PDA

View Full Version : Updated Suspension Poll

Hooch
06-14-2007, 15:40
I just saw the old suspension poll and was wondering, particularly with the popular use of ring buckle supports, if that has changed anything. So, here's the poll, folks. Same question, for the most part: What type of suspension do you use to hang with?

FanaticFringer
06-14-2007, 15:42
Ring/Buckle supports all the way baby.:cool:

headchange4u
06-14-2007, 16:49
Ring/Buckle supports all the way baby.:cool:

Ditto. Ring buckles rock.:cool:

TeeDee
06-14-2007, 16:52
I'm still experimenting with the cleats that ALHikerGal came up with on one hammock. I have noticed the torquing of the cleats that she mentioned, but nothing that would be enough to cause failure. I inspect often, as I do with the straps for the ring buckles anyway and could catch an eminent and imminent failure. They are still the most convenient suspension method that I have tried. The ring buckles are still very good also.

DGrav
06-14-2007, 16:58
I am still using the HH Tree Huggers with figure 8 lashing but I have a pair of the Hitchcraft Monsters and am considering switching to them.

angrysparrow
06-14-2007, 17:38
CC Buckles for me. I used the ring buckles for a while until I had a chance to actually tinker with the CC's, and I realized that they have all of the benefits and none of the drawbacks of the rings.

Cannibal
06-14-2007, 18:19
Ring buckles are where it's at.

Darby
06-14-2007, 18:41
Rings for me also, but I've never had a problem with Farie dust either !

btourer
06-14-2007, 19:31
Just switched to the Hitchcraft Mini's with the HH Tree Huggers and using the Figure 9's for the tarp.

NCPatrick
06-15-2007, 06:43
Ring buckles for now, although I'm experimenting with the CC buckles, and I think I may switch over to them mostly. I really like the "feng shui" of the rings :rolleyes: but the buckles work really well too, and seem to give less opportunity for the webbing to slide through.

T-BACK
06-15-2007, 08:48
I'm still using the ring buckles. I think they are a little lighter than the CC buckles. When using the CC's I still have to connect them to the hammock with a cord or rope to keep heavy rain out of my hammock. They both work well for me. Still not sure which ones I'll use on my hike.

wallace
06-15-2007, 09:44
I just finished my first section with a HH. I used the tree huggers and lashing. But now that I understand the use of the HH and after reading about the rings, I ordered the rings, biners, and strapping to make my modification.

Miguel
06-15-2007, 09:50
I've been using the rings but just ordered a set of cinch buckles. I use a Claytor hammock without a ridge line so creating a little slack to loosen the buckle is not an issue. I just think the buckles are way more bombproof when it comes to slippage. If I had a ridge line I'd probably stay with the rings. Both are soooo much easier than knots!

Miguel

Coffee
06-15-2007, 09:58
I am using rings for now. I want to play around with either buckles or clams at some point. Anything that holds and adjusts that easy is going to be hard to beat.

angrysparrow
06-15-2007, 10:02
I've been using the rings but just ordered a set of cinch buckles. I use a Claytor hammock without a ridge line so creating a little slack to loosen the buckle is not an issue. I just think the buckles are way more bombproof when it comes to slippage. If I had a ridge line I'd probably stay with the rings. Both are soooo much easier than knots!

Both ways are much better than knots!

I use the buckles now, even with a ridgeline. I find that when the hammock is empty, it's not a problem to pull the tiny amount of slack needed to release the buckles.

Curt
06-15-2007, 10:10
What's the weight of a full ring buckle setup? Assume big NW trees.

Hooch
06-15-2007, 10:18
What's the weight of a full ring buckle setup?
I haven't weighed mine, but the weight would be dependent on the type of webbing you use (nylon-vs-polypro-vs-polyester), how much of it you use, what kind of 'biners you use, the type of cordage you use to tie on to your hammock and what kind of rings you use. The most popular rings thus far seem to be SMC. I didn't switch to the ring buckles because of weight, to be honest. I went to them for ease of use and ease of adjustability. I think they're a great way to go, and, as evidenced by the poll, about half or so of the respondents thus far are using them. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not saying to go to them because everyone else is. I just think, for me personally, at least, that it's an ideal suspension system. :D

TeeDee
06-15-2007, 16:15
What's the weight of a full ring buckle setup? Assume big NW trees.

The rings weigh 0.4 oz each. You need 4, so 1.6 oz for the rings.

If you use a biner to wrap and clip the webbing, then the CAMP Nano wire carabiners are 0.8 oz, you need 2, so again 1.6 oz for the biners.

