PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in Michigan?

Trooper
12-22-2009, 21:18
I checked the map and found the hammock community to be under represented in Michigan (three people). I'm sure this is because the map doesn't have all the members on it. I'm about to make a move to Detroit, and hoping that someone can point out a couple of trees for me to hang from up there...

gargoyle
12-23-2009, 08:34
Howdy and welcome to Michigan. Theres more folks here than three, but barely.:D Check all the pages of the map, there are three pages, we don't show up on all the maps.

Me
Barefoot Child
canoebie
Darrell
stonehooligan
ih8mice
poker88
Opie
Redoleary

Just to name a few. BC and I have been talking about doing a get together in Jan or Feb, just for a show and tell, maybe over nighter. Let me know if your interested.

As far as places to hang on the Detroit side, I'm not familiar with that area much. Closer to me, I've got lots of good areas to hang. State Parks and Recreation areas, some private land. The whole coastline of Lake Michigan is good. I've been up in the "thumb-area" camping and its pretty nice up there. The Great Lakes are awesome and views are grand.

Maps and info (http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10365---,00.html) to Michigan. Click on the maps and then click on the area your interested in. Looks like lots of areas, but I'm not familiar with 'em.

Arson
12-23-2009, 10:01
hoping that someone can point out a couple of trees for me to hang from up there...

The Manistee River trail has a couple of trees. Real nice trees.

Stone
12-23-2009, 10:26
The Manistee River trail has a couple of trees. Real nice trees.

+1, had my first "real" hang there

Here are a couple of pics. 1st is on the NCST side, and the second on MRT side...

canoebie
12-23-2009, 10:28
I would also put in a plug for the Manistee area. The North Country Trail follows the Manistee. There are numerous places in the thumb, the lake shore is beautiful. Michigan is full of trees and water.

Metro Detroit and Grand Rapids have the vast majority of the population, the rest of the state is sparsely populated and there are numerous state forests and the NCT goes through the state.

I go up to the Manistee, Cadillac, Traverse City area 10-12 times a year. My second home. Welcome, to HF and "Pure Michigan."

Trooper
12-23-2009, 14:42
I doubt that I'll make it until late March or early April, so I'll have to miss the group hang. If all goes well, I'm planning on finding a much smaller house than I presently have, which will give me some extra cash to find some wooded land. It all depends on what the housing market is in Alabama...I wonder if I could put 2 acres with lots of hammock-ready trees in the "For Sale" forum!

BigJim
12-23-2009, 20:01
Hello I new to the forum and the internet for that matter. But I have lived in michigan all my life I'm about 2 hours north of detroit. In the thumb of michigan theirs not alot of woods here as their is in the northern part of the lower penn. But their is state forest around here like Verona state game area, Rush lake by caseville, Minden Marsh and State forest by Caro. All are within 2 hours of detroit I'm not sure what the Rules are for camping these areas but i know the dnr do allow camping. I camp mostly posted land. Their is also stone creek park that is heavy wooded not much Knowlage of that area. Hope i helped you out.

Redoleary
12-23-2009, 20:14
Nordhouse dunes wilderness is one of my favorite places to enjoy the great outdoors, its the wrong side of the state for you but a great place to cut your teeth on Michigan. Heaps of trees too!

pegleg56
12-23-2009, 21:00
I can recommend the Manistee River as well, plenty of places to hang. As well as the Porcupine Mountaiins up north. Both places are great.

opie
12-23-2009, 21:05
I much prefer the "other side of the bridge" for camping and such.

I and another group I belong to have a trip planned in late April, Early may on Drummond Island. Hopefully most of the snow will be gone by then.

turk
12-23-2009, 21:08
I am up for a michigan hang if one goes down. You guys are within spitting distance. Easy drive for a weekend trip.

Trooper
12-23-2009, 21:11
I'm glad to see folks coming out of the woodwork. I originally thought the Michigan group hang would be pretty small, even if the Ottawans came across the river!

Big Jim, welcome to the forum!

Rug
12-23-2009, 21:17
If you folks keep it in the south, i can come too!

treehouseguy
12-23-2009, 23:38
I'm from Michigan too! By Cadillac. I'm headed out to the Manistee River Loop - out by Mesick on Monday for a few days... love that area!

If you all come up with a MI hang I'm game.

gargoyle
12-24-2009, 09:04
Turk, you gotta bring the rally car:lol:. Be an honor.
Rug, we can keep it in lower Michigan, maybe get some IN, IL, OH, WI folks in the mix as well.;)

Stone
12-24-2009, 09:48
Gargoyle, I think that you should be the organizer of the first Michigan/Great Lakes Group Hang.

Treehouse, enjoy the NCST/MRT system! Would love to get out there in the winter sometime.

Someone else mentioned Nordhouse Dunes, that it is another great area, there is even a way to link that up with the Ludington State Park trail system, which consists of several miles and the canoe trail around Lower Hamiln lake is nice too.

gargoyle
12-24-2009, 10:29
Nordhouse/Ludington State Park would be awesome.. but I save that for summer, when you can really enjoy the water.

