PDA

View Full Version : Europe group hang

Rouskof
10-18-2016, 06:46
Anyone interested in planning that ?

GadgetUK437
10-18-2016, 08:08
Europe's a big place, got anywhere in mind?

--
Gadget

Rouskof
10-18-2016, 09:34
Devon ? Marvellous place ! I would like to do a bike trip from Poole to Plymouth and maybe Cornwall, and then go back to France through Roscoff and cross Britany and Normandy.

I have fond records of the ... Tarka trail I think it is called ? From Exeter to Barnstaple. That was maybe 15 yrs ago.

Mittagsfrost
10-18-2016, 14:06
Europe group hang? That sounds great!

wowbagger
10-18-2016, 15:02
What a great idea! Count me in!
I think it would be better to get more people involved before we specify the spot. But something is telling me that the UK is very likely... :shades:

Chris (Germany)

Rouskof
10-18-2016, 15:44
What a great idea! Count me in!
I think it would be better to get more people involved before we specify the spot. But something is telling me that the UK is very likely... :shades:

Chris (Germany)

Wow, love your avatar ! "That's a murder." (Voice of Derrick) HAHA

UK is an island : hard to get to. But I love England, so I will go anyway, by boat !

hutzelbein
10-19-2016, 04:22
I'm in if I can make it. I always like to visit the UK - but France is beautiful as well. A lot of public campsites have plenty of trees to hang from, in contrast to German campsites... And the food is good, too. Pain au chocolat? Croissant? Eclair? Check, check and check :)

Hylarborea
10-19-2016, 04:34
I'm interested and I deeply regret having only spent 3 years in London without visiting the real England, the heart of the country were people are even nicer.
Let's do that before the Brexit and while the UK is still a part of Europe . ;-p
I'll look into the Tarka trail.

wowbagger
10-19-2016, 04:55
Wow, love your avatar ! "That's a murder." (Voice of Derrick) HAHA[..]

Early productions are fun!

I'm in if I can make it.[...]

C'mon, Hutzelbein. We all know you will be there - as always :lol:

DuneElliot
10-19-2016, 13:58
Devon doesn't really have many trees from what I remember...a lot of tors though! Might come if it's set for the time I'm actually in England next year!

GadgetUK437
10-20-2016, 03:34
Flattering that you are thinking about the UK. Still proud to be a European (unlike some). Wildcamping in England is mostly limited to treeless areas, but I have a Google map of campsites that are hammock friendly, I'll post a link. There is a nice woodland site here in Devon, another couple in Wales, some in the Southeast. But if you want a proper wildcamp you had better go to Scotland, where it is (more or less) permitted.

--
Gadget

captainhaddock
10-20-2016, 06:16
In Sweden we have trees mostly everywhere and everyone has the right to wild camp for at least one night pretty much anywhere except in someone's yard. Can supply a couple of sites in the south if interesting.

Also I'm in for a group hang in Europe. :-)

Hylarborea
10-20-2016, 07:20
Flattering that you are thinking about the UK. Still proud to be a European (unlike some). Wildcamping in England is mostly limited to treeless areas, but I have a Google map of campsites that are hammock friendly, I'll post a link.
Gadget
Oh thanks, I'm very curious and would love seeing some of it.

CaptainHaddock.. Sweden?! Yes compared to all the places I know I imagine Sweden would be the planet Endor. If on top of that you tell me that wild camping is tolerated then I'm also curious.

Here I can look for a trekking trip in Provence, but it will take me more recon. We have some inclined terrain with lotsa of pine trees with thorny vines and shrubs in between and water is rare. But I can look for stuff to do at a higher altitude and maybe on the Italian side of the Alps.

GadgetUK437
10-20-2016, 07:48
Here is the link to that map, still a work in progress,
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=17eS5YTqtK6UxoLWN4cl7CQzhh3U

If you have any useful info or additional sites, get in touch.

--
Gadget

Rouskof
10-20-2016, 10:17
It depends what you want or can do, but if you want an easy to reach and interesting place to visit, that could be Paris.

There is a campsite with trees at the edge of the city (cost : about 20 Euros per night for two people), or we could actually set camp in one of the two woods bordering Paris : the Bois de Vincennes or the Bois de Boulogne. That could be one or two nights, and we would spend the day visiting Paris.
I would invite you at my place to have a shower.

