PDA

View Full Version : Bottom Insulation - Wool?

sbmcghee
01-08-2010, 21:30
Granted, you wouldn't want it for a long haul trek due to its weight but has anyone tried a wool blanket as bottom insulation in the same fashion you would lay on a pad? Or if you have some ability, you could try a wool UQ.

Like I said, its weight keeps it out of the pack for long hauls except for possible wool diehards. However, a wool blanket is pretty cheap and bulletproof. When wet it still provides something like 90% of its insulating value and it can multitask. Also it won't take a spark from a campfire unlike nylon that instantly light your butt up.

angrysparrow
01-08-2010, 21:37
...has anyone tried a wool blanket as bottom insulation...?

Have a look at some of the older Thermadrape threads (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7178). Fin used a TD, in conjunction with wool suiting to make a few UQ models.

Harpo63
01-08-2010, 22:11
We have recently, when sleeping in the hammock in the cool basement. Used the military surplus wool blanket. The biggest problem is it slides down to the lowest point if you move around unless the blanket is attached to the edges of the hammock somehow. However, it is warm when coupled with a top blanket or bag.

gargoyle
01-09-2010, 05:55
Ive used a fleece blanket before and it is warmer. But as mentioned be prepared to chase it around at night. It will walk all over your hammock. With the fleece, I experimented with stringing it up under the hammock, with elastic shock cord.

lonetracker
01-09-2010, 10:33
i have a clark na which has the sewn in underpockets.i stuff them with wool sweaters,and pants when it gets below 30(down to 16degf).very warm.slept in this many times with a 30deg mummy bag(zipped up) and fleece blanket. wearing long undies, wool sweater,socks and hat.allways woke up sweaty.never used a wool blanket for bottom insul but believe it would be worth trying,should not compress,and loose insulation factor as easily as say down.would deffinateally have to fasten it to the hammock,unless you like wigglin and readjusting.sometimes in the summer i use just a wool blankit to sleep in,works good,except for that unexpected 30 deg night.
hangin u.p.
bill

Fiddleback
01-09-2010, 11:50
I've used a fleece blanket too...when napping on the rope hammock in the backyard. I have seldom found a day when it was warm enough to go without such insulation but then I am near Missoula, MT.:D

The blanket does the trick for those western MT summer days...in the backyard during the day. Without beefing up the rest of my sleep system I wouldn't trust it much below 60° which is warmer than my warmest night on the trail in my home range.

FB

molawns
01-09-2010, 19:35
I've slept on top of a wool blanket before when I had my Clark NA. It was the best night's sleep I ever had... I believe that's what folks refer to as "hammock Zen" or "finding the sweet spot". Temps weren't very cold...mid 50's F. I had a thin fleece sleeping bag (the ones from WalMart) on top of the blanket to cut down on the "itch-factor".

They're heavy and bulky, but wool blankets are definitely the way to go. You're kind of limited to backyard and car campouts though, because of the weight/bulk.

I've never tried them as an actual "underquilt" outside the hammock.

cavscout
01-09-2010, 21:07
I've used a wool blanket inside the hammock and it worked fine except for the sliding others have mentioned. Your post though makes me think how cool it would be though to get a few yards of tartan cloth for an UQ for camping at highland games. It would be a bit pricey, but a neat look.

Wandering Bard
01-09-2010, 21:33
I always use my wool poncho (basically a wool blanket with a hole in the middle). I have little problem with it sliding around. I have slept in temps down to the mid 40's with no problem. Not sure how low it would keep me warm.

sbmcghee
01-09-2010, 22:44
IYour post though makes me think how cool it would be though to get a few yards of tartan cloth for an UQ for camping at highland games.

Glad to provide some use for a fellow Scot.

I wonder if the rubber shelving or antiskid rubber you put on the bottom side of rugs on tile or hardwood floors would help keep it from slipping.

tomsawyer222
01-09-2010, 23:58
If you had a double layer hammock you could stick it in there and no sliding problem...
but if not.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx38go8-Ig8

If you can manage it i would be impressed

BrianWillan
01-10-2010, 12:46
If you had a double layer hammock you could stick it in there and no sliding problem...
but if not.......

