PDA

View Full Version : RRG hangout plans.

Doctari
06-14-2007, 10:10
Just giving some thought to a hang out at the Red River Gorge this fall. Hammock Engineer & I found a nice place not far from Gray’s Arch on the Gray's Arch Trail. It’s also not far from many side trails, rock houses, arches & views. Only about 3/4 miles from the trailhead on an easy grade. This area is not generally used as a campsite, although there is a small used area sort of attached / nearby. I will admit that there is no nearby H2O, but it would be an easy carry in of extra water. There should be enough room for 20 to 50 hangers, as there are a lot of 4” to 8” trees and there is room (flat spots) for quite a few groundlings.
I’m thinking of November 23, 24, 25.
Cookout Sat the 24th, I’ll bring:
Hotdogs & buns.
At least one 10’ X 10’ picnic shelter.
3 gallons of H2O (I have a heavy duty wagon)
If enough response here, I think we should invite those from white blaze too.

Doctari.

Hooch
06-14-2007, 10:14
Just giving some thought to a hang out at the Red River Gorge this fall. Hammock Engineer & I found a nice place not far from Gray’s Arch on the Gray's Arch Trail. It’s also not far from many side trails, rock houses, arches & views. Only about 3/4 miles from the trailhead on an easy grade. This area is not generally used as a campsite, although there is a small used area sort of attached / nearby. I will admit that there is no nearby H2O, but it would be an easy carry in of extra water. There should be enough room for 20 to 50 hangers, as there are a lot of 4” to 8” trees and there is room (flat spots) for quite a few groundlings.
Hotdogs & buns.
If enough response here, I think we should invite those from white blaze too.

Doctari. You're on, Doctari! Count me in, but I hope to make a trip or 2 to the Gorge before then. I've been here in KY for 10 yrs now and never been. I think HC is planning an overnighter this weekend, but it's my first night back from vacation so I can't get out of work to go. :( Anyway, I'd love to attend the November RRG Hangout.

Coffee
06-14-2007, 10:30
Hopefully I will not be able to make it. But someone has to get a pic of Doctari pulling a radio flyer full of water for me.

Hooch
06-14-2007, 10:33
someone has to get a pic of Doctari pulling a radio flyer full of water for me.You got yourself a deal! :D

NCPatrick
06-14-2007, 10:46
I won't be able to make it, due to some obscure holiday called "Thanksgiving". My family expects me to take them to a relative's house for a large lunch/dinner on the 22nd before that weekend, and then meet and commune with lots of other relatives...

I'd love to hang out with you folks at RRG sometime though.

headchange4u
06-14-2007, 10:47
I'll be there. I love the RRG.

headchange4u
06-14-2007, 10:54
On second thought Thanksgiving weekend may be a little hard to do. Like NCPatrick I will be at various family dinners and gatherings.

You think maybe it would be better either the week before or after the Thanksgiving holiday. May get a better turn out.

Coffee
06-14-2007, 11:03
I can't say the date, but I would like to do one after I get back before I move to where ever I am going to move to. I'm thinking late December or Early Janurary-ish.

Doctari
06-14-2007, 13:41
On second thought Thanksgiving weekend may be a little hard to do. Like NCPatrick I will be at various family dinners and gatherings.

You think maybe it would be better either the week before or after the Thanksgiving holiday. May get a better turn out.

AARRGG!

The calander I used on MS Works dosn't (automaticly) have the holidays on it, so I totally forgot. My reason for choosing that weekend was that I'm off Thursday thru Monday. OK, How about the weekend before, I work Sunday that weekend, but I should be able to get off 1/2 day, even if the boss has to cover me. If Mt Rogers was any indication, everyone will start breaking up by noon Sunday anyway, so I can be to work easily by 5 PM then.

So who's up for the 16th 17th & 18th of November?

Sorry!

Doctari.

headchange4u
06-14-2007, 13:43

Doctari.

Works for me.:D

NCPatrick
06-14-2007, 13:48
I will go ahead and put it on my calendar. :)

Looking forward to it!

Hooch
06-14-2007, 13:55
Count me in thus far! I should be able to make it with 5 months notice! :D

Doctari
06-17-2007, 16:12
Headchange4U, my youngest son & I just got back from the gorge. We may have come up with another site. The site is atop "Indian staircase" & is, depending on the route you choose, about 6.6 miles RT. The Indian Staircase are steps cut up the side of a sandstone cliff, atop it are any number of tent & hammock sites, but no water, and no way to get my wagon up there :p
Either way in is, , , , , , , challenging, so we may call this the "No sniveler Hangout”. Nearby pluses are: the historical Indian staircase, a HUGE rock house with some unique features (the “Om dome”), FANTASTIC VIEWS EVERYWHERE, Coyotes, woodpeckers & other wildlife abound, sunrise & sunset both visible from atop the staircase.
Some negatives: a fair amount of trash around*, NO close water source, it is a difficult climb up to the site if you go by the staircase – a little less so the other route.

*If we decide on this site: I would like to strongly recommend that everyone bring a (very) heavy duty large trash bag so we can clean up & haul out this trash. I will bring a few Heavy duty bird feed sacks for the ample broken glass in many of the fire pits. A work detail? Yes, but also a way of giving back to IMHO one of the wonders of the world. Did I mention the breathtaking views?

Just a thought!

Doctari.

Coffee
06-17-2007, 17:39
That is a pretty cool site and fun hike. If someone wants to look it up it is not on the map I had. It is also part of the Cliffy Wilderness and not RRG. Same exact area, just different name.

I remember seeing a lot of trash when I was up there too. Pretty cool idea to clean it up. I remember water being within a mile from the bottom.

headchange4u
06-18-2007, 08:12
Doctari, his son, and I had a fantastic trip this weekend. It was and awesome hike and the Indian Staircase, huge rock house, and the trail back down were amazing. Ohm Dome was cool and we also came across a good sized arch.

There were several campsites on top of the staircase and it would be perfect place for a gathering for those who were willing to do some minor rock climbing. You can also get there without scrambling up the rocks, but the trail going up is pretty tough in parts. It's a lot better going down.:) I really think we should plan a camp out there.

It was trashy up there and it would be a great idea for us to clean it up if we went.

There were some water sources not far from the staircase. I carried up 4+ liters of water and used almost all of it by the time we got back down. There is actually a small waterfall at the rock shelter which was about .2 of a mile from the top staircase, but it was only a trickle because of the extremely dry weather we are having in Kentucky. Normally is would be a viable water source.

I have some pics that I will post later today.

NCPatrick
06-18-2007, 08:24
Looking forward to the pictures!

slowhike
06-18-2007, 13:29
i'm hoping i can join you guys there one of these week ends.

Hooch
06-19-2007, 00:28
i'm hoping i can join you guys there one of these week ends.We hope so too, Tim. :D

NCPatrick
08-22-2007, 08:11
Is this still on for November 16th 17th & 18?

Coffee
08-25-2007, 12:38
I won't be back for that one, but I want to do a farewell to the midwest and Cincinnati trip there in January if anyone is interested. Planning on moving to Denver after I get back.

wamyteipen
08-28-2007, 01:13
Man I wish I could go to this one but I have a baby due in November. I love the RRG. If anyone goes in September or October let me know. I would be game for a 1-2 night trip.

Doctari
09-08-2007, 17:22
So, how about some further thought to a hang out at the Red River Gorge this fall. Hammock Engineer & I found a nice place not far from Gray’s Arch. It’s also not far from many side trails, rock houses, arches & views. Only about 3/4 miles from the trailhead on an easy grade. This area is not generally used as a campsite, although there is a small used area sort of attached / nearby. The area in question is at the X on the map below.
Later, My work partner & I found a place some use to camp & rappel (off a cliff nearby) Marked by an O on the map.
I will admit that there is no nearby H2O at either place, but it would be easy to carry in extra water. There should be enough room for 20 to 50 hangers, as there are a lot of 4” to 8” trees and there is room (flat spots) for quite a few groundlings.

Hotdogs & buns.
I think we should invite those from white blaze too.

Hooch
09-08-2007, 21:48
So, how about some further thought to a hang out at the Red River Gorge this fall. Hammock Engineer & I found a nice place not far from Gray’s Arch. It’s also not far from many side trails, rock houses, arches & views. Only about 3/4 miles from the trailhead on an easy grade. This area is not generally used as a campsite, although there is a small used area sort of attached / nearby. The area in question is at the X on the map below.
Later, My work partner & I found a place some use to camp & rappel (off a cliff nearby) Marked by an O on the map.
I will admit that there is no nearby H2O at either place, but it would be easy to carry in extra water. There should be enough room for 20 to 50 hangers, as there are a lot of 4” to 8” trees and there is room (flat spots) for quite a few groundlings.

