PDA

View Full Version : 49° Hypothetical

Trooper
01-02-2010, 13:20
Anyone know of a good forested area along 49°N that would support a hammock hung in a north-south orientation (little blue book required)? Preferably, where this parallel dips south a bit in Ontario [sic]?

oldgringo
01-02-2010, 13:43
Whaaaaa???? Latitude that dips???

Trooper
01-02-2010, 13:46
Whaaaaa???? Latitude that dips???

Figuratively speaking...it is the parallel that starts near Blaine, Washington and "dips" through International Falls, Minnesota. It looks like this on the map: _ . _ . _ . _ ;)

Kukri
01-02-2010, 16:44
That's all Greek to me.

vitamaltz
01-02-2010, 16:52
You're looking for a bi-national hang? That'd be pretty cool.

Trooper
01-02-2010, 16:56
You're looking for a bi-national hang? That'd be pretty cool.

Some place in Michigan, Wisconsin, or Minnesota is what I was thinking. It looks like the Superior National Forest/Quetico Provencial Park is going to be the best bet, but I'm open to suggestions. I'm just not sure how the Passport would get stamped. May be a true exercise in stealth camping.

MacEntyre
01-02-2010, 17:39
...not sure how the Passport would get stamped. May be a true exercise in stealth camping.
I'd rather not get mine stamped at all. I'd be interested in going to Superior National Forest, and I'll promise to stay in my own country. :rolleyes:

The red tape needed to get into Canada, and then into Quentico (http://www.cwcs.org/quetico.html), is not appealing.

In order to enter Quetico Park, visitors must have a Remote Area Border Crossing (RABC) permit. Delivered by the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA), it allows the bearer to cross the border into Canada at certain remote areas without reporting to a port of entry, as long as imported goods are declared. Click here for more information on the permit and how to obtain one.

gargoyle
01-02-2010, 17:45
We could wait for one of the Great Lakes to freeze and meet somewhere in the middle.;):laugh: