PDA

View Full Version : Canada > Sask > Saskatoon_Area

Tikker
02-21-2017, 16:09
My Amok Draumr has arrived, and I'm looking to get some hanging done once the snow's gone

I know there's a few of us from the area, anyone know some decent spots within a few hours drive?

I've got a work buddy up at Emma Lake, and I'll probably doing a couple weekends up there with my Kayak

Firesong
02-22-2017, 01:22
I do a fair bit at Nisbet forest area. Not too far. Depends on the activities you want to do with the hammock / camping.

Tikker
02-22-2017, 09:50
I'm down with pretty much whatever. just want to put some nights in the hammock!

speaking of which, I've got a couple of hours to kill before the commute tonight. are you around between 530ish and 630ish?

OlTrailDog
02-22-2017, 15:22
The Kakwa was one of the most memorable trips I've made. I would say the same about Robson, gorgeous, but too many people and too many regulations. You have some HUGE country up in those parts that takes your breath away with it's beauty!

Sventos
02-23-2017, 19:55
Paddling side there is an island up river from Saskatoon which has cottonwood trees that has some nice grounds, it's within the 4hr paddle to Saskatoon down river I think it's just up river from baras beech

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sventos
02-23-2017, 19:56
I have my folding stand in my backyard when I really get the itch researching tree varieties to grow a stand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tikker
02-23-2017, 22:18
heh I hear you. I've got to pull down my deck and redo it this summer, and for some reason, there's this single 6x6 post 15 feet from the deck that keeps showing up inthe plans I show the wife....

Sventos
02-24-2017, 21:19
If you plan it right that extra post ends up near a fence or the house to be out of the way. Last summer, I tested my smoker and the hammock was a perfect space to monitor the digital thermometer, or the common pergola built with 15 foot spans

Firesong
02-25-2017, 10:17
I ended up putting a 4x4 in next to the fence post. (Braced the two together) and the shed I built just happens to work out great as the 'other post'

Firesong
02-25-2017, 10:19
Met up with Tikker yesterday. Glad to meet up with another close by hanger. Gotta see his hammock soon. Very curious!

Tikker
02-25-2017, 12:35
yup, I'll toss my pack in the car next week, so if we find a chance I can bring it over. I'm typically stuck killing an hour or 2 between 5 and 7 every wed and thurs waiting for the wife's clinic to finish

Sventos
02-27-2017, 23:09
I have to rig my cf hex tarp with guy lines, and I'm on the list for a chameleon. I feel like I'm still two months away before there will be adequate weather to get out for a few nights. The amok reminds me more of a lazy boy recliner then a hammock design which I worry about being to short for my height, it looks super comfy , I envision it being like my recliner and reaching too far back and tipping the chair over. Have you tinkered with its clearance range? It looks perfect for watching the stars as its sway would be more vertical

Tikker
02-27-2017, 23:52
well, where abouts are you Sventos? I'm going to have it with me in Saskatoon this week, and if the stars align, we might have it set up at Firesong's Little Shop of Hammocks ;)

I have an idea for a weather cover for it....

Firesong
02-28-2017, 10:32
well, where abouts are you Sventos? I'm going to have it with me in Saskatoon this week, and if the stars align, we might have it set up at Firesong's Little Shop of Hammocks ;)

I have an idea for a weather cover for it....

I've been looking at your idea in my mind. Over and over. Fun stuff.

Tikker
02-28-2017, 13:46
yeah, I brought it up to my wife too, she sews as well

the only thing I'm struggling with is how to get in and out, but I think I've got that worked out in my noodle

accurately describing that, or translating it to fabric might be a whole other ball of wax tho

Sventos
03-02-2017, 10:38
warm weather lining up for a weekend might be able to test out the underquilt some more with an overnight at home Friday.

you can tell when your itching to get out when you trust the long term weather forcast;)

Firesong
03-02-2017, 14:24
A friend and I are heading out Friday late afternoon for an overnighter. -3! I can check if we have space for more!?!