Hotdogs & buns.
I think we should invite those from white blaze too. Doctari, I'm on this one, will request the days off from work and put in for vacation now. This way, I have the week of Thanksgiving off to go visit family in NC and do the hang at RRG. See y'all there. I think that extending the invitation to our counterparts @ WhiteBlaze is a good idea. Maybe it'll show the groundlings that we're not just a bunch of hanging savages.

slowhike
09-08-2007, 22:06
my bosses don't want me taking fridays off now (even though that wasn't the original agreement), but i'm going to see if i can get that fri off.

rigidpsycho
09-09-2007, 14:09
AARRGG!

The calander I used on MS Works dosn't (automaticly) have the holidays on it, so I totally forgot. My reason for choosing that weekend was that I'm off Thursday thru Monday. OK, How about the weekend before, I work Sunday that weekend, but I should be able to get off 1/2 day, even if the boss has to cover me. If Mt Rogers was any indication, everyone will start breaking up by noon Sunday anyway, so I can be to work easily by 5 PM then.

Sorry!

Doctari.

so is it gonna be the 23, 24, and 25(Thanksgiving weekend)or the weekend before?

Doctari
09-11-2007, 07:11
so is it gonna be the 23, 24, and 25(Thanksgiving weekend)or the weekend before?

AAAARRRGG!

I forgot, AGAIN!

We did say it was to be the previous weekend didn't we!

Now I gots to post on WB that I was wrong!

This senile thing is really starting to, um,,,, something or t

me!

Doctari
09-11-2007, 07:20
OK, now that that has been straightened out. Where to go?

X is closest to views & stuff, but O is an established LARGE campsite, & I can bring rapelling gear if any want to try that.

TTFN

Doctari.

NCPatrick
09-11-2007, 07:37
my bosses don't want me taking fridays off now (even though that wasn't the original agreement), but i'm going to see if i can get that fri off.

Are these the same bosses that wanted you to keep working even after you got hurt on the job? They owe you.

GrizzlyAdams
09-11-2007, 08:29
OK, now that that has been straightened out. Where to go?

X is closest to views & stuff, but O is an established LARGE campsite, & I can bring rapelling gear if any want to try that.

TTFN

Doctari.
I might be able to swing Nov. 16-18, possibly with HLH. He'd go nuts over the rapelling. It's going on the calendar.

Grizz

Hooch
09-11-2007, 16:15
Ok, I've got the weekend of 11/16 requested off. I'm pretty sure I'l get it. I'll be looking forward to the RRG trip then! :D

rigidpsycho
09-11-2007, 17:32
I'm gonna try to make it

Doctari
09-20-2007, 17:47
I just found out I can't go. Things beyond my control have come up the weekend before thanksgiving, And, Thanksgiving wknd.

Sigh!

Doctari.

NCPatrick
09-21-2007, 06:55
That's a real shame Doctari, sorry you can't make it. I'm still planning to go and am trying to talk a pal into coming with me.

Hooch
09-21-2007, 07:29
That's a real shame Doctari, sorry you can't make it. I'm still planning to go and am trying to talk a pal into coming with me.
I'm still in too, as far as I know. My work schedule should tell the tale within the next couple weeks. If I have it off, then I'm still in. Doctari, sorry that circumstances prevent you from being there, but hope you can make it another time. The trip I took with Big E to RRG was my first trip there. It's a place of such amazing beauty that it sure won't be my last! It'll keep me coming back again and again. And it's less than an hour away! :D Joy!

slowhike
09-21-2007, 16:20
yep... sorry to hear that doc.
i'm still going to see if i can work it out.

Big E
10-03-2007, 06:42
Bringing this one back to the top - are we still on for the weekend before Thanksgiving and where are we going to end up? Gray's Arch? Indian Staircase?

NCPatrick
10-03-2007, 06:49
I've still got it on my calendar.

Hooch
10-03-2007, 07:10
Bringing this one back to the top - are we still on for the weekend before Thanksgiving and where are we going to end up? Gray's Arch? Indian Staircase? I'm still in, too. My vote is for the valley that we stayed in this past weekend. Like Doctari said, there is ample room for quite a few hangers, plenty of water, a great fire ring and pretty easy to get to. Gray's Arch or a couple other places would be good day hikes from there, also. But I'll go with the group. Either way, I'm in. The more, the merrier.

headchange4u
10-03-2007, 07:42
So we are definitely shooting for the weekend of Nov. 16,17, ands 18? What would be the easiest way to get to this valley? You said it was located on the way to Gray's Arch on trail 221?

NCPatrick
10-03-2007, 07:59
Yep, I'll need directions and maps. But I'll still worry about getting lost. :)

headchange4u
10-03-2007, 08:03
Yep, I'll need directions and maps. But I'll still worry about getting lost. :)

If I could figure out sorta where the valley that Hooch and Doctari stayed at this weekend I was gonna scout it out. That way I could find the best parking spot as well as the best route into the site. I will also take some GPS info and post it.

NCPatrick
10-03-2007, 08:30
If I could figure out sorta where the valley that Hooch and Doctari stayed at this weekend I was gonna scout it out. That way I could find the best parking spot as well as the best route into the site. I will also take some GPS info and post it.

Thanks. Be sure to draw your maps poorly on bar napkins, scan them and post them. Or else give directions like this: turn left at the split tree, then right near the big dog, then left by the old fallen-in barn... that way I'll understand just what you mean. ;) :D

Hooch
10-03-2007, 09:22
So we are definitely shooting for the weekend of Nov. 16,17, ands 18? What would be the easiest way to get to this valley? You said it was located on the way to Gray's Arch on trail 221? If I remember correctly, yes. You might want to ask Doctari for sure. He's the one who knew about it. As far as parking is concerned, we parked at the Swinging Bridge parking lot for the night. No problems at all there. And I got to go through the Nada Tunnel (Cool!).

Big E
10-03-2007, 10:07
Was it the last valley/stream crossing before Gray's Arch coming from Pinch-Em Tight direction?

Doctari
10-03-2007, 11:40
I still can't go the weekend before Thanksgiving. MAY be able to go Thanksgiving.

But since I started this:
The first campsite I suggested is got to by parking at Grays Arch parking lot take Gray's Arch trail / #205 N, at rough trail / #221 go right. If you have the Topo map, the camp site I liked is at where the 221 is in red (Left side of the trail, almost no one has camped here, cause there are not many [cleared] spots for tents. Bring water!

The second one I suggest: Park at Gray's Arch parking lot take (a short walk on) Tunnel ridge rd to the Sheltowee Trace trail, go Left on ST. Stay on ST for about 1/2 to 1 mile, the campsite is on the right (very large flat area below a 60' cliff, you pass the cliff there is a trail to the right). Bring Water!

Where Hooch & I stayed.
Short version: Park at Gray's Arch parking lot take (a short walk on) Tunnel ridge rd to the Sheltowee Trace trail, go Left on ST. At Rush Ridge trl, go Left, at Rough trail go Right, in about 100' be careful down a STEEP rock, there is a nice rock house to the Left after you negotiate the rock, the trail continues straight. At the bottom of this trail is a creek, campsites are left & right. Water is abundant. Hooch & I camped to the Right (Up stream of creek in front of you)
Short version #2: Park at Gray's Arch parking lot take (a short walk on) Tunnel ridge rd to the Sheltowee Trace trail, go Left on ST. At Pinch em tight / ST trl, go Right, in about 3/4 mile Pinch em tight trl goes L, so do you. at Rough trail go Left, At very bottom of trail is campsites, above directions end somewhat to right. Hooch & I camped to the Left (Up stream of creek to N) You are at the "Large area for socalizing".
Long rte: Park at suspension bridge parking lot, take the connector to the bridge & cross. Take the ST to rough trail, go Right. The campsite IS on Rough trail. FYI: This is an about 4 to 4.5 mile hike, up/down several moderatly challenging hills.

If you park at Gray's arch parking lot, I suggest a side trip to D. Boone Hut, just off the west end of the lot! Gray's arch is well worth the short walk from any of the sites suggested. I have seen it 3 times now & still go "WOW!!"

I hope to get there, but work commitments look like I will not be there.

FWIW: I think "We" decided the weekend before thansgiving.

Have fun all!

Doctari.

Hooch
10-03-2007, 13:10
So is the final decision for the weekend before Thanksgiving (November 16-18)? What do y'all think? Opinions/ideas? Beuller? Beuller?

NCPatrick
10-03-2007, 13:11
Yes, that's the decision we made as I remember.

