winterbeard
10-02-2016, 22:15
UGQ Winter Dream 13' Tarp Review

10/1/2016
After notification, my new Syl/nylon tarp was received in less than three days.
Excellent packing, excellent stitch work.
Well thought-out design, on the double interior pole-mod. My super fly tarp is dwarfed by this thing.
The winter dream looked like your typical A shape, until PioneerPatti helped me slip the 11' mod poles into the little corner sockets, and connect the stretch / secure cords.
Selected two trees, fifteen feet apart.
I made the mistake of setting the CRL line up around 7 or 8 feet high. This didn't seem bad, until the two long poles were connected. Then it became a hip-high parasail looking arrangement. Woopsie! Let's bring that thing down to earth a bit... 'Bout head high.
Now it stakes down, a bit easier, as well. Hahaha.
Paul had communicated with me about NOT doing custom Velcro on the doors. He said the Velcro usually picks up a lot of dirt and debris. He told me there were snaps on the doors. I'm thinking he meant one, maybe two big ugly metal snaps at the bottom. Nope. He had fitted each end with 6 or 8 tidy looking small black click snaps. These work fantastically, and give you various options concerning where the hammock lines lead inside, as well as insuring privacy, and sealing out all the high winds, which on this day, tended to blow things about.
As I mentioned, the tarp has now taken on an entirely new look... The two interior poles have created a rather rotund barrel shape, in the center of the erected tarp. It looks nothing like the old boy-scout-A-shaped tent, from days gone by. Instead, this large rounded olive creature has invaded my yard. This gave me pause, for a moment, until I turned my attention to the new interior.
One word is appropriate, at this point: WOW !
You can almost swing a baseball bat inside here!
I asked PioneerPatti to help me move the Ridgerunner into the Winterdream. She asked, "what for?"
"I want to see if it fits."
"You wanna see if it fits?!?
Your whole other TARP will fit inside... You could probably fit a car inside, if you tried! I have baking to do... I'm going back in the house, now".
Undaunted by my helpmate's lack of enthusiasm, I went about switching things, on my own.
I set a plastic chair inside to hold things off the ground, while I moved the whole hammock from the old home to the new. Wow, there's even room for the chair to stay!" I thought to myself. Why, even Shug might indulge a covetous thought, with THIS one...
The proof is in the sleeping, I suppose.
All night long, there was moderate rainfall, right until 7 AM. What a great sleep! The rain resonated beautifully, on the taut fabric. All snaps held, securely, and my camp chair was still dry, inside, along with the rest of me.
With no ridge line as part of my bridge hammock, I had actually considered asking Paul to sew a couple grosgrain ceiling loops, inside, for hanging a Luci Light, but now, that wasn't necessary. Turns out, the two mod pole hoops hug the ceiling in just the right spots to suspend a reading light, or even a light gear pouch from. Hmm... This paints a few new possibilities, I suppose.
The one bit of custom work I did request was to have triple tie-outs, on the bottom edges for each side, instead of just two bottom tie-outs.
This may be a benefit with higher winds, and the longer length fabric. Time will tell.
All in all, I give the UGQ tarp some pretty high marks. Thank you Paul and Missy. The attention to detail did not go unnoticed.
The stitch work, all around, is top notch. The snaps seemed very sturdy.
It just swallowed up my Ridgerunner hammock in one bite...
and the pole mod was much easier to understand, once the tarp was staked in front of me.
(Somehow, Paul's little drawn illustration wasn't easily understood, until I stared at 20 or 30 actual photos, trying to discern the pole placement...)
In addition, my Mrs. really likes the roomy privacy it affords. It wouldn't surprise me to see it on her Christmas wish list, possibly in the bright blue she prefers.
One other thing I might need to confess, is that I asked her for her opinion when I was looking at colors...
I really liked the camos; especially the Marpat pattern.
I said "Honey. Would you rather be looking at a camo fabric, or a solid color, when we hike together?"
Her response was "a solid color".
That's why the dark olive fabric.

Happy wife - Happy life.

Ted. (winterbeard)

Mahwedge...
A bwessed awangement...
A dweam within a dweam...

Dead Man
10-03-2016, 04:48
Pictures or it didn't happen. :shades:

Afterparty
10-03-2016, 05:21
Sounds dreamy but I gotta agree

cneill13
10-03-2016, 05:48
All those words and not a single picture?

Wasted space.

monkeynono
10-03-2016, 06:06
Yeah, I think one of these is on my short list.

BigE94
10-03-2016, 06:44
Just can't visualize that... NEED PICS!!! 😀

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

winterbeard
10-03-2016, 08:05
Pictures or it didn't happen. :shades:

You got it. The MAHHA is this weekend. I'll get you some pics.

winterbeard
10-03-2016, 17:56

A couple shots of the WD 13.
Paul did a nice job on the seam sealer, too. Saves me a bit of work.

cneill13
10-03-2016, 18:48
Now your talking!!! Nice pics

Timberrr
10-03-2016, 19:03
Excellent! I just ordered a Marpat WD13 on Massdrop. Now I'm really psyched!!

ninjahamockman
10-03-2016, 21:50
Excellent! I just ordered a Marpat WD13 on Massdrop. Now I'm really psyched!!

I have the exact same tarp. Dude it is one sick tarp man I love mine. I wish I could get out more to use it. But yeah holy cow its an awesome tarp. I also have it all dutched out mine is sil poly.

Dead Man
10-04-2016, 04:47

A couple shots of the WD 13.
Paul did a nice job on the seam sealer, too. Saves me a bit of work.

That's not a tarp, it's a Conastoga wagon.... Great looking tarp. I totally get the infatuation. :shades:

winterbeard
10-04-2016, 08:04
That's not a tarp, it's a Conastoga wagon.... Great looking tarp. I totally get the infatuation. :shades:

That's about right, Daddy.
I changed my profile to reflect your new tarp name.
Very catchy... thanks.
Ted

"You're off to great places,
Today is your day!
Your mountain is waiting,
So... Get on your way !"

Minuteman
11-20-2016, 17:49
"WinterBeard"
Can you tell me what color you ordered.
Thanks.

mcody
11-20-2016, 20:04
Hi winterbeard- why did you opt for the 13' and how much extra room
Vs weight does it offer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

winterbeard
11-22-2016, 23:35
"WinterBeard"
Can you tell me what color you ordered.
Thanks.

I got the dark olive. My Mrs. Says she wants the Charcoal Gray one, for Christmas. Ho, ho, ho!

"Mahwedge...
A bwessed awangement...
A dweam within a dweam..."

winterbeard
11-22-2016, 23:48
Hi winterbeard- why did you opt for the 13' and how much extra room
Vs weight does it offer?

Hi, Mcody.
I picked the 13' cause I'm more of a comfort weenie, than a gram weenie. The Superfly tarp I got with my black bird hammock was maybe 4 or 5 ounces lighter, not including the poles. When my wife and I Upgraded to bridge hammocks, I found the support ends sticking out of the superfly a bit. The new Winter Dream more completely encloses the ridgerunner. Better for wet weather, in my mind. Happy Thanksgiving!
Ted

"Mahwedge...
A bwessed awangement...

Minuteman
11-23-2016, 03:32
[QUOTE=winterbeard;1706773]141127

I got the dark olive. My Mrs. Says she wants the Charcoal Gray one, for Christmas. Ho, ho, ho!

Looks great, thanks.

Billmichhiker
11-24-2016, 13:35
I have the same tarp ... really like it.
I am going to make poles for it ... how long are the poles u use on the inside?

sprout703
11-24-2016, 19:43
I have the same tarp ... really like it.
I am going to make poles for it ... how long are the poles u use on the inside?

I think the end poles are 132"

winterbeard
11-25-2016, 22:36
I thought I recalled them being right around 11'. If I get the pack out, I will measure them, maybe tomorrow.

"Mahwedge...
A bwessed awangement...

keith
11-26-2016, 07:49
Awesome review. thanks
I just ordered WD13

Billmichhiker
11-26-2016, 08:12
Thanks for info on pole length

winterbeard
11-28-2016, 22:23
Thanks for info on pole length

Measured the mod pole right at 133. 1/2 " long.
Regards, Ted

"Mahwedge...
A bwessed awangement...

drsolarmolar
11-28-2016, 22:42
Nice review. Been looking at the 11' UGQ WD vs the Superfly. Thoughts?

skyjacker
11-28-2016, 23:29

For a Ridgerunner, I would recommend the 13 ft UGQ WD? For a gathered end hammock it depends. They are the same width. The WD comes in 1.1 SilNylon, 1.1 and 0.9 SilPoly. The Superfly comes in 1.1 SilNylon. The SilNylon on the Superfly is 30D and has a static head of 2000 mm. The WD SilNylon is 20D and has a static head of 1500 mm. If you get SilNylon I would get the Superfly, it's cheaper and has a tougher more waterproof fabric for the same weight.

drsolarmolar
11-28-2016, 23:32
I should have clarified. I was thinking about it for a Warbonnet Blackbird XLC. I kind of like the snaps idea for the doors.

skyjacker
11-29-2016, 00:05
I should have clarified. I was thinking about it for a Warbonnet Blackbird XLC. I kind of like the snaps idea for the doors.

Ah I see. Both are great tarps. I bought a snap kit (https://www.makeyourgear.com/tools-and-repair/kam-snap-pliers/) to add snaps to whatever I want. Also, WB is releasing a new camo pattern for the Superfly in a couple weeks. If you're into camo you may want to wait, it might sway your decision.

winterbeard
11-29-2016, 08:46
Ah I see. Both are great tarps. I bought a snap kit (https://www.makeyourgear.com/tools-and-repair/kam-snap-pliers/) to add snaps to whatever I want. Also, WB is releasing a new camo pattern for the Superfly in a couple weeks. If you're into camo you may want to wait, it might sway your decision.

I concur. I own both. They are both great tarps. I'm thinking of listing my year old superfly, though, cause it's just not a match for my Ridgerunner, like the longer 13' Winter Dream. However, it performed very well, for the WB blackbird XLC, I originally bought it for.

Skyjacker, you've piqued my interest, with the idea of those cam snaps... Might have to put that on a diy Christmas wish list.

"Mahwedge...
A bwessed awangement...
A dweam within a dweam...

skyjacker
11-29-2016, 08:57
The snap kit is very easy to operate. You poke a hole with the included awl, place a male on one die and a female on the other and press them together. Easy Peasy!

Zilla
11-30-2016, 00:08

Kinda bad form to suggest another venders product in a review thread of another vender!, this would be abit more proper to have been sent via pm.
It's just improper to suggest a warbonnet tarp to someone in a UGQ tarp review thread..:scared:

skyjacker
11-30-2016, 02:00
Kinda bad form to suggest another venders product in a review thread of another vender!, this would be abit more proper to have been sent via pm.
It's just improper to suggest a warbonnet tarp to someone in a UGQ tarp review thread..:scared:

I was not the first to mention a WB tarp. I was responding to this ...

Warbonnet mentioned this in another thread (https://hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/131852-Should-I-just-give-up-waiting-for-the-new-camo-superfly?p=1708930&viewfull=1#post1708930). I was simply sharing the information. If winterbeard, drsolarmolar, WB, or UGQ believes this to be "bad form" ... I apologize.

winterbeard
11-30-2016, 18:42
I was not the first to mention a WB tarp. I was responding to this ...

Warbonnet mentioned this in another thread (https://hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/131852-Should-I-just-give-up-waiting-for-the-new-camo-superfly?p=1708930&viewfull=1#post1708930). I was simply sharing the information. If winterbeard, drsolarmolar, WB, or UGQ believes this to be "bad form" ... I apologize.

No worries.
I'm afraid I get off topic too easily, myself.

"Mahwedge...
A bwessed awangement..."

winterbeard
12-31-2016, 23:33
...This is the 13' length.
Poles pack from 133 1/2" down to about 20"

The 13' tarp is right at 32 ounces. About 16 oz more for the mod poles...

"What's the best gift you can give a kid?
Happily married parents!"

LuvmyBonnet
01-06-2017, 18:30
Thanks for the review! Helps me with some decisions.
I was looking for a tarp for my Ridge Runner. I was debating between 12ft and 13ft. I think I'll go 13. I do want the pole mod as well.
Now I just need to decide on the MARPAT or the membrane .93

sprout703
01-06-2017, 22:29
Thanks for the review! Helps me with some decisions.
I was looking for a tarp for my Ridge Runner. I was debating between 12ft and 13ft. I think I'll go 13. I do want the pole mod as well.
Now I just need to decide on the MARPAT or the membrane .93

I went with the 13' winter dream with the end pole mod and 4 pullouts just in case. Just got done seam sealing it after getting some advice from UGQ's own Paul. I am super happy with my choice and even happier with the service and quality Paul and Missy continue to put out.

winterbeard
01-07-2017, 07:18
I'll put the you tube link for the video of the Pole-Mod.
https://youtu.be/64PYY5VkJQ0

Always nicer when you can see the actual set-up.
Ted

"What's the best gift you can give a kid?
Happily married parents!"

DuctTapeMessiah
01-18-2017, 20:12
What's everyone experience with finding suitable trees to support a 13 ft hammock and an 11 foot hammock? I hear a lot of people talk about the constraints a 12ft and 13ft tarp puts on being able to find the right hang angle.

winterbeard
02-20-2017, 23:04
What's everyone experience with finding suitable trees to support a 13 ft hammock and an 11 foot hammock? I hear a lot of people talk about the constraints a 12ft and 13ft tarp puts on being able to find the right hang angle.

from my camping / hiking experience, NJ, PA, NY, VT, VA, MD, WV, TN, and KY all seem to have plenty
of suitable trees to select from. Just thinking out loud, but you might want to start a separate thread if you need more of a forum response.