The weight of the webbing depends on what webbing you use and how much. Most people seem to use about 12' of 1" wide webbing on each end. You can get polypropylene webbing from Ed Speer. He lists 24' at 5 oz. You can use 1" wide polyester webbing. It is much stronger than polypropylene and more abrasion resistant. You can buy tie down straps from Harbor Freight such as these (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=47708). You will end up with about 12' of polyester webbing rated at 1500 lbf. The webbing is about the same weight as the polypro that Ed Speer sells. You can get polyester rated at over twice the Harbor Freight stuff from here. (http://www.strapworks.com). It is much thicker, stiffer and heavier, but much stronger also. You can get seat belt polyester from the same place that is 1.5" or 2" wide. Very flexible stuff and very strong. The wider stuff is probably good for trees with tender bark. Weight - don't know.

FanaticFringer
06-15-2007, 16:24
The Camp USA Nano biners weigh 28 grams or 1oz.

BillyBob58
06-17-2007, 21:39
I'm still using the spectra rope/tree huggers, mainly because I use the Super Shelter and stock HH skins. I'm not sure how I could take the SS on and off very easily once I put a loop/knot in the rope. The openings for the rope passage are pretty narrow. I'm not sure the skins would work easily with that loop, either. Otherwise, I would probably have switched. I guess I could use it with my Speer, though!

Jazilla
06-18-2007, 12:34
Im still using the cleat. So far I have a 3 hour nap and a full night on them and no problems

stoikurt
06-18-2007, 13:02
I use the Ring Buckle System and the Camp Nano Biners and love it. I have some of the CC buckles also and use them on some of my hammocks without ridgelines.

I just spent a week at Scout Camp sleeping in my hammock each night and it was pure heaven...well, except for the many bio breaks during the night. I even have 2 more converts. I'll be making a Risk's Z-Hammock for our Scoutmaster. He slept all week in one I had made and loved it.

FanaticFringer
06-18-2007, 20:31
I'm still using the spectra rope/tree huggers, mainly because I use the Super Shelter and stock HH skins. I'm not sure how I could take the SS on and off very easily once I put a loop/knot in the rope. The openings for the rope passage are pretty narrow. I'm not sure the skins would work easily with that loop, either. Otherwise, I would probably have switched. I guess I could use it with my Speer, though!

My snakeskins are attached below the rings. They dont come off unless I undo the knot. Works great.

greggg3
06-18-2007, 21:16
Garda hitch with biners

Bird Dog
06-20-2007, 00:34
I use straps with the CC Buckles. The only way to hang. BD

peanuts
06-20-2007, 10:58
i still use my slapstraps, since i am not brave enough to remove the cord in my hammock and replace it with new cord and the rings buckles. maybe in the next sehha gathering, someone will re-do my hammock for me:):)

southpawx3
06-20-2007, 15:46
could someone post a link for getting CC buckles. I thought someone did the other day but i cant find it now... thanks!

FanaticFringer
06-20-2007, 16:05
i still use my slapstraps, since i am not brave enough to remove the cord in my hammock and replace it with new cord and the rings buckles. maybe in the next sehha gathering, someone will re-do my hammock for me:):)

I'd be willing to do it for you seeing as though I'm just down the road. Let me know if your interested.

peanuts
06-20-2007, 16:12
ooohhhh, ff really, if you can do it the same way, heck YES!! so now i have to order the right cord. any idea of what it is?

Hooch
06-20-2007, 16:17
so now i have to order the right cord. any idea of what it is? If it were me, I'd use 3.8mm Spyderline from Annapolis Performance Sailing (http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d279000/e276769.asp). It's light, strong and fairly inexpensive. Besides, APS' customer service rocks, they're great! :D

FanaticFringer
06-20-2007, 16:26
If it were me, I'd use 3.8mm Spyderline from Annapolis Performance Sailing (http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d279000/e276769.asp). It's light, strong and fairly inexpensive. Besides, APS' customer service rocks, they're great! :D

That would work. I used my hennessy spectra rope. What kind of knot did you use at the rings hooch? I used a bowline but have heard others use a few other knots.
A larkshead would seem to be easiest.

FanaticFringer
06-20-2007, 16:38
Peanuts, I've got about 78" of extra spectra rope that I cut off of my hyperlight that I'm not using. I plan on making a homemade speer type hammock soon and will use this rope but I will have plenty left over. You can use it free of charge if you'd like.

