PDA

View Full Version : Swing swing from Michigan

leroybrown
01-07-2010, 10:52
Hello there!

Just wanted to say hello from Mount Pleasant, Michigan. Go Chipps!

Brand new hanger- like in the market for my first hammock brand new.

I have already learned a TON from this forum and I'm excited to get involved. I saw somebody suggested that we do a IN,OH,MI hang. That sounds like a great time.

Clark Hammoks have caught my eye lately. It seems like I've heard if you have the capital for it, its well worth the money. What do you guys think?

Cannibal
01-07-2010, 10:56
Welcome to the Forum!
Not a big Clark fan, but I can't argue with their quality. Good luck in whatever hammock you decide on.

gargoyle
01-07-2010, 11:00
GO CHIPS. THAT WAS AN AWESOME GAME!!!

Welcome to the forum. my oldest son goes to CMU.

Clark is good and its expensive. Money can be spent more wisely, in my opinion.

patrickbdunlap
01-07-2010, 14:45
I think we need to form a hammock hiking club for all the Michigan guys here. They seem to be everywhere. :D

lonetracker
01-07-2010, 21:03
i have had a clark na for over 3 years.probably slept in it 150 times.nothing at all wrong with it .zippers are great,netting is unholed,no seems coming apart.am 100 percent satisfied.get a great nights sleep in it,very comfy.
however there are many diferant types of hammocks on here,and hammock systems.take your time,look around,ask questions.the awsome people on this site will be more than willing to discuss their hammock passion with you.
hangin u.p.
bill

Stone
01-07-2010, 21:14
Welcome to the forum! Good to see more people from Michigan here! I've only hung in my HHEXPED so I can offer no advice other than you MUST and I can not repeat this enough MUST have some form of insulation beneath you, either a pad or an underquilt. So keep that extra expense in mind when shopping.

GO CHIPS. THAT WAS AN AWESOME GAME!!!

Welcome to the forum. my oldest son goes to CMU.

Clark is good and its expensive. Money can be spent more wisely, in my opinion.

I turned it off in the 4th after Troy scored (4 AM comes early), only to hear that they won after I got to work. :cursing:

MacEntyre
01-08-2010, 07:31
...a bad, bad welcome!

;)

leroybrown
01-08-2010, 23:30
Mac - love it when people pick up on it. Old Jim was a little before my time (born in 87) but I sure enjoy his stuff.

Thanks for all the tips. To the michiganders- is there a place in MI where you can go and put your hands on different hammocks? Cabellas maybe?

Cannibal
01-08-2010, 23:36
Old Jim was a little before my time (born in 87) but I sure enjoy his stuff.
A little!?!?!? :confused::D
The man had been dead for 14 years when you were born. I guess good music never dies. :shades:

Hawk-eye
01-08-2010, 23:41
.... is there a place in MI where you can go and put your hands on different hammocks? Cabellas maybe?

You could check Cabellas web page or if you are near Detroit ... there are three REI stores where you should be able to get hands on with HH Expeditions and ENOS ... for some reason two only show up on the map attached ... if you go to the REI webpage you can use the store locator to get addresses and phone numbers

Eron
01-09-2010, 02:11
...is there a place in MI where you can go and put your hands on different hammocks? Cabellas maybe?

Just north of you in Clare are Jay's Sporting Good's and General Jim's Army Surplus. Jay's has some of the ultralight travel hammocks and had a different model in the spring (can't remember which one). Jim's has an Army knock-off hanging in there usually.

btw, we are almost neighbors. I'm in Midland County, just east of you. I was just over there at Menards and WalMart on Tuesday night. WalMart had two lightweight ripstop nylons for sale in the dollar bin (it's actually the $1.50 bin in Mt. Pleasant). One was silnylon the other untreated. Just a heads up, in case you are interested in any DIY.

Barefoot Child
01-09-2010, 03:17
Howdy Neighbor, welcome to the forum! :)

Jest ta let ya know......GO BRONCOS!!!!!! :tongueup: :laugh:

Barefoot Child is a WMU alumnist!

gargoyle
01-09-2010, 03:17
Leroybrown, I wish I would have read this earlier. I just dropped my boy off at CMU. We could've gotten together. I'd be happy to show you the diy hammocks I got.

