PDA

View Full Version : Mini shake down hike

Hangman
10-20-2006, 15:56
Did an overnite in rickets glen state park in an hh using nest and 20 western bag as quilt. it was raining like crazy and was 44 out at midnight. i was using a 8x10 tarp. i stayed dry all night. i was feeling a little cold on my back when i woke at 2.30. it was raining so hard i did not want to get out to put my pad in or try adjusting my nest.i fell back asleep till 4 got up again feeling cold on my back. i was wearing 1 pair mid weight wool socks, light nylon hike pants tec shirt and fleece. looking back i should of gotten up to adjust to see how low i could of went before using pad. how low are most people getting with just there nest and top quilt and feeling comfortable?

FanaticFringer
10-20-2006, 16:19
If you hav'nt seen this yet, this is an awesome article:
www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/Warm.htm

ShakeyLeggs
10-20-2006, 16:45
I'll be out this weekend with my HH, Nest, No Sniveller, MacCat. Expecting lows in the low 40's. We'll see how my setup works.

Good report Hangman.

Coffee
10-20-2006, 16:51
I have a small thermometer on my compass. My ~20 degree bag and nest get me to 40 degrees. Every time I got cold on the bottom the thermomether would read just under 40. Add a pad and I am good at least into the teens with the right clothes.

Just Jeff
10-20-2006, 17:14
Same as hammock engineer - I'm comfy to high 30s with just the Nest. Some tips on adjusting the Nest here:
http://www.tothewoods.net/ColdWeatherTenLakes.html

FanaticFringer
10-20-2006, 21:45
Jeff,

What do you think of this paragraph from the above JRB article?
I seem to remember you commenting on this approach but cant remember exactly what you said. I dont see people talking about this as a viable option.

"If you are still carrying a pad use it. In addition to the standard mode in the hammock, the pad can be placed between the hammock and the under quilt. Both work well. Between the Hammock and Nest is more comfortable. Additionally, it will allow better dispersion of non-sensible sweat so that you are not in the damp pool of sweat as when directly on a non-breathable pad."

Just Jeff
10-20-2006, 22:22
I think putting the pad between the hammock and Nest wouldn't make you much warmer. Either it wouldn't hold the pad tightly enough to the hammock and you'd get air gaps, or it would hold the pad tightly enough but would compress the underquilt...meaning you get very little benefit from the underquilt's loft.

If I were cold and really trying to get warm, I'd bring the pad inside the hammock. And if I weren't that cold, I'd just use the Nest. Personally, I can't see a situation where putting the pad between the hammock and underquilt would be of much benefit, but then I haven't tested it thorougly either - maybe I'm missing something.

Hopefully Jack will read this soon and comment.

Peter_pan
10-24-2006, 18:29
I think putting the pad between the hammock and Nest wouldn't make you much warmer. Either it wouldn't hold the pad tightly enough to the hammock and you'd get air gaps, or it would hold the pad tightly enough but would compress the underquilt...meaning you get very little benefit from the underquilt's loft.

If I were cold and really trying to get warm, I'd bring the pad inside the hammock. And if I weren't that cold, I'd just use the Nest. Personally, I can't see a situation where putting the pad between the hammock and underquilt would be of much benefit, but then I haven't tested it thorougly either - maybe I'm missing something.

Hopefully Jack will read this soon and comment.

Just got back from a weekend of Hanging in SC....nite of 45 and one of 50-52...used a Nest and NS.... fleece ljs...had to remove socks and hat to avoid overheating...

First, I agree with JJ on best heat is inside....

Second , at the time of writing that article the pad imagined was a small ground pad, 10x20, 17x34 or so and or a slightly larger but more supple (thinner) hammock pad, like a 24x36 oval of GG thin and light.... Such a pad would readily snug up to the hammock over a JRB Nest with minimum tension or air pocket issues...

Third, for those of you thinking full length or 3/8 inch thick, or self inflatables I'd definately go with inside the hammock for use of these types

As always... the old adage is true.... " the devil is in the details"

Pan

Just Jeff
10-24-2006, 22:14
That makes sense - I can see where a torso-sized or smaller pad would fit ok, and may offer an additional level of warmth between "Nest alone" and "Nest plus pad in hammock". Thanks for replying.