Hooch
06-20-2007, 16:39
That would work. I used my hennessy spectra rope. What kind of knot did you use at the rings hooch? I used a bowline but have heard others use a few other knots.
A larkshead would seem to be easiest. I used the same knot that was already tied in the ENO when it came to me. All I did was untie the original knot, add the rings (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=1065) and retie the knot in the same fashion as the original. It seemed to work well for me. Like I said in another poll, I've slept 3 nights in it with zero slippage. Here (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=1067&c=2) are a couple (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=1066&c=2) more pictures of the final result (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=1068&c=2). For webbing, I used 1" polyester from Strapworks (http://www.strapworks.com/Polyester_Webbing_p/pew1.htm) with loops sewn in courtesy of HC. I picked up the BD biners @ my local outfitters. I really like the setup, it's quick, easy and makes setup a breeze. :D

Hooch
06-20-2007, 16:41
Peanuts, I've got about 78" of extra spectra rope that I cut off of my hyperlight that I'm not using. I plan on making a homemade speer type hammock soon and will use this rope but I will have plenty left over. You can use it free of charge if you'd like. I'm positive that the spectra would work just fine. Go for it and we'll expect pics of the final product. :D

peanuts
06-20-2007, 16:42
hooch mentioned that he did the same knot that the eno hammock came with.he undid the cord and re-tied it the same it came with. but since my eno is almost 5yrs i want to replace the cord and attch the rings like hooch did.

FanaticFringer
06-20-2007, 16:43
I'm positive that the spectra would work just fine. Go for it and we'll expect pics of the final product. :D

I have 3 hammocks, all with the hennessy 1450lb. test spectra and ring/buckles.

peanuts
06-20-2007, 16:44
well, ff its a deal..... so when can we do that!:) and many many thanks!!!
oh, did i mention that i am well, on the hefty side! will that cord from the hennessy hold me!!:D

Hooch
06-20-2007, 16:45
I have 3 hammocks, all with the hennessy 1450lb. test spectra and ring/buckles. Sweet, where is a good source for this Spectra? I wouldn't mind giving it a try.

FanaticFringer
06-20-2007, 16:50
Sweet, where is a good source for this Spectra? I wouldn't mind giving it a try.

This is the stuff Jeff recommends on the first page:http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/aircore_plus_spectra_cord.html
Kinda pricey though.
Dont know where you can get spectra like Hennessy uses.

Hooch
06-20-2007, 16:57
This is the stuff Jeff recommends on the first page:http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/aircore_plus_spectra_cord.html
Kinda pricey though.
Dont know where you can get spectra like Hennessy uses.

Cool, thanks for the link, I appreciate it. I'm not a BPL member, but if anyone here makes an order, I may see if I can get in on it with them. I'm thinking about changing out the stock ENO line again and replacing it with Spyderline or even possibly the AirCore Spectra. I'll just have to wait and see what strikes my fancy. To be honest, I like the idea of the 3.8mm Spyderline, particularly with it's high strength rating.

peanuts
06-20-2007, 17:00
me too, i don't know what is the diameter of hh spectra i do like the aps spyderline.

FanaticFringer
06-20-2007, 17:17
Just under 1/8"

angrysparrow
06-20-2007, 18:18
I'm thinking about changing out the stock ENO line again and replacing it with Spyderline or even possibly the AirCore Spectra. I'll just have to wait and see what strikes my fancy. To be honest, I like the idea of the 3.8mm Spyderline, particularly with it's high strength rating.

I did that very thing (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/0/4/eno_cc-buckle.jpg) with my ENO when I switched it to CC Buckles.

Just Jeff
06-20-2007, 20:22
CC Buckles - I called Crazy Creek and had them send me some. Or you can get them from OnRope1: http://www.onrope1.com/store/index.php?p=product&id=118&parent=4

Spectra - the BPL stuff is good, and flexible enough to hold a good larkshead. I found the stiffer Spectra, like HH uses but not quite as small, at a kitesurfing store...I'm sure it's online somewhere.

headchange4u
06-21-2007, 08:09
I found the stiffer Spectra, like HH uses but not quite as small, at a kitesurfing store...I'm sure it's online somewhere.

Has anyone ever found the same Spectra that HH use for sale anywhere?

