PDA

View Full Version : Myles from Oz

mylesau
01-02-2010, 02:47
Hi all, just sayin' g'day now that I've got myself a WBBB and have given it a test run.

Spent 4 days touring on my bike to Mt Walsh National Park in Queensland Australia. It rained a lot and I'm seeing the big advantage of hanging instead of sleeping on the ground.

WBBB DL 1.1 with a WB Large Tarp. Just using a regular Thermarest Prolite 4 mat and a very light sleeping bag as a top quilt. Very comfortable sleep and being able to hang on the side of a hill where a tent just would not go was great.

Looking forward to some stealth camping with this setup.

HitchHiking
01-02-2010, 02:58
Gday mylesau

when your down sydney way be intouch eh.

HitchHiking

Tedinski
01-02-2010, 02:59
Great looking campsites!

I am envious of your weather right now... Most folks here in the US seem to be set up for winter camping, but I'm not. :D

Welcome to Hammock Forums. Good luck w/ your Stealth Hanging plans.

pgibson
01-02-2010, 03:11
Yah, for sure, thats a couple of nice looking sites to hang. Welcome.

mylesau
01-02-2010, 06:18
Thanks guys.

Will do HitchHiking.

Peter_pan
01-02-2010, 09:13
Welcome to the forum and the hanging gang... Nice pics... Summer for you... guess it seems odd reading of all our preps to stay warm... take notes, you'll need some of the warm info about the time our Spring warms up... ;)

Pan

Perkolady
01-02-2010, 09:20
Welcome to HF! Thanks for the intro and photos!

mylesau
01-02-2010, 09:34
... guess it seems odd reading of all our preps to stay warm... take notes, you'll need some of the warm info about the time our Spring warms up... ;)

Have been lurking for a while and still can't decide what I'll need for our 'cold'. 40 F would be about the coldest it will get. I think I'll just try it with the Thermarest and a warmer SB or quilt and see how it goes. Probably just wear more clothes if it gets too cold?

mbiraman
01-02-2010, 09:38
Welcome Mylesau; looks like you've got a food start on things.

Perkolady
01-02-2010, 09:59
Have been lurking for a while and still can't decide what I'll need for our 'cold'. 40 F would be about the coldest it will get. I think I'll just try it with the Thermarest and a warmer SB or quilt and see how it goes. Probably just wear more clothes if it gets too cold?

myles, when it comes to what you will need for insulation, it's sort of a trial and error thing. You're right to start with the TR and/ SB or quilt- then take it from there. Wind plays a big role in this area too. What would normally keep you warm and toasty in calm winds, can really leave you shivering when wind is added into the picture.

The good news is, 'testing' for these things give you a good excuse to get out and hang more! :D

It's an adventure.... and if I'm really honest, it's a never-ending one! :laugh:

Have fun!

Cannibal
01-02-2010, 10:10
Welcome to the Forum!
Eventually you'll need one of everything so there's no hurry.:laugh:

Wentworth
01-12-2010, 18:43
Another Aussie! welcome.

opie
01-12-2010, 18:54
Welcome to Hammock Forums.....

MacEntyre
01-12-2010, 19:19
Hello! Welcome!

Barefoot Child
01-12-2010, 19:23
Hello, and welcome again! :D

mylesau
01-12-2010, 21:08
Another Aussie! welcome.

Hey Wentworth - yep another Aussie - what state are you in, NSW?

Thanks all for the welcome - great place to be this forum :)

mclmm
01-12-2010, 23:06
G'day Myles, another Aussie here.

Insulation-wise, you'll find you will need some in the cooler months. I have used a bodgied up poncho liner underquilt in the depths of winter down here in SE NSW and been toasty warm with a 5 deg rated sleeping bag.

Most of my hammocking has been in Far North Queensland so no bedding or UQ required at all in most cases.

Guys, with all the new Antipodean brothers and sisters flocking to Hammock Forums, I'm thinking that we'll have to have an official HF East Coast Aussie Hang at some stage. What say you?

mylesau
01-13-2010, 00:03
Insulation-wise, you'll find you will need some in the cooler months. I have used a bodgied up poncho liner underquilt in the depths of winter down here in SE NSW and been toasty warm with a 5 deg rated sleeping bag.
Hey mclmm, have two poncho liner's (aus camo) on order at the moment for playing with - sounds like they might be all I ever need.

I'm thinking that we'll have to have an official HF East Coast Aussie Hang at some stage. What say you?

Sounds good to me, as long as I can ride my bike to it :D

Wentworth
01-18-2010, 17:38
Whoops, forgot to reply, yep in NSW, there are a few of us here now. Still think the NSW hammock-meet is a possibility!

mylesau
04-25-2010, 10:07
Just adding a few hammock pictures from a recent Bicycle tour in the North Burnett Region of Queensland Australia. Had a few nights without the need of a tarp and loved the sky views :)

SlowBro
04-25-2010, 10:57
Hi all, just sayin' g'day now that I've got myself a WBBB and have given it a test run.

Spent 4 days touring on my bike to Mt Walsh National Park in Queensland Australia. It rained a lot and I'm seeing the big advantage of hanging instead of sleeping on the ground.

WBBB DL 1.1 with a WB Large Tarp. Just using a regular Thermarest Prolite 4 mat and a very light sleeping bag as a top quilt. Very comfortable sleep and being able to hang on the side of a hill where a tent just would not go was great.

Looking forward to some stealth camping with this setup.

Welcome and thanks for posting the pictures. I love the 2nd picture on the hillside in your original post and the last one over the picnic table in your most recent post. To any doubters I would say, "Try that in a tent!":D Anyway, great stuff.
- Mark