I'd be happy to pull something together, make it an annual thang.

I was thinking of keeping down below Grand Rapids, at a developed site, with amenities (toilets).
Hike in a ways, but not too far for winter camping. Any thoughts or suggestions would be great. Then day hike from there.

Muskegon would be fun too, with the Olympic Luge Run, Cross country trails, but I felt if it gets too far North your gonna loose some participants from the southern states.

BigJim
12-24-2009, 11:33
If I was to pick a forest in the lower penn for a group hang I'd have to pick. Pigeon river country forest by Gaylord,Mi Its closed too only foot traffic. Theirs 20 miles of trails 3 trout streams with abuntant trout. Largest elk herd east of the mississippi. Ernest Hemmingway called the forest "The pine barrens east of Vanderbilt". Its a great place. I prefer the Thumb of michigan for camping though cause there are no BEARS.lol.

canoebie
12-24-2009, 12:01
Lots of options around the Cadillac area as well. A number of State Forest Campgrounds.

Stone
12-24-2009, 12:27
If I was to pick a forest in the lower penn for a group hang I'd have to pick. Pigeon river country forest by Gaylord,Mi Its closed too only foot traffic. Theirs 20 miles of trails 3 trout streams with abuntant trout. Largest elk herd east of the mississippi. Ernest Hemmingway called the forest "The pine barrens east of Vanderbilt". Its a great place. I prefer the Thumb of michigan for camping though cause there are no BEARS.lol.

Have hiked there when I was still a ground dweller, great place! There a million great places to hike and hang in Michigan. I have to agree with Gargoyle on the more southern location, as we will attract more from the states to the south.

And Bears make things interesting....;)

canoebie
12-24-2009, 12:44
Would Yankee Springs SRA have anything to offer?

gargoyle
12-24-2009, 13:30
Would Yankee Springs SRA have anything to offer?

It would , and its in my backyard. Two large established campgrounds, Gun Lake and Deep Lake, respectively. Miles of trails, quite a few lakes, etc. If we go backcountry, we just need to notify the DNR, for a off-trail permit. No big deal and easy to acquire. Fresh water availabilty, and parking. And Bathrooms++.

TZBrown
12-24-2009, 13:56
I also would be interested in the group hang. Brighton rec area or holly rec area are other options also

lonetracker
12-24-2009, 15:14
guess i am the only yooper representative?just about the whole u.p. is forest,millions of trees.overwhelmig acres of state and fed land are availeable.i have camped all over the mid to western u.p.mostly i truck camp on a back road off of a back road.do not go to many campgrounds but have hung at sylvania,craig lake,mccormick,and big island lake wildernesses.lots of awesome camping potential(can we use that word on here,it has that other bad word in it:rolleyes:)up here,if you lowers ever want to get away from the crowds,and don't mind the wolves
hung up
bill

Trooper
12-24-2009, 15:35
I don't want to interfere with anything that Gargoyle is planning for January or February, but what about tentatively planning something for May of 2010? I'm sure that I'd be up there and settled by then as I have 120 days from December 22, 2009 to move.

gargoyle
12-24-2009, 17:11
Trooper, Feel free to plan away, I'm just offering up some suggestions for now, looking for input, etc. I'm always up for a get together. Looking forward to meeting you. As well as the rest of the gang.
LT, the UP is a definite hanging meca, just a really long drive for most.
I thin after the holidays I'll start a poll and see what a good date and place is for all interested.

Rug
12-24-2009, 22:56
Umm, guys I hate sounding like an idiot, but I have never hiked anywhere. I am a bicycling-Camper, car-camper, and RV camper. So a list of suggested reading would be helpful. I don't object to 2-20 miles of hiking to find a spot to hang; but I really don't know what to expect.

(Walking to find my car in the parking lot is about how far i usually walk.)

Trooper
12-25-2009, 00:09
Umm, guys I hate sounding like an idiot, but I have never hiked anywhere. I am a bicycling-Camper, car-camper, and RV camper. So a list of suggested reading would be helpful. I don't object to 2-20 miles of hiking to find a spot to hang; but I really don't know what to expect.

(Walking to find my car in the parking lot is about how far i usually walk.)

No worries. I've never been bicycle camping, but I can't imagine hiking is much different. Try to reduce your pack weight so that you are more comfortable, and if your with friends, everyone can share the load. Here are some videos that show how its done:
Shug's Snowshoe Ramble (http://www.youtube.com/user/shugemery#p/u/40/Q9EaloFyNy4)
Shug's St. Croix Saunter (http://www.youtube.com/user/shugemery#p/u/50/I4iLFdp_aYM)

I get a topographical map and find something that looks interesting that is close to a source of water. I try to make it at least a mile from parking, but not much more(45-90 minute walk), which gets me to a camp site well before dusk. I then set up camp, gather wood, prepare dinner, and enjoy a cigar and some whiskey.

Rug
12-25-2009, 00:37
So i should get a pack?

Would a school backpack work?

Trooper
12-25-2009, 00:46
So i should get a pack?

Would a school backpack work?

I've used a The North Face Wasatch before, which is essentially a school backpack. It isn't big enough for winter camping, but for a couple of days in the summer you'll be fine. I'll send you a PM with what gear I carry-pretty basic stuff.

Rug
12-25-2009, 00:53
This is why I bike-tour. So I don't have to carry stuff. =)

This is my steed:
http://n0spam.mnsi.net/pics/IMAG0033.jpg

I can haul A LOT of gear on here. Too bad it doesn't work good in snow.

Trout
12-25-2009, 04:56
Rug - if you check the REIoulet.com website you can find super cheap backpacks that are very high quality. These backpacks also have the plus of easily being returned if you find the pack uncomfortable. The new packs come in about Feb - Mar and sell for $35 - 50% off. If your a member of REI, in Feb. you get a 20% off coupon that's good even on the clearance stuff. I bought a $200+ pack this year of $89.

The Upper Michigan area is a great hike, just a long drive. I'd be up for one of the Island hikes. Let me know. April I'm setting up a Hoosier hike, but May/June would work.

gargoyle
12-25-2009, 08:02
:laugh:Rug, your crackin me up!!!:lol: That bike is crazy:boggle:

If you head this way, give me a shout.

This (http://www.michigandnr.com/Publications/PDFS/RecreationCamping/yankee_springs_map.pdf) is the area and it has some campgrounds, trails, etc. (you'll have to click the + key to magnify, sorry)

hey Darrell, did you see that bike??

Darrel
12-25-2009, 12:31
hey Darrell, did you see that bike??

Yes, I know them well.;)
The Longbikes are well known and admired in the world of bents.
Mine were inspired by them.

Cheers,
Darrel :D

Mule
12-25-2009, 12:37
You are always welcome to go with us down here in Indiana. Let me know if you want to get information about when we go. Mule

RePete
12-26-2009, 19:44
Im dying to go to North Manitou Island in the fall. Anyone interested in setting that up? I have no Idea where you can hang in Huron County but I will say it has some beautiful lake shore ranging from soft sand to boulders and everything in between. I grew up there. Just didnt camp back then.

questtrek
12-27-2009, 23:46
Michigander here.
I'm just starting to get interested in Hammocks, have been backpacking for years. Favorite spots: North Manitou Island and Manistee River Trail. Would be interested in a hang here in Michigan too.

BigJim
02-17-2010, 16:11
I'm now vary intrested in this michigan hang. Want to see every ones gear.

wanderingfarandnear
02-17-2010, 17:06
While Im not a michigander, I can throw a rock from my house to michigan (about 300 feet). Depending on when yall go somewhere, I might be up for a hang.

BER
02-17-2010, 18:12
Also not a Michigander, well at least not for the last 7 years, but only 2 hours from the UP and 7 from the southwest border. +1 camping in the UP. Keep me in mind for a group hang if I can work it into my screwed up schedule. It would be nice to return to the old tromping grounds.

Around the Detroit area, there are a fair number of State Recreation Areas running from Jackson in the west, northwest to Pontiac. Not sure of the overnight rules, but some nice areas for day hikes or mountain biking.

questtrek
02-21-2010, 23:15
Im dying to go to North Manitou Island in the fall. Anyone interested in setting that up? I have no Idea where you can hang in Huron County but I will say it has some beautiful lake shore ranging from soft sand to boulders and everything in between. I grew up there. Just didnt camp back then.

I have backpacked North Manitou a few times as a ground dweller, what an awesome place. I think it would be an awesome place to hang. I am not to sure that it would be real easy for most to get to plus it's not really open in late fall except for deer hunting. I would love to participate in a group hang in lower or western Michigan ... Something like Nordhouse Dunes, Grand Haven, Grand Rapids, Central Michigan, and even the Manistee River Trail. There are a lot of places in Michigan that would be great to do a "Hang" ...I am in the Southeastern part of the state so there's no where to go but up! ... :):)

bowguy
04-25-2010, 20:41
why dont you all come here with us....

http://www.bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7370

we all will be camping, hammocking,and learning all sorts of bushcrafty things.
i will be instructing alot of the classes...
there is miles of hiking and biking trails and great fishing to be had....

it is at the end of next month hope to see you there!

Sol_Invictus
05-25-2011, 01:36
Hey guys, sorry to bring a thread back from the dead, but that's what search is for, right? I'm new to both hiking AND hammocking, but I've done some amatuer stuff and looking for more people and events in Michigan. I'm in the greater Grand Rapids area, and mostly work and play in the middleville area. Anything going on for this summer here in MI?

gargoyle
05-25-2011, 05:02
Sol.
Welcome and hopefully we will do another hang in the Yankee Springs area this year!

devils son in law
05-29-2011, 07:45
New to hammocks but not to camping.....off the bike, canoe, or on foot!! Great many places in Northern Lower to camp. Would like to hook up with any one, check out your set-ups and drink up your beer!!!
Saw some posts on Pidgeon River, we bushwhacked across it last weekend and picked up 18 ticks between the 2 of us. They don't bother me, but if you don't like the bugs.....