Hooch
06-21-2007, 08:11
Did you try calling/e-mailing the kind folks @ Hennesy to ask if they might send you some? It may be worth a shot, the worst they can say is no or charge you an arm and a leg. :D

Coffee
06-21-2007, 09:17

Did you try calling/e-mailing the kind folks @ Hennesy to ask if they might send you some? It may be worth a shot, the worst they can say is no or charge you an arm and a leg. :D

Just make sure to tell them it is for your homemade hh clone.;)

Hooch
06-21-2007, 09:19
You're not helping any. :p

headchange4u
06-21-2007, 09:52

I'm sure I'll get the Next Day Air shipping for free or at least he will have my address to send the subpoena for patent infringement. :p :rolleyes:

Hooch
06-21-2007, 09:56
I'm sure I'll get the Next Day Air shipping for free or at least he will have my address to send the subpoena for patent infringement. :p :rolleyes: I meant well, really I did. :p

FanaticFringer
06-21-2007, 18:04
I just got thru putting the ring/buckles on Peanuts hammock. Man it was simple. Took me about 10 minutes. Nice to have met you today Peanuts. Sorry I made you late for that appointment. That's what happens when you start talking about hammocks.:p I also gave your hammock a try out. No slippage at all. That's a comy Eno you got there. Feels like my Speer hammock.
All I did was undo the small knot at the end of the rope that your carabiner was attached to. I then just put a larkshead at the rings. I know most seem to prefer something like an anchor hitch at the rings and I used a bowline myself, but this seems to work well and I did'nt have to undo the main knot at the hammock body. Just Jeff seems to like the larkshead.
Here are some pics. Notice the crash pads under the hammock.:eek:
The second pic is the back of the larkshead. The third is the front.

Cannibal
06-21-2007, 18:15
I tried to undo that knot once; gave up after about 10 minutes of zero progress. I think gremlins snuck in and poured superglue on it.:eek:

slowhike
06-21-2007, 21:43
I tried to undo that knot once; gave up after about 10 minutes of zero progress. I think gremlins snuck in and poured superglue on it.:eek:

they'll do that... but only once if you put them in the microwave:eek:

Cannibal
06-22-2007, 07:28
they'll do that... but only once if you put them in the microwave:eek:

So that wasn't a nightmare I was having after all. :D

Hooch
06-22-2007, 07:32
I just got thru putting the ring/buckles on Peanuts hammock.Good job, FF. I was going to go with the larkshead, but wound up jus adding the rings and tying the cordage back in place. But hey, if it works for Peanuts, that's all that matters. :D

peanuts
06-22-2007, 07:57
well, i will sure find out if that will work! so i guess i'll be going to the park to try it out! thanks ff:)

Jade
06-27-2007, 09:32
I'm still using the tree huggers, temporarily at least. I plan on switching to the CC buckles or rings sometime in the very near future to eliminate all that knot tying.

HandsomeRyan
06-27-2007, 14:38
I voted "ring buckles" but i may not have understood what was meant by this-

I made some homemade "tree huggers" out of 7' pieces of 1" nylon strapping with rings installed at one end. i wrap the tree as many times as i can (leaving a little slack) then fasten the open end with the rings. then i tie the rope from my HH under the slack that i left in the strap using the HH knot (or a similar knot)

my hammock is not hung directly by ring buckle, it is hung off a strap secured with ring buckles.

Hooch
07-01-2007, 07:36
Wow, I wound up being quite surprised by the results of this poll. To be quite honest, I would have thought that ring buckles would have been the winner, clear and easy. Man, was I wrong. :D

FanaticFringer
07-01-2007, 12:18
Wow, I wound up being quite surprised by the results of this poll. To be quite honest, I would have thought that ring buckles would have been the winner, clear and easy. Man, was I wrong. :D

Bet if most of those that use tree huggers went to one of the group get togethers and saw the ring/buckles in action, they would change their minds.

stoikurt
07-01-2007, 13:12
I'll bet that many people are afraid or just very hesitant about doing any kind of mod on commercially made equipment that they have spent a lot of money on.

blackbishop351
07-01-2007, 13:25
I'll bet that many people are afraid or just very hesitant about doing any kind of mod on commercially made equipment that they have spent a lot of money on.

True, but the buckle systems are by no means a permanent mod...maybe someone should emphasize that on a thread! Oh wait...guess I just did! :p

mr. dribbles
07-01-2007, 18:25
Although the poll is closed, add me to the ring buckle group. I became a believer today with SMC descender rings, Doval wire gate 'biners, and 1.25 inch Harbor Freight straps. I used the ascender knot.

Thanks to all you veteran hammock hangers. There are few groups left that so quickly and freely share their ideas and innovations.

