PDA

View Full Version : does this look good for tarp material?

ShadowAlpha
12-26-2009, 17:45
Found this on ebay.. wondering if it would work for a tarp?

thoughts?
thank you!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=370275167124&Category=28162&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2

pgibson
12-26-2009, 17:54
Weight wise just keep in mind the 1.6 oz per yard is before any Wp coatings go and so it may be well more than that finished weight. Also look at the shipping-- they charge 6.99 for the first yard + 1.00 for each additional yard-- so 10 yards would run 16.00 for shipping-- that adds up and that is the only big reason that I have not purchased fabric from these guys yet. But they do have some stuff that I have not been able to find else were. If you get it let us know how it works out. :)

ShadowAlpha
12-26-2009, 18:14
Hmm.. I did not pay attention to the shipping yet.

any suggestions where to find ACU silnylon ripstop for tarps
as well as ACU uncoated 1.1 or 1.7 ripstop for a hammock?

thanks!

hangnout
12-26-2009, 19:27
http://www.rockywoods.com/Fabrics-Hardware-Patterns-Kits/ACU-Camo-Fabrics

Try the link above to Rockywoods.

I have some of the material from the link you listed. It will make a good tarp but will not be light.

Garden hammock
12-27-2009, 01:55
I was recommended this store by a friend who did purchase some nylon fabric from them. He used it for a tarp for his camping hammock (http://garden-hammock.net/category/camping-hammock) too. He swears by it, but I didn't go for it purely for cost reasons. You can get similar stuff to that much cheaper I think.

PuckerFactor
12-30-2009, 04:42
I made my first hammock out out that very same fabric. (knowing what I know now, I'm flabbergasted I didn't freeze and wake up in a puddle of sweat) It has since been remanufactured into a poncho. It's easily in the 2-3oz. range. It's very heavy.

Acer

TOB9595
12-30-2009, 04:58
I see that the ebay seller has a make an offer and has high positive feedback.
With sellers like this; if I were buying any amount of yardage I would email them...thru ebay if needed and make them an offer on a price for the goods and a fair price for shipping.

You may be pleased at their response.
Worth a try
Tom
Tom

sclittlefield
12-30-2009, 10:10
I've dealt with that seller before and they are pretty good to work with. They don't seem to have much knowledge about any technical details about the fabric, but if you don't mind the guess factor, go for it.

hangnout
12-30-2009, 10:33
I see that the ebay seller has a make an offer and has high positive feedback.
With sellers like this; if I were buying any amount of yardage I would email them...thru ebay if needed and make them an offer on a price for the goods and a fair price for shipping.

You may be pleased at their response.
Worth a try
Tom
Tom

Good advice, this seller will usually reduce the price around .50 - .75 a yard if you make an offer.

The material is 3 0z per square yard.

ShadowAlpha
12-30-2009, 11:06
thank you for the feedback

I was think on asking the seller if he can ship in a flat rate box.
to cut down on shipping cost

so looks like this material might be better for a backpack cover or tarp?

I might have to try some just out of curiosity