You could also use some grip clips to hold the wool blanket in place inside your hammock.

sbmcghee
01-10-2010, 12:55
but if not.......

I hope that guy never needs to get up and moving fast wrapped up like that. He's wrapped up in there better than a burrito.

tomsawyer222
01-10-2010, 14:03
I hope that guy never needs to get up and moving fast wrapped up like that. He's wrapped up in there better than a burrito.

Yeah but i truly wonder how well that wrapping is working out for him..

Generally all the wool blankets i have seen are too thick for grip clips but maybe the blanket could stretch some

WarmSoda
01-10-2010, 21:34
I've had really good luck with a wool blanket from Pendelton on the inside of my single layer hammock. It doesn't compress at all, so it would be hard to carry backpacking, but for nights around the house or car camping, I prefer that to CCF.

soysos
01-14-2010, 17:35
tie off two corners of the blanket to the ends of your hammock and fold the other two in.

oldgringo
01-14-2010, 17:50
I have a wool shirt with a Gore Windstopper lining. It is crazy warm. Warm, to the point that it is unwearable on all but the coldest of days.

A layer of Tyvek sewn to the outside of a wool blanket might prove surprising.

tomsawyer222
01-16-2010, 10:34
generally the advantage to wool is that it breaths so well which allows it too be used in a large temperature range adding tyvek or the windstopper membrain kinda defeats that....

oldgringo
01-16-2010, 11:04
generally the advantage to wool is that it breaths so well which allows it too be used in a large temperature range adding tyvek or the windstopper membrain kinda defeats that....

Maybe, but it lowers the floor of that range substantially, and might be a comfortable alternative to pads. I'm gonna try it, anyway. The cost is minimal.

Turtle Feet
01-16-2010, 11:21
Granted, you wouldn't want it for a long haul trek due to its weight but has anyone tried a wool blanket as bottom insulation in the same fashion you would lay on a pad? Or if you have some ability, you could try a wool UQ.

Like I said, its weight keeps it out of the pack for long hauls except for possible wool diehards. However, a wool blanket is pretty cheap and bulletproof. When wet it still provides something like 90% of its insulating value and it can multitask. Also it won't take a spark from a campfire unlike nylon that instantly light your butt up.

OK, I'll start by saying, I shouldn't even really be posting this as I don't own a hammock yet, and haven't had the chance to try one in an overnight situation so I'm not speaking with any experience, BUT, with that said - I do quilt....

Has anyone considered quilt batting? There are several options other than the fluffy white stuff that first comes to mind (cotton, wool, silk, bamboo). It can be easily cut to desired size, and is generally quite lightweight, yet very warm, and inexpensive. Of course it could be sandwiched between some nylon, but if it's inside the hammock that may not be necessary, wouldn't be waterproof if you didn't though.

As for the 'slippage' - I have no idea without actually trying it. If you work with a cotton batting (think super thin) you could sew little patches of some sort of non-slip item to one side of the batting in 3 or 4 key areas - like maybe the shelf-liner non-slip stuff (again, super light weight).

I'm leaning toward a Warbonnet blackbird - at 5'1" I'm wondering if I could get one made slightly shorter, don't need the length and extra weight. Haven't found any, but are there 'petite' size/weight hammocks?

KerMegan
01-16-2010, 11:27
nano 7 is shorter than most commercial hammock specs.
mostly being targeted at the Ultralight crowd, though, not the petite crowd.
see if you can try a few on, and see what works best for you- any hang/gathering being planned near you?
KM

Turtle Feet
01-16-2010, 12:14
nano 7 is shorter than most commercial hammock specs.
mostly being targeted at the Ultralight crowd, though, not the petite crowd.
see if you can try a few on, and see what works best for you- any hang/gathering being planned near you?
KM

Hey KM - thanks for the Nano tip! At first glance I thought 'nope', but I read a pretty thorough review and I'm thinking that the Nano might be one option.

I'm planning an AT thru-hike, so I'm wondering if the Nano might be a good option for the first month or so while I have added pack weight due to extra layering items. After I dump some clothing later on I could swap out that weight with something like the WB blackbird...like trading in a Yugo for a Mercedes SLE...lol!