FanaticFringer
07-01-2007, 18:29
Although the poll is closed, add me to the ring buckle group. I became a believer today with SMC descender rings, Doval wire gate 'biners, and 1.25 inch Harbor Freight straps. I used the ascender knot.

Thanks to all you veteran hammock hangers. There are few groups left that so quickly and freely share their ideas and innovations.

Ah did'nt realize the poll was closed. Ring/buckles may be in the lead afterall.:)

Just Jeff
07-01-2007, 21:58
The poll has been reopened, and is scheduled to close in 2032 now. Get your votes in quick or you're out of luck.

headchange4u
07-02-2007, 08:32
The poll has been reopened, and is scheduled to close in 2032 now. Get your votes in quick or you're out of luck.

According to the Mayan calender we aren't gonna make it past 2012.

Hooch
07-02-2007, 08:34
Ok, in 2032, I'll be 64. How many posts and members do you think we'll have by then?

Cannibal
07-02-2007, 10:45
Heck, by 2032 I'm counting on anti-gravity devices to suspend my hammock!:D

CoyoteWhips
07-02-2007, 10:56
According to the Mayan calender we aren't gonna make it past 2012.

We should be ok if the BBS isn't run on a Mayan server.

Heck, by 2032 I'm counting on anti-gravity devices to suspend my hammock!:D

Isn't rope an anti-gravity device?

TDunc
07-02-2007, 10:59
Isn't rope an anti-gravity device?[/QUOTE]

Depends! ----- Who tied the knot? ;)

Cannibal
07-02-2007, 11:00
Isn't rope an anti-gravity device?

LOL! I guess I didn't look at it like that.

sk8rs_dad
07-04-2007, 10:23
Um... if we've got antigravity devices then who needs a hammock. Just float in midair in your sleeping bag.

Miguel
07-04-2007, 10:51
I'm changing my vote from rings to CC Buckles. I don't have a ridge line so loosening them is not an issue. They are way more secure than the rings. You can shake it, pull on it, step on it etc and it's not slipping. You also don't have to tie an additional security knot after it......I mean doesn't that defeat the entire purpose of not using knots. I'm also using biners on the strap that goes around the tree so the entire system stays in tact. It's a really fast set up.

Miguel

blackbishop351
07-04-2007, 12:17
I'm changing my vote from rings to CC Buckles. I don't have a ridge line so loosening them is not an issue. They are way more secure than the rings. You can shake it, pull on it, step on it etc and it's not slipping. You also don't have to tie an additional security knot after it......I mean doesn't that defeat the entire purpose of not using knots. I'm also using biners on the strap that goes around the tree so the entire system stays in tact. It's a really fast set up.

Miguel

What did you use to attach your buckles to your suspension cord? Jeff's webbing loops? My prusik method? Just curious.

mr. dribbles
07-04-2007, 13:47
Today I tried switching from the helical acscending knot with a bowline to the same 4-wrap around the rings but with the hennessey hitch. The bowline was fairly easy to untie but left shiney areas on the spectra cord. Maybe it makes no difference as there is also a knot to the hammock fabric. Also, I assume the Harbor Freight strap specs are embellished (after all, they're from China)- the 1.25 inch straps have a working load of 700 lbs. In an effort to understand the risk of falling on my butt, I found these sites: Tech Weenie (http://www.fishproducts.com/tech/techweenie.html) and Knot Strength Ratings (http://www.layhands.com/knots/Index.htm).

Has anyone had a catastrophic HH spectra or webbing failure or is the safety margin not worth the concern?

Coffee
07-04-2007, 13:53
Today I tried switching from the helical acscending knot with a bowline to the same 4-wrap around the rings but with the hennessey hitch. The bowline was fairly easy to untie but left shiney areas on the spectra cord. Maybe it makes no difference as there is also a knot to the hammock fabric. Also, I assume the Harbor Freight strap specs are embellished (after all, they're from China)- the 1.25 inch straps have a working load of 700 lbs. In an effort to understand the risk of falling on my butt, I found these sites: Tech Weenie (http://www.fishproducts.com/tech/techweenie.html) and Knot Strength Ratings (http://www.layhands.com/knots/Index.htm).

Has anyone had a catastrophic HH spectra or webbing failure or is the safety margin not worth the concern?

I use the ascending knot with the bow line on the rings for the ridgeline and the hammock support lines on my setup. I like it. It holds the rings a little looser than the anchor hitch I was using.