Hooch
10-03-2007, 13:14
Yes, that's the decision we made as I remember. I think I'm going to post a poll then to see who all/how many are planning on coming.

headchange4u
10-03-2007, 14:23
Doctari,

From your description it looks like you may be talking about the area that is highlighted and indicated by the arrow.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/headchange4u/RRGCAMPOUT.jpg

If that is the spot, it has my vote for the location for the campout. It would be nice to have a "large area for socializing" as well as ample water. It would also give people a few options for getting there. If you wanted a short hike in you could leave from the Gray's Arch parking lot (B) or if you wanted more of a hike you could come from either the Koomer Ridge Campground (C) or from the suspension bridge parking lot (A). Also as you stated, there are several trails in the area for day hikes. JMHO

Hooch
10-03-2007, 14:31
Doctari,

From your description it looks like you may be talking about the area that is highlighted and indicated by the arrow.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/headchange4u/RRGCAMPOUT.jpg

If that is the spot, it has my vote for the location for the campout. It would be nice to have a "large area for socializing" as well as ample water. It would also give people a few options for getting there. If you wanted a short hike in you could leave from the Gray's Arch parking lot (B) or if you wanted more of a hike you could come from either the Koomer Ridge Campground (C) or from the suspension bridge parking lot (A). Also as you stated, there are several trails in the area for day hikes. JMHO That looks about right to me, HC. Try to get Doctari to look at it and confirm. As previously mentioned, there is plenty of room for many hammocks, lots of socializing room, ample water and at least 3 routes in (or more), each varying in distance and degree of difficulty. Personally, I'd probably just take the hike in from the Suspension Bridge parking lot since I know where it is and the route in. I may change my mind, but that's my plan for now anyway. Hope to see plenty of y'all there! :D

Hooch
10-03-2007, 14:41
I don't know if anyone's thought of this, but I think I'm going to post this on Ed Speer's Hammock Camping Yahoo Group. Hope some of them would like to come as well.

headchange4u
10-03-2007, 14:54
I don't know if anyone's thought of this, but I think I'm going to post this on Ed Speer's Hammock Camping Yahoo Group. Hope some of them would like to come as well.

...and WhiteBlaze....

Hooch
10-03-2007, 14:56
...and WhiteBlaze....
I'll do it right now. Thanks for reminding me. I'll link to the thread on here. I don't think anyone will mind a shamless plug for HF on there. :rolleyes:

Hooch
10-03-2007, 15:12
I don't know if anyone's thought of this, but I think I'm going to post this on Ed Speer's Hammock Camping Yahoo Group.

...and WhiteBlaze....

I'll do it right now. Thanks for reminding me. I'll link to the thread on here. I don't think anyone will mind a shamless plug for HF on there. :rolleyes: Done deal! :D

rigidpsycho
10-03-2007, 15:32
Gonna try to make it have to ask the wife

Big E
10-03-2007, 15:34
Hooch, let's meet at Gray's Arch and make a loop over to the site. If you haven't seen Gray's Arch yet, it's worth it.

Hooch
10-03-2007, 15:39
Hooch, let's meet at Gray's Arch and make a loop over to the site. If you haven't seen Gray's Arch yet, it's worth it. I went to Gray's Arch with Doctari on our trip there over the weekend. I wouldn't mind going back at all. It was really a breathtaking view. I'll get up with you before the hangout and we'll firm up plans to meet and hike in together. Anyone else want to meet at the gray's Arch parking area and hike in?

GrizzlyAdams
10-03-2007, 16:00
I went to Gray's Arch with Doctari on our trip there over the weekend. I wouldn't mind going back at all. It was really a breathtaking view. I'll get up with you before the hangout and we'll firm up plans to meet and hike in together. Anyone else want to meet at the gray's Arch parking area and hike in?

Depends on the time frame. This will be a 6 hour drive for me...if I come down first thing in the a.m. I could get there by early afternoon.

Grizz

Big E
10-03-2007, 16:35
Hooch, so you hiked up and over signature rock, etc coming down on the Sheltowee? Now THAT is a fun hike. Misery Hill will test your manhood!!

Hooch
10-03-2007, 18:10
Hooch, so you hiked up and over signature rock, etc coming down on the Sheltowee? Now THAT is a fun hike. Misery Hill will test your manhood!! I'm not sure of the names of rocks, hills, etc, allI did was follow Doctari and try not to fall too far behind. :p I do think that we took a break at Signature Rock, if it's what I think it is. Maybe Doctari can chime in on this when he reads it.

NCPatrick
10-04-2007, 13:26
What is the closest on road access point that I can use for Google Maps?

Hooch
10-04-2007, 14:33
What is the closest on road access point that I can use for Google Maps? NCP, there are a couple different roads you can use to access the area where we plan to hang. I'm not sure where my RRG map is right now, but the best people to pose this question to are HC and Doctari. I'm sure one of them will chime in some time soon. If not, just PM them.

NCPatrick
10-04-2007, 14:37
Will do. Just trying to figure out how many hours it'll take me to get there, so that I can start planning the trip. :) Thanks.

Hooch
10-04-2007, 14:49
Just trying to figure out how many hours it'll take me to get there. :) Thanks. If you go up 40 to Knoxville, then take 75 t0 64 in Lexington, KY to the Mountain Parkway just outside Winchester, KY, it should take you about 8 hrs or so, I think. There may be faster ways, but I've never some this way from Winston-Salem.

headchange4u
10-04-2007, 14:51
Try using Miguel's Pizza , 1890 Natural Bridge Rd., Slade, Ky 40376. That address will get you there and give you a good time estimate.

headchange4u
10-04-2007, 14:52
Or try this link (http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=vaW&resnum=0&q=MIGUEL'S+PIZZA+RED+RIVER+GORGE&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl).

NCPatrick
10-04-2007, 14:57
According to Google Maps:

316 mi – about 6 hours 3 mins. 52N to 74N to 77N to 81 to a zillion other roads through Virginia, etc.

Adventure! :)

Thanks guys.

Hooch
10-04-2007, 15:39
According to Google Maps:

316 mi – about 6 hours 3 mins. 52N to 74N to 77N to 81 to a zillion other roads through Virginia, etc.

Adventure! :)

Thanks guys. I did what I could to help. Sorry my way sucks. I took that way through VA the first time I drove to KY from NC. I never did it again. :D

peanuts
10-05-2007, 08:31
well, if by some miracle my van its fixed, i may try to come. but i can not get location or milage to see how long of a drive its is.

NCPatrick
10-05-2007, 08:39
From Loganville to Miguel's Pizza place, KY ;) it's 440 mi – about 7 hours 14 mins, according to Google maps.

Hooch
10-05-2007, 08:43
Try using Miguel's Pizza , 1890 Natural Bridge Rd., Slade, Ky 40376. That address will get you there and give you a good time estimate.

Or try this link (http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=vaW&resnum=0&q=MIGUEL'S+PIZZA+RED+RIVER+GORGE&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl).

well, if by some miracle my van its fixed, i may try to come. but i can not get location or milage to see how long of a drive its is. Peanuts, if you can make it, use the above methods offered by HC to get distance/time/location references.

peanuts
10-05-2007, 10:48
oh wow, thats a long way...........

Hooch
10-05-2007, 14:31
oh wow, thats a long way...........Georgia to Kentucky a long way? No! Surely you jest! :p

rigidpsycho
10-05-2007, 14:49
What is the closest on road access point that I can use for Google Maps?

Hey NCPatrick what is the near north-south interstate, I can't remember looked at Winston-Salem on a map at work, but from what I remember it would probably be quicker to go north and hit I-64 east into Ky.

Doctari
10-05-2007, 20:34
The spot on Headchange's map is where we spent the night last weekend!

The nearest parking lot is on Tunnel Ridge Rd, don't know if that is on google maps, but it is on my microsoft map program so google likely has it too. It's the first parking lot on the right.

It's a GREAT spot to camp.
AND, I am really trying to Weasel out of my commitment that weekend so I can go.

It shows on the map, sort of, but just up the hill NNW, (Under headchange's arrow, the left side of the point) is a GREAT place to see the sunrise, it's about 1/2 mile or so & requires taking a trail/bushwacking combo. Hammock Engineer & I had breakfast there earlier this year.

Doctari

rigidpsycho
10-06-2007, 09:33
NCPatrick I looked at the map again and i believe it may be quicker to take I-77 to I-64W then look for the Bert T Combs Mountain Parkway, which will take you to the gorge and Natural Bridge Exits

headchange4u
10-06-2007, 09:58
NCPatrick I looked at the map again and i believe it may be quicker to take I-77 to I-64W then look for the Bert T Combs Mountain Parkway, which will take you to the gorge and Natural Bridge Exits

I will let you know that Hwy 460 that goes through Pikeville, Prestonsburg, Elkhorn City, etc goes through several towns and you will have to deal with stop lights and such. Just FYI.

peanuts
10-06-2007, 18:16
Georgia to Kentucky a long way? No! Surely you jest! :p

well, for me to drive alone for that long is kind of scary. i tend to get road hypnotized:o! any georgia hangers going to attend????