Barefoot Child
01-09-2010, 03:21
Hey Gargoyle,
you are making a list of all these Michiganders coming out of the Piney woods....are you not?

gargoyle
01-09-2010, 04:24
Just a mental list..I have a mind like a steel trap...uhmmm what...what where we talking about?? ;):lol:

They say with old age the memory is the first thing to go...and I can't remember what the other two things were....?;):scared::confused:

Barefoot Child
01-09-2010, 11:42
Then I think you would enjoy " "Ode to Forgetfulness " by Mack Dwyer. go to the donating members section and check out the Weird video thread. :D
ENJOY :D:D

gargoyle
01-09-2010, 12:48
yep. I saw those and the other mack vids. funny stuff. with a great true life story!!

Hawk-eye
01-09-2010, 13:23
Yeah you can get his book on his web page. Read it a while back. Traveled some his same paths. Fortunately I didn't manage all of his steps!

Inspiring story by a funny talented guy.

questtrek
01-09-2010, 13:43
Welcome Leroybrown,

I am just about a neighbor too. Lots of great info on here. I too am searching for my first hammock. So many to choose from and want to make the right choice. Have you checked out the Warbonnet Blackbird (http://warbonnetoutdoors.net/)? or the Hennessy Hammocks (http://hennessyhammock.com/)? I've been interested in the Ultralight Backpacker A-sym (free Scout with purchase)....:)

opie
01-09-2010, 15:57
Thanks for all the tips. To the michiganders- is there a place in MI where you can go and put your hands on different hammocks? Cabellas maybe?

Welcome to HF!!

Ive never seen a Hennessey product in either of the REI's in the state. They do carry ENO and I know Ive seen ENO products at Gander Mountain.

Ive got a WB traveler you can try out, and Ive currently got a Hennessey that someone else is testing out.

You cant really go wrong with ENO hammocks, either.

leroybrown
01-09-2010, 16:54
Wow, What fun!

With so many of us in 1 hours proximity we really should get together at some point to swap lies and talk about hammocks :D

Thanks for the tip, Eron. I'll have to go check it out

Gargoyle - CMU is a fun place to be, I am a student myself. I work for the ambulance service in Mount Pleasant and we certainly feel it when the students come back. The first call went down on campus for the first time today since school got out.

Guesttrek - I have seen the warbonnets, the site is pretty wild... The videos I mean.

Seems to me priorities are - The tarp (a big one) and protection from bugs. Am I on the right track?

Thanks for the offer, opie. We should pick a date a few months out before the beautiful Michigan summer is upon us.

opie
01-09-2010, 17:18
Seems to me priorities are - The tarp (a big one) and protection from bugs. Am I on the right track?

Thanks for the offer, opie. We should pick a date a few months out before the beautiful Michigan summer is upon us.

sclittlefield is the member here you want to get ahold of for a tarp. http://backwoodsdaydreamer.webs.com/

I have a trip planned at the end of April on Drummond Island. Its not a backpacking trip. I am more into expedition trips, and as such the majority of our camping is based out of my truck, but in remote areas.

leroybrown
01-09-2010, 23:20
Those tarps look great - very reasonably priced as well.

If you don't mind tag-a-longs I might see if I could get something together before April. I think it would be a lot of fun for somebody to show me the ropes. What kind of a group do you have at this time opie?

opie
01-10-2010, 13:40
Those tarps look great - very reasonably priced as well.

If you don't mind tag-a-longs I might see if I could get something together before April. I think it would be a lot of fun for somebody to show me the ropes. What kind of a group do you have at this time opie?

Right now the trip is planned via http://www.upoverland.org/forum/index.php

http://www.upoverland.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=57

I have to stress... You MUST have a capable 4wd vehicle. My 05 Colorado with 31" tires and 2" lift is about minimum for Drummond Island. Especially in the tail end of winter.

Barefoot Child and I met up a couple nites ago so I could show him how to do some splicing.. He mentioned just having a GTG for coffee/tea and conversation. For the folks that have no interest in cold weather camping....

Shug
01-10-2010, 15:49
Hey Leroybrown ....
Most comfortable man in the whole dang town......
Shug