PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Gorploaf

GorploafChalupa
12-31-2009, 21:30
Got started hammocking about a year ago due to this wonderful place.

I'm too cheap to buy anything so I made my own. I have a design that I use regularly called the Lithium Cocoon.

Today I experimented with a bridge design, and broke one of my trekking poles. I had no idea so much force could be put on the poles.

Thanks for all the help.

Gorploaf Chalupa

Cannibal
12-31-2009, 21:45
Love the name!
Welcome to the Forum.

Perkolady
01-01-2010, 10:08
Cool you diy!! Welcome to HF!

gargoyle
01-01-2010, 10:39
GorploafChalupa, nice to meet ya. You do realize you broke the cardinal rule, NO PICTURES.
:confused:Got to see some pics of your diy hammock.
Welcome.:shades:

Shug
01-01-2010, 13:24
A Whooooo Buddy Welcome to you GorploafChalupa
Shug

Peter_pan
01-01-2010, 14:13
welcome to the forum and the hanging gang...

Yup.... bridge forces on spreader bars will definately put collapsible hiking poles at risk.

Pan

lapsjd
01-01-2010, 23:00
Welcome to the forum!

slowhike
01-02-2010, 09:58
Welcome! If you could provide a few details about breaking your trekking pole, I'm sure some of us here would find it helpful in making decisions about doing something similar. For instance...
Kind of trekking pole
Total width of the bridge hammock fabric at the end were the trekking pole broke,
Approximate length you had the pole holding the sides of the bridge hammock open

Looking forward to hearing more & seeing pictures of your homemade gear!

GorploafChalupa
01-25-2010, 19:33
Welcome! If you could provide a few details about breaking your trekking pole, I'm sure some of us here would find it helpful in making decisions about doing something similar. For instance...
Kind of trekking pole
Total width of the bridge hammock fabric at the end were the trekking pole broke,
Approximate length you had the pole holding the sides of the bridge hammock open

Looking forward to hearing more & seeing pictures of your homemade gear!

Poles are Black Diamond Contour - the round ones, not elliptical.

I used the full width of the fabric. With hems, it was probable still 54 inches wide. The poles were set to hold the fabric all the way open.

I was trying to make a no-sew (except for perimeter hem) bridge, open at the ends, with an integrated ridgeline.

GC

Barefoot Child
01-25-2010, 20:40
Well, well, well....welcome to the forums GorploafChalupa. I won't tell ya to hold on because after reading your profile I can sorta tell that the Olde' guy from Bean Town is into unsafe fair-rides, old rollercoasters, wirlygigs, fast women, fast cars, story telling, and just hangin' out. :cool:
With a name like GorploafChalupa who sleeps in the Litium Cocoon I think you are gonna' fit right in with this group of people.:scared:

Now...if you will please...tell us why the hammock is your Lithium Cocoon...quite sure I am not the only one that is interested in the story behind that one. :D

Looking forward to actually meeting you...and sharing a couple of bottles of a good Madiera...old geezer. :tongueup:

Oh, and by the way...I'm one of the rational ones...no matter what anybody else tells you. :mad:

And another rule that they don't tell new people is...Don't ever have a mouth full of coffee as you are about to read a posting....you've been warned! :rolleyes: