PDA

View Full Version : Viva La Hammock!

HamMike
12-29-2009, 11:19
Just wanted to say hello to everyone. I just bought my first hammock this year, unfortunately late in the warm season. Not sure if I'm gonna be getting into winter hammocking but lookin forward to spring. I started getting interested in bushcrafting this year and didn't want to do the whole tent thing. Once I saw a hammock setup on a website I knew that was the way for me. If anyone is close to Kettering Ohio hit me up.

NCPatrick
12-29-2009, 11:22
Welcome to HF, HamMike!

gargoyle
12-29-2009, 11:26
Welcome aboard.

Cannibal
12-29-2009, 11:28
Welcome to the forums!
Can't blame you for being hesitant about winter hanging; takes a certain breed to jump right into that stuff. By next year, you'll be chomping at the bit for a good hard freeze. So there's hurry. :D

Shug
12-29-2009, 13:05
Hey and a big, happy welcome. Start slow and be patient and the adventure truly shows itself...
Have a terrific time.
Shug

Knotty
12-29-2009, 13:12
Welcome HamMike. What kind of hammock did you get?

HamMike
12-29-2009, 17:34
I picked up a Hammock Bliss with attatched mosquito net. Will prob get somethin a little more compact on down the road but I'm hooked on the hammocks.

HamMike
12-29-2009, 17:36
Hey and a big, happy welcome. Start slow and be patient and the adventure truly shows itself...
Have a terrific time.
Shug
Thanx, I think some of the videos that got me interested in hammocks were from a guy that did some tarp talk videos. Is that you?

Peter_pan
12-29-2009, 22:16
Welcome to the forum and the hanging gang....HamMik...sooooo, what's in a name....;)

Pan

bigred72
12-30-2009, 10:01
Tarp talk...hmm...must be Shug. That is what led me to HF and this obsessive support group. Welcome!!!

Shug
12-30-2009, 10:18
Thanx, I think some of the videos that got me interested in hammocks were from a guy that did some tarp talk videos. Is that you?
That is cool ...... if this is the video, then I am to blame!
Shug
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pkp4GILyU9U

HamMike
12-30-2009, 13:34
I noticed that Clintonville Outfitters in Columbus is a JRB dealer, only 45 min drive from me. Hmmm i'll have go check out that underquilt.

HamMike
12-30-2009, 18:55
That is cool ...... if this is the video, then I am to blame!
Shug
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pkp4GILyU9U
Argg, it be you then , thems the vids!

clearskyblue
12-30-2009, 19:14
Hi HamMike
Welcome to the always interesting never unpleasant rather excellent Hammock Forums.
You are correct Shug is our friendly video entertainer.When its too cold to go out nearly all the flippin time at presentI watch his vids and its just like being out there.:DOk Ok Im an armchair winter hangin type.:laugh:

clearskyblue
12-30-2009, 19:19
ps
Have a search here on the many types and variations of hammock upper and under insulation very important as Im sure you know even in Spring.;)

TOB9595
12-31-2009, 11:46
Welcome
Love your screen name
Tom

lapsjd
01-01-2010, 22:34
Welcome fellow Ohioan!

lapsjd
01-01-2010, 23:02
Welcome to the forum!

SmokeBait
01-01-2010, 23:26
Welcome HamMike! Shug videos can be habit forming and make you lust for more gear. It's all good stuff!

stumo

HamMike
01-02-2010, 22:16
Thanx! I was stoked when it popped into my head.

HamMike
01-02-2010, 22:19
Welcome fellow Ohioan!
Thanx ! when's the Ohio hang? Wayne National might be a good spot! Old man's cave and all that.

MacEntyre
01-03-2010, 09:24
Welcome!

Stormcrow is in Ohio, I believe...

- MacEntyre

stormcrow
01-03-2010, 23:10
It is great to see another Buckeye in our midst. I am in the Lancaster, Ohio area but have some family in eastern Indiana so I travel close to Kettering on occasion.

We had a small group hang this past summer down in the Shawnee State forest with about 10 or 12 members that attended. Man, that was a tough hike! I would love to find some more Ohio places to check out. Most of my trips have taken me out to the Appalachian Trail so I am a little spoiled by the great vistas you can get out there.

Anyway, welcome to the forum. I think they are trying to get a group hang together over in Indiana. I am going to try to make it if I can get some free time. You should think about that one because it looks like there are going to be some great guys going. All of which know their way around hammocks (understatement).

~sc

Barefoot Child
01-04-2010, 00:31
Howdy HamMike,
sit down...strap in...hold on...and enjoy the ride!
It just might be better than watching "The Wonder of Flight" in 3D at the Wright-Patterson Air Museum I-Max theatre!
I used to live in Xenia OH and worked in Fairborne at Wright-Patterson AFB. I would go thru and into Kettering all of the time, nice neck of the woods. :D Isn't that where Mad River canoes are made (at least it was in that same general area)? As I remember Kettering had a nice library for doing research work in. Of course that could have been Beaver Creek but definitely not Yellow Springs...two completely different places in the same same wooded area...if'n ya know I mean.

Oh well, didn't mean to ramble,
Justa' remembering-Barefoot Child

HamMike
01-04-2010, 01:15
It is great to see another Buckeye in our midst. I am in the Lancaster, Ohio area but have some family in eastern Indiana so I travel close to Kettering on occasion.

We had a small group hang this past summer down in the Shawnee State forest with about 10 or 12 members that attended. Man, that was a tough hike! I would love to find some more Ohio places to check out. Most of my trips have taken me out to the Appalachian Trail so I am a little spoiled by the great vistas you can get out there.

Anyway, welcome to the forum. I think they are trying to get a group hang together over in Indiana. I am going to try to make it if I can get some free time. You should think about that one because it looks like there are going to be some great guys going. All of which know their way around hammocks (understatement).

~sc
I've been following the Indiana hang thread. I'm hoping to make that my HF maiden voyage. Unless something comes up sooner that's not in frigid weather. No underquilt here yet. Fell free to give me a shout if you ever come through the area.

HamMike
01-04-2010, 01:18
Howdy HamMike,
sit down...strap in...hold on...and enjoy the ride!
It just might be better than watching "The Wonder of Flight" in 3D at the Wright-Patterson Air Museum I-Max theatre!
I used to live in Xenia OH and worked in Fairborne at Wright-Patterson AFB. I would go thru and into Kettering all of the time, nice neck of the woods. :D Isn't that where Mad River canoes are made (at least it was in that same general area)? As I remember Kettering had a nice library for doing research work in. Of course that could have been Beaver Creek but definitely not Yellow Springs...two completely different places in the same same wooded area...if'n ya know I mean.

Oh well, didn't mean to ramble,
Justa' remembering-Barefoot Child
Well it's a small world! I also used to live in Xenia, on Carolina Dr. I also work at Wright Patt, the med center. I was stationed there from 89 to 96 and came back as a GS.

Barefoot Child
01-04-2010, 13:41
I lived on Colorado St, and worked at the weather station in the same building as Base Ops. Was stationed there 88-90. So...you are a fellow USAF person, are you not? My 3rd and last child was born at the hospital on base.

Aim High!
Rex:D