PDA

View Full Version : Yet another "Hammocking 101" article

johnspenn
10-20-2016, 06:49
I know it's been done ad infinitum but we decided to try to reach out to our (admittedly small) audience at Couch2Trail about the joys of hammocking. I don't feel like I did a particularly good job explaining what I was trying to get across, but hey I tried.

Here's the article: https://couch2trail.wordpress.com/2016/10/19/hammocking-101-getting-started-part-one-hammock-and-suspension/

There are some videos imbedded on the page as visual aids. It may be of some help if you're VERY new to hammocking.

KBr00ks
10-20-2016, 09:00
That's nice and concise without omitting too much. Just enough to get people intrigued and wanting to follow your links to find out more. Good job!

johnspenn
10-20-2016, 20:07
Thanks KBrOOks- I was really surprised at how much I did have to cut out to make the article manageable. I'm even more impressed now with Derek Hansen's "Ultimate Hang"... I don't know how he kept it so trim yet made it so informative.

bofadeez
11-21-2016, 20:10
I could be off the mark here but my ENO Atlas straps, with all of the loop sections allow me the freedom to quickly "angle the dangle" just the way I need it. Seems to me they are a quicker path to success than whoopee slings and a separate tree strap setup. Good series of articles, Thanks for all the insight and info.

johnspenn
11-22-2016, 16:31
I could be off the mark here but my ENO Atlas straps, with all of the loop sections allow me the freedom to quickly "angle the dangle" just the way I need it. Seems to me they are a quicker path to success than whoopee slings and a separate tree strap setup. Good series of articles, Thanks for all the insight and info.

I agree that for simplicity the Atlas Straps are hard to beat. Where the whoopies and straps strengths lie are 1. Pretty simple, even if not AS simple as ENO 2. WAY less bulky and heavy than ENO 3. I spliced the whoopies myself and that's cool!

Thanks!

Gutyones
11-22-2016, 20:56
Thanks for walking through the use of the Whoopie Slings. I'm thinking about that route for my suspension.

Afterparty
11-23-2016, 05:40
My new dream hammock has whoopies. Thanks

keith
11-23-2016, 06:42
I thought you did a great job :thumbup1:

Pennsy Camp and Canoe
11-23-2016, 10:18

4, I don't think the Eno straps need much more explanation (their greatest assest), where as whoopies do need an introduction. I use straps and buckles and didn't need any instruction (other than try a slip knot behind the buckle)

Great article johnspenn

johnspenn
11-28-2016, 09:47
Thanks for walking through the use of the Whoopie Slings. I'm thinking about that route for my suspension.
It really works well for us. Thanks!

My new dream hammock has whoopies. Thanks
I got my eye on those Dream hammocks! Lucky you! Thanks!

I thought you did a great job :thumbup1:
Thank you Sir!

4, I don't think the Eno straps need much more explanation (their greatest assest), where as whoopies do need an introduction. I use straps and buckles and didn't need any instruction (other than try a slip knot behind the buckle)

Great article johnspenn

Thanks PC&C. You're right, there's somewhat of a learning curve with whoopies, but I really like them now that I know how to make them myself. Nothing like using something you made yourself!

bubbamancub13
12-05-2016, 12:45
Are there any vids or articles on how to hang a tarp with atlas straps because I like the ease of the straps but the tarp can be a little bit tricky sometimes.

johnspenn
12-05-2016, 13:03
Are there any vids or articles on how to hang a tarp with atlas straps because I like the ease of the straps but the tarp can be a little bit tricky sometimes.

I've never tried to hang a tarp with Atlas Straps. You could experiment with it and let us know what you found out.

What is it about the tarp you find tricky?

MonkeyWrench
01-04-2017, 03:00
(Just my limited attempts at the same concept.
I did fiddle with my atlas straps and a combined ridgeline and got it to "kinda" work. I wrapped the middle of the straps around a tree then fed both end through one of the center loops on the webbing this causes the straps to automatically tighten when against the tree then you essentially have two non continuous ridgelines from one strap. The problem with that was that it took a crazy long time to setup and you couldn't adjust the tarp easily afterwards. Besides that attempt my main issue I ran into was not enough tension on the lines anchoring your tarp to the ground (or tree)

This was my take on it
Since your tarp is attached to your hammock ridgeline when you lay in your hammock gravity comes calling and you lower a little. This small drop in height releases the tension on your tie downs that are on the ground (or tree). And even if you where to tighten them somehow while laying in your hammock they would still get pulled out of the ground (or rip) due to the hammocks movement.

The only two possible solutions to this is to either
1. Get a hammock sock Or
2. Get some fairly strong/long pieces of elastic to act as a kind of movement buffer on your side tie outs, then attach those to a tree or a rather strong anchor.

My inexperienced .02$

Biker Bob
01-04-2017, 20:56
With my ENO which has no CRL, I either tie the line from the ProFly tarp directly to the tree below the tree or tie a taut line hitch to the loop at the tree and use the hitch and line locs to position and tension the tarp. Tied at the tree, weight in the hammock does not effect the position. I am new and have not experienced any high winds to test this set up.

Bob
Bob

lambdahammock
03-31-2017, 18:31
The suspension was the most confusing part when I started hanging.

Keep up the good work :)

johnspenn
03-31-2017, 19:04
The suspension was the most confusing part when I started hanging.

Keep up the good work :)

Yes it was confusing to me as well. I'm still not certain what all the options are- cinch bugs and spiders and all kinds of stuff. I'll stick with what works for me for now! Thanks!

The Marine
04-02-2017, 10:42
Nice article! I just started my Twitter account (@bpwithahammock) and this will be very useful for my followers!

johnspenn
04-02-2017, 18:33
Nice article! I just started my Twitter account (@bpwithahammock) and this will be very useful for my followers!

Hey that's great! I don't tweet haha but thanks for getting it out there.

bubbavinny
07-12-2017, 13:31
Thanks for sharing!