As far as hang gatherings, I have no idea. I'll definitely check into that though. I must say, the backpacking I've done, I've seen hammocks in use and never thought I would even consider them, but sleeping on the ground doesn't hold the charm it used to. Up in the Boundary Waters the ground is mostly basalt rock formations - doesn't make for great sleeping.

Thanks for the reply KM!

sbmcghee
01-16-2010, 12:15
Since you having sewing abilities, try looking at Speer Hammocks (speerhammocks.com). They sell already manufactured hammocks but they also sell hammock and tarp kits so you can build your own. If you get their hammock kit, you can obviously tailor it to your specific dimensions so you're not carrying around more hammock than you need. The other nice thing about his hammocks is the bug netting is completely removable so you can leave it at home when the bugs aren't out.

Hodeman
01-16-2010, 13:38
Does anybody have any experience with the Speer Pea Pod? I can't help but believe this to be the absolute best system to keep warm in the cooler months of hammock camping. The system basically is a down sleeping bag that completely swallows your hammock around all sides. You don't crush the loft on the bottom because your hammock takes your weight and the pea pod hangs close to your butt underneath the hammock. This system basically eliminates the need for a sleeping bag and weighs in around 32 ounces complete. Its good down to about 20 degree's so they say. Intuitively I can't think of a superior system to this one. The only down side is they are expensive. Check it out yourself at www.speerhammocks.com/Products/PeaPod.htm

sbmcghee
01-16-2010, 13:46
Several people around here use Peapods and most people like them. I'd get one as well except for the reason you bring up, cost. Instead, I use a down sleeping bag along the same lines as a Peapod. JustJeff's site gives a lot of good info and that's where I got the sleeping bag idea, http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingWarm.html#Pull-up.

There was a long discussion on the Peapod over in the Speer section of the forum. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12735

Hodeman
01-16-2010, 14:21
Thanks mcghee!...I'm a newby in a candy store on this site. I still don't know what I don't know about this great forum...this is a very cool place!

tomsawyer222
01-16-2010, 15:52
Maybe, but it lowers the floor of that range substantially, and might be a comfortable alternative to pads. I'm gonna try it, anyway. The cost is minimal.

yeah but if you wrap it in tyvek and make it not breathable then why not just carry a CCF?

spidennis
01-17-2010, 07:04
back to the wool blanket idea....
I've used a wool blanket like a peapod.
when I first tried this with my eno I used a ridge line
and now with my blackbird I use the built in ridge line.
I clip the blanket to the ridge line
throw the blanket over to one side and up the other,
reclip it all and presto, a wool peapod.
I use a second blanket for the head end ...
of course two blankets weigh in at just over a ton and a half ....
but I just used this system just the other week ...
it was the chilliest night of the year,
got down to like 34 ish maybe .....
I was on my porch, just retesting this all out ....
can't let a cool night like this go by without using it!
I'll have to dig up a photo,
or set it back up and take a photo ......
it works great!
and never knew it got that chilly that night while in the hammock.
sure would like to test this out with lower temps someday .....

I had to wait for the sun to come up before I took these pics ....
http://www.sandslave.com/woolblanketpeapod1.jpg

http://www.sandslave.com/woolblanketpeapod2.jpg

tomsawyer222
01-17-2010, 09:08
yeah the great thing about the blanket is it has a ton of uses to go with its weight...
i have seen
full length jacket
sit pad
poncho
camp fire back warmer
tarp
hammock You can use one as a hammock if you have a 6 point or larger and rope it will hold you

and now we have a confirmed report of a peapod usage and probably an under quilt

canoebie
01-17-2010, 09:40
Just as a related side note, when we take groups on canoe trips in the "off season" that is other than June, July and August in northern lower Michigan, we take a wool blanket per person. They are great wraparounds while sitting around the fire, provide additional padding and insulation from the ground, and boost a sleeping bag rating by at least 10-20 degrees.