Just Jeff
07-04-2007, 23:17
BB - I don't use the webbing anymore. I use a double-wrapped larkshead on the rings, and if it works I'll use the same thing on the CC buckles when I try them again.

blackbishop351
07-05-2007, 01:34
BB - I don't use the webbing anymore. I use a double-wrapped larkshead on the rings, and if it works I'll use the same thing on the CC buckles when I try them again.

Oh OK cool...by "double-wrapped larkshead" do you mean pretty much my prusik attachment? As far as I can tell, the prusik is just that - a multi-wrap larkshead. The reason I use more than one or two wraps is stability - I found that wrapping less than the entire width of the buckle still allowed some slipping into "cockeyed mode."

Just Jeff
07-05-2007, 07:16
Yeah - it's close to a prussik, minus the last wrap that goes around only the cord rather than the rings. I'm using it on the rings right now for the same reason, and it lets me get rid of the webbing. If I go back to trying the buckles, I'll do the same thing.

tanpuma
08-26-2007, 23:28
how many times do I have to tell you all:
fairy dust is the only way to hang, without getting the little people mad!
You should also ask the trees for permission to hang.
they are the highest beings.

T-BACK
08-27-2007, 07:41

Miguel

I'm with you on this one. After much use I've decided to use the CC buckles pretty much for the reasons you have listed. Mine connect to the hammock with a piece of the same webbing from CC. The only modification I've made to my straps was to use a biner on the tree end and to sew on a water diverter on the hammock side of the buckle. Short of water blowing up under the tarp (which is no longer an issue with the end walls) I've never had any water make it to the hammock body with this system.

Nails
08-27-2007, 08:29
Does this poll not allow you to select more than one option? The other poll did (or does if it's still open).

stoikurt
08-27-2007, 09:56
The only modification I've made to my straps was to use a biner on the tree end and to sew on a water diverter on the hammock side of the buckle. Short of water blowing up under the tarp (which is no longer an issue with the end walls) I've never had any water make it to the hammock body with this system.

How about a picture or description of your water diverter?

Nightwalker
08-30-2007, 18:53
I wish that we could change answers. :)

Mine has went from "other" to HH Tree Huggers to ring-buckle supports in the last month. I use carabiners at the ends like, I'm guessing, most folks with that method of hanging a hammock.

NCPatrick
08-30-2007, 19:02
And I would have to change my answer to say that I'm converting from the Rings to the cinch buckles, just for simplicity's sake.

FanaticFringer
08-30-2007, 22:57
I believe Nightwalker meant to say cinch buckles. I just sent him a pair.:cool:
It can get confusing...ring buckles,cinch buckles, CC buckles, belt buckles...........

Nightwalker
08-31-2007, 06:31
I believe Nightwalker meant to say cinch buckles. I just sent him a pair.:cool:
It can get confusing...ring buckles,cinch buckles, CC buckles, belt buckles...........

I haven't gotten those installed yet. I'm still attached with the 2 SMC rings at each end, but tonight or tomorrow night I should be able to give the buckles a try.

Thanks again!

FanaticFringer
08-31-2007, 15:18
I haven't gotten those installed yet. I'm still attached with the 2 SMC rings at each end, but tonight or tomorrow night I should be able to give the buckles a try.

Thanks again!

I'm sure you'll love them. I had a slippage issue with my cinch buckles yesterday. User error. I've been playing around with the best way to attach my buckles to my new Treklight hammock. I somehow put the buckles on backwards. As I laid in my hammock, I "slowly" started to fall. Like being lowered in a casket I guess.:D

Cannibal
08-31-2007, 15:31
I "slowly" started to fall. Like being lowered in a casket I guess.:D

Well now, there's a happy thought! :p

Gazer
08-31-2007, 22:45
The system that works the best for my HHEA is:
SMC descending ring attached to the suspension rope with a clove hitch. This allows adjustibility and yet holds tightly. Thread tag thru a Nano carabiner that's gathered the ends of the tree hugger. Bring rope back thru the ring, make one wrap around line leading back to the "biner, pull tight, pinch wrap and drop bight loop between pinch and tree. Snug loop towards pinch and run tag end thru bight loop and tighten. This is all that I need to prevent any slippage with the thick HH suspension line. YMMV with thinner line. Take remaining tag towards the hammock and tie a half hitch for a drip string. After adjusting the ring to the necessary location, I can complete the process in fifteen seconds or so. What I've done is duplicated the principle of a trucker's hitch that is just as strong, easily adjustable, and yet is quick to untie.

