PDA

View Full Version : 501 Hang weekend of Jan 13

OldNWay
12-20-2016, 12:58
Saint Frances and me are meeting up on the AT at the shelter area of 501. Feel free to join us

Chesapeake
12-20-2016, 13:44
I'm in. Well, I want to be in but Ive gotta ask my wife first just to make sure we don't have plans. I'll know for sure later on today. Sounds like fun though, I've never been anywhere on the AT except for the fall MAHHA. I'll more than likely be able to make it. Weekend of the 13th, is that Fri- Sun or Sat - Sun ?

Black Foot
12-20-2016, 19:47
Just a heads up that there is a new caretaker at the 501 Shelter who is unfortunately very unfriendly. He gave a few of us (group of 5) a hard time a month or so ago for having gear that in his mind disqualified us as backpackers. We tried to be nice and kill him with kindness but he insisted on being a horse's *** and threatened us with calling the police and then reporting us to the ATC (neither of which he did) - I guess in an attempt to run us off. When he finally realized he wasn't going to intimidate us into leaving he told us "never come back here" and stormed off.

We stayed, made our meal, enjoyed the campfire and later the hammocks, and left things the next morning in pristine condition as we always do, but his bad vibes made it less enjoyable than usual.

stowe18
12-20-2016, 20:01
I'm definitely interested.. I'd be coming from the Annapolis area. Where are you planning on parking? Not too familiar with that area. Is this the 13-15th?

Phantom Grappler
12-20-2016, 20:05
Just a heads up that there is a new caretaker at the 501 Shelter who is unfortunately very unfriendly. He gave a few of us (group of 5) a hard time a month or so ago for having gear that in his mind disqualified us as backpackers. We tried to be nice and kill him with kindness but he insisted on being a horse's *** and threatened us with calling the police and then reporting us to the ATC (neither of which he did) - I guess in an attempt to run us off. When he finally realized he wasn't going to intimidate us into leaving he told us "never come back here" and stormed off.

We stayed, made our meal, enjoyed the campfire and later the hammocks, and left things the next morning in pristine condition as we always do, but his bad vibes made it less enjoyable than usual.

Most employees have a boss--if all five of y'all sent letters, emails, and phone calls to his boss maybe he could enjoy a new job as a bouncer in a seedy club. Even if he is technically following all the rules he is hired to enforce--he is violating the number one rule--treat others with kindness and good cheer when possible!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ratdog
12-22-2016, 13:12

Wow!

I knew there was a new caretaker but that stinks.

Wonder if he was given marching orders or if folks had been trashing the site. Ugh.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Uncedbip
12-22-2016, 13:58
I'm definitely interested.. I'd be coming from the Annapolis area. Where are you planning on parking? Not too familiar with that area. Is this the 13-15th?

I have basically the same question. My winter top quilt will be here by then so im interested.

jcvd01
12-23-2016, 18:09
I'm also interested, I haven't been to any of the big group hands but have been meaning to. I've also just bought some new cold weather quilts I want to try out

OldNWay
12-24-2016, 10:11
I'm also interested, I haven't been to any of the big group hands but have been meaning to. I've also just bought some new cold weather quilts I want to try out
This is not a big group hang, just a few guy's getting together. You are welcome to join us also I should mention I will not get there untill Saturday morning

jcvd01
12-24-2016, 14:05
Oh yeah, I meant I haven't gotten to any hangs so I'd like to try and get to this smaller gathering. I probably wouldn't get there til Saturday as well

OldNWay
12-24-2016, 21:30
Oh yeah, I meant I haven't gotten to any hangs so I'd like to try and get to this smaller gathering. I probably wouldn't get there til Saturday as well
Great. Looking forward to meeting you

Chesapeake
12-27-2016, 11:46
OldnWay, Santa got me a WL Old Man Winter w/ a Dutch CRL plus some reflect it & reflective shock cord for Xmas that should be here in a few days so I won't need to borrow your extra tarp now. Thanks anyways though! He also got me a down jacket and some down booties so I hope its nice and cold that weekend! Can't wait! Oh, how far from the parking area will we be roughly? Just so I can get an idea of if I need to just use my 80L pack or if its close enough some totes like I was car camping.

Padre'
12-27-2016, 20:03
Looking forward to being with everyone. Will be my first hang.

Chesapeake
12-27-2016, 21:05
Looking forward to being with everyone. Will be my first hang.

Glad your gonna come Padre, I was just getting ready to PM you about it. Did Santa bring you the goodies that were on your list? Lol. I can't wait to test out my new tarp and down gear..... I hope its nice and cold that weekend!

Hawk i
12-31-2016, 17:07
501 is like my "home access" point to the AT and we NEVER go there, We travel to other areas. I will keep an eye on this post and see for more information as this develops and try and fit this into my work schedule. I was gonna go this weekend to 501 and then to Hertlein Campsite (little pond w/waterfall) but decided on Clark's Ferry.

Padre'
12-31-2016, 21:08
He did. Dangerbird ordered 2 days ago. For this trip borrowing some gear from OldNWay.

Chesapeake
12-31-2016, 21:12
What if anything else do you need Padre? I've got some extra days insulation and stuff if you need it..

Padre'
01-02-2017, 10:31
I appreciate the offer. I think Bill has all the gear I need for this trip. If I am missing anything, I will let you know.

Saint Francis
01-09-2017, 11:47
501 is like my "home access" point to the AT and we NEVER go there, We travel to other areas. I will keep an eye on this post and see for more information as this develops and try and fit this into my work schedule. I was gonna go this weekend to 501 and then to Hertlein Campsite (little pond w/waterfall) but decided on Clark's Ferry.

