PDA

View Full Version : Canada>Alberta > Alberta Hammock Hangers

DevonHowton
02-05-2017, 13:58
Alberta Hangers. A place where local hammock hangers can unite.

I'm posting this thread as a place where any and all Alberta Hammock Hangers can come together and talk shop, trade ideas or plan a get-together.

02-05-2017, 21:47
I'm in Calgary. Long time lurker but don't own one yet. But that Dutch Chameleon is whispering...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chard
02-05-2017, 23:06
Great idea.

We've been doing an Ontario/Quebec/NY State group with the EGL for several years now and have been having amazing time. Just finished a winter hang!!

Great way to meet amazing folks.

Firesong
02-05-2017, 23:49
Excellent.
James in Saskatoon..

Tikker
02-08-2017, 20:32
also near Saskatoon here

Sventos
02-14-2017, 17:11
interested in getting some mountain hiking in. need to find some good routes for hammocking.

im geared up to -5 C

im a one car family but im kitted up to haul a canoe and 4 adults.

need a cargo bin to hold larger items.

YXE area as well.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>
thread hijack anywhere around yxe to hike hammock. Grey Owls in PA is still under renovation for the 150th.
could be canoed.
I paddled and hammocked otter Rapids area last year for the whitewater festival

Firesong
02-14-2017, 18:56
interested in getting some mountain hiking in. need to find some good routes for hammocking.

im geared up to -5 C

im a one car family but im kitted up to haul a canoe and 4 adults.

need a cargo bin to hold larger items.

YXE area as well.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>
thread hijack anywhere around yxe to hike hammock. Grey Owls in PA is still under renovation for the 150th.
could be canoed.
I paddled and hammocked otter Rapids area last year for the whitewater festival

Grey owl's road is still under construction. That bites. They should get their act together on that one. [emoji35]

Sventos
02-15-2017, 17:30
the national parks are offering free admission so its a reduced rate to visit this year but the back country camping fees still apply. the north end campsites at kingsmere lake have pads with trees close enough for hammock hanging in a few sites. last year was too wet for the road construction and walking bridge work to get completed, the cabin interior is also getting a repair so its locked to visitors.

does anyone in Alberta have a 2 day hike areas that work well for hammocking. any trouble spots for grizzlies lately? i dont have a bear can cache yet, it takes time to rig a bear line to hang food bags between trees. and i have seen appropriately hung canoe barrels opened on the ground.

I know two guys who hammock camped the WCT

Firesong
02-15-2017, 18:31
March 11/12 there is a Sask Outdoors winter camp out. It's going to be up at Waskesui this year. I usually attend in my hammock. Here's some details
http://saskoutdoors.org/event-calendar/post/winter-camping-skills-workshop-2017

Tikker
02-16-2017, 11:52
interesting.......

Caminante
02-16-2017, 12:18
I'm not in Alberta, but I used to live in Grande Prairie many years ago. I'm going to be in Calgary in mid-September and am also interested in a 2-3 day trip within several hours of Calgary. It looks like Banff is not so hammock-friendly depending on ranger discretion. I might risk it and take a z-rest for backup.

snidetripod
02-28-2017, 20:10
Howdy, SnideTripid from Edmonton. Looks like I won't be hanging for a bit.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170301/8d8d4df8d35728431108c0157ef23f29.jpgMy Superfly was stolen from my truck last week.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

DevonHowton
03-01-2017, 01:30
Howdy, SnideTripid from Edmonton. Looks like I won't be hanging for a bit. My Superfly was stolen from my truck last week.

Bummer dude. That sucks.

DevonHowton
04-06-2017, 22:16
Does anyone know where to find the rules and regulations for using a hammock in the Canada National Parks... Specifically Banff, Jasper, Kananaskis & Yoho. I've been looking on the web and I can't seem to find any official information.

DevonHowton
05-18-2017, 17:34
Is anyone interested in a hang in the Kananaskis area? I've got all my new gear and am excited to get out and use it. My regular days off are Wed / Thurs and I have Tues off every second week. I plan to be out every other week at least but I'd love to find some local Alberta Hangars, though I'm certainly not opposed to visitors from anywhere else that want to join in on the fun.

Firesong
05-18-2017, 18:48
Is anyone interested in a hang in the Kananaskis area? I've got all my new gear and am excited to get out and use it. My regular days off are Wed / Thurs and I have Tues off every second week. I plan to be out every other week at least but I'd love to find some local Alberta Hangars, though I'm certainly not opposed to visitors from anywhere else that want to join in on the fun.

Figure out a time and place a couple weeks ahead and I'll try to get the boss to let me zip out there from Saskatoon!

Petemit
05-19-2017, 00:31
Heya, I'm just in Edmonton. I have a weird 5 days on/5 days off schedule so I'm sometimes available for some mid week hikes/camp outs. And if anyone knows people that wanna try it out I've got a couple extra Hennessy asym ultralights as extras. Not ideal for bigger folks but I'm a smaller dude so that's just what I got :p

As far as national parks go, if you mention when you're booking spots that you have a hammock I've always been told that hammocks are a no go, but in person I've never been told to take it down and even had a couple rangers think it's pretty neat. So I dunno, maybe I've just been getting lucky.

So yeah, hopefully we can get a hang organized. All my buddies think I'm nuts, would be nice to meet some other folks that are as well, heh.

snidetripod
05-21-2017, 15:10
I want to hang, but I still have no tarp.

Firesong
05-22-2017, 12:48
I want to hang, but I still have no tarp.

Get a cheapie blue in the mean time. No excuse to not hang!

snidetripod
05-22-2017, 12:50
I found my Hennessey asym tarp. I can't get out at least, but the thief still my rigging bag. It had my pegs, tree traps and other guy lines. I'll have to make a new set of tree straps.