FanaticFringer
08-31-2007, 22:51
The system that works the best for my HHEA is:
SMC descending ring attached to the suspension rope with a clove hitch. This allows adjustibility and yet holds tightly. Thread tag thru a Nano carabiner that's gathered the ends of the tree hugger. Bring rope back thru the ring, make one wrap around line leading back to the "biner, pull tight, pinch wrap and drop bight loop between pinch and tree. Snug loop towards pinch and run tag end thru bight loop and tighten. This is all that I need to prevent any slippage with the thick HH suspension line. YMMV with thinner line. Take remaining tag towards the hammock and tie a half hitch for a drip string. After adjusting the ring to the necessary location, I can complete the process in fifteen seconds or so. What I've done is duplicated the principle of a trucker's hitch that is just as strong, easily adjustable, and yet is quick to untie.

Welcome to the forum Gazer.

slowhike
09-01-2007, 09:24
welcome to HF gazer. i don't suppose you have a picture of that set you could post?
sounds interesting. ...tim

daibutsu
11-19-2007, 21:33
my HH "tree huggers" failed within 8 uses.

Sasquatch
11-19-2007, 22:47
Well I guess I am an oddity. I am using my rig the way that it came shipped to me and so far so good. This pic is from my recent trip through Harriman State Park. Lots of people just refer to it as Bear Mountain Park. Was doing a bit of cool weather camping. Maybe got into the high20's at its coldest.

lyleb
11-20-2007, 00:25
Guess I have seen no reason to consider other methods with my Speer. The four-wrap is just so simple.

bmike
11-20-2007, 07:40
huggers, biners, smc rings, stock hh rope.

http://lh5.google.com/mike.beganyi/RzCzcCfwIBI/AAAAAAAADZs/8bbZRi7NURU/s800/IMG_4264.JPG

Iafte
11-20-2007, 09:12
Rings x3. I could only vote once though. I need to make my sons their own accounts here. :D

Iafte
11-20-2007, 09:14
Well I guess I am an oddity. I am using my rig the way that it came shipped to me and so far so good. This pic is from my recent trip through Harriman State Park. Lots of people just refer to it as Bear Mountain Park. Was doing a bit of cool weather camping. Maybe got into the high20's at its coldest.

I was on top of Bear mountain the other day, took about an hour out of my drive home and setup my hammock and read my book.

Rapt
11-20-2007, 11:11
SHort length of webbing on tree, with rope through rings or hooks....

Patrick
11-20-2007, 11:44
Haven't had it real-world yet, but my latest is webbing for the trees with a homemade buckle cleat that my hammock rope (Spyderline 2.8mm) ties off to. I copied the design from andersj and love it.

I also have an SMC ring on the other end of the webbing instead of a sewn loop.

http://www.kickassquilts.com/images/buckle/2.jpg

http://www.kickassquilts.com/images/buckle/5.jpg

neo
11-20-2007, 13:57
i am glad i switched to the ring buckle support,i should have done it sooner:cool: neo

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=1710&catid=member&imageuser=11

Javaman
11-20-2007, 14:11
Same setup as bmike . . . huggers, biners, smc rings, stock hh rope.

Hooch
11-20-2007, 15:29
I'm still very happy with the ring buckle supports that I've used for a while now, but I'm considering switching over to the cc buckles. I saw a couple sets in use over the weekend at the RRG Hang and they look quite a bit more secure. I very well may have to give them a go. I've got a set here (Thanks again Grizzly Adams!) and just might have to give them a go some time soon. :D

FanaticFringer
11-20-2007, 17:35
I'm still very happy with the ring buckle supports that I've used for a while now, but I'm considering switching over to the cc buckles. I saw a couple sets in use over the weekend at the RRG Hang and they look quite a bit more secure. I very well may have to give them a go. I've got a set here (Thanks again Grizzly Adams!) and just might have to give them a go some time soon. :D

Give em a go dude.....you wont regret it.:cool:

JohnW
11-30-2007, 00:30
I'm in the throes of suspension decision making myself! I need to buy some longer webbing and then play around. There's a ton of ideas floating around, but the rings seem like favorites so far.

FanaticFringer
11-30-2007, 00:52
I'm in the throes of suspension decision making myself! I need to buy some longer webbing and then play around. There's a ton of ideas floating around, but the rings seem like favorites so far.

