PDA

View Full Version : Zeppelin Rental

stryder
12-12-2016, 14:59
Wandering down the same path as many of you. Trying to figure out what winter under-quilt would be best. Two of us so it adds up quickly. But UGQ rents! How great is that. Can test to see if we can get off the ground in winter too!

They list 20 degree Zeppelin rentals. I sent an email asking about zero degree ones but in the mean time I have a quick question. We use 3 Season Jarbidge under-quilts for the shoulder seasons. If I wanted to layer the 20 degree Jarbidge with the 20 rented Zeppelin which should be closer to hammock?

jh

Shug
12-12-2016, 15:18
Personally....I would have the warmest down right against me and the hammock.
Carry forth.
Shug

MattK
12-12-2016, 15:42
I'm with Shug. I always put the down closest to me. In very cold conditions in particular, this is a good practice, because the warm air your body puts out cools as it gets further from you, and can sometimes reach dew point within your insulation, and therefore condense in your insulation. If the synthetic is on the outside, this will more likely happen in the synthetic insulation, which can handle that moisture better than down.

However, down is much more sensitive to compression, so you have to take care that the outer UQ doesn't squash your down.

goobie
12-12-2016, 17:18
I've tried both ways, with a 20+2 full length UQ and a jarbidge, and had much better results with the synthetic over the down (made it to -7*). The trick is hanging the 2nd quilt only as loose as necessary, while boosting the temp of your main UQ.

stryder
12-21-2016, 15:29
Thanks fellas, good info