NCPatrick
10-08-2007, 13:43

Hmm. I checked that on Google Maps. Here's where I was going to go: Starting location changed to protect the innocent.
map1 (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&saddr=Wake+Forest+University,+Winston-Salem,+North+Carolina+27106&daddr=1890+Natural+Bridge+Rd,+Slade,+KY+40376&sll=36.97283,-81.991555&sspn=2.970893,3.790283&ie=UTF8&ll=36.967449,-81.97998&spn=2.971064,3.790283&z=8&om=1)
versus this:
map2 (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&saddr=Wake+Forest+University,+Winston-Salem,+North+Carolina+27106&daddr=37.991834,-81.293335+to:1890+Natural+Bridge+Rd,+Slade,+KY+403 76&mrcr=0,1&mrsp=1&sz=8&mra=dpe&sll=36.967449,-81.97998&sspn=2.971064,3.790283&ie=UTF8&z=8&om=1)

So your way is slightly longer than the other, (although it might be better to stick to the highways...)

On my trip to Maryland this past weekend, "the Google" was dead-on timewise.

Doctari
10-08-2007, 17:02
Yea, I would go with map #1, that's mostly how we got back from TD this year.

UM, be careful at the intersection of 19 & 58 in/near Hansonville, it is a tiny rd, & so is the sign. If you see signs saying "Lebanon next 3 exits" TURN AROUND, you are "Lost".

NCPatrick
10-08-2007, 20:06
Yea, I would go with map #1, that's mostly how we got back from TD this year.

UM, be careful at the intersection of 19 & 58 in/near Hansonville, it is a tiny rd, & so is the sign. If you see signs saying "Lebanon next 3 exits" TURN AROUND, you are "Lost".

Thanks for that tip. If I'm leaving later and it's going to be dark, I may opt for map2. It's simpler.

slowhike
10-20-2007, 11:24
i'm still not absolutely sure if i'll be able to make this trip, but i would sure like to.
my mom lives w/ me at my house & i kinda take care of her.
she has lots of health problems & they seem to have gotten worse lately so i don't feel as safe leaving her alone for the whole weekend as often as i used to.
i'll have to see how she does in the coming weeks.
it's the weekend before Thanksgiving (Nov 16-18), right? ...tim

Hooch
10-20-2007, 13:51
Yep, that's the weekend, Tim. Hope to see you there!

rigidpsycho
10-23-2007, 13:44
So which area are we gonna be going to( the highlighted spot on HC4U's map?)

headchange4u
10-23-2007, 15:16
So which area are we gonna be going to( the highlighted spot on HC4U's map?)

That should be the spot. Hopefully I can do a day hike before the hang out and post some GPS data.

Hooch
10-24-2007, 07:01
Hopefully I can do a day hike before the hang out and post some GPS data. If you do, let me know, I'd love to go with you if I have the time.

NCPatrick
10-24-2007, 07:06
Where are you guys hiking in from on the 16th?

I'd like to try to meet someone in whichever parking area you're starting from. (I got the 16th off, so I should be able to get in there much earlier than just "dark" - maybe around 3 or 4 or earlier, depending on when I get away in the morning.)

Hooch
10-24-2007, 07:11

I'd like to try to meet someone in whichever parking area you're starting from. (I got the 16th off, so I should be able to get in there much earlier than just "dark" - maybe around 3 or 4 or earlier, depending on when I get away in the morning.) I haven't decided yet from which parking lot I'm hiking. I thought about doing the Swinging Bridge parking lot like Doctari and I did last time we were there. But the hike from the Gray's Arch Parking lot is shorter, so I may do that one. If you want to meet somewhere and hike in with me NCP, I'd be happy to wait for you.

NCPatrick
10-24-2007, 07:13
I haven't decided yet from which parking lot I'm hiking. I thought about doing the Swinging Bridge parking lot like Doctari and I did last time we were there. But the hike from the Gray's Arch Parking lot is shorter, so I may do that one. If you want to meet somewhere and hike in with me NCP, I'd be happy to wait for you.

Thanks. That would be great. Just let me know where to meet you and I'll be there (and I'll try to get there even earlier if I have a specific time to shoot for).

Hooch
10-24-2007, 07:19
Thanks. That would be great. Just let me know where to meet you and I'll be there (and I'll try to get there even earlier if I have a specific time to shoot for).Great, then we'll go for the Gray's Arch parking lot @ 0600. See ya there. Ok, I'm kidding. I'll get a time set when we get a lil closer, but I'd like to begin hiking no later than 1400 (2pm), and preferably by noon.

NCPatrick
10-24-2007, 07:34
Whew! That would have made for a loooong night.

Might be able get there by 12:30 - 1:00ish, if I don't take a wrong turn.

slowhike
10-24-2007, 07:42

what did you say was your estimated drive time?

NCPatrick
10-24-2007, 07:47
Drive time will be about 6 hours.

headchange4u
10-24-2007, 08:18

I'd like to try to meet someone in whichever parking area you're starting from. (I got the 16th off, so I should be able to get in there much earlier than just "dark" - maybe around 3 or 4 or earlier, depending on when I get away in the morning.)

I am planning on hiking in from Gray's Arch parking lot. I may get there early in the day, maybe around 2-3 on Friday.

Are going to try and do a hot dog dinner or something on Saturday night? I will bring hot dogs if others want to bring buns, condiments, burnable paper plates, and maybe some potato salad or baked bean or something similar.

headchange4u
10-24-2007, 08:19
For Those attending the hang out you will have to purchase a overnight , 2 day pass. It only cost like $3 and can be purchased at any of the outfitters or gas stations in the area. When you get off the Slade exit there is a Shell station right off the exit and they can be purchased there.

NCPatrick
10-24-2007, 08:26
Geez, $3.00? This is getting expensive... ;)

Big E
10-24-2007, 13:24
regarding the hotdogs, are we going to be able to have a fire down there? The last thing I heard was that even with the recent deluge the DBNF was still banning fires outside developed areas. I know we are a few weeks away, but they are making it sound like they are keeping the ban through December.

I am also planning on coming in the early afternoon from Gray's Arch.

NCPatrick
10-24-2007, 13:30
Hmmm... no fires?

Cold hot dogs might be okay, but I wonder what I am going to do to get my morning coffee? :confused: :eek: I'd better start thinking of my plan B!

headchange4u
10-24-2007, 13:54
It's been raining for about 3 days now and more rain is expected. Hopefully by the time the the hang out comes around the fire ban will be lifted. I hope to have a wood burning stove made by then and I plan on using it, fire ban or not.

Maybe we can all gather around my quart-paint-can-sized wood burner and cooking our hot dogs.:D :p :rolleyes:

rigidpsycho
10-24-2007, 13:57
I am planning on hiking in from Gray's Arch parking lot. I may get there early in the day, maybe around 2-3 on Friday.

Are going to try and do a hot dog dinner or something on Saturday night? I will bring hot dogs if others want to bring buns, condiments, burnable paper plates, and maybe some potato salad or baked bean or something similar.

I can try to get some potato chips from one of my friends that works for Frito Lays. I'll be coming down on Saturday.

GrizzlyAdams
10-24-2007, 14:00
Hmmm... no fires?

Cold hot dogs might be okay, but I wonder what I am going to do to get my morning coffee? :confused: :eek: I'd better start thinking of my plan B!

My plan B (http://www.joltgum.com). I'll bring extra ;)

Grizz

NCPatrick
10-24-2007, 14:04
Yeah, either that or one of those extra-caffeinated energy drinks... thanks.

headchange4u
10-24-2007, 14:34
My plan B (http://www.joltgum.com). I'll bring extra ;)

Grizz

Not to digress to far.. but does that Jolt chewing gum have a good caffeine kick to it? I have a 2-3 cup a day habit right now...;)

GrizzlyAdams
10-24-2007, 14:41
Not to digress to far.. but does that Jolt chewing gum have a good caffeine kick to it? I have a 2-3 cup a day habit right now...;)

The claim is that 2 tablets are equivalent to one cup. I've used these when hiking and I didn't want to carry coffee fixings. I'd get a good kick-start in the morning chomping on 4 of them, a couple more during the day for maintenance. 'bout right for normal coffee. Now if you have an expresso habit that's another matter...

Grizz

bmike
10-24-2007, 14:42
Maybe we can all gather around my quart-paint-can-sized wood burner and cooking our hot dogs.:D :p :rolleyes:

only if there are plenty of chemicals to burn off so they can be absorbed into the dogs! :D

NCPatrick
10-24-2007, 14:51
The claim is that 2 tablets are equivalent to one cup. I've used these when hiking and I didn't want to carry coffee fixings. I'd get a good kick-start in the morning chomping on 4 of them, a couple more during the day for maintenance. 'bout right for normal coffee. Now if you have an expresso habit that's another matter...

Grizz

Where's the best place to buy them?