Welcome JohnW.
Do yourself a favor and get both the rings and cinch buckles. Decide which you like better after using both. I have used both in the field and I like the cinch buckles better. The reason the ring buckles are more popular is because they were recommended for use initially in the famous ring buckles thread that reads like a long book.:D www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=565&highlight=ring+buckles If I remember correctly, Just Jeff said he was switching from the Crazy Creek buckles (no longer available but the same as cinch buckles)
to the ring buckles because he thought the CC were harder to release under stress than the rings. He later changed his mind on that. He also no longer uses the two separate small pieces of webbing connected to the CC buckles (cinch buckles). The cinch buckles are better IMO cause you are not relying on a knot to be tied. They will slip if you dont tie a knot after the rings. Not so with the cinch buckles. The rings also have the potential of separating much easier than the cinch buckles. Trust me when I
say that the cinch buckles just feel much safer. They are plenty easy to adjust under pressure. Their too cheap not to try em both out and then decide.

nickelanddime
11-30-2007, 08:06
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/3/7/8/v2front.JPGhttp://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/3/7/8/hardwarev2.JPG
Just finished these the other day, .2 oz a piece for the bars... the lines and the webbing are the weakest part here

steene
12-10-2007, 00:19
Still in the dark ages with rope and the speer wrap.

warbonnetguy
12-10-2007, 00:39
hey nickleandime, that looks like this: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=385&d=1188063787

which turned into this: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1706&page=31&highlight=new+product+figure+9

on the fig 9 thread, there's all sorts of line adjusters and cleat devices people came up with.

Nightwalker
12-10-2007, 00:47
I'm sure you'll love them. I had a slippage issue with my cinch buckles yesterday. User error. I've been playing around with the best way to attach my buckles to my new Treklight hammock. I somehow put the buckles on backwards. As I laid in my hammock, I "slowly" started to fall. Like being lowered in a casket I guess.:D

I finally switched to 3 trek-light carabiners per end. The two that act like ring buckles pull the rope real closely together, unlike the rings, and the go right through the end of the tree-hugger loop. I pull it through with an up-from-the-back and split-the-middles coming down method. Kind of like tightening a moto helmet. I the do 2-3 wraps around the rope pointing towards the hammock, pull it tight up against the carabiners, and do one double-slip through the middle of the carabiner. Stupid easy, never slips and takes around 2-4 seconds to do.

I'm guessing a picture or few would help?

FF: I'm sorry that I never got back with you on buying the second set of cinch buckles. I just kept putting it off to the point that I look like a real-deal lamer right now. I'm sure that you got rid of them easy, but that still doesn't make it right. I do seriously apologize. :o

FanaticFringer
12-10-2007, 08:34
I finally switched to 3 trek-light carabiners per end. The two that act like ring buckles pull the rope real closely together, unlike the rings, and the go right through the end of the tree-hugger loop. I pull it through with an up-from-the-back and split-the-middles coming down method. Kind of like tightening a moto helmet. I the do 2-3 wraps around the rope pointing towards the hammock, pull it tight up against the carabiners, and do one double-slip through the middle of the carabiner. Stupid easy, never slips and takes around 2-4 seconds to do.

I'm guessing a picture or few would help?

FF: I'm sorry that I never got back with you on buying the second set of cinch buckles. I just kept putting it off to the point that I look like a real-deal lamer right now. I'm sure that you got rid of them easy, but that still doesn't make it right. I do seriously apologize. :o

No problem. I used them on my bridge hammock.

deadeye
12-29-2007, 12:41
I'm a relative newbie (only a couple of years) in my hammock, so I'm still using the tree hugger system that came with my Hennessy.

I'll experiment more this year - the ring buckle system looks like it's easy to set up and adjust, but the Speer 4-wrap looks like the ultimate in simplicity, at least once I figure it out.

Just got a Speer winter tarp for xmas, so it's time to play in the backyard.

te-wa
03-13-2008, 23:26
I just tweaked my Claytor to a buckle system, not sure yet if Im going to stick with it but so far it seems reliable. Using a JrB Tri-Glide attached permanently to the end of a stock tree hugger (cut, then re-sewn with the tri glide), then I removed the ol' green rope from the Claytor and used polyprop webbing in its place. now I can wrap the tree hugger, slip the hammock end-webbing thru the tri-glide and that's it. also I added a structural ridgeline to the whole deal, so I dont have to fidgit with the webbing too much. best thing is, the tree huggers that collect sap dont touch the hammock because they go in a seperate stuff sack. :)

CanadaEast
04-19-2008, 11:39
Just using the standard straps that came with the HH.

BurningCedar
04-20-2008, 18:01
I'm now using the Carabiner Hitch technique described by TeeDee in this post (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3555).

It's working great! Much less weight and volume, easy to adjust, holds rock-steady.