PDA

View Full Version : Easy source for winter hoods - old coats

Just Jeff
12-22-2009, 08:27
Ever try sleeping at 20F in a 20F quilt with only a fleece beanie on your head? Not cool. Cold, but not cool...and possibly the reason some folks think 20F quilts are too optimistic in their ratings. For winter quilts, you need more than a simple beanie or balaclava on your head.

JRB hoods are luxurious in their warmth, and lots of folks are happy with the BPL Cocoon series. They're also more than a lot of folks choose to pay. Or maybe you're just the DIY type and want to scrounge or make your own, b/c of the challenge of it.

I was in REI two days ago and saw a great solution...removable hoods from their winter jackets. Warm enough, perfectly shaped (within reason), and readily available to sleep in. But this got me thinking of all the winter coats at Goodwills, Salvation Army stores, thrift shops, etc. Lots of hoods could be cut off and hemmed to make a perfect sleeping hood for winter hammocking with a quilt.

Could probably do the same with a good sleeping bag hood.

Anyone tried this already?

angrysparrow
12-22-2009, 08:50
Cold, but not cool...and possibly the reason some folks think 20F quilts are too optimistic in their ratings. For winter quilts, you need more than a simple beanie or balaclava on your head.

I don't have any hood-sourcing suggestions, but I'll second your thought that a hood isn't optional gear to get the full rating out of a winter quilt.

In particular, the GoLite Ultra20 is often said to be optimistic in it's rating. Yet, I've had mine to 20ºF on two separate occasions while wearing a JRB hood. And I consider myself an 'average' warmth sleeper.

Just Jeff
12-22-2009, 08:53
Yeah - that's the main one I had in mind.

southmark
12-22-2009, 09:58
I finally got a JRB hood and it was amazing how much warmer my GoLite Ultra20 became.

gargoyle
12-22-2009, 13:31
http://www.joesarmynavyonline.com/catalog/MH102.jpg

JJ, I think something like this would be easy enough to find at a goodwill or salvation army store for cheap, in the coat dept. A little diy stitchery, and it would be something worn at day or night. I like the fact that you get some shoulder coverage, and the straps will keep it in place. Or make the whole thing from scratch.

Sorta a twist on the 2/3 uq, it could be called the 1/3 coat/hood.:rolleyes:

oldgringo
12-22-2009, 13:43
http://www.joesarmynavyonline.com/catalog/MH102.jpg

JJ, I think something like this would be easy enough to find at a goodwill or salvation army store for cheap, in the coat dept. A little diy stitchery, and it would be something worn at day or night. I like the fact that you get some shoulder coverage, and the straps will keep it in place. Or make the whole thing from scratch.

Sorta a twist on the 2/3 uq, it could be called the 1/3 coat/hood.:rolleyes:

I still have one of those that was issued to me when I was flying off of icebreakers.

Take-a-knee
12-22-2009, 13:52
Ever try sleeping at 20F in a 20F quilt with only a fleece beanie on your head? Not cool. Cold, but not cool...and possibly the reason some folks think 20F quilts are too optimistic in their ratings. For winter quilts, you need more than a simple beanie or balaclava on your head.

JRB hoods are luxurious in their warmth, and lots of folks are happy with the BPL Cocoon series. They're also more than a lot of folks choose to pay. Or maybe you're just the DIY type and want to scrounge or make your own, b/c of the challenge of it.

I was in REI two days ago and saw a great solution...removable hoods from their winter jackets. Warm enough, perfectly shaped (within reason), and readily available to sleep in. But this got me thinking of all the winter coats at Goodwills, Salvation Army stores, thrift shops, etc. Lots of hoods could be cut off and hemmed to make a perfect sleeping hood for winter hammocking with a quilt.

Could probably do the same with a good sleeping bag hood.

Anyone tried this already?

Nonsense, just get a JRB Hood, best money you'll ever spend if you intend to hammock in below freezing conditions. It's cost is inconsequential compared to the rest of a good cold/cool weather hammock setup. Also, order the FREE collar mod kit with the Hood and sew it to your down vest.

I ordered a Golite Cirrus down vest for $75, and last year I ordered a JRB Hood and down sleeves during their fall sale. Less money than a Western Mountaineering/Montbell hooded jacket at about the same weight/warmth with LOTS more versatility.

vitamaltz
12-22-2009, 14:04
The JRB hoods look to be top-notch, but there's still often more than one way to solve a problem. I like this idea.

In general, thrift stores can yield amazing finds. I was really thankful for my thin lightly insulated ski pants this morning as I skied down the Blue Ridge Parkway. I picked them up for $2 a few years ago at a thrift store and they're one of my best pieces of gear.

TiredFeet
12-22-2009, 16:14
I have a down parka that I got from a Sears discount outlet back in 1988. It has a removable hood. Been using the hood separately as you describe for many happy and warm years.

The parka is extremely warm, but huge. Because of the size I have not been able to use the parka backpacking, but have been using the hood alone since I got it. Now that I have the Dixon Roller Pack, I can also use the parka with the hood while hiking. Been toying with the idea of rigging the parka as a 3/4 under quilt for the Bridge. Double duty.