Hooch
10-24-2007, 15:35
HC, let me know what you want me to bring and I'll make sure it happens. Don't know about y'all, but I'm very much looking forward to this trip. The weekend before, DevilDoc and I are hiking a section of the AT, so this will make 2 hikes/hangouts 2 weekends in a row for me. I can't wait! I'm getting all giddy and have to go now. :D :p

GrizzlyAdams
10-24-2007, 15:44
Where's the best place to buy them?

I can't recall seeing them anywhere in retail stores.

I got mine from ThinkGeek.com (http://www.thinkgeek.com/) I think. Warning, only follow that link if you've got time to kill. So many geeky toys!

Geeky Grizz

slowhike
10-24-2007, 15:46
HC, let me know what you want me to bring and I'll make sure it happens. Don't know about y'all, but I'm very much looking forward to this trip. The weekend before, DevilDoc and I are hiking a section of the AT, so this will make 2 hikes/hangouts 2 weekends in a row for me. I can't wait! I'm getting all giddy and have to go now. :D :p

well giddy-up!!! you lucky rascal. all i've got to do in a while is a couple car camping trips:o enjoy for the rest of us.

Hooch
10-24-2007, 15:50

regarding the hotdogs, are we going to be able to have a fire down there? The last thing I heard was that even with the recent deluge the DBNF was still banning fires outside developed areas. I know we are a few weeks away, but they are making it sound like they are keeping the ban through December.

NCP, as we get a little closer, I'll get up w/ you about figuring a time/place to meet. HC, do you want to carpool down? As far as the burn ban is concerned, things are looking up here. Like HC said, we've had more than 5" of rain over the last 3 days with more to come. Officials also lifted the water restrictions here in Lexington, so things are definitely heading in the right direction. I do think that a hotdog cookout is a good idea, even if we have to cook them in NCP's Jetboil. Thanks for volunteering, you're a true team player! :D Doctari, hope you're still able to "weasel" out of your commitment that weekend so you can come with us. Looking forward to it!

Cannibal
10-24-2007, 19:23
I got mine from ThinkGeek.com (http://www.thinkgeek.com/) I think. Warning, only follow that link if you've got time to kill. So many geeky toys!

Geeky Grizz

What ever you do, DON'T PUSH THIS BUTTON! Makes me go push the button every time. Thanks Grizz. :p :D

slowhike
10-24-2007, 19:33
backpackinglight.com has a couple caffeine products. i don't know if you have to be a member to follow this link though...
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/sf/Cooking%20and%20Hydration/Caffeinated%20Products/index.html

GrizzlyAdams
10-24-2007, 20:50
What ever you do, DON'T PUSH THIS BUTTON! Makes me go push the button every time. Thanks Grizz. :p :D

you was warned!

I waste way too much time cruising around on the internet, if I can help others do that too I don't feel so bad. ;)

Grizz

headchange4u
10-24-2007, 21:39
HC, do you want to carpool down?

Sounds good to me.

NCPatrick
10-25-2007, 06:37
you was warned!

I waste way too much time cruising around on the internet, if I can help others do that too I don't feel so bad. ;)

Grizz

Speaking of caffeine, I found this (http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/japanfan/68ad/)there.

Hooch
10-25-2007, 06:44
HC, do you want to carpool down?

Sounds good to me. I'll get up with you closer to the hangout to figure out the particulars, especially once I work things out with NCPatrick to see when and where we're going to meet. I'll drive if you want, I'll even supply the drive music. :D

Ewker
10-25-2007, 11:59
has a date been decided on...whether I can go or not depends on when I have surgery

NCPatrick
10-25-2007, 12:02
Yes, this is November 16, 17, and 18th. When's your surgery scheduled?

Hooch
10-25-2007, 12:05
When's your surgery scheduled? Better yet, what's it for? I'm kidding. Seriously though Ewker, no matter what it is, serious or not, I hope everyting turns out ok and you have a short, uncomlicated postoperative course. Best of wishes to you, our fingers are crossed for ya.

Cannibal
10-25-2007, 12:16
Seriously though Ewker, no matter what it is, serious or not, I hope everyting turns out ok and you have a short, uncomlicated postoperative course. Best of wishes to you, our fingers are crossed for ya.

Yep, I'll second that. Hoping for a fast recovery and very cute, friendly nurses...not Hooch! :eek: :p :D

Ewker
10-25-2007, 12:16
Yes, this is November 16, 17, and 18th. When's your surgery scheduled?

I wish I knew. My family Dr found the problem but the surgeon hasn't yet. Until she does she will not schedule me for surgery.

Better yet, what's it for? I'm kidding. Seriously though Ewker, no matter what it is, serious or not, I hope everyting turns out ok and you have a short, uncomlicated postoperative course. Best of wishes to you, our fingers are crossed for ya.

It is just a hernia which is no big deal. Unfortunately I was in the Smokies last weekend with a group camping and the standing around/lugging stuff from the car caused it to raise its ugly head. I ended up having to lay down a few times and push it back in.
There is the problem as it only happens when I am out doing things on the weekend and not during the week while I work.
The Dr told me not to lift anything over 10 lbs..I told her I was gonna lift a 100 lbs if it would make it pop out...she didn't like that

NCPatrick
10-25-2007, 12:20
Well, I hope you can somehow make it to RRG next month. (I don't know how long it takes to recover from that surgery... but hopefully not very long).

rigidpsycho
10-25-2007, 15:45
Had hernia surgery back in '01. They say the way they do it now most people are up and about two or three days. I was down alittle longer b/c I waited to long to find out that is what I had and it was worse than they expected. hang in there Ewker. Hope you are able to make it.

rigidpsycho
10-25-2007, 16:07

Just called the Winchester office of the US Forestry and there is still a fire ban in the Daniel Boone National Forest. It started Oct 4th and is to run at least 120 days.

Hooch
11-02-2007, 07:10
Is there anyone going to the RRG Hangout who wants to meet somewhere on Friday, November 17 so anyone who wants to can hike in as a group? I know NCPatrick and Grizzly Adams want to, but is there anyone else so I can start planning for it? Big E? Rigidpsycho? Doctari, are you going to be able to make it? Anyone else? Beuller? Beuller? :D

NCPatrick
11-02-2007, 07:13
What if we met at that Pizza place? Miguels?

Hooch
11-02-2007, 07:25
Not sure where it is, but HC is probably riding with me, so he does. If for some reason he doesn't, I'm sure he can give directions. Good idea, NCP.

NCPatrick
11-02-2007, 07:34
Hooch, the address for the Pizza place is here (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=30674#post30674).

Miguel's Pizza , 1890 Natural Bridge Rd., Slade, Ky 40376

Hooch
11-02-2007, 07:42
Hooch, the address for the Pizza place is here (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=30674#post30674).

Miguel's Pizza , 1890 Natural Bridge Rd., Slade, Ky 40376 Well, Duh! I should have thought to Google and Mapquest it. Dunno where my braing was on that one. It's very easy to find. I think that one may work as a good meeting place.

NCPatrick
11-02-2007, 07:47
Want me to meet you at Miguel's on Friday the 16th? Around 12:30 - 13:00? If I leave around 0630, I could make it by then.

headchange4u
11-02-2007, 08:09
Miguel's Pizza is kinda the opposite way we need to go. I just Miguel's for reference.

It would be better to meet at the Shell gas station right off the Slade exit. You can also get your back country passes there, so 2 birds with one stone...

NCPatrick
11-02-2007, 08:24
Do you mean this (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=Shell&near=Slade,+Ky+40376&ie=UTF8&ll=37.796017,-83.700886&spn=0.047951,0.079823&z=14&iwloc=A&om=1)one?

Natural Bridge Shell
12187 Campton Rd
Stanton, KY 40380

headchange4u
11-02-2007, 08:38
Do you mean this (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=Shell&near=Slade,+Ky+40376&ie=UTF8&ll=37.796017,-83.700886&spn=0.047951,0.079823&z=14&iwloc=A&om=1)one?

Natural Bridge Shell
12187 Campton Rd
Stanton, KY 40380

That's it exactly.

NCPatrick
11-02-2007, 08:42
Ok. Shell station is fine with me.

Hooch
11-02-2007, 15:38
Ok. Shell station is fine with me.
Sounds like a plan to me as well. We need to get Grizz to chime in on this also, so let's wait for him and see what he has to say, but I'm pretty sure he'll be cool with it. HC, U still ridin with me?

GrizzlyAdams
11-02-2007, 21:06
I'm good with Shell. If maps.google.com can find it then so can I.

Grizz

Hooch
11-03-2007, 07:19
I'm good with Shell. Does 1300 work for you Grizz, or do we need to plan for a little later? Let me know and we'll get it figured out. :D

rigidpsycho
11-03-2007, 09:27
If the temps aren't in the 20's at night I'll be down Saturday. I just don't have the gear for thoses temps.