How do you access the trail? I am driving from the Philadelphia area. Is there a PA Turnpike exit nearby?

Chesapeake
01-09-2017, 12:20
What's the weather and temp looking like for that area this weekend? Its supposed to be rainy and low 30's Saturday/ Saturday night down here in northeastern MD. I hope its not too too bad, I want to do a little hiking Saturday as I don't get a chance to get on the AT much if ever at all. Either way, I've got plenty of insulation and I can try out my Snugpak patrol poncho/ liner combo finally if its raining. And my new N1B muk luks w/ liners should be here by Friday ( fingers crossed), wanted to try them out too. Regardless of the weather or temp, I'm coming and will definetly have a great time. I'll download a few good movies on my Ipad incase it rains all day and I need to kill some time by relaxing in my hammock lol. See everyone Saturday!

OldNWay
01-09-2017, 12:30
Looks like its going to be wet

Chesapeake
01-09-2017, 12:46
Oh well, I'll still have a good time. What time do you want to head out on Saturday morning?

doogie
01-10-2017, 08:08
How do you access the trail? I am driving from the Philadelphia area. Is there a PA Turnpike exit nearby? What part of the trail are you trying to access. I can help with 501, 183, Hertlein Campsite and other areas of PA....just shoot me a PM

OldNWay
01-10-2017, 08:24
Oh well, I'll still have a good time. What time do you want to head out on Saturday morning?

How about sometime before 9 am

Hawk i
01-10-2017, 15:46
How do you access the trail? I am driving from the Philadelphia area. Is there a PA Turnpike exit nearby?

I mean "access" point in that I live about 30 minutes or so from there and it's a normal hiking area. Turnpike I'm not real familiar with but there is not an exit for route 501. I would tell you to get off at route 222 and find a way over

doogie
01-11-2017, 08:21
Getting to AT from Philly area:
Take PA turnpike (76) west to Exit 298 (Morgantown) this will dump you onto 176 North
Take 176 North until the end and merge onto 422 West (alternative would be to take 422 West the whole way, but it's slower)
Take 422 West, to Reading, 222 will join on the highway. Follow 222 to route 183 Exit on Route 183 North (West?).
Follow 183 until you get to Route 78 West
Exit at route 501 and head North to the top of the hill. Parking on the right.

howlinmadman
01-11-2017, 08:53
This has been answered but another way would be to take the northeast extension 476 to exit 56 Allentown and head west on route 78 to exit 13 turn right onto 501 go about 4 miles or so to top of mountain big parking area on right.

Chesapeake
01-11-2017, 09:59
Looks like the weather is a little more favorable now , Sat low 30's w/ an overnight low of 24°, chance of snow 50%. I'll definetly take that over rain!! Setting up in the rain isn't fun at all. Wish it was gonna be colder w/ a higher chance of snow, but this is definetly doable. Should be a good time.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=40.51312&lon=-76.3464#.WHZIWXpOlcs

Chesapeake
01-11-2017, 11:58
I've never been to this part of the AT before, come to think of it the only place on the AT I've been was at the fall MAHHA. So for info on the 501, I got it here: http://tnlandforms.us/at/m.php?wpt=501Shltr

MDCrab
01-12-2017, 15:24
Dang it. Maybe next time. I don't have gear light enough to hike in cold temps yet. Also didn't see this till I already had plans for the weekend. We shall hang together one of these days Chesapeake.

Chesapeake
01-12-2017, 16:48
:sleep::boggle::thumbup:Absolutely, looking forward to it. Don't ever worry about the gear though, we can always pull together whatever you'd need I'm sure. You'll find ( if you haven't noticed already) that everyone here on HF is quite generous and will help out another member however and as best they can, without question. We really are a pretty tight knit community of like minded people that all have the same main goal in mind - long, wide pieces of fabric, attached to trees with 2 peices of really strong string with a funny name, wrapped in expensive bags of feathers to keep warm, under a tarp that sometimes has doors, and all of this so we can get together in a big group to hang our fabric/ string/ feather contraptions under the tarp that sometimes has doors and sleep! And man is it the deepest, most comfortable, most enjoyable sleep you'll ever have! Lol. And then, when you wake up in said fabric, string,feather contraption, you can have " breakfast from the hammock " , a truly delightful and most comfortable way to eat and start the day, all while warmly wrapped in your bag o' feathers and looking out at the beauty of the forest. Sounds like fun doesn't it? Lol

doogie
01-13-2017, 07:46
Dang it. Maybe next time. I don't have gear light enough to hike in cold temps yet. Also didn't see this till I already had plans for the weekend. We shall hang together one of these days Chesapeake.There is no real hiking into the 501 shelter area...maybe 100 yards tops! You can have pizza delivered to the shelter.

Hawk i
01-13-2017, 13:50
Ok, who ever is going and will be there Saturday morning PM me. I am planning on coming to meet and hang out for a bit however for your well being I am congested and coughing and also snoring so I am NOT gonna sleep out and disrupt the evening lol. I got my hands on some firewood as well and would like to drop it off. Looking forward to meeting anyone coming and look forward it.

Chesapeake
01-15-2017, 16:57
Trip report to follow, but I just wanted to say to all they guys that came yesterday that it was great hanging out and meeting you all. Well, I say all of you but there was only 7 of us and 2 of you I already knew lol. Send me a friend request if you dont mind. I'd love to get something together this spring down on my beach or at elk neck state park.

stowe18
01-16-2017, 19:43
Had a great time- hope to see all of you at the spring MAHHA !

Padre'
01-16-2017, 21:11
First time winter camping with a hammock. Many thanks to OldNWay for supplying me with a hammock to use and an underquilt to keep by butt warm on Saturday night.

Looking forward to our next hang together guys.