FanaticFringer
10-24-2006, 22:21
Might just try using 1 or 2 of these pads between the hammock and nest and see how low I could go temp. wise. I own 1 and it is extremely light and thin.
www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/thinlight.html

Miguel
10-25-2006, 07:18
Might just try using 1 or 2 of these pads between the hammock and nest and see how low I could go temp. wise. I own 1 and it is extremely light and thin.
www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/thinlight.html

Are these 1/8" padds thick enough or should I stick with 3/8"? I'll be using it in a Claytor Jungle hammock which has the double bottom to hold it in place. I'm thinking down to about 50 degrees....mostly summer but also some spring and fall. (Maybe one of each!)

Miguel

Dreamer
10-25-2006, 10:55
I too would like to hear anyone's experiences regarding the thinlight pads. I have their torsolength nightlight and think it is great, but not big enough for what I need in the hammock. When it gets cold the nest is clearly not enough for me, but YMMV. I guess I am a cold sleeper. I use the nest and a Wallmart Blue CCF pad and the GG Nightlight for my feet. I also use the jacks hood and sleeves for my feet. I was toasty warm at 26F last weekend. Anyway, any experience with either the thinlight ore oware's pads? I would like to drop some weight and a lot of bulk. Thanks.

stoikurt
10-25-2006, 15:54
"If you are still carrying a pad use it. In addition to the standard mode in the hammock, the pad can be placed between the hammock and the under quilt. Both work well. Between the Hammock and Nest is more comfortable. Additionally, it will allow better dispersion of non-sensible sweat so that you are not in the damp pool of sweat as when directly on a non-breathable pad."

I think that's the idea with the HH Super Shelter. The Super Shelter uses a SilNylon layer under the hammock for a windbreak and uses a 1/4" open cell contoured pad for insulation. The open cell pad grips and holds other pads in place.

I use a 3/4 length ThermaRest UL pad between the open cell pad and the hammock. It has kept me warm to around 30 degrees. That's as cold as I have been able to test it. Two weeks ago on the AT it go into the upper 30's and I was warm. From 40 degrees and up I actually have to shed clothing. I took a small closed cell pad (~10"X16") for sitting on the ground. I used it inside under my knees or where ever a cool spot developed as I shifted around.

I dislike wrestling with a pad inside the hammock. It never seems to want to stay where you put it.

FanaticFringer
10-25-2006, 16:41
Are these 1/8" padds thick enough or should I stick with 3/8"? I'll be using it in a Claytor Jungle hammock which has the double bottom to hold it in place. I'm thinking down to about 50 degrees....mostly summer but also some spring and fall. (Maybe one of each!)

Miguel

I've seen where a 1/8 pad is rated to 63 degrees in a hammock. Might want to test it at home before you go out. I tried the 1/8 GG pad last night between my hammock and the Nest (at home) I quickly got out the 3/8. Temp was around 40.

Hangman
10-25-2006, 17:16
I've seen where a 1/8 pad is rated to 63 degrees in a hammock. Might want to test it at home before you go out. I tried the 1/8 GG pad last night between my hammock and the Nest (at home) I quickly got out the 3/8. Temp was around 40.FanaticFringer,How did that work out with the pad between nest and hammock?

FanaticFringer
10-25-2006, 17:44
FanaticFringer,How did that work out with the pad between nest and hammock?

It fit in there pretty well. Like it was'nt even there. I just had to close the Nest from the outside. Then I just slid the Nest to the side and entered the hammock. I had to adjust the pad a little. Would be interesting to see how 2 or 3 of these babys would work. Seeing as though 3 would be 3/8.

Hangman
10-26-2006, 21:58
I've just got in from testing out my blue wmart 24 inch wide pad(it looks like 3/8 thick) in hammock, with nest underneath hammock, it is 27 degrees out . i used a western mountain bad 20 degree as quilt. i was on my front porch no wind, i did not have the tarp up. i was out for about 2 hrs just testing, i was very comfortable with light pants, fleese, smart wool socks, and thin balaca.i'm sure things would change if it was windy out. my goal is to get comfortable to 20 degrees. i'm starting my thru end of march hoping to not run into temps on too many nights below that. if i do i'll go to the ground those nights if i have to.