And we could also go for a hang in a nice birch wood about 1 hour drive from the city : the Fontainebleau forest (https://www.google.fr/search?q=gorges+d%27apremont+foret+de+fontaineblea u&rlz=1C1AOHY_frFR711FR711&espv=2&biw=1232&bih=585&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjh04vK0enPAhUCWxQKHVbkAfwQ_AUICCgB), where the Barbizon school painters (https://www.google.fr/search?q=barbizon+school&rlz=1C1AOHY_frFR711FR711&espv=2&biw=1232&bih=585&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwiyqN_B1OnPAhXEzRoKHbaIA-gQ_AUIBygC) painted in the early XIXth century (Millet, Corot, Daubigny, Th. Rousseau...), the first outdoor landscape artists, forerunning the impressionist movement.
(If you are interested, I could do a guided tour for you in the Louvre where one can see several of their paintings.)

This Fontainebleau wood, although it is close to Paris, still looks pretty wild, there are many rocks and cliffs where climbers go and uneven ground, with hills and nice panoramas, it would be a great hanging spot. There is also a Renaissance castle (http://www.chateaudefontainebleau.fr/spip.php?page=sommaire&lang=en) there one can visit.

If, on the other hand, you would prefer seeing the countryside, and doing a cycle trip or a road trip in Normandy, for example, I could plan that as well, depending on the number of participants. We would depart from Paris and, if we have 2 or 3 days, visit Rouen, Etretat, Deauville, several Normandy manors and castles, Bayeux, and possibly Le Mont St Michel, if we have time (by car). That would include all kind of seafood and oysters, camembert and other Normandy cheeses, tarte Tatin, crepes, apple cider... We would stop by in local woods for the night.

Maybe should we try to set up a date first, because there are various possible scenarios, depending on how many days are available. Would it be one week-end or more days ? I can take one week, personally, as I am self employed. Winter, spring ?

Rouskof
10-31-2016, 02:10
Any other propositions ? What do you think of a hike in the Vosges ?

massis
10-31-2016, 04:28
Any other propositions ? What do you think of a hike in the Vosges ?

My personal preference - and I'm not even sure I could join - would be something like the Vosges. Plenty of forest to hang a group hang.
Personally though I have little interest in doing long distances, especially in a location with the height differences of the Vosges, I'd think around 10km/day is plenty and I'd be fine at 5km/day, leaving plenty of time to hang around.

Rouskof
10-31-2016, 05:09
My personal preference - and I'm not even sure I could join - would be something like the Vosges. Plenty of forest to hang a group hang.
Personally though I have little interest in doing long distances, especially in a location with the height differences of the Vosges, I'd think around 10km/day is plenty and I'd be fine at 5km/day, leaving plenty of time to hang around.

I perfectly agree with that. Which season ?

hutzelbein
10-31-2016, 06:16
I think for a proper group hang with 10+ participants, a hike and/or stealth hang would not be a good idea. I don't know what the situation in France is, but in Germany it's not permitted to hang outside dedicated campsites. People do it, but if you're unlucky, you could be fined. And the larger the group, the likelier it is that you're noticed and people take offence. There's also the question of hygiene / sanitary facilities. For a small group of people it might be OK to just do their business somewhere in the woods. For a larger group and more than one night, this would be a bad idea.

Rouskof
10-31-2016, 06:39
I think for a proper group hang with 10+ participants, a hike and/or stealth hang would not be a good idea. I don't know what the situation in France is, but in Germany it's not permitted to hang outside dedicated campsites. People do it, but if you're unlucky, you could be fined. And the larger the group, the likelier it is that you're noticed and people take offence. There's also the question of hygiene / sanitary facilities. For a small group of people it might be OK to just do their business somewhere in the woods. For a larger group and more than one night, this would be a bad idea.

I don't really see where the hygiene problem would be. Of course, you should like to camp out !
But let's find 10 people first, and discuss the sanitary facilities after ? :)
No one will bother you in a French wood if we just set camp in the late afternoon and set off in the morning. We can also make a fire and cook some sausages. Many tracks are pretty deserted.
I like being a little adventurous and seeing natural scenery.
That's my vision, but I will adapt to the majority !

