PDA

View Full Version : Backpacking Light UL 180 Quilt

Highstrung
01-04-2010, 06:04
Anyone use or seen this quilt?

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/cocoon_ul_180_quilt.html

Looks promising. Just need to find one now.

tiptoe
01-04-2010, 13:13
I ordered one because I was looking to save weight, but when I saw it, I returned it right away. I'm average sized (female), and it didn't wrap all the way around me. I'm also a cold sleeper, and I'm much better off with my sleeping bag. Your mileage may vary. Perhaps you should google for reviews.

tlbj6142
01-04-2010, 14:34
I'm average sized (female), and it didn't wrap all the way around me.It is a quilt. Quilts don't wrap all the way around.

tiptoe
01-04-2010, 14:46
Let me rephrase. It didn't cover me completely, and I'm not talking about the part of me that is on the pad. I thought it would be really, really drafty.

BOB1520
01-04-2010, 14:50
Anyone use or seen this quilt?

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/cocoon_ul_180_quilt.html

Looks promising. Just need to find one now.

If you are a DIYer... You can make one for half the cost of this one and still be in the same weight range.

tlbj6142
01-04-2010, 15:14
Let me rephrase. It didn't cover me completely, and I'm not talking about the part of me that is on the pad. I thought it would be really, really drafty.That makes sense. When used on the ground, quilts can be a bit drafty. In a hammock it is much easier to tuck the sides of the quilt around your person and keep them in place. Even with a strap or two it can still be drafty with a quilt on the ground. Unless, of course, you never move in your sleep.

Highstrung
01-07-2010, 04:40
If you are a DIYer... You can make one for half the cost of this one and still be in the same weight range.

See, that's what I was thinking. I think I'd be ok with the basic sewing. It's the baffles that baffle me! I know I could make it sewn through, but I think that'd defeat the purpose. When you make something DIY, you make it customized for your wants and I definately don't WANT cold spots.

tomsawyer222
01-07-2010, 06:00
that quilt is synthetic it should not have baffles.....

with the right synthetic insulation i dont even think it needs quilting loops

BillyBob58
01-07-2010, 08:39
Let me rephrase. It didn't cover me completely, and I'm not talking about the part of me that is on the pad. I thought it would be really, really drafty.

I also found the largest size to be a bit small for me and returned it.