GrizzlyAdams
11-03-2007, 09:45
Does 1300 work for you Grizz, or do we need to plan for a little later? Let me know and we'll get it figured out. :D

1300 at Shell is fine with me. I'll PM cell phone number in case of need.

Grizz

Big E
11-03-2007, 10:10
1300 works for me as well. I'll see you all there. Hooch do you still have my cell#?

Just Jeff
11-03-2007, 10:12
Is it an open fire ban, so stoves are still ok? The paint can would work, or I've boiled hot dogs in my Jetboil before. Not the same flavor, but hot dogs nonetheless.

This 8+ hrs from me...doubt I'll be able to make it. Wish I could, though.

rigidpsycho
11-03-2007, 10:58
yeah open fire ban(as far as I know) due to the severe drought we had this year and this wildfire season here.

Nest
11-03-2007, 18:27
Hmmm... don't know how I've missed this thread. Nashville to the Shell station is 4.5 hours. I am working this weekend, so I am guaranteed to be off every other weekend this month. I think it is safe to say that I will be there. Any ideas what the temps will be? I've only had my setup down to 40, but it is rated for 30 atleast. Then I just layer up to get lower.

Hooch
11-04-2007, 08:04
1300 at Shell is fine with me. I'll PM cell phone number in case of need.

Grizz I'll look for it some time soon then.

1300 works for me as well. I'll see you all there. Hooch do you still have my cell#? Yessir, I do. See y'all @1300 @ Natural Bridge Shell

Hooch
11-04-2007, 08:10
Hmmm... don't know how I've missed this thread. Nashville to the Shell station is 4.5 hours. I am working this weekend, so I am guaranteed to be off every other weekend this month. I think it is safe to say that I will be there. Any ideas what the temps will be? I've only had my setup down to 40, but it is rated for 30 atleast. Then I just layer up to get lower.
Cerberus, come on and join us, we'd love to have another come too. If you read the thread, we're meeting at Natural Bridge Shell @1300 on Friday, November 16. Those of us with vehicles will get 3 day passes and then we'll all convoy out to the Gray's Arch parking area. I was looking at the Weather Channel online and it looks as if the daytime temps are going to be in the 50's with lows at night in the high 30's-low 40's. If you don't have my cell, PM me and I'll shoot it to you. Hope to see ya there! :D

Nest
11-04-2007, 08:46
Cerberus, come on and join us, we'd love to have another come too. If you read the thread, we're meeting at Natural Bridge Shell @1300 on Friday, November 16. Those of us with vehicles will get 3 day passes and then we'll all convoy out to the Gray's Arch parking area. I was looking at the Weather Channel online and it looks as if the daytime temps are going to be in the 50's with lows at night in the high 30's-low 40's. If you don't have my cell, PM me and I'll shoot it to you. Hope to see ya there! :D

I don't delete my PMs so I still have your number in there. My mom agreed to babysit my dog, so I'll be there.

Hooch
11-04-2007, 17:27
I don't delete my PMs so I still have your number in there. My mom agreed to babysit my dog, so I'll be there. Sweet, lookin forward to it. Bring your dog too. :D

Doctari
11-04-2007, 18:36
FYI:
a 3 day pass is $5.00 and is "good till noon after last date"
a 1 day pass is $3.00 & is "good till Noon of the 2nd day."
A season pass is $35.00 (May be $30, I really didn't pay that much attention as it's the end of the year) & the 08 ones arn't for sale yet.

When at the Shell, get a free map, not great, but it's free & you can plan a side trip or two from it.

I'll likely be there 2 days, but am getting a 3 day pass.

If this weekend was any indication:
There should be ample water.
The leaves are falling FAST, so there may be none left.
The leaves are falling fast, so the trails are slippery.
It will be cold out there.
Since it will be cold, there may be fewer people :D

Nest
11-04-2007, 20:31
Sweet, lookin forward to it. Bring your dog too. :D

My dog is horrible camping. He's very sweet and non-aggressive until I go to sleep. When I sleep he won't let anything or anyone near me. Best to just leave him home.

NCPatrick
11-05-2007, 16:01
I'm still going to try to make the hangout, but my schedule is full and filling up. This week I'm Mr. Mom until Friday afternoon. Next week I fly to San Antonio (family illness and obligations) and should return the Wed. before the hangout.

Keep your fingers crossed for me that it still works out.

GrizzlyAdams
11-05-2007, 16:07
sorry about that. Life happens...(actually one of the reasons I had time to work on hammocks this summer was due to an illness in the family that caused me to cancel all travel during July and August.)

Hope it works out for all concerned.

Grizz

NCPatrick
11-05-2007, 18:56
Thanks Grizz, me too.

Hooch
11-06-2007, 03:38
Thanks Grizz, me too. Ditto, NCPatrick. I hope that everything works out and you're still able to join us here. If not, then we'll just see ya next time! :D

headchange4u
11-08-2007, 17:56
Looks like I will be doing some gear testing at this hang out....

I have one of Speer's Winter Tarps on the way and it should be here by Monday. I plan on doing a review of it.

I will also giving my HH clone a rest because I will be sleeping in my Ticket To The Moon hammock that just arrived. I will take my HH clone as a backup, but this will be the first time I have slept in anything else since I made my HH clone. I am doing a review of the hammock for TTM. Of course the trusty SnugFit will be my under quilt. :)

Ewker
11-09-2007, 09:00
I am still not sure about this trip. Last weekend I was doing some navigation training where we had to bushwhack thru the woods. By the time I got back to my car the good old hernia had popped out again. I still managed to go mountain bike riding later on that day but had to stop a few times for adjustments...lol

If I come up it will be late Friday night when I get there.

I thought I saw a map where you will be base camping for the weekend. It didn't look that far in so I maybe I can make it.

Is the place where you are camping legal? The reason I ask is that the rangers (from what I have heard) are cracking down on illegal campsites with a stiff fine for everyone.

Ok I didn't find the map...anyone know where it is?

NCPatrick
11-09-2007, 09:05
I will not be able to make it. Issues have arisen that make a trip to Kentucky impractical...

Wouldn't be prudent at this juncture, a 1,000 points of light! :rolleyes: .

I'll hopefully catch you all at the Winter hangout, or somewhere else down the trail.

headchange4u
11-09-2007, 09:06
You should be able to camp anywhere in the RRG as long as it's 300 feet from the trail. I have not heard anything about illegal campsites.

headchange4u
11-09-2007, 09:08
I will not be able to make it. Issues have arisen that make a trip to Kentucky impractical...

I'll hopefully catch you all at the Winter hangout, or somewhere else down the trail.

Sorry you couldn't make it. Maybe next time.

GrizzlyAdams
11-09-2007, 10:14

Too bad. Kentucky is a long ways away. I was looking forward to meeting you and your DIY gear. Next time then...

Grizz

headchange4u
11-09-2007, 10:38
Ok I didn't find the map...anyone know where it is?

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2226

Ewker
11-09-2007, 12:09
Headchange4U, thanks for the map.

Looking at where you want to camp at I don't see a "C" which means a legal camping spot. You might want to call just to play it safe. I got the info off a backpacking site about the rangers handing out fines,150.00 per person :eek:

You know the campsite about a 1/4 mile in on the Martins Forks Trail that tons of folks camp at, well that is an illegal site. There is even a no camping sign that has been taken down a few times. Again better safe than sorry.

headchange4u
11-09-2007, 12:43

Looking at where you want to camp at I don't see a "C" which means a legal camping spot. You might want to call just to play it safe. I got the info off a backpacking site about the rangers handing out fines,150.00 per person :eek:

You know the campsite about a 1/4 mile in on the Martins Forks Trail that tons of folks camp at, well that is an illegal site. There is even a no camping sign that has been taken down a few times. Again better safe than sorry.

I don't think that there any "No camping here" signs around that spot. Hooch or Doctari were there not to long ago so they can answer that. I know there is a fire ring at the site.

The fines are a new one on me. What site did you read that they were fining people? If there was no sign stating that there was no camping in that spot, it looks like the ranger would at least ask you to move before fining someone. The last time I went to the RRG with Doctari and his son we took a short trip on the Rough Trail, just off Hwy 77, across the road from the Martin's Fork trail head. There were several "camp sites" (read: clear, flat ground, fire ring, and log/stone benches) not far from the road that displayed highly visible "no camping here" signs and there were tents at almost every site. One site had about 6-8 tents set up right under the "no camping" sign. Kinda makes you laugh but I could see why a ranger might fine someone in a situation like that.

Of course those ground dwellers are limited to flat areas to camp on while a hanger can set up camp almost anywhere. :p ;) :D

I will probably set my hammock up somewhere private, off from the main social site/fire ring area, so maybe I will be safe.

BTW,

Did anyone ever post a thread on WB about this outing?

Big E
11-09-2007, 16:59
The rangers told us a few months ago when we took a scout group down that anywhere in the back country is fair game for camping as long as you get at least 100 feet off the trail and there are no "NO CAMPING" signs in that spot.

Doctari
11-10-2007, 07:29

I have camped there 2 times this year, both ends of the valley (where most of the sites are) are well over the 300' limit. And not all 'legal" campsites are marked on the map, not by a long shot. The "group hang out area" is almost on the trail, but I don't think anyone will actually be camping there.

Doctari.

Hooch
11-10-2007, 08:41
I don't think that there any "No camping here" signs around that spot. Hooch or Doctari were there not to long ago so they can answer that. I know there is a fire ring at the site.

BTW,

Did anyone ever post a thread on WB about this outing?
HC, I put a post on WhitBlaze about the hangout some time ago and have not had one single reply to it. Their loss. As far as Ewker's concern about so-called illegal campsites, there as none AS LONG AS ONE ADHERES TO THE FOLLOWING RULES:

CAMPING - Camping is NOT permitted:

In any picnic area or parking area.
Within 300 feet of any road or developed trail.
Within 100 feet of the base of any cliff, or the back of any rockshelter.
Within 600 feet of Gray’s Arch.
Within any area posted “No Camping.

Those are the rules governing backcountry camping in the Gorge taken directly from the Daniel Boone National Forest Website (http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/boone/districts/cumberland/redriver_gorge.shtml). Any other information, if you ask me, is no more than hearsay.

Hooch
11-10-2007, 09:52
Ok, guys, is there anyone coming to the RRG Hangout that has an extra underquilt that I can borrow for the outing? I thought about trying to rig up an old sleeping bag as an UQ, but think that a proper underquilt would work better. If not, I'll rig up something with the old sleeping bag. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

NCPatrick, sorry you can't make it, you'll be missed my friend. Hopefully, we'll see you at the winter hangout. I'll pick up the slack and bring the condiments for the hotdogs along with the buns. Anyone want anything besides mustard and ketchup? :D

Ewker
11-10-2007, 09:59
Hooch, considering my source it isn't hearsay. They backpack at RRG at least twice a month and have talked to the rangers about it.

The rangers are trying to stop the illegal sites (which I hope they do). RRG is getting loved to death unfortunately.

headchange4u, the campsite (Rough Trail) you mentioned is the one I am talking about..totally an illegal site since the trail runs right thru where everyone camps. Yes there is no camping signs there now.

First time I camped there I didn't know it was an illegal site. It looks just like what you decribed except there wasn't a no camping sign

Hooch
11-10-2007, 10:10
Hooch, considering my source it isn't hearsay. They backpack at RRG at least twice a month and have talked to the rangers about it.

The rangers are trying to stop the illegal sites (which I hope they do). RRG is getting loved to death unfortunately.

headchange4u, the campsite (Rough Trail) you mentioned is the one I am talking about..totally an illegal site since the trail runs right thru where everyone camps. Yes there is no camping signs there now.

First time I camped there I didn't know it was an illegal site. It looks just like what you decribed except there wasn't a no camping sign The site we're staying at isn't illegal at all. There is a site right on the trail, but the site we're using is off the trail at least 300'; in compliance with the published regulations that are set forth. Again, if one follows the published regualtions regarding campsites, you're covered. If not, then hit 'em with the fine. Again, withthe exception of the current ban on backcountry fires, the only regulations governing camping at the Gorge are as follows:

CAMPING - Camping is NOT permitted:

In any picnic area or parking area.
Within 300 feet of any road or developed trail.
Within 100 feet of the base of any cliff, or the back of any rockshelter.
Within 600 feet of Gray’s Arch.
Within any area posted “No Camping.

Those are the rules set forth, straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak. Any other info apparently comes from the horse's other end. :D

Ewker
11-10-2007, 10:34
This was an FYI take it however you want. Just becareful since the rangers are cracking down.

BTW I finally go back to another surgeon this Tuesday. The CT scan found the hernia so hopefully I can get it over and done with ASAP. It has already ruined my 2 AT section hikes I had planned :mad:

Mule
11-10-2007, 11:07
You're on, Doctari! Count me in, but I hope to make a trip or 2 to the Gorge before then. I've been here in KY for 10 yrs now and never been. I think HC is planning an overnighter this weekend, but it's my first night back from vacation so I can't get out of work to go. :( Anyway, I'd love to attend the November RRG Hangout.
Hooch, I am a new member from Indiana and have been to the gorge a few times years ago. I am thinking about hiking the gorge end to end and back soon. Have you ever done this? I hope they have the hangout there at RRG. It is close enough for me to make. I hope newbies are welcome. Steve (Mule)

Mule
11-10-2007, 11:15
After reading these posts, I am surprised to see how many people are camping in the gorge now. I haven't been there for about ten years or so and back then we had nearly the entire place to ourselves. It was erie, not even any birds. Only a few crow calls heard for two days. Back then I was a tent camper, not yet gone to bivies let alone hammocks. My buddy and I hike ten miles out toward some of the rock shelters and never found one flat place to set up a tent. We hiked back.
I have not been on one of your hanouts, but I would learn a lot just seeing your setups. Do new guys show up too?
Mule

rigidpsycho
11-10-2007, 11:39
After reading these posts, I am surprised to see how many people are camping in the gorge now. I haven't been there for about ten years or so and back then we had nearly the entire place to ourselves. It was erie, not even any birds. Only a few crow calls heard for two days. Back then I was a tent camper, not yet gone to bivies let alone hammocks. My buddy and I hike ten miles out toward some of the rock shelters and never found one flat place to set up a tent. We hiked back.
I have not been on one of your hanouts, but I would learn a lot just seeing your setups. Do new guys show up too?
Mule

This is going to be my first hang, so if ya can make it come on down it should be alot of fun. I'm hoping to learn alot from the others that hang alot more often.

headchange4u
11-10-2007, 11:40
Ok, guys, is there anyone coming to the RRG Hangout that has an extra underquilt that I can borrow for the outing? I thought about trying to rig up an old sleeping bag as an UQ, but think that a proper underquilt would work better. If not, I'll rig up something with the old sleeping bag. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Hooch,

You are welcome to use one of my JRB quilts. There is a small snag though; I told ridgepsycho that he can use one also, but the problem is that I have only one JRB suspension system. I'm sure if you can pick up some shock cord (I think J&H sells it) we can rig one up with some well placed knots.

I have to say that the JRB quilts are UL and will probably on give you protection down to 40* or so, but adding a pad should keep you warm enough.

Ridgepsycho will also be using my Gear Guide tarp. Since I just bought the Speer Winter Tarp I would be glad to let someone use my 12x10 cat cut DIY tarp if they want. Just let me know.

I also have an extra Gossamer Gear Thinlight pad, the long/wide model, that someone can use if they want.

et al,

I also checked the 10 day forecast for the RRG area and it looks like it will be raining Monday, Tuesday, and Wensday of next week and if it does I think we should be pretty safe starting a fire. The weather for the hangout looks good:Friday cloudy with a high of ~53 and a low of 33~ and the same thing on Saturday. Kentucky weather is fickle and can change in an instant but I think that's a pretty good indication of what to expect.

rigidpsycho
11-10-2007, 11:53
Hooch,

You are welcome to use one of my JRB quilts. There is a small snag though; I told ridgepsycho that he can use one also, but the problem is that I have only one JRB suspension system. I'm sure if you can pick up some shock cord (I think J&H sells it) we can rig one up with some well placed knots.

I have to say that the JRB quilts are UL and will probably on give you protection down to 40* or so, but adding a pad should keep you warm enough.

Ridgepsycho will also be using my Gear Guide tarp. Since I just bought the Speer Winter Tarp I would be glad to let someone use my 12x10 cat cut DIY tarp if they want. Just let me know.

I also have an extra Gossamer Gear Thinlight pad, the long/wide model, that someone can use if they want.

et al,

I also checked the 10 day forecast for the RRG area and it looks like it will be raining Monday, Tuesday, and Wensday of next week and if it does I think we should be pretty safe starting a fire. The weather for the hangout looks good:Friday cloudy with a high of ~53 and a low of 33~ and the same thing on Saturday. Kentucky weather is fickle and can change in an instant but I think that's a pretty good indication of what to expect.

hc4u, I'lllet ya know if I need to borrow you Uq tomorrow or Monday, gonna test hang tonight, just got a new bag and for pad I am gonna use an old windshield reflector and hopefully a thermarest pad

Hooch
11-10-2007, 12:00
Hooch, I am a new member from Indiana and have been to the gorge a few times years ago. I am thinking about hiking the gorge end to end and back soon. Have you ever done this? I hope they have the hangout there at RRG. It is close enough for me to make. I hope newbies are welcome. Steve (Mule) Mule, I haven't done the Gorge end to end, having only been there a couple times myself. There is a hangout this weekend, as you can see by reading this thread and newbies are definitely welcome. Everyone here was a newbie at one time. Welcome aboard, by the way! If you are so inclined, RRG is only about a 4.5 hr drive from Kokomo according to Mapquest. We'd love to have you come with us. A few of us are meeting at 1300 (1:00 pm) at the Slade Shell Station and are going to convoy in to the Gray's Arch parking lot for the hike in to our site. We'd love to have you come along if you can. It's going to be a great group of guys, we'll have a great hang and have a blast! PM me if you need any more info than what is listed in this thread.

Edit: Semper Fi, Marine!

Hooch
11-10-2007, 12:05
Hooch,

HC, I'll run by one of the J&H locations and pick up some shock cord. thanks. It'll give me an excuse to check out the new location on Romany Road. :D I'll bring a Ridge Rest pad and a sleeping bag liner to add extra warmth. Thanks again. I'll talk to you later in the week to figure out what time we're heading out to the Gorge on Friday, but I was thinking about picking you up around 11 or 11:30 or so if it's cool with you. Looking forward to seeing everyone then!

Mule
11-10-2007, 12:34
Hooch and everyone, Thanks for the invitation. I will try to see you at the station at 12:30 or so. I know what I need for ground camping in cold weather, but this will be only my second time HANGIN. Do you all think a Super Shelter with torso and kidney pads and sleeping on a pad will be warm enough? I don't have an outside insulation piece of gear, but I think I will be OK. I may rig up a summer sleeping bag between my SS open cell foam pad and the hammock.
See you all there I hope. Is there anyone from around these parts of Indiana that need a ride? Also, what can I bring? Do some of you bring whiskey or anything? Would that offend anyone in the group? Mule

Mule
11-10-2007, 12:36
Also, you all might want me to camp a click away. Last time (only time) I set up my hammock I thrashed around for a half hour, had the slit of the HH end up on TOP once and basically made an %*(^& out of myself. Mule

headchange4u
11-10-2007, 12:44
skskinner,

Here's a map (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2226) as well as a list of what everyone is bringing. If you wanna volunteer to bring something post it in that thread. I don't drink that much but I have no problems with you bring and sharing a little of you adult beverages.

I have no experience with the SS, but I think will be comfortable with the setup you described.

Hooch
11-10-2007, 13:16
Do some of you bring whiskey or anything? Would that offend anyone in the group? Mule If you're coming to the hangout, you'll obviously be in Kentucky. We don't drink whiskey here, just good Kentucky bourbon. :D I don't think anyone will be offended if you bring an adult beverage, I just don't drink them in the backcountry.

Mule
11-10-2007, 13:24
I usually don't drink on backpacks either, but I used to belong to a group, the Indiana Wilderness Club I think it was called, and they DRANK BIGTIME. I was just fishing to see if this group was similar. It wouldn't have changed my mind about going though, but I probably won't bring anything. I know Kentucky is Bourbon country. That is sad...... I am a scotch person usually.

Mule
11-11-2007, 02:03
skskinner,

Here's a map (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2226) as well as a list of what everyone is bringing. If you wanna volunteer to bring something post it in that thread. I don't drink that much but I have no problems with you bring and sharing a little of you adult beverages.

I have no experience with the SS, but I think will be comfortable with the setup you described.
Sorry, I did not get the list of what everyone was bringing or the thread to look at. I did get the map. Can you shoot me a note again on the list? Thanks
Mule

Mule
11-11-2007, 02:04
Headchange4u,
Now I see it is in the same thread as the map, duhhh
Mule

peanuts
11-12-2007, 12:24
guys, have a great trip!! wish i could go, but i am not driving that far ever again:( (tn hangout took care of that)
stay warm........:)

Hooch
11-12-2007, 12:32
guys, have a great trip!! wish i could go, but i am not driving that far ever again:( (tn hangout took care of that)
stay warm........:)Thanks, no worries and we will!

Doctari
11-13-2007, 13:13
OK, I was planning on leaving work at 6 AM on Friday & going down. Sadly a friend died Sat :( & for what ever reason her daughter is having the funeral on FRIDAY, , late PM. :rolleyes:
Even if I just go to the viewing for a few minutes, I can't leave till after 5:30PM + 3 hrs drive time = 8:30PM arrival at trailhead + 1 hr night hike to site, well, you get the picture.

So anyway, think of me maybe once as you hangout.

Hooch
11-13-2007, 16:11
OK, I was planning on leaving work at 6 AM on Friday & going down. Sadly a friend died Sat :( & for what ever reason her daughter is having the funeral on FRIDAY, , late PM. :rolleyes:
Even if I just go to the viewing for a few minutes, I can't leave till after 5:30PM + 3 hrs drive time = 8:30PM arrival at trailhead + 1 hr night hike to site, well, you get the picture.

So anyway, think of me maybe once as you hangout. Doctari, first off, I'm sorry about your friend's passing. I'm sorry that you won't be able to make it this weekend, we were looking forward to seeing you. You'll definitely be in our thoughts this weekend, you'll be missed my friend.

Hooch
11-13-2007, 16:47
I just got done talking with Rigidpsycho about the weather for this weekend at RRG. So I thought I'd share for those who are coming:

Friday
Mostly sunny
Hi 48
Lo 31
10% chance of precipitation

Saturday
Mostly cloudy
Hi 56
Lo 40
20% chance of precipitation

Sunday
Few showers
Hi 56
30% chance of precipitation

There ya have it, boys and girls. Does anyone have any plans for a day hike while we're there? I'm up for one if anyone is interested.

Mule
11-13-2007, 16:52
I just got done talking with Rigidpsycho about the weather for this weekend at RRG. So I thought I'd share for those who are coming:

Friday
Mostly sunny
Hi 48
Lo 31
10% chance of precipitation

Saturday
Mostly cloudy
Hi 56
Lo 40
20% chance of precipitation

Sunday
Few showers
Hi 56
30% chance of precipitation

There ya have it, boys and girls. Does anyone have any plans for a day hike while we're there? I'm up for one if anyone is interested.
I am up for some day hikes. Mule

Hooch
11-13-2007, 17:36
For those who are coming to the RRH Hang this weekend, I thought you all might like to know that the ban on backcountry campfires has been lifted as of today. Here's the link (http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/boone/newsroom/11_13_07banlifted.shtml) to the story. See y'all there! :D

headchange4u
11-13-2007, 17:38
FFFFFFFIIIIIIIIIRRRRRRREEEEEEE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was gonna start a fire anyway so it's good they lifted the ban. :p

Hooch
11-13-2007, 17:39
FFFFFFFIIIIIIIIIRRRRRRREEEEEEE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Calm down, Beavis! See y'all Friday!

GrizzlyAdams
11-13-2007, 18:43
Day hike for me on Saturday for sure.
I'm back in the car on Sunday :(

Grizz

Mule
11-13-2007, 19:30
For those who are coming to the RRH Hang this weekend, I thought you all might like to know that the ban on backcountry campfires has been lifted as of today. Here's the link (http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/boone/newsroom/11_13_07banlifted.shtml) to the story. See y'all there! :D
Great news!!!!!!!!

headchange4u
11-13-2007, 19:33
Day hike for me on Saturday for sure.
I'm back in the car on Sunday :(

Grizz

I gotta be home between 12 and 1 on Sunday. Of course I only have a 1 hour drive.

Ewker
11-13-2007, 20:00
No backpacking for me until the 1st to middle of Jan. :mad:

Surgery is scheduled for the Monday after Thanksgiving.

Hooch, was it you who mentioned them using mesh? if so they are

Hooch
11-14-2007, 07:53
Hooch, was it you who mentioned them using mesh? if so they are It was me, indeed. It's very common for surgeonizers to use mesh to repair hernias, particularly inguinal or abdominal. God luck with your surgery Ewker. Hope all goes well for you.

Big E
11-14-2007, 10:56
Well, it looks like I won't be able to make it for the hangout. I've had a last minute issue come up with a client that will require that I travel to see them Friday and Saturday. I am bummed. Hope to see you all next time!

rigidpsycho
11-14-2007, 15:04
Well guys I won't be able to make this weekend either. My youngest daughter is in the hospital. So you guys have fun out there.

Hooch
11-14-2007, 16:18
Well, it looks like I won't be able to make it for the hangout. I've had a last minute issue come up with a client that will require that I travel to see them Friday and Saturday. I am bummed. Hope to see you all next time!Big E, sorry you won't be able to make it. I was looking forward to hiking with you again. Maybe sometime soon. Hope all goes well with your client.

Well guys I won't be able to make this weekend either. My youngest daughter is in the hospital. So you guys have fun out there. Rigidpsycho, I'm especially sorry that you can't make it either because your daughter is in the hospital. I hope she feels better soon and is home in no time flat.