If it gets really cold I use one in my hammock, though I am good into the 20's with just a pad and a SB. I also had a wool blanket that had some holes in it from Traverse Bay Woolen Company and my wonderful wife made a pullover coat styled similar to what the Voyagers would have worn and there is nothing like it for warmth. Great paddling wear on a cold snowy or rainy day. Weight is an issue and for backpacking it would be prohibitive, however; a canoe can carry a lot of gear. I like wool, capilene, and polar tec in various combinations when I am out in the cold and on the river.

sbmcghee
01-17-2010, 11:04
Spidennis,

You didn't use any other kind of underinsulation with it? Just the wool blanket? Very cool.

Tom,

A tarp? That's one I had never thought of.

spidennis
01-17-2010, 13:42
Spidennis, You didn't use any other kind of underinsulation with it? Just the wool blanket? Very cool.

oh no, i had a pad and sb in there with me, but I was much too warm! I wanted to try shedding stuff to see what I can get away with, but wouldn't you know it, the weather got better, dang it! this is a tool in my bag of tricks that I'll be willing to use though when the time comes around again.

oldgringo
01-17-2010, 17:17
yeah but if you wrap it in tyvek and make it not breathable then why not just carry a CCF?

Tyvek is breathable...it is not a vapor barrier.

tomsawyer222
01-17-2010, 20:43
Tyvek is breathable...it is not a vapor barrier.

wrap yourself in tyvek and tell me its breathable.... if water cant get in water cant get out :lol:

if water can get out water can get in.. its a universal law

Hawk-eye
01-17-2010, 20:54
wrap yourself in tyvek and tell me its breathable....

From the Dupont webpage on Tyvek

DuPont™ Tyvek® brand protective covers are made from high-density polyethylene (HDPE) in a proprietary manufacturing process that creates a unique balance of properties that are ideal for a protective cover.

Protective covers manufactured with 100% DuPont™ Tyvek® provide superior protection from harmful environmental conditions, are lightweight and exceptionally breathable, and strong, durable and long lasting.

Barefoot Child
01-17-2010, 21:25
Hey Hawk-eye,
thanks for the post, sure clears up the breathable or not breathable thingee...doesn't it. :rolleyes:

PS--My house just got wrapped with it (TYVEK) this past summer before they put the new siding on.

tomsawyer222
01-18-2010, 18:42
From the Dupont webpage on Tyvek

DuPont™ Tyvek® brand protective covers are made from high-density polyethylene (HDPE) in a proprietary manufacturing process that creates a unique balance of properties that are ideal for a protective cover.

Protective covers manufactured with 100% DuPont™ Tyvek® provide superior protection from harmful environmental conditions, are lightweight and exceptionally breathable, and strong, durable and long lasting.

well if dupont says so then let no one stand in the way of that

Like i said wrap your self in tyvek building wrap not the clothing version and see how much you sweat

even in the clothing stuff we use it at work for confined space entry its hot and sweaty very quickly

TiredFeet
01-18-2010, 20:28
well if dupont says so then let no one stand in the way of that

Like i said wrap your self in tyvek building wrap not the clothing version and see how much you sweat

even in the clothing stuff we use it at work for confined space entry its hot and sweaty very quickly

Sweat is not vapor. Breathable materials pass water vapor, not necessarily liquid water. DWR coated ripstop nylon is breathable, but liquid water pools on it.

tomsawyer222
01-19-2010, 05:58
Sweat is not vapor. Breathable materials pass water vapor, not necessarily liquid water. DWR coated ripstop nylon is breathable, but liquid water pools on it.

thats my point you once you start sweating in them or on them you will be wet the liquid that gathers on the surface will form a vapor barrier

regardless in this application it would not work cause the fibers on a woolen blanket and very tough and would migrate thru tyvek anyway thats why most old wool comforters have cheese cloth inside it help contain it

tomsawyer222
01-19-2010, 06:04
I have a wool shirt with a Gore Windstopper lining. It is crazy warm. Warm, to the point that it is unwearable on all but the coldest of days.

A layer of Tyvek sewn to the outside of a wool blanket might prove surprising.

From the very beginning you illustrated my point a wool shirt with a lining is unwearable on all but the coldest days they takes away one of the two major advantages in wool its ability to thermo regulate your body temperature