NB. I think it is even forbidden to hang a hammock in France, but between what is written in the law and what is applied in real life, there is a huge gap, and I am pretty sure that in a deserted place like the Vosges, you will never have any problem, even with a party of 10, but again, I will comply with the majority.

hutzelbein
10-31-2016, 06:53
So you're really looking to do a group hike then, and not a group hang. I think it's important to be clear on this.

I have to say that I'm not interested in group hikes - so I would be out. I like hiking, and I like hiking with one or two buddies. But I don't like hiking in larger groups. To me this has all the disadvantages of a group meet and all the disadvantages of a hike - and few of the advantages.

For me, a group hang is primarily an opportunity to get to know other hangers (maybe also to find a buddy for a hike later on), and bringing and looking at different gear. Good food is nice, too. And since I would probably spend quite a bit of money and time to get to the destination, I want it to last for more than one or two days.

Rouskof
10-31-2016, 06:58
So you're really looking to do a group hike then, and not a group hang. I think it's important to be clear on this.

I have to say that I'm not interested in group hikes - so I would be out. I like hiking, and I like hiking with one or two buddies. But I don't like hiking in larger groups. To me this has all the disadvantages of a group meet and all the disadvantages of a hike - and few of the advantages.

For me, a group hang is primarily an opportunity to get to know other hangers (maybe also to find a buddy for a hike later on), and bringing and looking at different gear. Good food is nice, too. And since I would probably spend quite a bit of money and time to get to the destination, I want it to last for more than one or two days.

OK, let's do that, then. So you say we have to scout for campsites allowing hammocks and featuring enough trees... uuuh... What do the others think ? But I am not sure, there would be so many people interested...

PotatoNavigator
12-05-2016, 11:46
I'd be up for it, I think my usual hanging buddy would be as well. We don't know anyone else into hammocking yet, it's not very big in the UK (as far as I am aware).

GadgetUK437
12-05-2016, 13:20
We don't know anyone else into hammocking yet, it's not very big in the UK (as far as I am aware).
Pop over to the UK Hammock Forum, say Hi and add yourself to the member's map.
http://www.hammockforum.co.uk/forum/main-category/forum-meets/need-a-local-buddy/14798-hammock-forum-member-map
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71294434/Hammock/2016-12-05%20%281%29.png

Rouskof
12-05-2016, 17:44
This map's great. There should be something similar worldwide on this forum too.

GadgetUK437
12-06-2016, 03:23
Like this?
https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/2142-Hammock-Forums-Google-Map?highlight=member+location

massis
12-06-2016, 04:16
FYI: group hangs don't have to be stealth in France as long as you move each night. In most of france, bivouac is allowed, meaning you can set up camp in the evening and break it up in the morning legally, as long as you don't stay >24h in one spot.

That is why I mentioned the 5km. My preference would be a group hang over a group hike, but just a short hike would make it legal in France (except for certain nature reserves);

Rouskof
12-06-2016, 11:23
FYI: group hangs don't have to be stealth in France as long as you move each night. In most of france, bivouac is allowed, meaning you can set up camp in the evening and break it up in the morning legally, as long as you don't stay >24h in one spot.

That is why I mentioned the 5km. My preference would be a group hang over a group hike, but just a short hike would make it legal in France (except for certain nature reserves);

Absolutely, and it is even very pleasant to do a small hike in the Vosges ; and let us be serious : who will bother us in the Vosges ???!

Like this?
https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/2142-Hammock-Forums-Google-Map?highlight=member+location

Thank you !

Hopetimist
01-29-2017, 06:17
I'm getting a message that hammockforum.co.uk is closed for maintenance and should be back 21 January.

--Hopetimist

nik.reifer
01-29-2017, 07:54
As far as I know in France it is allowed to wild camp for one night, given you arrive late and break camp soon. Exceptions are national parks.
In my experience from hiking in the Alps, there are even fireplaces, bivouac spots and possibilities to discard you garbage scattered over the larger hiking trails. We encountered several of these on a 10 day trip on the GR5. Can't imagine it would be very different in the Vosges..

GadgetUK437
01-29-2017, 09:13
I'm getting a message that hammockforum.co.uk is closed for maintenance and should be back 21 January.

--Hopetimist
Kieran is doing a major upgrade and shifting it to a new server. I will post when it is back up.

--
Gadget

hutzelbein
05-29-2017, 02:40
In case anybody is interested and can make it at such short notice, there will be a German group hang in June (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/138244-German-group-hang-June-15th-18th).